daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Urban

Urban discussions on urbanisation, urban society, economy, infrastructure, urban events and entertainment

Old December 17th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #161
aniqasyranie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizalhakim View Post
List Of Theme Parks in Malaysia

1.Genting Theme Park - Pahang
2.Sunway Lagoon Theme Park - Selangor
3.Wet World Shah Alam - Selangor
4.A’Famosa Resort City - Melacca
5.Bukit Merah Laketown Resort - Perak
6.Lost World of Tambun - Perak
7.Cosmo's World Theme Park - KL
8.Mines Wonderland Theme Park - Selangor
9.Bukit Tinggi Resort - Pahang
10.Desa Water Park - KL
11.Wet World Pedas Hot Springs - Negeri Sembilan
12.Wet World Batu Pahat - Johor
13.Port Dickson Tiara Beach Resort - Negeri Sembilan

anymore??
are tiara consider as theme park?
not for me..
very small lah..
aniqasyranie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #162
zawae87
MaLaYsIa EmPiRe

Quote:

10.Desa Water Park - KL

anymore??

14. Sungai Klah Hotspring - Perak

http://zawae87.wordpress.com
zawae87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #163
zawae87
MaLaYsIa EmPiRe

Sungai Klah Hotspring, Sungkai Perak

http://zawae87.wordpress.com
zawae87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #164
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Likes (Received): 877

Lost World of Tambun jadi tumpuan
IPOH 28 Jan. - Bercuti merehatkan minda sambil melakukan pelbagai aktiviti menarik bersama keluarga, sememangnya menjadi impian semua orang.

Sempena sambutan Tahun Baru Cina, antara pusat percutian yang menjadi tumpuan ramai ialah taman tema Lost World of Tambun, yang terletak tidak jauh dari sini.

Pengurus Besarnya, Calvin Ho berkata, lebih 5,000 pengunjung telah mengunjungi taman tema itu.

''Selain menikmati keseronokan bermain di taman tema, pengunjung juga disajikan dengan persembahan tarian singa yang diiringi paluan gong dan gendang.

''Kami turut menampilkan watak Kukuntalu Leih yang membawa bakul berisi limau mandarin untuk diberikan kepada kanak-kanak," katanya di sini hari ini.

Kehadiran tahun lembu pula jelas Calvin, diharap dapat memberikan keharmonian dan kegembiraan kepada seluruh masyarakat Malaysia.

''Kami amat bertuah kerana berpeluang merayakan Tahun Baru Cina bersama-sama masyarakat berbilang kaum yang hadir pada hari ini," katanya.

Lost World of Tambun dibuka pada pukul 11 pagi hingga 6 petang pada hari Isnin, Rabu, Khamis dan Jumaat manakala pada hari Sabtu dan Ahad serta cuti umum, dibuka pada pukul 10 pagi hingga 6 petang.

Harga tiket masuk ke taman tema itu ialah RM25 untuk dewasa dan RM19 untuk kanak-kanak di bawah 12 tahun.

Manakala kanak-kanak yang ketinggian di bawah 90 sentimeter, tidak dikenakan bayaran.
rizalhakim está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #165
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

From wartime mine to fun park
Rizalman Hammim
THE Batu Pahat Wet World water recreation park in Jalan Bukit Pasir is a hit with visitors.

The Batu Pahat Wet World was at one time a bauxite mining pool.

The remnants of the processing plant at the recreation park. — Pictures by Mustapha Ismail

Families having a whale of a time at the Batu Pahat Wet World recreation park.
But not many people are aware that the lake was formerly a bauxite mine, which was closed soon after the end of World War Two. Bauxite is the most important of aluminium ores.

The mine opened in 1936 near Kampung Jorak Elahi. It was operated by a Japanese company in collaboration with the then village head Mohd Taki Janghir Khan.

Taki's son Mohd Abas, 83, once worked at the mine as an electrical technician. He said representatives of the Japanese company had initially approached Kadir Rahmat, the penghulu of Batu Pahat at the time, to open the mine.

"However, Penghulu Kadir told the representatives, led by a Japanese manager named Yamasaki, to meet with my father as the area they wanted to open the mine falls under my father's jurisdiction.

"The Japanese were a smart lot. There was a strong anti-Japanese sentiment among the Chinese at the time, so they made my father a partner.

"The venture was important to them because they knew it would be difficult to conduct business on their own since the Chinese would not sell anything to them," said Abas.

He said prior to the opening of the bauxite mine, the Japanese had already been operating an iron ore mine in Sri Medan for several years.

"After the bauxite mine was opened, the Japanese built a railroad track from the mine to the banks of Sungai Simpang Kanan to transport the bauxite.

"They asked my father to help them buy the land to build the track as some of them were owned by the Chinese," said Mohd Abas, who started working at the mine when he was 18.

When the mine's operations started, engineers from the US and Britain conducted tests on the bauxite that was mined, and found it to be of good quality.

