daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Old August 24th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #121
Hed_Kandi
BANDITO

Likes (Received): 3165

Updated August 24
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 24th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #122
Hed_Kandi
BANDITO

Updated August 24
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #123
raggedy13

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
vancouver's doing a lot of building,, which is definitely good

but i have to ask....do they have any greenery? parks? social space?
There is plenty of greenery and parks but the city could use some improvement when it comes to large plazas/squares. The city's premiere square is Robson Square. It is a space with a lot of potential but because of a somewhat poor design it doesn't work so great at providing space for large events/gatherings despite being in a very high pedestrian traffic area. Essentially it is an over-landscaped space that looks great but doesn't provide the large, visible, flexible area that the city really requires of it. Some improvements are being made to it at the moment however which should help but likely won't be too radical. And related to yet separate from Robson Square is the Georgia Street plaza out front of the Vancouver Art Gallery:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Some other larger plaza space would be part of the Vancouver Public Library. It has a great interior courtyard, and a north and south plaza outside. The south one is a great space but not really big enough to serve as a major city square. The north one is a good size and flexible space but the area surrounding it is a little underutilized in terms of development so it doesn't generate a ton of use itself. I'm sure that'll change somewhat as parcels surrounding it get redeveloped into forms that generate more traffic.

Aside from those two areas that come immediately to mind, there are various other, smaller spots as well - like the BC Place concourse, Granville Square, the Harbour Green Park plaza and waterpark, and probably some other obvious spots I can't think of at the moment. And of course the seawall that wraps around downtown and beyond is a great public space that gets a lot of use.

VPL south plaza:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Granville Square:
image hosted on flickr

Harbour Green Park:

There will be a nice new waterfront plaza as part of the convention centre expansion. It should be a great space and being tied into the seawall it should get some decent pedestrian traffic. Another potential new plaza could be along False Creek - tied into the upcoming waterfront Vancouver Art Gallery development. We'll also be getting a new plaza with the Olympic Village currently u/c that will form the heart of the up-and-coming Southeast False Creek neighbourhood. The Woodward's development in the Downtown Eastside will also have an interior courtyard.

Convention Centre:

from bcit.ca

from globalairphotos.com

by ttcopley at flickr.com

Art Gallery concept:

from timescolonist.com

Olympic Village:
image hosted on flickr

If you want to see any images of the many parks/greenery around downtown just let me know.

Last edited by raggedy13; September 7th, 2008 at 11:56 PM.
raggedy13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #124
Canuck514

Likes (Received): 18

uh, what about Stanley Park? Isn't it the largest urban park in N.A.?
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #125
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 48

Stanely Park doesn't really fit the plaza/square criteria, which is what he was referring to.
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #126
raggedy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck514 View Post
uh, what about Stanley Park? Isn't it the largest urban park in N.A.?
What ^he said. Also, it is somewhat of a common misconception that it's the largest. It's definitely one of the biggest in NA but I believe there are a few larger ones. But yes I would've got into the parks/greenery aspect but I felt my post was big enough as it was. I can post some info on the parks a bit later. No time now.
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #127
Smallville

Likes (Received): 1

Beautiful City!
Smallville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #128
CJ San Andreas

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
Last Updated: September 07, 2008

Vancouver, Canada

Canada's most beautiful city has more in common with San Francisco than Toronto. Despite it being very wet it's a prime location for Hollywood film shoots -the setting is spectacular. Ocean and mountains form a dramatic backdrop to the gleaming commercial towers of downtown where you'll find spectacular restaurants and cafe's after a 'swim-in-the-morning', 'ski-in-the-afternoon' day. Trace the city's history in Gastown and Chinatown, savour the wilderness only blocks from the city centre in Stanley Park and dine on superb ethnic or Pacific Northwest cuisine before sampling those clubs and bars.

Wow ! Vancouver is Amazing
CJ San Andreas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #129
Canuck514

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber73 View Post
Stanely Park doesn't really fit the plaza/square criteria, which is what he was referring to.
I believe he said 'greenery, parks, etc...'

Not sure if you meant to sound condescending, but that is how I interpreted your remark. Perhaps you should be more welcoming to those visiting the site of your beautiful city.
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #130
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 48

Nope. Not trying to be condescending. Just pointing out what raggedy was talking about. Just read his last post...
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #131
raggedy13

I didn't get the impression he was being condescending. He was really just helping me out. But anywho, no hard feelings all around I hope?

Anyways, I thought I'd post some info on parks/greenery now. I'll just focus on the downtown peninsula otherwise this could be a very long post... but I'll just add that the city and metro has small and huge parks interspersed all through it from urban pocket parks to effective nature preserves. Also, as soon as you travel about 30 mins north of downtown you're essentially in open wilderness as there are undevelopable mountains that stretch on and on complete with bears and every other form of native wildlife which often wander into the northern suburbs. Even just a month ago in the southern-most suburbs (South Surrey) I saw a deer wandering through a decades old subdivision. Other common wildlife that can be spotted within the city and metro are raccoons, coyotes, opossums, beavers, and a ridiculous amount of bald eagles.

