SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I am starting a new thread with the idea of empowering ourselves so that we can all be more creative and more aware and upto date about architectural trends, styles, great architects, amazing buildings from accross the globe.

Contextualisation goes a long way in improving quality of architectre and ofcourse great buildings do speak a lot about our cities. Colombo despite getting its new share of highrises imho is still very conservative when it comes to design. So lets hope we help ourselves with new ideas, plans and well.... lets just go wild with ideas in this thread !!!! :banana:

Discussion starter · #2 ·
I find most of Colombo buildings boxy. Why are we still building boxy residencies that are colourless ?

Some ideas that are more delicate and less sharp on the curves. A fine blend of masculine and feminine energies where personal space is taken into account rather than boxing our homes into premade boxes.

Namba Parks Osaka, Japan is a really amazing piece of architecture, a place where you’ll spend half your time shopping and the other half admiring the design. It stands where Osaka’s baseball stadium used to be until 2003, and consists of a 30-floor skyscraper, Parks Tower, and 120-tenant shopping mall which includes many restaurants and a cinema. The eight floors of terraced gardens, boutique stores, big brands and trendy dining have been an instant hit in shopping-mad Osaka. In addition to providing a highly visible green component in a city where nature is sparse, the sloping park connects to the street, welcoming passers-by to enjoy its groves of trees, clusters of rocks, cliffs, lawn, streams, waterfalls, ponds and outdoor terraces.

Great idea to break the monotony of a squarish busy city centre without compromising on space. ie. multi-use facility.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Works of Peter Vetsch

Peter Vetsch runs his own architecture office in Dietikon, (Switzerland) since 1978.

Since the late 1970s, Peter Vetsch has made a name for himself with his earth house architecture. To date he has built over 47 earth houses in Switzerland and other countries throughout the world. Earth houses by Peter Vetsch are based on the interpretation of an environmentally conscious, ecological and progressive architecture. Next to the earth houses, Peter Vetsch also builds conventional houses.

With his technology (sprayed concrete constructions) he manages to create building shells which encompass maximum space volume with a minimum of surface area, an ideal form for energy saving. These constructions eschew right angles and their spatial diversity overcomes the the monotony of traditional normed designs. They remind us of Antoni Gaudí's organic forms as well as Jugendstil architecture.

We need buildings that reach up for the sky with spires like many of the world's tallest buildings. I know it's rather cliche now... but there aren't much buildings like that over here. I'm kinda getting fed-up with all the boxy buildings that just end so abruptly at the top. Just my opinion.
Thanks for starting up this great thread Fusionist. My sister is doing architecture and if she decides to come back here to work, this thread could be great for her to get opinions of local people about what this country needs in terms of architectural creations. She's not one for boxy, mediocre designs too.

Discussion starter · #9 · (Edited)
^^ Thanks for the encouragement. yes would be great if she could pitch in with some ideas here.

Anyways here are some ideas for urban landscaping that is people friendly, inovative yet cheap and affordable to build.

A nice idea for a pond/fountain imo..post modern and more integrated iwth the environment

as opposed to this symmetrical monster that was built everywhere during the colonial era..old fashioned and from the structuralist era.

Discussion starter · #10 · (Edited)
post modern sculpture that are more sleek, curvacious, sensitive and dynamic..

Curvy shapes are also more local and ethnic in deisgn as opposed to straight lines and perspectives imposed from the west.

Architecture and landscaping is about putting the environment and local customs into use so that it blends in without being an assualt on the surrounding.

Curvacious sculptures such as the ones above will be more in lines with traditional Sri Lankan art...some ideas I like that can be innovated for landscaping, urban sculpture etc

These are not exactly religious yet very ethnic and can be easily innovated to create a unqie feel to Colombo urban scaping.

What I dont like... monolith statues of politicians and symmetrical fountains and square buildings. The earlier they get replaced the better.

Forexample, I dont want to get political but from an architectural point of view here is a CLEAR example of an ASSAULT on human senses. A square podium and a bulky looking sculpture in the middle of a square pond.. how disturbing and unbalancing to the eye it looks :|

Hey Fusionist, I just want to say that this is a great thread and I really enjoyed reading it. It is a bit late, so I am about to go to bed but I will try to contribute something very soon. I hope all is well with you bro. Peace :)

Similar to Namba Parks in Osaka, We (Montreal) have the Underground city. There is not much to see here in terms of architecture, but this is what I call terrific urban planning. It gets very cold up here, and it great to be able to get to anywhere in Downtown Montreal via the underground City.

Called "Reso," the underground city started out in the late 1960 with the construction of Place Ville Marie building, the underground city is a vast network of underground shopping malls, hotels, museums, restaurants, condo, and offices. It is to date the world's largest underground complex servicing 7 subways stations, 2 commuter train station, and a bus terminal in a 12 km square zone which has tunnels expanding over 32 km.

Here are some pictures of the underground city.

Finally a map of the system.

Probably very expensive, but in a long run the underground city generators so much profit to the city that it is very worth it. :)

Discussion starter · #15 ·
thanks for the effort Ashok.. but eek ! it is just another damp underground elaborate subway to me :eek:hno:

Sorry about that. I like sunlight and curves, not underground squares. Just my taste I guess :dunno:

Discussion starter · #16 ·
let me revive this thread...

an interesting airport design I came across.. very localised, nature hugging and very pleaseing with plenty of personal touch, unlike the glass and steel structure coming up everywhere.

Jakarta Airport...

This type of archit4ecture will suit Sri Lanka very well too :)

^^ I agree. Emperor is my only pet project in Colombo at the mo. I am no great fan of the rest.
you talk about contextualism and then talk about the emperor????????????? my god man..your waaaaay of your mark there.....
there are certain designs that suit certain countries...these are mostly defined by economic, environment and political reasons... and taking the emperor which is a glass roasting pot........ermmm.... you figure the rest out. :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Probably very expensive, but in a long run the underground city generators so much profit to the city that it is very worth it. :)
underground cities generate criminals, rodants, and unhealthy spaces....ultimately becoming a shelter for the homless, which is really not that bad since its a social service if you consider it to be social service to spend so much on it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.