Abas said about 1,000 people worked at the mine and it became the main source of employment in the village.

"The Japanese were tough but caring. They expected the workers to perform their best and paid the workers well."

At the start of World War Two, the mine had to be temporarily closed as all the Japanese managers had returned to Japan. However, before they left, they gathered the workers for a feast and gave them one month's bonus.

"They also told the workers that the mine would re-open when Japan won the war."

He said the mine continued its operation during the Japanese occupation and remained open until the end of the war when the Japanese was defeated.

"The mine closed permanently in 1950 and the mining lake became an attraction for Batu Pahat folk," said Abas.
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #166
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 2

Say Bye to this one.

Sunshine chief charged
He and three others are accused of running a fraudulent scheme

THE man behind multilevel marketer Sunshine Empire, which pulled in $189 million from investors here, is facing 20 charges, including running a fraudulent business and criminal breach of trust.
James Phang Wah, 49, appeared in the Subordinate Court yesterday, more than a year after the Commercial Affairs Department (CAD) launched a probe into the alleged scam which attracted tens of thousands of unwitting investors.

Another man, Sunshine's president (Asia Pacific) Jackie Hoo Choon Cheat, 29, faced 10 charges including running a fraudulent business. Two other people, including Phang's wife, also faced related charges in court yesterday.

The main charge alleged that the two central figures were running a Ponzi-like scheme involving many millions of dollars raised from members of the public.

In Ponzi schemes, investors are lured to hand over cash on the promise of high returns - but the returns simply come from funds pumped in by new investors.

The charges allege that Sunshine, based at Toa Payoh HDB Hub, was selling packages which offered returns in the form of cash rebates. The returns were paid from the proceeds of packages bought by later Sunshine participants.

According to Deputy Public Prosecutor April Phang, the revenue generated by Sunshine, which has a paid-up capital of $150,000, between August 2006 and November 2007 totalled $189 million.

It is believed that many investors have their money stuck with the company and it is unclear whether they can get it back in full.

Phang and Hoo also faced charges of failing to maintain proper accounts.

The criminal breach of trust charges involve nearly $1 million. Criminal breach of trust takes place when an offender has the responsibility of holding money or assets on behalf of others but misuses the funds by using them for other purposes. The maximum penalty is life imprisonment, along with possible fines.

In addition, Phang faced six charges of falsifying accounts and two related to possessing obscene films. Phang's wife, Neo Kuon Huay, 46, was charged with falsifying accounts in relation to sums exceeding $592,800.

A director of Empire Investment Group, Yong Wai Hong, 27, was charged with making false declarations involving $1.45 million. This had allegedly given Sunshine participants the false sense that its affiliated firms have strong financial standing.

Yong is also chairman and chief executive of a Hong Kong-listed firm Emcom International, which was acquired using Sunshine's sale proceeds.

The prosecutor, Ms Phang, added that the bulk of Phang and Neo's assets are in Hong Kong bank accounts.

Three of the accused, apart from Yong, were arrested on Monday afternoon and spent that night in remand. Yong was on police bail then.

Ms Phang stated that all four are considered a 'high flight risk' as CAD has information that they are involved in some business in Hong Kong.

Their passports were impounded and bail was set at $600,000 for each of them. Last evening, they were released on bail and were driven away in a convoy of Mercedes-Benzes and BMWs.

They were represented by lawyers Noor Mohamed Marican and Subhas Anandan.

Phang, who has four children aged 15 to 23, was addressed as 'Lao Da' ('chief' in Mandarin) as he got into his car.

The Empire Group Alliance, a group spanning several Asian countries, was set up in 2003. It claimed to have interests in network marketing, entertainment, energy, real estate and telecommunications.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_334011.html

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #167
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 22

Anyone got pics of the site now?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #168
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #169
James Foong

Likes (Received): 2

The Famous Scam Businesses:

BE ALERT

1) The Cafe Scams - Island Red Cafe & Stevens Corner(strange, both in Pandan Indah) - Island Red Cafe collects members RM6,000 each and promised 5% return every month and even give you a name in the ROC as a shareholder but what’s the point when they run away ? Stevens Corner, the famous indian coffee shop follows due to drop of business since their renovation. They collect RM3,000 per member and promise return of RM150 monthly and plans to open nice fanchisee cafe called StevensTeaGarden. Someone mentioned they will make you sign an agreement that give them the rights NOT to pay you anything in future. If you really wish to join, ask for a copy of their agreement and consult your lawyer BEFORE paying them. Bet you will NOT get a copy. Both collect monies from new members with MLM recruitment schemes and pay the old members like Sunshine Empire. You never know when they will run away.

