daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 360 votes, 4.93 average.
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #241
Madras_Fan
A real Fan

Likes (Received): 0

In my View the mount road metro originally planned from tiruvottiyur was changed to Washermanpet for want of SPACE OF TERMINUS. They need some 40-50 acres of Land atleast for creating Maintenance facilities of the rakes/coaches. I think another reason could be approval of 3rd and 4th line of Beach - Korukkuppet - Atthipattu stretch and after completion 2 lines will be exclusively for Suburban trains for North Chennai

Similarly the PH Road metro originally planned to start from Fort station was now changed as originating from Central. Also The elevated alignment on PH road from Central to Tirumangalam is now changed in to Underground alignment. This is mentioned in the Chennai Metro official site

Sponsored Links

Old October 14th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #242
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 2746

13KM Human chain protest for changing the metro line alignment from Thiruvotriyur

News from tamil daily Dinakaran

News here http://dkn.dinakaran.co.in/showxml.a...739&code=16278

North Chennai demands are very valid...

Government is doing enough to south and west Chennai when compared to North....

In South:

Broader roads like Anna salai, SP road etc.,
Suburban
MRTS
Kathipara like grand flyover
IT Corridor
and now Metro

Some of the projects goes beyond City limits

In west

Broader roads like IRR, PH road
Now Metro
Flyovers at Koyamedu main signal, Padi etc.,
Proposed AP at SRPD

In North?!??!?

Thiruvotriyur being in city limits, gvt should consider this request!

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Arul Murugan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #243
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Likes (Received): 1189

MottMac is the likely to be appointed as the consultant.
Anniyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #244
natarajan1986
social member

Likes (Received): 604

Chennai Metro Rail by the middle of next year.

Chennai: The city’s dream Metro Rail project is chugging towards realisation with the Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) floating tenders to appoint a reputed real estate consultant for acquisition of private land. Civil works are expected to begin by the middle of next year.
CMRL has invited real estate firms with a minimum experience of five years in rendering real estate valuation in India, and Rs 50 crore as turnover. For the Rs 10,000-crore first phase of the project, CMRL is planning to acquire around 10 hectares of private land mainly for construction of stations and depots. The railway line would pass through government lands in most of the places.
“Though the government has mandatory powers to acquire private land, we want to take the land with the consent of the landowner. For this, we want guidence from experts to arrive at a reasonable compensation. We would invoke provisions of compulsory land acquisition only if the negotitations are unsuccessful,” a senior official told The Times of India.
An ongoing study by Delhi Metro authorities to assess the extent of land needed for each station and depot has identified 36 stations, but the exact locations are yet to be marked. “The assessment is expected to be over in three months and we are trying to minimise the extent of land acquisition,” the official said.
Senior officials said that the project is on schedule and there is “not even a week’s delay.” Tamil Nadu government will formally sign the loan agreement in two months with the Japanese Bank for International Cooperation, which has already expressed its willingness to fund 60% of the total cost.
Responding to the demands from various quarters to extend the Metro line to Thiruvotriyur in north Chennai, the official said such pleas are being considered.
HITTING BRASS TRACKS
Corridor 1, from Washermenpet to city airport - 23.1 km
Corridor 2, from Fort to St Thomas Mount - 23.4 km
Total number of stations: 36 and 2 depots-cum-workshops
Private residential land required – 2.69 hectares
Private commercial land required – 7.29 hectares
Project cost: Rs.10,000 crore
Japanese Bank for International Cooperation to fund 60% of project cost
Real estate firms with five years experience in property valuation and Rs 50 crore turnover invited via tender
natarajan1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #245
Elango1984
வாழ்க தஞ்சை வளர்க சென்னை

Metro rail with better connectivity

In view of the limited transport facility (Human chain on metro rail, The Hindu, 14. 10. 08) that prevails in north Chennai and in order to benefit more than 30 lakh people, the need of hour is to consider metro rail facility from Tiruvottiyur for better connectivity to places such as Perambur, Purasaiwakkam, Ayanavaram, Padi, Ambattur Industrial Estate, Mugappair, Vanagaram, Poonamallee and Tambaram.

http://www.thehindu.com/2008/10/20/s...2059090500.htm
Elango1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #246
Elango1984
வாழ்க தஞ்சை வளர்க சென்னை

Metro Rail gets chugging

The city’s dream Metro Rail project is chugging towards realisation with the Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) floating tenders to appoin
t a reputed real estate consultant for acquisition of private land. Civil works are expected to begin by the middle of next year.

