daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #41
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comdot View Post
it would.
Am pretty its not. I've looked it up.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 19th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #42
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlefield Andy View Post
Is John Whittaker dressing up? Gotta see that.
They will have hired goons. They'll be on minimum wage and sure they'll have a supervisor watching them.
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #43
Castlefield Andy

Likes (Received): 0

According to this http://www.piccadillymanchester.com/...072008list.doc there is sod all on tommorrow? What is the link to Peel?
Castlefield Andy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #44
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlefield Andy View Post
According to this http://www.piccadillymanchester.com/...072008list.doc there is sod all on tommorrow? What is the link to Peel?
I don't think its anything major. Its outside that road show for TiF I think. Its not official as one would call it.
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #45
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 339

Some middle aged men in Rush tee shirts banging on about state surveillence, fathers rights and Congestion Charge.

Thats what you see from the antis tomorrow.

Would be interesting to see what they actually look like. The only one I have seen trudging the streets of Prestwich looks like that depressant off Little Britain in the shop with a mac.

Last edited by heatonparkincakes; August 19th, 2008 at 10:16 PM.
heatonparkincakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #46
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2892

Place North west

Peel secures £450m refinancing of ports, property
19 August 2008, 15:51

Peel Holdings has refinanced two of its subsidiaries in separate deals with a range of banks.

Lloyds TSB led a syndicate of five banks in offering facilities of up to £250m to Peel Land Holdings. In the second deal, Bank of Scotland extended a facility of up to £202m to Peel Land and Property (Ports No. 3).

Legal adviser Addleshaw Goddard said the refinancing work was a fundamental part of Peel's re-organisation of its property assets and group of companies.

Addleshaw's Manchester-based banking team was led by partner Helen Corner and managing associate Tim McNamara with legal director Richard Chandler and trainee Martin Eid. Real estate advice was provided by partner Jenny Cromack and associate Sarah Creasey.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #47
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Place North west

Peel secures £450m refinancing of ports, property
19 August 2008, 15:51

Peel Holdings has refinanced two of its subsidiaries in separate deals with a range of banks.

Lloyds TSB led a syndicate of five banks in offering facilities of up to £250m to Peel Land Holdings. In the second deal, Bank of Scotland extended a facility of up to £202m to Peel Land and Property (Ports No. 3).

Legal adviser Addleshaw Goddard said the refinancing work was a fundamental part of Peel's re-organisation of its property assets and group of companies.

Addleshaw's Manchester-based banking team was led by partner Helen Corner and managing associate Tim McNamara with legal director Richard Chandler and trainee Martin Eid. Real estate advice was provided by partner Jenny Cromack and associate Sarah Creasey.
Peel have access to £450 Million in loans?
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM   #48
Radley

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
Peel have access to £450 Million in loans?
and the rest - that's just two subsidiary companies. the group consists of more than 250 companies, nobody's sure how many.
Radley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #49
jrb
10th February 2008

So Peel want to help both Manchester and Liverpool to come together. How nice of them. Somebody will lose out and it won't be Peel.

MEN online.

Peel supremo seeks planning revolution
Chris Barry
8/ 9/2008

PEEL Holdings boss John Whittaker has called for the North West Regional Development Agency (NWDA) to be given special planning power over his £50bn Ocean Gateway project to transform the Manchester Ship Canal.

Speaking to more than 100 business leaders on a chartered ferry along the 50 mile route he outlined the scale of the project.

Over the next 20 years, Peel plans to establish the River Mersey and Manchester Ship Canal corridor as a key source of up to 50,000 new jobs and 40,000 new homes.

Chairman Mr Whittaker, whose company owns the Trafford Centre, said: "We have these two great cities of Manchester and Liverpool which stand like bookends at the ends of the ship canal corridor.

"They have competed with each other over the centuries and Liverpool had the upper hand in the early years.

"In the last 20 years, Manchester has edged in front by opening doors to attract investors with a more open planning policy.

"Now Liverpool should adopt similar policies. If we all pull together we can create the most dynamic and economically sustainable region in the UK."

Mr Whittaker spoke of the need to streamline the planning permission process to enable to scheme to move forward like the Thames Gateway in London, where the canal cuts though seven different local authority areas.

He added: "Ocean Gateway should have its own planning regime led by the regional development agency and the local authorities so we can overcome individual authority objections.