2) Sunshine Empire - This licensed and legal Company has an impressive office at the ground level of KUB building along Jalan Yap Kwan Seng, near Menara Public Bank and AmBank Building . They also have a showroom office at the ground level in the next building. 2 or 3 months ago, Singapore ’s Straits Times and The Paper published big news reminding their people to be careful and NOT to believe in them. Hope someone can put up the link or google for it.(As expected, they STOPPED paying back members now and all investors LOST their money).

Someone below has put a link to the Singapore news. In fact there are more to it. Although Singapore is investigating them, they did not stop their business as the business is legal and so far, no Singaporean have failed to receive their commissions as promised. Thus, the government cannot stop them yet.

The news published that the founder, director and group president is someone named James Phang but he is NOT the owner. Isn’t this quite strange ? At the end of the game, James Phang can just disappear from the Company easily and claimed that he was just “employed”. Such trick always happened in scam businesses.

Now, the Company has STOPPED paying commissions and interests to members with the excuse that the Singapore government has freezed their bank account while under investigation. Do you think their boss will be so stupid to keep much monies in the bank to be freezed ? They are all transfered away. It’s just an excuses not to pay back to members and members are only paid “e-bonus-points” which is cashless. If they wish to convert to cash, they have to recruit new members to pay them cash and the recruiter less out trom the amount. So victims act like Vampires and “forced” to victimise other victims if they wish to get their monies back. And their victims will later transform to vampires and the scam carries on…..

3) MOBILWALLET - This Company owned by 2 young men, Stanley & Rey Gan, office in Queens Avenue Park has collect multi-millions the last 2 years. Claimed that they tied up with Telekoms, Utility Board payment like Water & Electricity bills, even Maybank got fooled by them. Advertisement Billboards everywhere. They STOPPED paying back their members few months ago and the members cannot do anything because they are made to sign an agreement unaware that they have to claims if the company stopped paying them by CHANGING terms and policies.

4) Water businesses - Oxygenated and alkaline water products - Some of these are bottled water and some are filters or equipment that claimed the trick.. One of the better known Company that sold “oxygen” water is SITO(supposed to stand for Selangor International Trading Organiszation and claimed Selangor State Government owned some share in it). The key person and founder is a Dato Robert Ong from Rawang but his name is no longer in the business now. Their products are sold for RM2 to RM3 for a 350ml bottle and now concentrating mostly in the Indian market. Their Chinese and Malays market are long gone since a year or 2 ago. Their customers are made to believe that their water has more oxygen and able to give miraculous effects for the body. Water is H2O, how to put more O into it ? Anyone knows how much oxygen do we breathe into our body everyday at FOC ? Latest news is that this SITO Company is going to create new label to market under a new Company since the SITO name has already gone bad. Someone informed that this Company is owing alot of money(due to refunds) to ex-stockists but just refuse to pay them.
(Latest news, SITO shifted to another place and their MLM business has closed but planning to start again with a different name, beware !!)

Alkaline Products - Can anyone explain how it can work for the body ? The stomach’s gastric liquid is so acidic that water of any pH that goes through it will not make any difference.

5) Car Fuel Booster - K-Link, the famous scam MLM Company that sold the footpatch TAKARA, later the “cock-ring” and energy-card launched the patrol-saving pills last year. Got so hot that even grocery shops are selling for them. Recently many of these cars that used the pills are rushing to the workshops to clean the residual. Few months ago, another MLM Company launched a fuel booster gadget, claimed that saves up to 20% fuel, that is attached to the cigarette lighter. Started off well using binary plan but businese begin to fade now and most users find it NOT effective.

6) Perfumery Products(eg. Lampe Berger & Bel Air)(more details later).. Lampe Berger is not so hot now in the neighbouring countries but there are still new victims every month in Malaysia . Must thanks to those who have contributed and kept the thread alive here in Kopitiam. Bel-Air have closed in Malaysia . LB is almost zero in Singapore . This perfumery product from France with over 100 years history is just bottles and fragrance(check the factory’s website) but the Company marketing them in Asia claimed “aromatheraphy” products. Hong Kong TVB aired a program that exposed their scam but their members claimed that HK’s TVB already apologised to them.

Note that the biggest strenght in a MLM Scam is their members will go all way out to lie in order to defend for their Company. The reason is simple; these members fear that they will not be able to make their money back if the Company collapsed.

Knowing that the Lampe Berger products are moving slow, they add a line of skincare products named Estebel, also claime to have over 100 years history in France.(Hardly anymore Chinese newcomers, they are now tapping the Malays in Malaysia)

7) Energy Products(eg. stone pendants, bracelets, mattress and pillows). They use all sorts of gimmicks and demonstration to make you into believing them. They will do some tricks and demo to prove that these products really produce energy BUT is there any tricks in their demo ? So what if there really produce energy; is it good or strong enough to help the body ? The effect is actually PLACEBO which I will elaborate in a new thread soon.(more details later)

Hi-Tech products(names like bio-tech, nano-tech that claimed millions of dollars of research involved, eg Bio-Young and XKL few years ago). Most of these will claimed a professor behind them(even with name and picture of a person) or used words like “U.S.A. formula”, “German Technology” or “Nanotechnology” and no further details(more details later). If you ask for more details like the professor or factory’s address, the answer will be “trade secrets”.

