daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Old February 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #121
di Livio

Likes (Received): 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Knight View Post
But all bus stations are like that! In terms of layout, I think Leeds' one is very nice - certainly better than Nottingham's :p
Nottingham's bus station is vile.

It actually wasn't that long ago that council leaders from mainland europe visited Leeds bus station because it was seen as a good example of a redeveloped city centre station. Hard to believe but true.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 8th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #122
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Knight View Post
But all bus stations are like that! In terms of layout, I think Leeds' one is very nice - certainly better than Nottingham's :p
Yes but ours will be gone soon and replaced with a new one. Should bus stations be grotty like you say though? I don't think they should. A lot of train stations in this country look nice. I can't think of one nice bus station off the top of my head.
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #123
LeedsLad

Likes (Received): 14

I don't see the problem with the bus station? It's very light and plenty of glass - what would get proposed in it's place? Probably something with lots of glass...
It's never going to be 'posh', but ours serves it's purpose - how could it be improved?
LeedsLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #124
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 538

I don't mind the bus station itself, but I don't like walking from Vicar Lane to the bus station late at night. That could and should be improved.

I think there are some nice bus stations; most of the new bus stations funded by Metro are good like Keighley Bus Station.
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #125
Suburban Knight
▀ANNED

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan88 View Post
Yes but ours will be gone soon and replaced with a new one. Should bus stations be grotty like you say though? I don't think they should. A lot of train stations in this country look nice. I can't think of one nice bus station off the top of my head.
At the end of the day, you can build the nicest bus station possible, but it'll still be the same people using it.
Suburban Knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #126
MattN

Location: Arnold, Notts (home)/Leeds (family)/Huddersfield (University)
Likes (Received): 58

Broad Marsh Bus Station replaced soon? I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't see anything hugely wrong with Leeds Bus Station though. The Coach Station entrance seems ridiculously tight but I think they were designed separately anyway.

As for nice ones, from what I've seen most of Metro/SYPTE's more recent bus stations fit the bill, and Hull's.
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #127
cmj

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan88 View Post
Well not dealt with just move the bus station to a more appropriate and nice part of the city centre. The bus station itself looks dated and isn't a pleasant place to be.
If it was to move somewhere else in the city centre where would it go that's appropriate?
If you move the bus station i still can't imagine it being a nice place to be, as all the scrotes will likely move with it.
cmj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #128
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

A very quiet Leeds Station taken today.

image hosted on flickr
Old February 16th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #129
CityGent
In the aeroplane over B1

Likes (Received): 104

According to uk.railway the barriers at Leeds will accept any ticket with a magnetic strip... credit card receipts, old tickets, the lot!
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #130
nathjm

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGent View Post
According to uk.railway the barriers at Leeds will accept any ticket with a magnetic strip... credit card receipts, old tickets, the lot!
Yeah I noticed that when I was at the station on Sunday, it happily let me through the barrier with a old ticket I had which was about 3 weeks old!

I suppose that's one good point about the Leeds barriers, it doesn't gobble up your ticket, so your free to use it as much as you like to get through the barriers!
nathjm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #131
cmj

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathjm View Post
Yeah I noticed that when I was at the station on Sunday, it happily let me through the barrier with a old ticket I had which was about 3 weeks old!

I suppose that's one good point about the Leeds barriers, it doesn't gobble up your ticket, so your free to use it as much as you like to get through the barriers!
So the barriers are, in effect, useless.

That said, they didn't accept a Horsforth - York ticket when I tried it, nor did it accept the credit card receipt thing.
cmj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #132
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

I've been taking advantage of the useless barriers for months. I get off at Burley Park so it's quite easy to do.
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #133
Suburban Knight
▀ANNED

Likes (Received): 72

Can you still buy platform permits? Anyone going to an unmanned nearby station like Crossgates, Burley Park or Horsforth could save loads with those!
Suburban Knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #134
Leeds No.1

Horsforth is a manned station. Plus on occasion, the conductor comes between Horsforth and Headingley.

You should be able to get platform tickets from somewhere. I don't know if they've replaced the machines that sold them though. One of my friends did that once and got caught though. Just got a warning luckily.
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #135
MattN

Location: Arnold, Notts (home)/Leeds (family)/Huddersfield (University)
Likes (Received): 58

So's Cross Gates, I suspect he means a station without ticket checks. I'm not sure any others nearby have them except Huddersfield?
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #136
Leeds No.1

I thought you could get to the platforms freely on most stations except Leeds City?
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #137
Wharfman

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
Horsforth is a manned station. Plus on occasion, the conductor comes between Horsforth and Headingley.

You should be able to get platform tickets from somewhere. I don't know if they've replaced the machines that sold them though. One of my friends did that once and got caught though. Just got a warning luckily.
Available for 20p from the ticket office.
Wharfman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #138
Leeds No.1

Used to be 30p
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #139
LoveTheCity
LS17

Likes (Received): 59

I always knew them to be 20p from the machine before the ticket barrier..
LoveTheCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #140
Leeds No.1

It went up to 30p a while back, as did entry to the concourse toilets. Perhaps it has gone back down.