search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Western Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #241
wexford
Not sleeping

Likes (Received): 27

I take that back, same tale different text. But it's still an "old" story which they didn't pick up on till later than a suburban rag.
wexford no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #242
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

Likes (Received): 244

Hmmm, where to place this discussion - Old Perth or Architectural Design Discussions? Old Perth I think for starters, since Willetton used to have one plonked on the corner of Karel Avenue and Leach Hwy...

So - anybody remember this funky house?

FUTURO HOUSE

Over time it deteriorated, the local kids used to climb inside to smoke and drink and do whatever else the local kids did, so eventually it was removed.

I'm going to add more pics and information re the Futuro House in the Architectural thread.
dallastexjr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #243
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 450

Haha that's so cool. I love the whole "1950s futuristic design".
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #244
GAbE27
phototaker

Likes (Received): 48

Where was that??

Ceux qui représentent rien chute pour n'importe quoi !!
GAbE27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #245
Dilaz89

Likes (Received): 3649

hey i remember that!

Where did it come from?
Dilaz89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #246
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

Information below from State Library of WA...

"Futuro House was designed by the Finnish architect, Matti Suuronen in 1968. Ninety six of these plastic spaceship houses were built around the world. The houses were almost 9 metres wide and 3.6 metres high inside. It contained one bedroom, a bathroom, living room complete with fireplace, dining room, kitchen and retractable stairs for easy access to the house. The Futuro House was in Perth as part of the Collier Home Expo."

See Architectural Thread for more information and pics.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=650029&page=5
Old February 13th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #247
miensie
Dreaming of Revelry

Likes (Received): 22

The first image reminds me of a widgiddy (sp) grub. Ick.

Quote:
BartBart:
I think Miensie could beat Sanj in a fight.
miensie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #248
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

HERITAGE GRANTS AND ALLOCATION

http://www.perth.wa.gov.au/documentdb/1152.pdf

Heritage property owners were informed of the grants scheme in December 2008 through direct mailing. There were also information releases through email and the City of Perth publication ‘Talking Heritage’ and information on the City of Perth internet site. The City received ten applications for heritage grants, which compares well with previous years.

Two funding applications were considered to be outside the eligibility conditions for heritage grants. Both are for churches, which are not rateable properties and therefore not eligible under the current criteria. St John’s Lutheran Church is also within the East Perth Redevelopment Authority area, which generally excludes properties from heritage incentives.

Given the number of applicants and the funding sought, the recommended grants aim at supporting each project to approximately 50% funding, up to the maximum of $40,000.

Several of the properties have previously received funding through the Heritage Program and are continuing restoration schemes or acting on the recommendations of a City-funded conservation plan. Previous funding has not generally been used as a factor in determining grant recommendations in this round.

The Young Australia League (YAL) Building is continuing its program of repairs,
guided by a conservation plan. It has three oriel windows on the Irwin Street façade of the building, which are in need of structural work. The owners are intending to raise funding for future repairs through a transfer of unused plot ratio. Until this is finalised, however, the Council has been asked to maintain its support for necessary works.

569 Wellington Street was allocated $30,000 towards the repair and painting of the building façade. The cost quoted at that time did not include scaffolding, as it was intended to use an alternative access method. It has since been established that the presence of a temporary bus stop outside the building has required the use of scaffolding, which has increased the total cost to $70,000. In light of this, it is recommended that a grant of $5,000 is allocated to bring the Council’s total contribution to around 50%, which is in line with other funding this round.

Lawson Apartments has now submitted the conservation plan that was prepared with support from the Council. One of the recommendations for immediate works was the repair of the plumbing and drainage system. The owners face increased costs for this type of maintenance as they follow conservation guidelines and retain original fabric wherever possible. This requires the use of caulking for the cast iron pipes, with lining used if repair is not an option. The work also ensures that the risk of damage to the building from leaking plumbing is reduced.

Applicants for 26 - 28 King Street and 69 King Street are seeking to bring the
appearance of their buildings up to the standard appropriate to the area. With the high profile of King Street as a tourist and visitor attraction, it is felt that support is appropriate
. The recommendation of funding for canopy repairs to 69 King Street also follows this reasoning.

61 King Street has recently been vacated and is undergoing long term conservation works. One of the key issues that the property owner wishes to address is damp in the basement, which is a high priority issues that warrants support from the Heritage Program.

The WA Club, 101 St Georges Terrace, is undergoing a series of works and
restoration projects. One of the issues faced by the property is the safety and viability of the main access route. It is proposed that the original heavy wooden doors are supplemented by secondary, self-opening doors that comply with current universal access requirements. In addition, a scheme of works is needed to ensure that the main stair meets fire regulations.
The total funding recommended is $205,000, which is available in the appropriate budget item.

COMMENTS:

The Heritage Program’s grant funding has proved to be successful in encouraging works and conservation plans that are unlikely to have been undertaken without the Council’s support. The outcomes for the city’s heritage are improved presentation in the streetscape and an increased longevity due to better care and maintenance.