9) Investment Schemes - SWISSCASH is the King of all. Swisscash is nearly over now but there are many similar and smaller ones that are still on.(Now, it’s closed or stopped paying back members)

10) GoldQuest - This Company that claimed to be HK-based started with some non-value gold-plated coins that are sold for over RM2,000 have several names and changed products several times. QuestVacation, QuestNet, etc. They have several offices in Amcorp Mall, PJ and their key person(in fact, the owner), a Malaysian Indian was arrested last year in Indonesia for having involved in a very big Phillipines scam. Most of their overseas offices are closed or inactive but their Malaysia business is still hot, with some “energy” products.(Can someone please provide a link which showed the news that their boss was involved in a big scam in Philippines and was arrested in last year ?)

11) Numerology & Fortune telling - A Company named Visible is using MLM to sell fortune telling classes using your birthday based on Numerology fortune telling. Prpspects will be told that they need to buy a certain “number” between 1 to 9 in the form of pendants or bracelets made of stainless steel and sold from RM600 to RM20,000. Customers, or rather victims are mostly females from rural areas. Very hot in Penang now and a number of spin-off Companies have started.

12) MJ-Life - This Company boost of a very big background with many many years of history which is NOT true. Their people or associates may be long in business but nothing to do with their MLM launched recently. Why do I consider it a scam or bad ? New members are told to pay a sum of money(up to RM1000) and you get NOTHING for it. You only get a membership can entitle you to enjoy all sorts of special price and discounts when you have medical check-ups in their centres.. They will claim all those check-ups cost more if done elsewhere. It’s not true. Only the naive and those new to medical check-ups will fall victims to them. Most members who paid the money ended up with nothing.

13) Seaweed Venture Scams - 1 such Company is located in Taman Maluri, Cheras. They will ask you to invest a few thousands ringgits for their venture of growing seaweeds in East Malaysia and you are guaranteed returns. To gain your confidence further, they will tell you your investment money is secured by “insurance” or “unit trusts” & “trustees”. When you ask for further documents to prove, they will give all sorts of excuses or just ignore you because they know they cannot get you. These Seaweed scam is one of the hottest now, warn all your friends about it before they are victimised.

14) MXM(previously MGM) - This is a master scam among the younger group, very successful 2 or 3 years ago but since there moved to their big 10-storey office at Phileo Damansara and changed name to MXM, their business dropped. They collect members RM3,000 to RM4,000 with credit card monthly easy payment and in return you get a hospital benefits insurance from Pacific Insurance worth only a few hundred RMs together with some you-don’t-need medical check-ups from their associate Company Pathlab. Also talk about fitness, lifestyles bullshit that is all worthless.

15) Gano Excel - This company from the north, a copycat of DXN selling Lingzhi capsules created a new Company called Gano iTouch to cash-in on the internet like e-Cosway after their Company went down the drain since the last 2 years, selling Linzhi and some no-value energy pendants and alkaline water gadgets. They provide free transport every weekend from KL to visit their Alor Star office.

16) NuLife(HK) - This Company started by some HK people has been in Malaysia for more than 10 years but they have flopped in HK and Malaysia due to bad management and a product scam making use of a prosecuted American named Dr Jeffrey Bland, found guilty of false products claim. Since this case in the US leaked out and many Malaysians found out that the real boss in HK is a Steven Tang(he cheated many Malaysians in another scheme about 20 years ago) their business went down all the way. Now they claim Malaysian partners cheated them and start a new Company in Malaysia . Watch out, this new Company will come out with some investment scheme idea that will get many to lose their money.

17) Arowana Fish Breeding, Oora from Germany , Biofuel(Kompleks Maluri) etc - These are some newer scams. Arowana fish venture ask you to invest some money and give you fixed return. Biofuel will tell you their Indonesia connections(just like Sunshine Empire before using Taiwan) & Oora from Germany(I never trust those cruel Germans) that market some bio-chips and a gadget that claims to give energy and therapeutic effects of accupunture, tai-chi, yoga, etc depending how you set the toy-like gadget, wear it on your body and you get the effect later. They could not explain or provide any demonstration to prove their effectiveness. Only doctors and papers claim that I will never trust. The health effect is actually PLACEBO, which I will elaborate in a different thread.
James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #170
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #171
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Bungy jumping to feature as new attraction at theme park
By JADE CHAN
Photos by SAM THAM

ADRENALINE junkies and extreme sports enthusiasts will have an added thrill to look forward to soon, when bungy jumping makes its home here with Malaysia’s first permanent bungy jump attraction at Sunway Lagoon.

