daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > General Forums > Projects and Construction

Projects and Construction Developments in Africa

Closed Thread

Old August 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM   #41
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairoberry View Post
a road construction project near Isiolo town, about 320 km (200 miles) north from the capital Nairobi, July 7, 2008. The road which will join Isiolo town and Ethiopia is being built by China Wuyi, a Chinese state company, and funded by African Development Bank and the Kenyan government. The project will cost 48 billion Kenya shillings ($735 million), according to the Chinese company. Picture taken on July 7, 2008.

I hope one day i'll drive from Nairobi to A.A. on this one.

Sponsored Links

Old August 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM   #42
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairoberry View Post
the laying of the underwater cable has already started. kenya descided to spearhead her own project called TEAMS. TEAMS, financed by kenya and elsalat(of dubai) will link the country with the rest of the world via dubai. so far TEAMS is said to be ahead of the other 2 which are EASSy(ownership issues esp from S.A are slowing it down) and SEACOM.

laying terrestial fiber optic cable in kenya in preparation of the undersea cabLE.

Kenyan engineers working on the cable
And we will finally say goodbye to ''snail-net''. I think practically every major town and all cities have been networked with fibre optic cable now.

Last edited by Kenguy; August 21st, 2008 at 12:36 PM.
Kenguy no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:40 AM   #43
nairoberry

Likes (Received): 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
I hope one day i'll drive from Nairobi to A.A. on this one.
wouldnt that be a kickass road trip? lets wait and see
nairoberry no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:41 AM   #44
nairoberry

some road construction in nakuru

Old September 12th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #45
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 171

Do all the megaprojects in Kenya have to be road improvement projects? There should be other megaprojects, but I don't know of any.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #46
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Do all the megaprojects in Kenya have to be road improvement projects? There should be other megaprojects, but I don't know of any.

There are other projects from large scale housing projects, hotels to airports/ports but getting renders is proving hard to get.

In any case, the roads are one of the biggest concern for most Kenyans given the level of decay especially during Moi's regime.
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #47
nairoberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
half of the first page on this thread is filled with housing and power generation pictures that are under construction. plus as kenguy said, roads are of a major priority in kenya
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #48
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Likes (Received): 2856

I am proud of what Kenya is doing ....good job. kenyans always hard working.

I'm from DRC
BUTEMBO21 está en línea ahora  
Old September 16th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #49
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTEMBO21 View Post
I am proud of what Kenya is doing ....good job. kenyans always hard working.

I'm from DRC
Thanx Butembo. I really appreciate that.
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #50
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

What suprise me is that kenya don't have much minerals or oil but manages to things than those who have plenty.
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #51
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTEMBO21 View Post
What suprise me is that kenya don't have much minerals or oil but manages to things than those who have plenty.
I guess our main resource are the people.
Old September 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #52
africanman

Likes (Received): 1

Minerals and Oil are great but I think lack of these resourses in abunance has forced Kenya to diversify and this is always good. I have always thought that decentralization was the best way to go and recognizing cities like Mombasa, Kisumu and Nakuru as great places to do bussiness will make Kenya stronger. Spreading the "wealth" generates more wealth and this will make other cities wealthier and more appealing to investors.
africanman no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:44 AM   #53
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanman View Post
Minerals and Oil are great but I think lack of these resourses in abunance has forced Kenya to diversify and this is always good. I have always thought that decentralization was the best way to go and recognizing cities like Mombasa, Kisumu and Nakuru as great places to do bussiness will make Kenya stronger. Spreading the "wealth" generates more wealth and this will make other cities wealthier and more appealing to investors.
Good point , really true i can't or any body else argue with that.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:27 AM   #54
muhana

More roads

Chesoi Road - 51km from Chesoi to Chesonga

Machakos-Masii Road - 78km

Rehabilitation of Mai Mahiu - Naivasha - Lanet Road

muhana no está en línea  
Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:34 AM   #55
muhana

My source was www.hyoung.com
muhana no está en línea  
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:47 AM   #56
Kenguy

Thanx muhana. I used the new Lanet-Nakuru highway yesterday and I have to admit its superb. They are now working on the Nakuru-Mau summit section and later they will do the Kisumu one.
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #57
Kenguy

I hope we will get the renders for this project: A 21 storey hotel for Nairobi.

Investor lifts confidence in Kenya with Sh547m hotel

Business Africa Daily.
Tuesday, 23 September 2008
[NAIROBI]

Written by Morris Aron

Kenya’s economy, has received its biggest mark of confidence yet following revelations that Mukesh Ambani — one of the world’s richest men — is set to build a 21 storey five-star hotel in Nairobi’s central business district.

The development is particularly key to rebuilding confidence in the hospitality sector that was among the most battered by the turmoil.

Mr Ambani, who has been eyeing the Kenyan hospitality scene for the past three years, is said to have picked his cheque book once again and is set to move in large amounts of cash into Kenya for a piece of the rapidly growing quality hotel rooms market in Nairobi.

Documents seen by the Business Daily indicate that the Indian tycoon — who is expected to be in Nairobi in the next couple of months to inspect the building plans — has set aside close to a billion shillings to put up the ultra modern hotel through Delta Resources, a company he fully owns.

The hotel— to be known as Delta Hotel —will be located on the 0.2 hectare plot of land between the Grand Regency, Barclays Plaza, Nyati House and Loita Street.