Alright, now back to downtown. The largest green space by far on the downtown peninsula is Stanley Park. It rivals the built-up area of downtown in size and contains things from man-made attractions like the Vancouver Aquarium to dense conifer forest and beaches. It is one of the largest urban parks in the world, and is definitely one of the largest that actually abuts a downtown (it actually borders one of the densest urban neighbourhoods in North America - The West End).

image hosted on flickr

by crazyscot @flickr.com

Aquarium entrance
image hosted on flickr

by hobbes8calvin @flickr.com

image hosted on flickr

by moknits @flickr.com

by me

by me

by me

by me

by me

image hosted on flickr

by me

by me

by me

by me

by me

by me

The Second Beach Pool

by me

Second Beach

by me

I'll post on some smaller downtown parks a bit later.

Last edited by raggedy13; September 9th, 2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #132
paytonc
Pragmatist

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
but i have to ask....do they have any greenery? parks? social space?
Vancouver residents have, by far, the easiest access to green space of any city I've ever been to. A quick walk away from downtown and you can stand among thousand-year-old trees. The downtown peninsula, including Stanley Park, is ringed by a 14-mile waterfront walking/cycling path -- nearly as long as Chicago's lakefront path, but instead of lying next to a big stinking freeway, it's right in the backyard of all those glittery condos. The path links to North America's second-largest network of "bicycle boulevards," after Portland.

Half an hour north of downtown (by car or $3.25 ferry+bus) you're at the edge of civilization. I don't recommend it, but you could hike through the mountains from there up to the Arctic Ocean (1,500 miles away, about the distance from Baltimore to Denver) and meet very few people along the way. You might meet Bigfoot, though! What I do recommend is taking the bus to the ski slopes just above North Van. And half-hour southwest of downtown is, well, a nude beach, something else not found in most other cities.

Closer to home, Vancouver is a fairly young city, which steps down to single-family houses (with overgrown-by-Canadian-standards gardens) just outside downtown. The glassy towers don't cover much ground -- indeed, it sometimes feels a little *too* wide open at street level, with every single complex having an elaborate garden and ornamental pond outside. The larger developments are required to have public parks, like the popular David Lam Park in the middle of Concord Pacific's development.

There aren't many showstopper parks in Vancouver as of yet -- even Stanley feels a bit slapdash, with many attractions scattered about the edges of its wilderness -- but give it a little more time to "grow up."
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #133
Indictable

Likes (Received): 24

It's so true! Every word, when I lived there I noticed particuarly the public parks. Stanley Park was a showstopper for me!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:08 PM   #134
Hed_Kandi
BANDITO

Updated Jan. 3
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #135
raggedy13

Here is a bit of a construction update done by Delirium at SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
here's a bunch of pics i took this morning. crappy lighting outside.. sorry bout that.

1022 living. i like the dark glass on the commercial podium.

vita

Atelier. i love the podium. it's huge and has a big impact along homer..

woodward's

cbc redevelopment

tv towers

i like the grey stone being installed. this will be a waterfall when complete

Raffles - robson street frontage

Raffles - cambie frontage

renovated building in yaletown

Donovan

notice the balcony railings? blah. but the stone base is nice. didn't expect that.

looks like reno's are starting at the best western on granville

granville street

on a sunny day..

all photos by me
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #136
raggedy13

We've also got a another (our 4th) metro ("SkyTrain") line starting up construction:

Thanks to deasine for the following info...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine

Quote:
What is the Evergreen Line Project?
The Evergreen Line is a new rapid transit line that connects Coquitlam Town Centre to Vancouver via Port Moody and Burnaby, starting at Lougheed Town Centre Station in Burnaby and ending near Douglas College in Coquitlam.

The Evergreen Line will be a fast, frequent and convenient SkyTrain service, connecting Coquitlam Town Centre through Port Moody to Lougheed Town Centre in approximately 13 minutes. The Evergreen Line will seamlessly connect to the current SkyTrain network, including the Expo, Millennium and Canada Lines, and will integrate with regional bus and West Coast Express networks.

The Evergreen Line is an essential element of The Provincial Transit Plan and the federal Building Canada Plan.

Route Alignment
The Evergreen Line will run north from Lougheed Town Centre on an elevated track along North and Clarke Roads, before entering a tunnel in the vicinity of Como Lake Avenue and emerging near Barnet Highway north of Clarke Road in Port Moody. Through Port Moody, the route will travel at-grade on the south side of the Canadian Pacific (CP) Rail lines before transitioning to the north side near the Port Moody/Coquitlam boundary. The Evergreen Line will continue next to the CP Rail lines to the West Coast Express Station in Coquitlam and will then run on an elevated track along Pinetree Way, ending near Douglas College in Coquitlam.