The attraction is a collaboration between Sunway Lagoon and world-renowned operator of gravity defying activities, the AJ Hackett International Group.

Jumpers will get to experience the thrilling free-fall from a towering 22m above the water, which is equivalent to the height of an eight- to nine-storey building.

Ready, set, go!: 8TV Quickie host Prem Shanker (centre) getting ready to leap off Sunway Lagoon’s pedestrian suspension bridge.

They will have the option of a “water touch”, whereby they can touch the surface of the man-made lake below before they are recovered via an inflatable raft.

The bungy jump platform will be set on the world’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge, near Sunway Lagoon’s Extreme Park.

Sunway Lagoon CEO Aaron Soo was among the first jumpers during a recent trial bungy jumping session.

He revealed that he had already psyched himself up before his jump, and had no phobia whatsoever due to his platform diving experience during his schooldays.

“There was some initial anxiety and concern, considering that this was my first time bungy jumping.

I’m flying!: 8TV Quickie host Prem Shanker diving towards the lake during his bungy jump.

“However, the AJ Hackett personnel were very professional and thorough, and with my safety assured, I felt comfortable jumping off,” Soo said, adding that he felt no jerks or pain during the jump.

While acknowledging a bungy jump accident that happened in Sunway Lagoon sometime back, Soo stressed that his biggest concern was the visitors’ safety.

“That is why we’re working with AJ Hackett International, the original bungy jumping company that has recorded over two million jumps worldwide without any major incidents,” he said.

AJ Hackett International business development manager Graham Whorskey said the purpose of his visit was to test the jump and sort out the necessary mechanics.

“We need to work out a platform to jump off from and the dinghy for the rescue (after the jump is completed.

“Jumpers will have the option of doing it the traditional way (using ankle attachment, with body harness as backup) or the alternative (with body harness strapped around the waist).”

He explained that there were different cords used in bungy jumping with different amounts of rubber.

Scary yet exciting: Star reporter Jade Chan leaping off Sunway Lagoon’s pedestrian suspension bridge!

“The cord with a stronger rubber can accommodate a heavier weight. We can build cords that can accommodate up to 200kg!” said Whorskey, who has been in the business for more than 20 years and has bungy jumped more than 3,000 times.

Also present was Bungy Malaysia Sdn Bhd managing director Richard Tankersley, whose company handles the Malaysian operations of the AJ Hackett International Group.

The staff of Bungy Malaysia will undergo rigorous training at AJ Hackett International’s premises in Bali on all aspects of safety and operations before running the attraction at Sunway Lagoon.

Soo said bungy jumping would be open to the public when all the necessary tests were completed and relevant permits acquired, which he estimated to be in three to six months’ time.

Though the average market price is US$100 (about RM350) for a jump about 40m high, Soo gave an assurance that a market test would be done and the attraction would be offered at a price that visitors could afford.

Although there is no minimum age, Whorskey said children under 10 years were generally not allowed to bungy jump.

“We will most likely open it to visitors aged 11 years and above. People with a heart condition, fear of heights, or are pregnant are not advised to try it,” Soo said.

“All the rules and regulations will be clearly marked through signages once everything is ready.”
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #172
nazrey

Likes (Received): 1778

Khazanah: KidZania to be opened by 2012
Published: 2009/06/23

KHAZANAH Nasional Bhd and its partner, Boustead Holdings Bhd, expect the indoor educational theme park, KidZania Kuala Lumpur, to be opened by 2012.

Khazanah managing director, Tan Sri Azman Mokhtar, said the RM50 million theme park would occupy about 60,000 sq ft at the new building in Mutiara Damansara.

"About 500,000 visitors are expected per annum," he told reporters after the signing of licensing agreement between Rakan Riang Sdn Bhd and KidZania SA de CV today.

Rakan Riang is a joint-venture company between Khazanah and Boustead.

Azman said the theme park was expected to create 400 jobs.

He said the company would announce the entrance fees soon.
Founder/chief executive officer of KidZania SA de CV, Xavier Lopex Ancona, said it cost between US$12 and US$13 to visit KidZania in Jakarta.

KidZania is a family entertainment centre where children play adult roles in a child-sized replica of an actual city with streets, buildings, shops as well as vehicles moving along its streets.

The first KidZania was opened in 1999 in the Santa Fe Shopping Mall of Mexico City. The others are in Japan, Indonesia and Portugal. - Bernama
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #173
nazrey

Boustead, Khazanah to bring Kidzania to Malaysia

The Boustead Group and Khazanah Nasional Bhd will be bringing the increasingly famous Kidzania theme park to Malaysia.

The two parties are expected to sign an agreement next week to build the indoor theme park in Mutiara Damansara, Petaling Jaya.

Kidzania is a family entertainment centre, typically comprising a child-sized replica of a real city.

The city is managed by children and has buildings, shops, streets and vehicles.

The park is to allow children to learn about the adult world by actually engaging themselves in various professions within the 'city'.

The theme park was first created by theme park innovator, Luis Javier Laresgoiti and is the idea of Mexican businessman Xavier Lopez Ancona.

There are now an increasing number of Kidzania parks around the world, including in Mexico City, Monterrey, Tokyo, Jakarta while others are being planned for Dubai, Lisbon, Barcelona, Santiago and Seoul.
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #174
nazrey

Quote:

10.Desa Water Park - KL

anymore??
WORLD CLASS THEME PARK COMING TO TOWN!
Legoland Theme Park, Nusajaya, Johor
KidZania indoor education theme parks, Mutiara Damansara, Petaling Jaya
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #175
nazrey

KidZania indoor education theme parks, Mutiara Damansara, Petaling Jaya

Old June 27th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #176
nazrey

Asia a hot spot for theme park
Saturday June 27, 2009

With its growing economies and expanding middle-class societies, Asia is increasingly becoming a major hotspot for amusement and theme park developments.

There have been a number of projects launched in the region over the past few years such as the Hong Kong Disneyland and the KidZania indoor education theme parks in Japan and Indonesia. And more theme park projects are in the pipeline for the region. These include the Legoland and KidZania theme parks in Malaysia that have been scheduled for opening in 2012 and the Universal Studio on Sentosa Island, Singapore, that will be opened next year.

According to a recent study by the Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) and the Economics Research Associates (ERA), Asia is very far from saturated and its performance is encouragingly different from mature markets such as the United States and Europe. (TEA is an international non-profit organisation that represents the world’s leading creators, developers, designers and producers of compelling places and experiences, while the ERA is an international consultancy for the entertainment and leisure industry.)

“We believe a lot of growth in the industry going forward will be in Asia,” said ERA senior vice-president Ray Braun in the recent TEA/ERA Attendance Report for 2008.

The report also noted that the top 10 themed and water parks in Asia posted a compounded annual growth rate of 0.7% between 2005 and 2008, with a total attendance of 66.9 million in last year alone.

The Sunway Lagoon Theme Park, owned by Malaysia’s conglomerate Sunway Group, ranked seventh on the list of the Top 20 Worldwide Water Parks for 2008. The total attendance it recorded for the year in review was 1.1 million, which represented an increase of 21% from the year before.

As for the impact of the recent economic crisis on the theme park industry, ERA said that on the overall, the numbers and the economy are pointing to lower attendance in 2009. The decline looked as though it would last the majority of 2009 with some possibility of recovery by the end of the year or early 2010.
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #177
nazrey

Malaysia fits well into KidZania’s expansion
Saturday June 27, 2009

The Malaysian market fits well into the expansion plan of KidZania, says its founder and president Xavier Lopez Ancona.

As long as there are at least 700,000 children in the city, we would deem it a worthy investment, he adds.

What’s more, Kuala Lumpur is an important international tourist destination that attracts more than 20 million foreigners every year.

KidZania Kuala Lumpur is scheduled to be open to the public in early 2012. The brand has been franchised to a joint venture between Khazanah Nasional Bhd and Boustead Holdings Bhd through their newly established Rakan Riang Sdn Bhd, in which the former holds an 80% stake and the latter holds 20%.

The RM50mil project to be located in Mutiara Damansara, Petaling Jaya, marked Khazanah’s second investment in theme parks for the country, after its earlier investment of RM750mil for the development of Legoland in Iskandar Malaysia. It also represented Khazanah’s increasing focus on leisure and tourism sector as it has identified significant development opportunities in the area. The KidZania theme park is expected to be a lucrative investment as it is the first-of-its-kind in the country.

With its strategic location in the high-density township of Mutiara Damansara, the theme park is set to draw in a huge crowd every year. The venture would generate two streams of income – one from the visiting patrons and the other from its marketing sponsors.

Taking the entrance fees of US$12 (RM42) per child for KidZania Jakarta as a guide, the venture could generate at least RM20mil from the ticket sales per year if the target of 500,000 visitors per year is achieved.

The ticketing revenue would be on top of other operating revenues, which would come from fees paid by its marketing partners who have set up their brands in the theme park as well as from food and beverage sales.

Hence, Khazanah is confident of recouping its investment in KidZania Kuala Lumpur in less than five years.

As for Boustead, the joint-venture agreement with Khazanah would not have any material effect on the company’s net assets, gearing and earnings for the financial year ending December 2009, according to its recent announcement to Bursa Malaysia.

ECM Libra in its recent report viewed the recent development as a boon to the Mutiara Damansara township developed by the Boustead group. Its analyst said the upcoming KidZania theme park would increase the property values around the township and draw more visitors to The Curve shopping mall.

The analyst thought KidZania was a clever concept as it provides real-life experience of adulthood for children and an opportunity for other corporations to market their brands. For instance, the KidZania theme park in Jakarta has sponsors the likes of AirAsia, Sony, Hewlett Packard and Sunsilk.
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #178
nazrey

Mexican entrepreneur wants to turn KidZania into global brand
Saturday June 27, 2009
By CECILIA KOK

A model of Kidzania. Xavier Lopez Ancona (inset) says from his planning of a
day-care centre, the theme park turns out to be something even more fun
and bigger that could attract an even larger crowd

CHILDREN’s role-playing is a universal concept that has existed for thousands of years. Identifying this as a business opportunity, Mexican entrepreneur Xavier Lopez Ancona founded the KidZania theme park in 1999.

The president on KidZania International told StarBizWeek that the idea for KidZania started 12 years ago when his childhood friend approached him to start a business in day-care centre that would offer a variety of activities that could attract children.

Ancona was then a very successful executive in the equity capital group department of the multinational technology and services conglomerate, General Electric. But he tried to help his friend anyway.

During those two years, Ancona spent his after-hours and weekends helping his friend to draw up a business plan for the day-care centre.

“From planning for a day-care centre, it turned out to be something even more fun and bigger that could attract an even larger crowd,” Ancona says.

So, the first KidZania theme park was opened in Mexico City in 1999. It was an instant hit, and Ancona has never turned back. There are currently two KidZania theme parks in Mexico, including one in Mexico City that attracts an average of 800,000 visitors annually. A third is currently under construction. The concept has also been licensed and franchised to operators in Tokyo and Osaka in Japan; Jakarta, Indonesia; and Lisbon, Portugal.

Healthy activities

KidZania is a “nation” just for children. Targeting those between two and 12, it is an educational and entertainment centre that allows children to role-play adult activities in a replica city designed to imitate real-life and a functioning economy.

What’s even more interesting is that this “nation” has an official currency called kidZos. Children can earn kidZos by working in KidZania, and they can use the currency to pay for the goods and services there. They can also save their money and earn interest from their savings in the “banks” in KidZania.

Ancona believes that parents would like the concept of KidZania, as the programmes in the theme park have been designed to instil positive values in children.

The experience in KidZania is aimed at helping children learn faster about the adult world and how a real city works.

The programmes also help children to develop a sense of vocation as they get to try out the various occupations available at KidZania.

KidZania offers more than 60 professional roles, including pilot, doctor, teacher and journalist, for children to play. But given the limited time of five hours per entry, a child can usually play between five and 10 roles a day. Hence, there is a repeat factor for the children to come to the city again to try out other roles.

According to Ancona, the programmes at KidZania are changed regularly so that there is always something new for the children to experience each time they visit the theme park.

It also has a loyalty programme, whereby children can apply for “citizenship” and be KidZanians. As citizens of KidZania, the children will get a “passport” and enjoy various benefits such as income tax incentives.

Ancona believes that the experience in KidZania would also help children learn about the value of money, and how they have to work hard to earn a living, as well as the importance and benefits of savings.

He says children would also be able to pick up social skills through their interaction with other children in the theme park and learn to make their own decisions.

Ancona reveals that the bulk of the people working in KidZania are mainly the supervisors who have to monitor and guide the children.

“It requires special skills to be a supervisor at KidZania, and we take a long time to select the right people for the job,” he says.

Among the values that he looks in people applying to be a supervisor at KidZania are patience, service orientation and passion for children.

Generally, the KidZania theme park is targeted mainly at the local market, with an ideal composition of 70% local residents and 30% outstation or foreigners.

KidZania’s business has remained fairly resilient through the current economic challenges, owing to the fact that it focuses on the local market, Ancona says.

In recession, most people tend to turn to nearby locations for leisure and entertainment, as they cut down on travelling, he explains.

In addition, the entrance fees for KidZania theme parks are quite affordable, though they vary by countries.

However, Ancona acknowledges that the recent outbreak of the A (H1N1) influenza virus had a negative impact on KidZania’s business in Mexico when the theme parks there had to be closed temporarily.

Nevertheless, it is back to business as usual now in Mexico, he says.

Global brand

KidZania brand is growing fast internationally. He, however, did not reveal how much the business is worth today.

This year will also see the opening of KidZania theme parks in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates, and Seoul, South Korea.

Over the next two years, KidZania theme parks will be opened in Cuicuilco, Mexico; Shanghai, China; Bangkok, Thailand; Santiago, Chile; Istanbul, Turkey; and either Delhi or Mumbai in India. Malaysia will also have a KidZania theme park by 2012.

Most of these expansions have been through franchise programmes.

Ancona explains, “We want to partner the local organisations because they understand the local market better than us.”

As for the ticket pricing structures, Ancona reveals that they are usually determined by KidZania’s franchisees.

“We only make proposals based on the socio-economic levels of the local markets of our franchisees, but the decisions are ultimately in the hands of our local partners,” he explained.

Meanwhile, there is also a plan to open KidZania in the US after the next two years.

“The US is the biggest market in the world for any type of entertainment but it is also a very tough market. You only have one chance to do it right,” Ancona explains, adding that he wants to make KidZania a global brand first before setting its foot in the United States.
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #179
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey View Post
Asia a hot spot for theme park
Saturday June 27, 2009

The report also noted that the top 10 themed and water parks in Asia posted a compounded annual growth rate of 0.7% between 2005 and 2008, with a total attendance of 66.9 million in last year alone.

The Sunway Lagoon Theme Park, owned by Malaysia’s conglomerate Sunway Group, ranked seventh on the list of the Top 20 Worldwide Water Parks for 2008. The total attendance it recorded for the year in review was 1.1 million, which represented an increase of 21% from the year before.
cool!!!
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #180
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Quote:
Khazanah should give theme park a second thought

IT is interesting to note that Khazanah Nasional will be embarking on a RM50mil indoor educational theme park in Mutiara Damansara. According to Khazanah managing director Azman Mokhtar, the payback period is expected to be less than five years (The Star, June 24).

Khazanah is the investment arm of the Government and is empowered as the Government’s strategic investor in new industries and markets. Kidzania, the name of the new educational theme park, is expected to boost the services industry, and is a strong complement to the education and entertainment sectors. It will also create 400 new jobs upon completion.

As an investment arm, Khazanah’s main objective should be the bottom line. It should not consider itself to be a social service provider, which I am sure can be best handled by Perkeso or other non-profit organisations.

Who are the stakeholders of Khazanah? Among them must be the taxpayers and thus, shouldn’t Khazanah’s top priority be the ROI (return on investment)?

We want to see some solid returns coming from Khazanah and I have not seen it performing that satisfactorily ever since its inception. Correct me if I am wrong.

Simple mathematics will tell us that it is impossible to have a payback period in less than five years on a RM50mil venture. If we do not take into account any discount factor, KidZania has to make about RM10mil net profit a year, or about RM850,000 a month to do that.

If the net profit is about 20% of sales (which is pretty conservative), Kidzania would have to hit gross sales of about RM4mil a month.

To go a little further, if Kidzania is charging on average RM40 per entry, it would need to sell about 3,500 tickets a day. And we are talking about filling up a 60,000sq ft space with 3,500 kids, which is about 17sq ft per child, or a 4ft by 4ft space for a child to learn, discover and be entertained! Does it make good business sense? Think about it again.

Has Khazanah done a proper market study on the demand side? It is already venturing into a RM750mil Legoland in Johor, and we do not know how long the payback period is. We may hear that the economy is bouncing back from a crisis, but we are not too sure that it will. An entertainment park makes good business sense only when people have extra money to spend.

As trustee of the Government’s commercial assets, I sincerely hope Khazanah will scrutinise each project carefully before it embarks on any large ventures.

F. S. Universiti Malaysia,
Kuala Lumpur.
Kidzania a proven business model

WE thank the writer FS of Universiti Malaysia for his views and concerns in the letter “Khazanah should give theme park a second thought” (The Star, June 26). We wish to make the following clarifications.

Firstly, as the strategic investment arm of the Government, Khazanah’s investment criteria looks at both the deemed financial viability as well as the strategic significance of potential investments.

From a financial standpoint, there are several stringent investment hurdles and parameters to be met and detailed due diligence is conducted before we embark on any investment.

The investment we believe has clear significant strategic benefits from both the educational and human capital aspects as well as the desired short-run and medium term economic implications of being of relatively high-economic multiplier and in the higher value-add services sector.

Suffice to say that for the investment in KidZania Kuala Lumpur, we are satisfied that it is a venture that will fulfil both the financial and strategic objectives.

Secondly, there are at least three other revenue streams that are critical to have a more informed view of the business model, that is the sponsorship by participating brands as well as the sale of food and beverages and merchandise within the KidZania City.

These multiple revenue streams and KidZania’s track record have made KidZania a proven business model that is taking the market by storm.

This is not exaggerated judging by the record attendances and long waiting lists at its various sites to date. The five-year projected payback period is an estimate based on the actual experience of the existing KidZania theme parks.

Finally, part of the assessment and due diligence revolved around not just projected returns but risk management as well. In this regard, KidZania’s concept is already a proven business model that will significantly reduce up-front risks.

In a relatively short time it has won accolades from the industry, namely the Best Theme Park Worldwide 2001 award by The Themed Entertainment Association and the Top Family Entertainment Centre of the World award by the International Association of Amusement Parks & Attractions in 2003 and 2006.

Just a few weeks ago, it won another major industry recognition - the Global Leisure Operator of the Year – awarded by Retail & Leisure International.

We look forward to getting down to detailed execution work in the next two months and to bring this exciting development to the market by 2012.

MOHD ASUKI ABAS,
Senior Vice-president,
Khazanah Nasional Berhad.

Tags
asia, malaysia, theme park, theme parks