When complete, the hotel will be the height of Teleposta Towers, dwarfing the neighbouring Grand Regency. Construction is expected to take two years.

This development at the heart of Nairobi is expected to further reduce parking space in Nairobi’s CBD as the space earmarked for the project is in use as a car park that takes in about 200 cars.

An artist’s impression of the hotel seen by Business Daily shows that it will house a health club, an entertainment complex among other services.

The building will have four levels of parking space, five internal lifts and two elevators. Also included in the plan is a shopping mall and rental office spaces.

The construction project is being managed by the TMS Consulting Group which Mr Ambani and a Kuwaiti firm — Arrow Webtex — acquired recently as they positioned themselves to enter Kenya’s real estate market.

Delta Hotel will have 21,000 square metre of space to let and is expected to add competitive pressure in the top segment of the hospitality market that is currently dominated by big players such as the Intercontinental, the Norfolk, the Nairobi Hilton, Nairobi Serena, Safari Park, Holiday Inn, Panari, the Stanley and Grand Regency.

Work on the project is currently awaiting approval from the National Environment Management Authority (Nema), who must conduct an environmental impact assessment.

Plans to build the hotel were rekindled early this year when City Hall approved of the building plan. Mr Ambani is said to have decided to build the hotel after two other business proposals fell by the wayside based on assessments that showed the ideas would not maximise use of the parcel of land that has for a long time been used as a parking lot.

The Indian tycoon had wanted to build an upmarket school and hospital as well as a green park on the site.

His decision to enter the hospitality industry is being seen as the clearest indication yet that the first quarter crisis eroded, but did not wipe out Kenya’s positive rating in the investor community whose entry and participation in the domestic economy had significantly risen by the close of last year.

Before Kenya went into elections last December, growth in the tourism industry had peaked to historical highs positioning the sector as the country’s foreign exchange earner that raked in Sh65.4 billion according to the Kenya Tourist Board.

In the past three years, tourism earnings have been particularly boosted by the rapid growth in business and conference tourism as Nairobi reclaimed its position as East and Central Africa’s hub.

Last year, for instance, this emergence of Nairobi as a top player in conference tourism had stretched the hotel industry’s capacity to its limits – catching the attention of international players like Mr Ambani.

Industry estimates show that Nairobi has less than 1,500 quality hotel rooms and cannot cope with any sudden rise in demand from big conferences and peak tourist seasons.

Real estate market players say construction of a new hotel at the heart of Nairobi would give the city enough headroom to grow its tourism industry that was until last December facing a squeeze as more multi-nationals set base in Kenya and Nairobi raised its stature as a regional conference hub.

Besides Delta, a number of international hotel brand names are looking to build or partner with local players to set up new facilities in Nairobi.

The Rezidor SAS, Kempinski, Accor and Prime Properties are just but a few names that have in the recent past shown interest in Kenya’s hospitality industry.

Placid View, a property firm, has invested Sh750 million to convert into a hotel a building which housed the American embassy on Mombasa Road before they relocated to Gigiri.

The hotel — to be known as Ole-Sereni — will have 134 rooms and overlooks both Mombasa Road and the Nairobi National Park. It is set to be opened before the end of the year.

Another international player —The Rezidor SAS —is also planning to invest millions of shillings to construct a new luxury hotel in Nairobi’s Upper Hill area by 2010.

Upper Hill has recently been taking shape as an up-market real estate location that many believe is set to be Nairobi’s financial and commercial hub. The hotel is owned by Elgon Road Developments Limited and will be run under one of Rezidor SAS brands as the Radisson Hotel.

These developments come after Kempinski Hotels Worldwide, an international hotel chain from Germany, expressed interest in entering the Kenyan market.

Accor Hotels of France has also shown interest in Kenya while Prime Properties, a South African Company has been scouting partners in the local scene.

These developments mark the first wave of interest ever in Kenya’s hospitality industry since the acquisition of Lonrho Group of Hotels by Kingdom Hotel Investments, Fairmont Hotels and Resorts and Kuwait-based IFA Hotels and Resorts three years ago for $30 million (Sh2 billion at exchange rates prevailing then).

The five units on sale included The Norfolk, Mt. Kenya Safari Club, The Ark, Aberdare Country Club and Mara Safari Club — which are some of Kenya’s better known resorts.
Old October 5th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #58
nairoberry

i cant wait for that building i hope its a stylish building.
Old October 5th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #59
nairoberry

some construction pics thanx to kenguy

Mombasa road:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Some huge housing projects being built in the Embakasi suburb, as seen from Mombasa road.

image hosted on flickr

Dual carriage highway being constructed and it sure is wide. (This is near the JKIA turnoff.)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

New industrial parks around Mlolongo/Mavoko.( I also understand they are constructing BPO outsourcing call centres here.)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Suburbs springing up all over the plains of Athi river. (It's bound to be E. Africa's largest suburban sprawl given the number of housing projects here.)

image hosted on flickr

New cement factory U/C. The old portland cement factory is also undergoing expansion.

image hosted on flickr

Pillars for a flyover over the highway.

image hosted on flickr

I think this is one of the underpasses for the Athi River/Namanga highway interchange.

image hosted on flickr

Dhuks liked this post
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #60
You are to blame

Likes (Received): 14

thanks for all the info and pics nairoberry

You are to blame no está en línea  

Closed Thread