daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia > BC Transportation & Infrastructure

BC Transportation & Infrastructure BC Transportation & Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #41
dleung
BANNED

Likes (Received): 131

Updated map, with several more LRT routes in the suburbs. Notice I am very Richmond-centric. But we're talking about 25-30 years down the road though, when the single family homes become 4-12 storey mixed-use village-type developments. The only single-family districts would be the West Side outside of the nodes, the most sensitive parts of the North Shore (ie towards Lighthouse park/up the mountain), Point Grey, and some suburban areas where high-density is impractical due to topography or remoteness or unfeasibility of public transit.

The interesting ones:
-North Shore LRTs for upscale mini-high-rise mixed-use districts (granted the nimbys get mature about it)
-Como Lake LRT for 6-12 storey mostly-residential type development along the ridge
-Ioco LRT for similar development as Como Lake LRT
-A South Fraser LRT, with tracks crossing the fraser integrated into the eventual Port Mann bridge upgrade.
-The LRTs in Richmond would serve 4-storey condo/retail corridors 6 blocks deep that would make up 60% of the city, (granted we don't sink into the pacific before that happens.)

As for existing and future downtowns, I'm thinking of districts about 2x larger and 2x denser than Metrotown currently. The ones on the North Shore would be consist of smaller buildings, and more spread out, with greenery in between. Obviously Brentwood has potential to become pretty large. I didn't do a category for "future nodes", as it is assumed that there would be mid-to-high-rise nodes at every skytrain station. Oh yeah, I forgot to put yellow in the legend- seabus.

The most radical thing in this proposal, besides the densification of Vancouver/Burnaby south, is a new large downtown core (2/3 the size of downtown Van) just south of SFU encompassing 4 skytrain stations. It will be centred on the ravine valley running right through the area... should make for some interesting cityscapes. Seeing that several of the eastern suburban lines will intersect here, it will be pretty busy.

dleung no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #42
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

A good map although Imust admit I find it a bit unrealistic within even 50 years.
Couple of comments........the commuter rail line from Scott Rd Sky to WhiteRock would be a waste of money with little ridership. It is FAR faster just to take the WR BRT to Canada Line, it is a very indirect route, and only two potential stops in the entire area of WR/SS.
The commuter line from Langley to SR Skystation is a good one but should go over the Fraser all the way downtown using the rail along Lougheed/MLine corridor. It should run all day using smaller trains a la Ottawa OTrain or the new bus-trains which are buses that can , obviously, run on roads but can also transfer to rail lines immediatly. This is what Translink should be using along the WCE during the day but that would require vision on Translink's part and Translink doesn't do the vision thing.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #43
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

W1 is a TrainBus (forgot to include that)

Last edited by deasine; October 12th, 2008 at 06:54 AM.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #44
nova9

Likes (Received): 1

I like the airbus. Haha. I've seen some talk of it on these forums but what's the possibility that this mode is a real consideration?

Also, pardon my ignorance, but are R1 through R5 just buses? Does the R stand for road bus?

Anyway, thanks for this. I'd love to see fantasy brought into reality.
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #45
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
I like the airbus. Haha. I've seen some talk of it on these forums but what's the possibility that this mode is a real consideration?

Also, pardon my ignorance, but are R1 through R5 just buses? Does the R stand for road bus?

Anyway, thanks for this. I'd love to see fantasy brought into reality.
I liked AirBus too. If you can believe it, I thought of the name randomly and didn't realize it was the same name as the plane -___-"

The "R" buses are RapidBus, which is the new name of the next generation of B-Line BRTs for Vancouver?

I just modified the map slightly so it can fit onto more peoples screen. It's still pretty big right now but it just fits on mine right now =P
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #46
rbostyle

Likes (Received): 0

After visiting these forums for a good year or so, I figured it'd finally be time to sign up and get an account. I've been working on a 20 year plan over the past 2 nights, and this is where I am so far. The shot isn't the greatest, but it's all in google earth so I could get as accurate as possible (with the google maps terain image imported for cleanliness/ease of viewing). The Google Earth WIP .kmz can be downloaded here (stations don't load correctly if importing onto maps.google)

image hosted on flickr

(click for bigger)

A brief description so far:
(there was more thought behind everything, but I'll explain all that once I'm finished, as I have yet to complete the loop - something going out to the ferries and meeting up with the blue line, as well as the inclusion of the west coast express)

Generally, my plan was to have stations in the larger centres, and near universities/colleges, because people won't use transit if their destination requires too many transfers. As well, much of the development south of the fraser isn't even visible on the satellite images of google earth, so although some stations may seem useless, the present-day situation is much different. I've also elected to rename the vancouver/burnaby lines to colours, to allow for much easier recognition (i.e. in station paint schemes/maps). That said:

The red line from waterfront to king george exists as the expo line, but i've added a few more stations swinging behind surrey memorial hospital and back to king george hwy, hitting bear creek park, kings cross, and down to newton to meet up with the purple line just south of 72nd.