"We have one of the best man-made canals in the world but it is only seven per cent utilised. This is an opportunity to bring in containers by water without clogging up our roads."

He said Peel alone was pumping in £50bn of their own private investment to act as a catalyst and encourage other businesses to invest in projects including: waste management, transport, leisure, renewables and ports.

As Mr Whittaker outlined the scheme on board the Mersey Ferry Royal Daffodil, his son James was attempting to swim the length of the canal to raise money for Manchester's New Children's Hospital Appeal.

He completed the first 21 mile section of the canal battling hypothermia in what his father described as a "Herculean challenge".

Peel Holding's development director Lindsey Ashworth also told delegates that the company would pull out of the regeneration scheme if the government called a public inquiry into it.

Last edited by jrb; September 8th, 2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #50
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

We are Peel.
We refuse to recognise planning legislation in this country.
Because this legislation doesnt allow us to do what ever the **** we want we are taking our ball home with us.
We dont give a **** about real regeneration.
Just what is in it for us.
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #51
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford View Post
We are Peel.
We refuse to recognise planning legislation in this country.
Because this legislation doesnt allow us to do what ever the **** we want we are taking our ball home with us.
We dont give a **** about real regeneration.
Just what is in it for us.
Shouldn't that be, we will take our skyscrapers away with us.
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #52
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 24

surely peel knew it would need a public inquiry before they started all this. (wirral waters, liverpool waters, etc)
to me it now looks like they are taking advantage of the credit crunch to make a case for not going to public inquiry.
Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #53
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Cringeworthy article in the MEN today masquerading as a story about James Whitaker aka the Son of Beelzebub swimming the canal but in reality another one of MEN's cocksucking exercises.
Not online but in summary look at my signature vv to get the tone of the piece.
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #54
flange

Likes (Received): 709

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford View Post
Cringeworthy article in the MEN today masquerading as a story about James Whitaker aka the Son of Beelzebub swimming the canal but in reality another one of MEN's cocksucking exercises.
Not online but in summary look at my signature vv to get the tone of the piece.
This one

Quote:
Different strokes

Simon Donohue

11/ 9/2008

AS private swimming pools go, the Manchester Ship Canal is mighty impressive.

Stretching 36 miles and built towards the end of the 19th century to accommodate ocean-going craft, it played a key role in linking the land-locked city of Manchester with trading ports across the globe.

It today forms part of a £50bn plan which could help to regenerate vast swathes of the north west.

So when James Whittaker, son of Peel Holdings magnate John, owner of the Manchester Ship Canal among other national icons, fancied a quick splash, the family's private waterway seemed like the perfect place.

'Ironman'

Last week, James, 37, took the plunge of his life, heading from the Manchester Docks in Eccles for a two-day marathon swim along the length of man-made waterway leading to the mouth of the Mersey at Eastham Locks, just beyond Ellesmere Port.

It was a change of scene but not a change of pace for James, whose day job in charge of projects worth £2bn as Peel's development director has still left time for him to attain an iron-man level of fitness.

It will have been no coincidence that the swim also served to highlight the potential of Peel's dream to revive the fortunes of the canal itself, unlocking new opportunities in retail, commerce and residential property, and tying together many of the Whittaker family's many assets, including the Trafford Centre and the Port of Liverpool.

As pleasant as he is fit - and no doubt wealthy - James says the idea for the self-imposed challenge came shortly after he narrowly failed to qualify for the World Ironman Championships in Hawaii.

Twelve months ago, he competed in two of the legendary Ironman qualification competitions - a 2.5 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and a marathon.

He came within 10 minutes of the nine hour 38 minutes qualification time in Frankfurt, Germany, and decided to have one final go at qualifying for the Ironman World Championships by trying his luck in South Korea. Unfortunately, he was no match for the extreme temperatures and humidity and again failed to qualify.

Temperature

"I gave up the ghost," says James, whose wife Jo, mum to two-year-old May, was due to give birth to their second child, Eloise, at the time. "I thought that I'd concentrate on the second child coming along and then I got itchy feet."

The first person James consulted about his challenge was Lewis Pugh, the environmental campaigner who became the first person to swim the 210 mile length of the River Thames in 2006.

"He replied to my email within 20 minutes and was massively excited about my suggestion. He said I should `go for it'," James adds. He then recruited the expert help of ASA Open Water Swim coach David Quartermain, whose nine- month training plan included having James swim many of the Cumbrian lakes - including Windermere in both directions.

