daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Old August 21st, 2008, 02:35 AM   #21
Big Texan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
More renderings. I'll also point out that at 925', this will be taller than Dallas' tallest, Bank of America Plaza.
by 5 feet, whopped dee doo, i didnt know there was a Dallas v Oklahoma City contest going on for tallest building in the Midwest. (Houston still beats both)

I would like to see it built but wont be surprised if it isn't built.
Big Texan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old August 21st, 2008, 02:53 AM   #22
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 47

gotta love the Express Elevators, straight to the top floors from the lower level. for the big shots! lol.

Oh, it will be built - Devon can pay CASH and still have billions left over. This isn't like the 1980's when OKC took a big hit due to the SnL situation. And natural gas is not the same as OIL - there's tons of it, and Devon controls MOST of it in the world.

Naaah, Im very confident this one will get built - of all the skyscraper proposals of today, this one is for sure!

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little taller (might as well break the 1,000 foot mark, it's only 75 feet - send those 3 top curtain walls up 75 more feet) - that for penis envy; then it's a supertall! lol.

As for Dallas - we all still love Dallas and it will always be the big D; but there were a LOT and I mean a LOT of corporate relocations from OKC to Dallas (and Houston) over the past 25 years (last one was 2005, long time OKC corporate citizen Kerr McGee to Houston). I think the 'point' about being taller than Dallas - was meant moreso for reference than anything, since many OKC residents had envy of Dallas getting everything.

Given OKC's renaissance of the past 15 years and the next 5 (which will surmount all that haapened in the 15); I would not be surprised at all if those relocations came back, and more. It was said, OKC is where Dallas was in the early 1980s, I can totally see that - you could too if you visit.

Perhaps OKC wont be as big as Dallas in the future, but it will forever be MUCH BETTER than what I grew up with and definitely should be a solid Tier II city (if you've seen/heard about all of the plans) - that's for sure.

I wish they could fast track this one, and start construction end of 2008 (or at least spring 2008). Like I said, Devon has the cash - and unanimous OKC approval! Get er dun!

Last edited by Hot Rod; August 21st, 2008 at 03:00 AM.
Hot Rod no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:08 AM   #23
Big Texan
BANNED

i didn't know we could do spring of 2008 again.
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:26 AM   #24
Dale

Likes (Received): 1595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texan View Post
i didn't know we could do spring of 2008 again.
You're hating this, aren't you ?
Dale no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:27 AM   #25
Darryl

Likes (Received): 24

My gosh! That's gorgeous! Congratulations OKC!

Those of us in Baltimore are so jealous we could spit!
Darryl no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:19 AM   #26
Big Texan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
You're hating this, aren't you ?
Im not jealous, its just kind of like "Hey Dallas, we are going to have a bigger tower then you!" and those of us in Dallas are like........."and your point? Chicago, New York, Houston, Atlanta, Las Angeles, Cleveland, Philadelphia and Seattle all have bigger towers. So what was that 'Taller then anything in Dallas' comment about?"

I mean, Good for Oklahoma City, its a great thing for a growing city, and can help to develop it to a recognizable skyline for the new NBA team on night shots. I would like to see it get built but hold back on the cockyness.
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM   #27
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 39

this is an outstanding office tower, and i'm sure it will get built, (big oil has ALOT of cash these days......!!!) not withstanding though, this looks like a great development for downtown Oklahoma City..!

The tower is just wonderful, sharp and elegant, a great signiture skyscraper....
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:37 AM   #28
StuckInOklahoma

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Im not jealous, its just kind of like "Hey Dallas, we are going to have a bigger tower then you!" and those of us in Dallas are like........."and your point? Chicago, New York, Houston, Atlanta, Las Angeles, Cleveland, Philadelphia and Seattle all have bigger towers. So what was that 'Taller then anything in Dallas' comment about?"

I mean, Good for Oklahoma City, its a great thing for a growing city, and can help to develop it to a recognizable skyline for the new NBA team on night shots. I would like to see it get built but hold back on the cockyness.
You're one to talk.
StuckInOklahoma no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:39 AM   #29
shane453

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Taller than anything in Dallas? Dallas is our regional Tier 1 city, and it's in a metro 6-7 times the size of ours. Dallas is the place OKC people go when they want to hit the big town. So it's kind of an interesting fact that it's taller than anything in Dallas. For us little OKC people. That's all. We've been starstruck by Dallas for decades, and now we are shellshocked to see that we are going to get something in our city that's on par with something we might expect from Dallas. So is it so much cockiness? I dont think... I mean, we know that we aren't a city on the level of Dallas or Seattle or Chicago- but we are about to have a building that is. It's neat.
shane453 no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:45 AM   #30
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Thumbs up

OOps, I meant spring 2009.