CMRL has invited real estate firms with a minimum experience of five years in rendering real estate valuation in India, and Rs 50 crore as turnover. For the Rs 10,000-crore first phase of the project, CMRL is planning to acquire around 10 hectares of private land mainly for construction of stations and depots. The railway line would pass through government lands in most of the places.

“Though the government has mandatory powers to acquire private land, we want to take the land with the consent of the landowner. For this, we want guidence from experts to arrive at a reasonable compensation. We would invoke provisions of compulsory land acquisition only if the negotitations are unsuccessful,” a senior official told The Times of India.

An ongoing study by Delhi Metro authorities to assess the extent of land needed for each station and depot has identified 36 stations, but the exact locations are yet to be marked. “The assessment is expected to be over in three months and we are trying to minimise the extent of land acquisition,” the official said.

Senior officials said that the project is on schedule and there is “not even a week’s delay.” Tamil Nadu government will formally sign the loan agreement in two months with the Japanese Bank for International Cooperation, which has already expressed its willingness to fund 60% of the total cost.

Responding to the demands from various quarters to extend the Metro line to Thiruvotriyur in north Chennai, the official said such pleas are being considered.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...ow/3614185.cms
Elango1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:01 PM   #247
SVG

Likes (Received): 5

Chennai Metro gets $ 1 Billion from Japan

Tokyo, Oct. 22: The first beneficiary of the coming together of the "samurai" and the "swami" will be the Chennai metro, for which Japan will give a $1 billion loan. The move to invest in the southern city as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrived here Tuesday on a three-day visit to Japan is certain to give a fillip to bilateral relations.............

Source:
http://www.khabrein.info/index.php?o...7943&Itemid=88

With the money coming in, (Roughly 4900 Crores), i can only hope that they start on the work soon and finish the project in time... Hope it does not turn out to be a day dream.
SVG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM   #248
ImBoredNow
I have no life : (

Likes (Received): 107

Maybe the japanese will do the whole metro project themselves if Rajni agrees to act in one of their films!
ImBoredNow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:55 PM   #249
venkatm

Likes (Received): 282

I saw the first major tender worth 122 crores for viaducts in thirumangalam section of route 2 in today's hindu.
venkatm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:00 PM   #250
venkatm

Likes (Received): 282

I agree that tiruvottiyur should get the metro(underground). However in a closely related development, the traders on both sides have not cooperated in widening the TH road. They need to surrender 10-15 feet on both sides to make it a uniform 60ft road. Less said about the slums in ennore expressway(?), the better
venkatm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #251
Subra

Likes (Received): 301

Project gets planning commission nod

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/3641801.cms

Not sure if this was posted earlier.

Sources close to the development told SundayET that the Chennai metro proposal had finally received the nod from the Planning Commission only after DMK undertook intense political lobbying. The proposal is now lying with project investment board of finance ministry before it will be placed before the Cabinet.
Subra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #252
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

Likes (Received): 115

Hi i am new to SSC....... 3 days before...... i saw the tender of CMRL for constructing elevated viaducts from thirumangalam to vadapalani on Corridor 2. My doubt is that i thought corridor 2 was underground till thirumangalam and comes to level in koyambedu for the depot and only then becomes elevated from CMBT. am i not i right????? please clarify
coolmukund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #253
prem.karunakaran

Hi, this is a really a good project and reduce more traffic in mount road and the roads covering metro 2 line.
But two lines is not enough for chennai. Another 2 or 3 should be added to the projected line. I've lived in singapore for nearly an year and the way people use the public transport is superb. This makes the government to create good public transport.
I'm waiting for the velachery to st.thomas mount mrts extension to get complete.
If it gets completed i will surely use the public transport and use my vehicle only in the weekend.
The project must be awarded to a good contractor and not an ordinary contractor irrespective of the project cost.
I want my chennai to be more eco-friendly and have good infrastructure.

Rgds,
Prem
prem.karunakaran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #254
Into_salem
Have a Nice Time....

Likes (Received): 23

Welcome aboard Chennai SSC, prem.karunakaran
Old October 26th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #255
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

Likes (Received): 3

Private parties will not anchor Chennai and Kochi metro rail

Two major metro rail systems in India, to be launched in Chennai and Kochi, will not allow private players to sit at the driver’s seat. Whereas Rs 14,600-cr Chennai metro rail will follow the Delhi metro model under which Centre and the state will own 50% of the equity each, Kerala government has now changed tracks to say ‘no’ to any private participation for Rs 2991-cr Kochi venture.