James says that he was always aware that his three greatest obstacles in the Manchester Ship Canal would be presented by the distance, the variation in water quality and the temperature of the water.

"On the day, the temperature was far lower than I'd previously experienced, around 13 degrees centigrade, and I felt like giving up having only swum a couple of miles.

"I had to climb out of the water at each lock and I put my wet suit on at the first lock, before getting back in. It really made a difference."

James says that his supporters were also key in helping him to meet the challenge. Friends waved him on from the bank - "I think they visited every pub along the way" - and his wife and young daughters, now aged two and nine months, were waiting for him at the finish.

Family business

"It was the support which really kept me going," James adds. "It felt amazing to step out of the water at the end of my swim."

James says he wasn't overly concerned about being exposed to the water within the canal, although he did have five injections before the swim and has been placed on antibiotics in case of exposure to Weil's disease. At one point he put his hand in the water and hit a submerged duck but says it was quite nice to have the company of swans at other times during the challenge.

James hopes to have raised up to £250,000 for The New Children's Hospital Appeal.

But he also appreciates the part he has played in highlighting Peel's ambitious plans for the ship canal.

Over the next 20 years, Peel plans to establish the River Mersey and Manchester Ship Canal corridor as a key source of up to 50,000 new jobs and 40,000 new homes. James, his sister, and elder brother already work for Peel, while their younger brother is also expected to join the business one day.

While this challenge tested James' skills as a swimmer, is he looking forward to taking the business baton from his massively successful father? "We would one day like to take on the family business," he adds.

Keeping the Peel name afloat would no doubt be a challenge, but not one likely to faze James Whittaker.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ferent_strokes
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #55
Comdot
Taikun

here's something i posted in the liverpool subforum. i think it's relevant here too http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...67&page=21#411
Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #56
selk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
Was trying to find a puking smiley, but unfortunately best available to describe this article was this:
selk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #57
jrb
10th February 2008

From Crains.

Peel may bid for Gatwick
By Claire Shoesmith

Peel Airports, a subsidiary of Manchester-based Peel Holdings, is considering a joint bid for Gatwick Airport.

A spokesman for Peel Airports, which owns Liverpool and Durham Tees Valley airports, said the group had been approached by interested parties with a view to it participating as an operator and as a potential co-investor.

“Peel Airports could add significantly to Gatwick and would consider participating with other investors in any sale of the airport,” he said. “We will review all options before making any decision on whether we proceed or not.”

Gatwick Airport, valued at about £1.8bn, was put up for sale yesterday following an earlier decision by the Competition Commission to break BAA’s monopoly of the UK aviation market. The regulator ruled that the airport operator may have to sell three of its seven UK airports because of market dominance concerns.

Manchester Airports Group has also expressed an interest in bidding for Gatwick.
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #58
Comdot
Taikun

i have a feeling virgin are going to get this one.
with credit so tight it is affecting businesses borrowing money, not just banks borrowing money, and i think they'll all have to borrow apart from virgin, who even if they did borrow might be better positioned to do so, or just borrow less than the rest.
maybe the regulator will say no to virgin because it is an airline.
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #59
TheFly
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comdot View Post
i have a feeling virgin are going to get this one.
with credit so tight it is affecting businesses borrowing money, not just banks borrowing money, and i think they'll all have to borrow apart from virgin, who even if they did borrow might be better positioned to do so, or just borrow less than the rest.
maybe the regulator will say no to virgin because it is an airline.
Mr Branson does not have the funds to buy Gatwick and neither do Virgin. They would be fronting the operation for an exchange of shares. Eg. Virgin Atlantic is majority owned by Singapore Airlines. (They do this to enable them to tap into the North American market from Europe which be illegal if they did that under the Singapore Airlines brand.)

I doubt Branson will get involved in property at this stage of his career. If he does I would imagine that he would be thinking `the market has bottomed out'. In which case buy British Land and Peel shares pronto!
TheFly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #60
TheFly
BANNED

Sorry forgot to mention I fail to see how branding Gatwick as part of the Virgin group would enhance profits.

Would any of you travel from North London to Gatwick because you like Sir Diccy? Nah. Price seems to rule the airline world, not service!

Seems sensible as well, do you get sandwiches and a hot drink on the bus to work?!
TheFly no está en línea   Reply With Quote