The Council may wish to consider how applications from churches or not-for-profit organisations should be addressed if they are seeking minor funding for conservation works for non-rateable property. In 2007, as part of a review of the Heritage Program, the Council indicated that changing the eligibility criteria was not a preferred option. Since then, submissions from St George’s Cathedral and St Mary’s Cathedral for support have been addressed individually, with the Council offering funding of $250,000 to each. The Council has also approved joint funding of landscaping at Wesley Church, with a similar budget.

Each of the current ineligible applicants proposes a conservation plan, which is considered to be a valuable report for the ongoing care and management of a heritage property, with a total cost of $38,780. The Council is invited to consider whether there is opportunity to support these studies and to give direction on how such applications should be addressed in future.
Old February 14th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #249
Blindfold
I said love, I said pet

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastexjr View Post
So - anybody remember this funky house?

FUTURO HOUSE

I grew up in Willetton so the Futuro House was very iconic of my childhood I guess. Such a shame it was removed simply because the City of Canning couldn't (or wouldn't) keep paying for its maintenance. It was a landmark in a sea of suburbs completely devoid of landmarks. There is a Facebook group dedicated to it's memory.
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #250
wexford
Not sleeping

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindfold View Post
I grew up in Willetton so the Futuro House was very iconic of my childhood I guess. Such a shame it was removed simply because the City of Canning couldn't (or wouldn't) keep paying for its maintenance. It was a landmark in a sea of suburbs completely devoid of landmarks. There is a Facebook group dedicated to it's memory.
I lived nowhere near Willetton, but as a kid it was always the "spaceship suburb" when we drove past or visited someone there. Definitely an icon. I remember how disappointed I was when it was gone.
wexford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #251
PerthSM

Likes (Received): 0

Oh my gosh, I remember that!
PerthSM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #252
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindfold View Post
There is a Facebook group dedicated to it's memory.
Two groups actually:

FUTURO HOUSE
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...id=50024021658

Bring Back The Leach Hwy/Karel Ave Spaceship
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...gid=8488105468
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #253
Auxodium
55.53% of WA is backwards

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilaz89 View Post
hey i remember that!

Where did it come from?

why space of course!
Auxodium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #254
jackso

Likes (Received): 2140

Before my time. This is the first ive heard of it. Granted i never traveled into willetton much.
Pretty cool though.
jackso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #255
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Likes (Received): 2322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxodium View Post
why space of course!
Wasn't it on X-Files?
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #256
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

Look, it flies!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_8Ymlmcv5BQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_8Ymlmcv5BQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #257
Nate Von Longneck II
bye bye

Likes (Received): 3

I also grew up in Willetton.... that spaceship was so cool, and a definite architectural highlight of my youth.

I always wondered what happened to it... it lasted a long time in that spot on Leach Hwy.
Nate Von Longneck II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #258
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 1553

just bringing this to everyones attention, it is from the old thread in the archives section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damient86 View Post
Hey guys, long time reader first time poster. I'm a projectionist at the Piccadilly, and even though the building itself was seriously destroyed in the 80's there remains a large amount of plaster and renderwork extant in cavities and dead spaces left after the tripling. It would be almost impossible and prohibitively expensive not to mention economically pointless to restore the cinema at this point to a single screen, but it's nice to know they just covered a lot up. Does anyone know who holds original blueprints for city buildings and what the access is, especially for buildings no longer standing or majorly modified.

I thought I should do an update on Perth, as it is currently a quickly changing city. The Bairds (come Myer) buidling on Wellington (Next to the Globe) is covered in scaffolding. It looks like its part of the Wellington Building project. Anyone know what this building's fate is. Also, at the beginning of this project, the facade of the Mitchell Building on William was originally kept, but during the project was removed. Is this facade in storage? The top floors of the Walsh building are being leased as office space finally.

Oh also When the Theatre Royal shopfronts were redone about a year ago they pulled back panelling and words "Theatre Royal Hotel Metropole" were still there.

If anyone has any questions about the Piccadilly I can probably help out somewhat.

Cheers, Damien.

First post w00t

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE
docker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #259
Cygnet
Sandgroper

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by damient86 View Post
If anyone has any questions about the Piccadilly I can probably help out somewhat.

Cheers, Damien.

First post w00t
Welcome, Damien, and thanks for the info.

How long have you worked at the Piccadilly? Is anyone from Regent Cinemas (which I assume no longer exists) still involved?
Cygnet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #260
jackso

Likes (Received): 2140

Damien both the globe, and bairds building are part of the 140 william development. There is a thread about it here in the WA section. It takes up the huge area over Perth underground, bordered by Wellington, William, Murray and the GPO/Comm bank buildings.
Also, the facade from William street is in storage and will be re-installed as part of the development.

Exciting stuff.

And i have to say, piccadilly hasnt been looking to good lately.
jackso no está en línea   Reply With Quote