daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #41
Seasun

Likes (Received): 167

Last night I had dinner at the McCormick and Schmick's in my building on 1st Ave. An employee mentioned that this week they haven't exceeded 100 "tops" (tables) for dinner on any given night. He said a typical good night was 250 and a really busy night would be 300. Just a little economic indicator for my neighborhood as people decide not to go out this week. (My server was kind of funny when I thinking of what to drink, he suggested "shot of whiskey?" implying that I'd had a hard day in the market. I went for a root beer.)
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 12th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #42
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 164

I wonder if JP Morgan Chase executives decide to get rid of its WAMU headquarters in downtown Seattle... I wonder what will replace huge vacant space of around 1.6 million sq.ft.? I hope it won't be empty for long time...
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #43
joe_hardhat
Inspector Man

Likes (Received): 0

That's a good question, one that I'm certain all of the developers and real estate agents are trying to figure out as well. If they decide to abandon that tower, we're pretty much sunk. The good news, however is that JPM seems as though they want to have a west coast presence, and a bunch of people will likely be required to administer their operations. Hopefully they won't vacate a large portion of their space and the office market won't be badly hurt...
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #44
CrazyAboutCities

I hope JP Morgan Chase executives decide to have its major division office and keep its workers in downtown Seattle. That would be relief for its workers and Puget Sound economy. That would be better than having huge vacant office space in downtown Seattle.
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #45
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Damn, 42 airplanes - great news! Now if only they'd end that silly strike.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv...49E6XG20081015

American Air buys Boeing 787s worth $8 billion
Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:19pm EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - AMR Corp's American Airlines said on Wednesday that it would buy 42 Boeing Co 787 Dreamliners, worth more than $8 billion at list prices.

The order is a boost for Boeing. Orders for its commercial aircraft have slowed sharply as airlines worry about an economic downturn and production delays on the new lightweight, fuel-efficient 787.

Boeing's aircraft assembly workers have also been on strike for more than a month, adding further uncertainty to when 787s will be delivered.

Airlines have now ordered more than 900 787s, but most will have to wait two years or longer than they first expected to receive their planes after a series of production delays caused by underperforming suppliers and parts shortages.

American, the world's biggest airline by traffic, said it would take delivery of its 42 787-9s between 2012 and 2018, and took out purchase rights on a further 58 787s that would be delivered between 2015 and 2020.

Boeing shares were down 2 percent at $44.18 on the New York Stock Exchange.
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #46
AzChristopher

Likes (Received): 11

I love how one of the big gripes from the mechanics is that they don't want their jobs outsourced. While at the same time one of the big reasons for the delay is that the people they outsourced the jobs to are under performing.

Moving the HQ to Chicago was a dumb idea. All it has done is give the executives Ivory Tower syndrome.
AzChristopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #47
CrazyAboutCities

I agree with you about Boeing Headquarter relocation to Chicago was dumb. I don't really think Boeing have been loyal to Seattle after decades of community supporting this company then left us.

I read that Russell extended their headquarter relocation search to next year. I think they might looking at Washington Mutual Tower for possible headquarter relocation for Russell. I also think that they might want to wait to hear JP Morgan Chase executives decision what to do with WAMU headquarters first. They didn't say anything about it... Just my thought...
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #48
Puertalian
Nerd Fest '08

I was thinking that too, though I hope they don't end up moving. Stupid Wamu might have lost us the best thing we had going.

AAANL- American Architectural All Nighters League
Puertalian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #49
CrazyAboutCities

Funny thing, I just read Seattle Times just before I log on here, they just said they are looking at Washington Mutual Tower for possible relocation... Lucky guess!

Anyway, I agree with you about WAMU. WAMU disappointed me. I have WAMU account since childhood.

At least if Russell made their decision to move in WAMU headquarters, at least it would get replaced by Russell faster than having empty tower in downtown Seattle. That would be good thing for downtown Seattle... At same time, I feel bad for Tacoma to lose its largest downtown tenant if Russell decision to flee.
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #50
Puertalian
Nerd Fest '08

The city of a Tacoma shouldn't have to pay for wamu's mistakes. But god hates tacoma so it invariably will happen.

Old October 18th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #51
JacobR
Tacomian Since 1983

Likes (Received): 10

yeah but then Tacoma would have an empty tower. Not that they wouldn't if Russell expanded into a new tower but still. When you think of the central Puget Sound as a regional economy the move to Seattle would not be good for it.
JacobR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #52
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 185

Don't forget WAMU had 2 towers. It could be a case that JP morgan keeps the new tower, and then Russell takes the older one. Not to hate on Tacoma, but Seattle needs some big guys coming back in rather than leaving.