Significantly, Kochi metro rail project, which was originally to be built with private partnership with a concession period of 30 years, may now be a joint venture between Centre and the state. “The project has been lying with the Planning Commission from March this year.

Earlier, the proposal was lying with the urban development ministry for nearly two years. Now, despite Kerala chief minister has come out on record that his government wants the project in collaboration with the Centre, the Planning Commission has been insisting that private sector should anchor it,” an official connected with the development said.

Significantly, policy makers in Delhi are divided whether metro rail in India should be built by private players, as is done in case of Hyderabad and Mumbai. The differences in opinion may cause substantial delay to future metro projects in India.

While Planning Commission has been advocating the public private participation (PPP) as the preferred route to build metros, urban development ministry has been lobbying hard for a standardised metro system around the country, for which the Central government will be a partner.

When contacted, urban development secretary M Ramachandran refused to comment on any tussle between urban development ministry and Planning Commission, but said, “Yes, we want a standardised metro rail system across the country, for which states should collaborate with the Centre,” he said.

Sources close to the development told SundayET that the Chennai metro proposal had finally received the nod from the Planning Commission only after DMK undertook intense political lobbying. The proposal is now lying with project investment board of finance ministry before it will be placed before the Cabinet.

However, Rs 3,716-cr high speed rail link from city centre to international airport in Bangalore is likely to take the PPP route.

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/3641801.cms
Rasnaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #256
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmukund View Post
Hi i am new to SSC....... 3 days before...... i saw the tender of CMRL for constructing elevated viaducts from thirumangalam to vadapalani on Corridor 2. My doubt is that i thought corridor 2 was underground till thirumangalam and comes to level in koyambedu for the depot and only then becomes elevated from CMBT. am i not i right????? please clarify

can anyone please clarify my doubt?????
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #257
Madras_Fan
A real Fan

Coolmukund,

Corridor 2 (PH Road) was underground till tirumangalam Only all the way from Central. From tirumangalam to St Thomas mount its fully elevated. So Tirumangalam - CMBT - Vadapalani - Ashokpillar - Guindy Ind Estate all such stretch in Inner ring road will be elevated with lines on the median of the road
Old November 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM   #258
Into_salem
Have a Nice Time....

Likes (Received): 23

Metro may cover Tiruvotriyur

CMDA’s Plan For City To Give Transport Services A Fillip
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Chennai: North Chennai, the neglected backyard of the city, could end up lapping up the prestigious Chennai Metro Rail project if the state government’s plans to extend the metro rail to Tiruvotriyur fructifies.
Chennai Metro Rail managing director T V Somanathan on Friday said the state was planning to extend the metro rail by four km from Washermenpet to Tiruvotriyur following repeated requests from the residents in those areas.
The government initially considered seven alignments for the metro rail project and decided to take up two corridors — from Washermenpet to Airport and Fort to St Thomas Mount — in the first phase, he said at a seminar organised on the second master plan by the Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA).
Despite the earlier plans to extend the link till Tiruvotriyur, he said the consultants had left out Tiruvotriyur after a study indicated that the project would not be economically feasible as it would not get patronage in North Chennai. F u r - t h e r, the gove r n m e n t would have to demolish rows of private buildings to accommodate the project.
However, he was non-committal on whether the Tiruvotriyur link would be taken up as part of the first phase itself in the revised scheme. “In case it is not included in the first phase, it could be covered in the next phase,” he said.
Somanathan said the two metro rail corridors covering 45 km would have 20 underground stations and 16 elevated stations with eight stations linking the MRTS, Koyambedu bus terminus, MTC routes, suburban trains and air traffic.
Out of the 80 hectares required for the project, only 8 hectares would be acquired from private parties. Only under impossible circumstances, the state would resort to compulsory acquisition, he said.
To maximise the reach of the project, the Metro Rail and Metropolitan T r a n s p o r t Corporation (MTC) would promote joint developments along certain feeder routes, he said.
Southern Railway chief administrative officer R Ramanathan called upon civic and development officials to help the railways remove encroachments along the approach roads of the Mass Rapid Transit Systems (MRTS) stations for integrating it with other modes of public transport.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...Mode=HTML&GZ=T
Old November 1st, 2008, 01:49 PM   #259
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

when is the work likely to begin??????????
Old November 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM   #260
natarajan1986
social member

Likes (Received): 604

It seems civils construction starts in the beginning of next year.
natarajan1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: