daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Old December 21st, 2008, 09:17 PM   #81
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third of a kind View Post
Hence the fact I said "If" they were built.
Depends on how you interrupt what you wrote. You first said the trains look like ICE trains, than you said "If" the high-speed rail system is in fact built and the trains move as quickly as German ICE trains....I lost your point. What you said is that for sure they are going to be ICE trains, and if the high speed-rail system is built, and the trains run the same way they are in Germany, you'll be amazed.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:11 AM   #82
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Depends on how you interrupt what you wrote. You first said the trains look like ICE trains, than you said "If" the high-speed rail system is in fact built and the trains move as quickly as German ICE trains....I lost your point. What you said is that for sure they are going to be ICE trains, and if the high speed-rail system is built, and the trains run the same way they are in Germany, you'll be amazed.
Hahah, I'll admit bro you definitely got a laugh out of me bro!

I think you've got me all wrong, now what I originally said was "My Bologna has a first name...."

Quite frankly I'd be amazed if any HSR system built out here is on par with the ICE. Unfortunately I think "if" those trains are built, it'll probably run like Amtrak meaning Cali might get an extensive BRT system with its own ROW.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:57 AM   #83
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde

Likes (Received): 15

This might interest y'all. I really want HSR to succeed. I hope to one day work on an HSR project wherever in the US.

davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:11 AM   #84
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
This might interest y'all. I really want HSR to succeed. I hope to one day work on an HSR project wherever in the US.

I like it, they should connect Cleveland and Pittsburgh though, and maybe San Antonio and Houston. I think roping Louisville with the upper Midwest is a little stretching it too, that city should be connected with a southern route.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #85
davsot

I agree with you on San Antonio and Houston. It was the first thing to cross my mind when I saw it because it only makes sense! I also think there should be at least ONE east-to-west HSR line. I guess San Antonio to Los Angeles is not such a bad idea.
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #86
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
I agree with you on San Antonio and Houston. It was the first thing to cross my mind when I saw it because it only makes sense! I also think there should be at least ONE east-to-west HSR line. I guess San Antonio to Los Angeles is not such a bad idea.
Probably would be the easiest way to connect the east and west, yes.
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #87
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 97

San Antonio->Santa Fe->Albuquerque->Phoenix->LA?

Or maybe the same, without Santa Fe?
xXFallenXx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #88
xerxesjc28

Likes (Received): 569

if I am not mistaken that is a map of Amtrak in the USA. I have a question, what is the deal with the gap between the Midwest and Southeast?

To go from say Louisville to Atlanta you would either have to go:

Louisville>Chicago>New Orleans>Atlanta
OR
Louisville>Cincinnati>Raleigh>Charlotte>Atlanta

That seems insane.

Originally Posted by aceflamingo23:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1108
xerxesjc28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #89
davsot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxesjc28 View Post
if I am not mistaken that is a map of Amtrak in the USA. I have a question, what is the deal with the gap between the Midwest and Southeast?

To go from say Louisville to Atlanta you would either have to go:

Louisville>Chicago>New Orleans>Atlanta
OR
Louisville>Cincinnati>Raleigh>Charlotte>Atlanta

That seems insane.
If I'm not mistaken (lol) that is a map of federally-designated high-speed rail corridors, ready to be put to use by whichever private investor wants to do the job and make the upfront investment. However, yes it does show existing Amtrack service. Yes, there's a gap, and mass transit should play a big role in America, you know it has the potential.
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #90
xerxesjc28

why was that funny?

well anyways reason I said that is because I think I saw this map when looking for a train that went to Atlanta from Miami and it was insane the weird gaps on the map. I looked really similar to this one. Finally decided to just fly there.

Does anyone know if High speed rail becomes used in the USA what type of prices could we be looking at? Will it be cheaper than flying? Maybe someone can show some Europe examples to compare prices and distances.

Originally Posted by aceflamingo23:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1108
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #91
davsot

because I started the sentence the same way you did. Sorry.

This is what prices will be like... in California.

http://www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov/map.htm
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #92
xerxesjc28

Neat website, and WOW pretty darn cheap. Considering how much money you would waste in gas, stopping to eat, time wasted, etc. its a great deal.

Old January 7th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #93
urbanaturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I like it, they should connect Cleveland and Pittsburgh though, and maybe San Antonio and Houston. I think roping Louisville with the upper Midwest is a little stretching it too, that city should be connected with a southern route.
Like a Louisville thru Nashville to Atlanta?

I see Canadian cities are trying to link into the rail grid.
urbanaturalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #94
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanaturalist View Post
Like a Louisville thru Nashville to Atlanta?
Umm yeah, that is exactly what needs to happen. I have a feeling that Tennessee was neglected not by the federal government, but the state government themselves. Why else wouldn't the line go through Nashville?

Quote:
I see Canadian cities are trying to link into the rail grid.
If we can work together to find a way around the boarder issue, than I think Canadian links would be great. Detroit to Toronto might also be a nice line, why not huh? Or maybe Buffalo to Toronto, although Toronto probably fits better with the upper Midwest. Then again, they could do both, and have a major high-speed train hub in Toronto.

Last edited by Onn; January 7th, 2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #95
davsot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxesjc28 View Post
Neat website, and WOW pretty darn cheap. Considering how much money you would waste in gas, stopping to eat, time wasted, etc. its a great deal.
Yea and it's also much faster! :P Don't High Speed Trains rock? I read on Wikipedia that America was perfect for HSR because our major metropolitan areas are so far apart, that it just made sense to build HSR. Plus it offers "energy security" in case there's an oil embargo and the country can't even move by plane. I love SkysracperCity.

Quote:
If we can work together to find a way around the boarder issue, than I think Canadian links would be great. Detroit to Toronto might also be a nice line, why not huh? Or maybe Buffalo to Toronto, although Toronto probably fits better with the upper Midwest. Then again, they could do both, and have a major high-speed train hub in Toronto.
It only makes sense because look at EU. So many countries connected by HSR. Why can't we? We're going to have to replace NAFTA with some kind of NAU (North American Union). Lol, and our currency would be Amero (no need to go so far).
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #96
Onn
BANNED

Quote:

It only makes sense because look at EU. So many countries connected by HSR. Why can't we? We're going to have to replace NAFTA with some kind of NAU (North American Union). Lol, and our currency would be Amero (no need to go so far).
I like the idea, I just think Congress is going to have problems with it. Could be wrong of course, we will just have to wait and see what happens. I think one day soon the rail links into Canada are certainly possible.
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #97
davsot

and Mexico! They have a vast rail network. No HSR that I'm aware of though.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:21 AM   #98
hoosier

Likes (Received): 8

Why does the federal government mandate private investment? That is total bullshit. God forbid the government actually spend money on beneficial domestic projects.
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #99
davsot

Wake me up when that happens. Hope Obama really does bring change. :P
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:28 AM   #100
hoosier

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:

Wake me up when that happens. Hope Obama really does bring change. :P
Don't count on it. If we want to see comprehensive nationwide HSR, then we'll have to go to China.

Tags
high speed rail