The French are the chefs
The Italians are the lovers
The British are the police
The Germans are the mechanics
And the Swiss make everything run on time

Hell is Where:

The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #53
CrazyAboutCities

Actually WAMU has three towers in downtown Seattle. Do not forget about ugly brown tower (I forgot the name of that building) that is also house some of WAMU headquarters offices.

Do not forget that Amazen is relocating its headquarters to downtown Seattle soon. Group Health Inc relocated its headquarters there too. Microsoft soon will expand its offices to downtown Seattle. That are kind of big guys too.
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #54
Puertalian
Nerd Fest '08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Don't forget WAMU had 2 towers. It could be a case that JP morgan keeps the new tower, and then Russell takes the older one. Not to hate on Tacoma, but Seattle needs some big guys coming back in rather than leaving.
God thats my point. Its not Tacomas problem that seattle's shitty companies go bankrupt. Why is it always "something bad happens to seattle, lets sacrifice other area cities so seattle can continue to hoard all the wealth". I know in reality its the company that makes the decision, but im sick of people on this forum acting like they have some kind of right to OUR companies. Chicago didn't have a right to Boeing, and seattle doesnt have a right to russel. Seattle is not the only city in washington. Other people's well beings are at stake here. I dont care about what seattle needs. I care about what my city needs, and it needs russel, its the only thing it has left. if ruessel goes, then tacoma dies. and for what?so seattle can maintain its outrageous office rent costs? So they can continue to have an excuse to bulldoze whats left of their culture and fill the void with more office towers? I like architecture, but this takes it to far for me. God if Tacoma goes, im moving to Portland where at least some decency still exists.

Old October 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #55
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puertalian View Post
God thats my point. Its not Tacomas problem that seattle's shitty companies go bankrupt. Why is it always "something bad happens to seattle, lets sacrifice other area cities so seattle can continue to hoard all the wealth". I know in reality its the company that makes the decision, but im sick of people on this forum acting like they have some kind of right to OUR companies. Chicago didn't have a right to Boeing, and seattle doesnt have a right to russel. Seattle is not the only city in washington. Other people's well beings are at stake here. I dont care about what seattle needs. I care about what my city needs, and it needs russel, its the only thing it has left. if ruessel goes, then tacoma dies. and for what?so seattle can maintain its outrageous office rent costs? So they can continue to have an excuse to bulldoze whats left of their culture and fill the void with more office towers? I like architecture, but this takes it to far for me. God if Tacoma goes, im moving to Portland where at least some decency still exists.
Don't you think that is loyal to your city if you just pack and left for Portland if Tacoma dies after you said you only care what your city needs? If you are feeling really strong about what Tacoma really need to stay survive and have healthy economy... Why not you do something about it? Join Tacoma Chamber of Commerce or something like that to benefit the City of Tacoma.
Old October 18th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #56
Puertalian
Nerd Fest '08

When Im home I am involved. I go to city council meetings and what not. But there's only so much a person can do when there's nothing left in your city.

Old October 19th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #57
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 181

Poor Tacoma. I was looking forward to a shiny new skyscraper there.

How about Boeing moves back and takes over WaMu Center and Russell stays in Tacoma. :P
bgwah está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #58
Puertalian
Nerd Fest '08

That would be excellent.

Old October 19th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #59
SteveM

Likes (Received): 4

I'm generally for downtown Seattle's development, but Russell should stay in Tacoma, if only because their employees have been used to being in Tacoma. Seattle could be quite a commute for someone who bought a house in Gig Harbor thinking they just needed to get to DT Tacoma everyday.

Also, Tacoma needs headquarters to help its revitalization. I'd love to see Weyerhauser (or divisions thereof, if they restructure) move back to DT Tacoma, though I'm aware that's probably unlikely.

On WaMu space: I'm pretty sure WaMu had moved out of a lot of the WaMu Tower, so even if JPMorgan Chase scales back office space in Seattle, the tower won't be empty. Of course, one of tenants WaMu was subletting to was the Sonics, so we can assume that space will be on the market again, too.
SteveM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #60
CrazyAboutCities

I agree that Tacoma do need headquarters to improve its city and its own image. I kept hearing many negative comments from people around here about Tacoma. I honestly don't think Tacoma is that bad as they described. I have seen worst cities than Tacoma. I think City of Tacoma should try advertise to many companies who are considering to relocate headquarters to save money by encourage them to consider Tacoma. I am not sure if they already doing that by now. They shouldn't depend on Russell to survive... Tacoma need more businesses to keep its economy stable. Lastly, City of Tacoma should focus lowering crime rates to lure businesses to move in too.