Stations
The Evergreen Line will have six primary stations: Lougheed, Burquitlam, Port Moody/West Coast Express, Ioco, Coquitlam/West Coast Express and Coquitlam City Hall/Douglas College.

These stations will drive system ridership growth by serving major destinations, connecting existing population and employment centers, and integrating with the existing transit network.

These station locations will promote use by ensuring the line is fast, convenient and competitive with other travel choices.

Up to two additional station locations along the Evergreen Line may be considered based on their ability to shape land use, stimulate increased system ridership through transit oriented development, and be affordable.

Project Goals

Provide fast, frequent and convenient rapid transit from Coquitlam to Vancouver
via Port Moody and Burnaby
  • Provide rapid transit for the communities of Burnaby, Vancouver, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, Anmore and Belcarra

Improve the transportation network throughout Metro Vancouver
  • Integrate travel modes and provide connectivity to the wider transit network
  • Seamlessly connect with the current SkyTrain network

Increase transportation choice
  • Support a reduction in auto use by providing an alternative to single occupancy vehicles
  • Increase transit mode share
  • Increase transit capacity in the Northeast sector
  • Ensure speed and reliability of the system
  • Support growth management

Support municipal growth management targets established by the region’s Livable Region Strategic Plan
  • Contribute to community building by stimulating future concentrated and mixed-use development
  • Support existing development and provide support for a positive business environment

Support environmental sustainability initiatives
  • Support provincial environmental goals by reducing regional car trips
  • Meet regional and local environmental objectives to preserve green space
  • Encourage pedestrian traffic along corridor
Source: Evergreen Line Website, Ministry of Transportation

Quote:
PROJECT OFFICE OPENING LAUNCHES EVERGREEN LINE
COQUITLAM – Construction of the Evergreen Line is taking a major step forward with the opening of the Evergreen Line Project Office, announced Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Kevin Falcon, federal Canadian Heritage and Official Languages Minister James Moore and TransLink CEO
Tom Prendergast today.

“The Evergreen Line will vastly improve transit options for people in Metro Vancouver’s northeast quadrant,” said Falcon. “It will also be a big boost to the region’s economy, providing over 8,000 direct and indirect jobs.”

“The Evergreen Sky Train extension will improve the quality of life of Tri-City residents by creating more transportation choices, cutting traffic, and by reducing pollution,” said Moore. “Our government is proud to be a partner in this project.”

Using SkyTrain technology, the 11-kilometre Evergreen Line will link neighbourhoods in Burnaby, Port Moody and Coquitlam and be fully integrated into the existing system, connecting directly onto the Millennium Line at Lougheed Station.

“Not only is the Tri-Cities area growing, we know that it’s the destination for a third of the commuters that today drive across the Port Mann Bridge from the South of Fraser,” said Prendergast.

“The Evergreen Line, linking to a new RapidBus service from Highway 1 at the Lougheed Station, has huge potential to attract substantial numbers of people from cars to rapid transit.”

The Evergreen Line will provide fast and frequent service to downtown Vancouver – improving the transit network throughout Metro Vancouver and facilitating economic growth and regional job creation. The Project Office will advance the Evergreen Line Project through design and construction
and will provide the public with the opportunity to learn more about the project, meet with staff, and give feedback and input as design and construction proceeds. Construction of the Evergreen Line is scheduled to begin in late 2010 and be completed in late 2014.

The Evergreen Line is jointly funded by the Government of Canada (up to $416.7 million), the Government of British Columbia ($410 million) and TransLink ($400 million). Approximately $350 million of the federal contribution is from the Building Canada Fund. The $1.4-billion project is a key component of the Provincial Transit Plan.
Source: The Government of British Columbia - http://evergreenline.gov.bc.ca/docum...l_Feb28_09.pdf

Video Articles
Global TV BC: http://canwest.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m...Object=3738868

Last edited by raggedy13; March 10th, 2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #137
raggedy13

In August, our third metro line will be opening - the Canada Line:

Thanks to mr.x2 for posting the following pics in the transportation subforum...
Quote:

image hosted on flickr

Old March 12th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #138
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 163

That's great! Is Vancouver ready for Winter Olympic Game 2010?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #139
Hed_Kandi
BANDITO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
That's great! Is Vancouver ready for Winter Olympic Game 2010?
All olympic venues/projects are either completed or are ahead of schedule.
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #140
Hed_Kandi
BANDITO

Updated first page on April 10 to reflect new proposal for David and Bidwell

Tags
vancouver