The yellow line from columbia to vcc-clark exists as the millenium line, with a number of other people locating this proposed extension to ubc, with a station just north of prince edward before passing main-kingsway, meeting the blue line at broadway-city hall, and continuing down 10th (with station entrances on broadway) with stations at oak, granville (with red line "granville" renamed "downtown-granville"), arbutus, etc. until it enters UBC and finishes just west of wesbrook mall, at the ubc bus exchange.

The blue line is the under construction canada line and should be done this summer, though I added in the proposed future station at 33nd Ave, and renamed it Queen Elizabeth.

And the green line is the proposed evergreen line, though i've reconfigured it to take over the old millenium line track from columbia to lougheed, then continue out to douglas college in poco, with some elevated, some underground, and some at-grade segments. (meets up with the west coast express at the port moody station and coquitlam center station)

The purple line/interurban is part of the old interurban that people are trying to get back on track, which I have starting just down the hill from columbia station, across the rail bridge and up through delta/surrey, with stops in nordel, newton, sullivan, cloverdale, langley, glover, and on to twu before passing over the eastbound lanes of HWY1 to follow the median out to abbotsford.

The sea foam line/south fraser line meets up at the transit village at surrey central (which i've renamed surrey centre cause it's more inline with the naming standards throughout the region) then goes up to 104th and out to guildford, turning down 152nd to fraser hwy, through fleetwood, clayton heights, and ending up passing through langley centre and out to kwantlen before the terminus with the interurban at glover. The stops are closer together than skytrain because it'd likely be an at-grade light rail, so the more stops the better.

The peach line/white rock line heads south along 152nd from sullivan (64th) stopping at morgan creek, semiahmoo, white rock centre, and pacific ave. I'm not sure what tech the peach and sea foam lines would be, but mixed elevated/ground-level light rail could work.

And then there's the 200th st line going up from willowbrook (connecting with the fraser line), stopping at the new sports centre, and ending up north of the collosus in walnut grove.

And lastly the boundary line in van/burnaby going south along boundary from the hastings bus exchange, curving up towards joyce-collingwood, and then out along w41st past oakridge ending up in kerrisdale. It'd likely be ground-level until collingwood (though good luck in the areas around grandview and HWY1) before heading underground along 41st.

At this point I'm really just looking for feedback. Living in the area around 64th and 120th in delta is a pain for getting anywhere. I.e. I used to go to school at the SFU Surrey campus, I would bus out to 22nd st station and train back to surrey central. It was the fastest and most reliable route. To get anywhere out in Langley, it's virtually impossible with any realistic timeline, hence why surrey has a little more emphasis than dleung's burnaby-centric model (which is not a negative comment ).

Last edited by rbostyle; January 27th, 2009 at 02:54 AM. Reason: added google earth .kmz
rbostyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #47
rbostyle

Just gave the network a substantial upgrade.

Now have the yellow line going the SE route up to the Port Coquitlam WCE station, where the green line also meets up. On the surrey/langley side, I extended the 200th/Golden Ears line up across the Golden Ears bridge to meet the Maple Ridge WCE station. Then we have the white Ladner line leaving Nordel station, down nordel, winding under the alex fraser with a few stops for the industries along River Road, before going south through ladner, and past tsawwassen to the ferry terminal. At Ladner Trunk station, the Lulu line meets it, and travels north into Richmond with a terminus at the Richmond-Brighouse Blue line station.

It's all accurate down to a few metres, though I confess to not being entirely sure how it would work in some areas, especially the Lulu, cause you can't tunnel through that ground, and the streets are super narrow..

image hosted on flickr

Again, click for big, and here's the Google Earth data which again, doesn't show the stations correctly if you import it to google maps.
Also, here's a map of just the routes and transfer points.

And I need to make myself stop now. /turns off SimVancouver.

Last edited by rbostyle; January 27th, 2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: google earth file
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #48
rbostyle

Another update to the map. The newton/north delta/fleetwood area wasn't working right. So I've retooled through the area, ending up with much more effective routes, and less redundancy. As well, now we can get the surrey kwantlen campus connected, scott road via nordel, and 72nd at surrey lake.

Looking at it again I can already see changes I'd want to make on the south fraser line, like removing the Surrey Golf Course stop, the 96th avenue stop, and combining the 88th and 160th stops.

Disclaimer: the south fraser, white rock, and golden ears lines are intended to be at-grade median light rail (or on the shoulder along agricultural lands) or median-elevated light rail in the denser areas. i.e. Good luck convincing them to dedicate 2.5 or 3 lanes on fraser hwy for a 2-way light rail line, but you can bet it would be worth it..

image hosted on flickr

I'm ready to go for a ride, how 'bout you?
(for now, download the google map routes)