Honestly, knowing Larry Nichols (like I know him .... ,but still)

considering his 'public' track record - I would n't be surprised if we see construction much sooner than his predicted '3rd quarter 2009'. He ALWAYS downplays things so that people dont over react or get things blown out. Just like this tower - he pre-announced it at least two years ago, that he wanted to build a new skyscraper downtown. But he said, the time wasn't right, but he will do it. He also said, he wasn't concerned about height or being the tallest. Then, months ago, he said it would be iconic but he wasn't concerned about height - and that he didn't want to rush construction in consideration for downtown (he doesn't want to dump a whole bunch of office space on downtown OKC if it isn't ready to absorb it).

He really cares about OKC - I can see, if building owners market their space that Devon is currently in well; it wouldn't be long to get that absorbed (esp since it is at least 3 year horizon b4 Devon would vacate).

Like I say - Nichols downplays very exciting news. He's up to something, especially considering the unanimous city approval and he has the cash!
Hot Rod no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:50 AM   #31
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Quote:

I agree B-T.

I just think many in OKC have had to put up with so much sh*t from Dallas over the years that they're a little excited that the tower will be taller than anything in the big D. You have to admit, Dallas has had the BEST of OKC for many years ------, lots of companies and residents moving to dallas from OKC since the 70's. And Dallas depends(ed) on OKC so much - so much so that OKC is more or less a exurb in many ways, an extended market for Dallas.

Now to have something of their own - a sense of pride. I think that's all it is. Dallas will still be the Big D - just like you said, many cities have taller buildings than Dallas but Dallas is still better than most cities (save Chicago, NY, LA, and SF IMO and Im sure most would agree).

Let OKC have their fun, dont take too personal - I think they deserve a moment of spotlight.

That said, honestly

Is Dallas on the same level as Chicago? I agree, it is on the same level as Seattle; but Seattle isnt on the same level as Chicago.

New York, Chicago and LA (and SF), those are the only Tier I World Class cities in every aspect. I think SF is borderline, but probably is in most aspects.

Dallas is a top Tier II city, probably on the top of Tier II - with Philly, DC, Boston, and Miami (maybe these 5 are at the low end of Tier I but I definitely would not put them at the same level of NY, Chicago, etc on ANY ranking). Then comes Atlanta, Houston, and Seattle - strong Tier II cities. Then Denver, MSP, Detroit, Baltimore, Phoenix, STL. Then would come Indy, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincy, KC .... OKC being at the very end of Tier II I'd say.

Nothing against Dallas or Seattle (I live here), but honestly - we aren;t at the same level as chicago and NY. By any measure! But for sure, Dallas is WAY ahead of OKC, no argument - everyone knows that. Shoot, Dallas is ahead of Seattle, if we didn't have the water and mountains - we wouldn't even be ranked so highly (especially given our politicians......)

Last edited by Hot Rod; August 21st, 2008 at 09:01 AM.
Hot Rod no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:04 AM   #32
SimsPlanet2

Likes (Received): 184

Amazing design. Very nice!
SimsPlanet2 no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:26 PM   #33
Colonel Cadillac

Likes (Received): 4

Wow I am speachless. Had to log in just for this. This height and this this location...what a pleasant surprise. And from my new favorite architecture firm too. Congrats!
Colonel Cadillac no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:51 PM   #34
MDguy
Balto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
More renderings. I'll also point out that at 925', this will be taller than Dallas' tallest, Bank of America Plaza.
Really? Now THAT is impressive!! Congrats about that too to having a chance at having the tallest tower in that region. Thats Hard to believe! good for OKC This puts so many cities in shame
Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:38 AM   #35
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 75

Color me impressed. We don't get many of these in the heartland.
meh_cd no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:58 AM   #36
SRG
keep jivin.

Likes (Received): 2

Why is any time OKC gets something like a new NBA team or a new thousand-footer or a top ranking on Forbes or anything so controversial?

I'd really like to know why people on this forum get pissed anytime more great news comes out of OKC.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:54 AM   #37
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 68

Great for OKC and I really see this happening. Now we have to wait until 2009, keep this thread updated with updates!

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:36 AM   #38
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 220

Kind of surprising. Haven't seen much of anything this scale even proposed in this region for years. A beauty, too.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM   #39
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 16

Truly amazing tower. Haven't see such a simple and clear design since the Comcast tower in Philly. Congratulations to the architect.
romanamerican no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM   #40
Indywatch

CONCRATS OKC! Beautiful tower. Hope it gets built. Wish Indy could get a new tallest, but that's probably not gonna happen for a long time.
Indywatch no está en línea  

Tags
oklahoma city