daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Urban

Urban discussions on urbanisation, urban society, economy, infrastructure, urban events and entertainment

Old April 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM   #61
regjeex
Daghay na BANN3D_lol

Likes (Received): 86

I just wanna share you guys how skyways, walkways and underpass in Philippines.

Greenbelt 4 @ Makati City connected to other malls

Sponsored Links

Old April 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM   #62
regjeex
Daghay na BANN3D_lol

Walkways at dela Rosa Makati

at night
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:04 PM   #63
clarence

Likes (Received): 0

let's see if m'sia can do better. very nice
clarence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM   #64
regjeex
Daghay na BANN3D_lol

yes you can! that photos are just some parts of makati ill post some tomrow for the underpasses....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
let's see if m'sia can do better. very nice
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:03 PM   #65
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Likes (Received): 723

i think the Berjaya times square pedestrian walk bridge way much better than that!!!!
rizalhakim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM   #66
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellator View Post
What I meant was sheltered ground level sidewalks not elevated walkways.
Attracting pedestrians on to sidewalks is a good idea.
I have no problems with trees. But they do breakup the sidewalk and drains and sometimes obstruct the way, the smaller ornamental trees do not provide any shelter. Trees are alright for areas with large sidewalks and space but not so suitable for built up city centre areas with limited sidewalk space.

Must we suffer the heat and rain when we walk the streets just because we are in the tropics. Alfresco dining is all the rage in KL, but its all in the shade not many will sit under the direct sun.

A sidewalk with minimal obstructions, smooth and even and if possible shade from the sun and rain will attract pedestrians. For a sheltered ground level sidewalk in the city centre, a properly designed canopy that provides good shade, ventilation and is aesthetically pleasing can be more practical.

If there is shade pedestrians will come out. It can be provided by trees or a built canopy, I am just giving my view that some times trees are not the better solution.
fair enough - we can hope and expect for a compromise - trees and street level walkways but no need for elevated walkways unless you are going from elevated to not elevated areas e.g. Pavillion - KLCC.

Unfortunately, sometimes ideas need to be knocked about so the compromise can be reached - otherwise you will end up with the DBKL's shining walkway connecting Bukit Nanas to Dang Wangi.

I suppose there is justification for walkways around public transport stations that are already elevated - but not like the one they showed for Bukit Bintang/Sultan Ismail.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:49 AM   #67
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 4

Why the Bukit Nanas-Dang Wangi escalator doesnt work

This email was sent to me regarding the walkway along Jalan Ampang between Bukit Nanas monorail and Dang Wangi LRT.

Quote:
the pedestrian walkway across Jalan Ampang outside
the Dang Wangi LRT station had not been working for over a year.

Perhaps you had read that from my blog ekopitiam.blogspot.com which I had
mentioned in my earlier post and which is admittedly is rather out of date
by now.

Well on 26 March, 2009, I had occassion to exit the Dang Wangi station at
about 2.45pm. It was raining heavily, so while waiting for the rain to ease,
I decided to take a look at whether the escalator was still not working and
sure enough it was not. Now that's almost three years now as you can see in
the picture attached herewith, which I have left in full resolution in
case you want to submit them for publication.

However, thanks to the heavy rain, I was able to see why it was not working
and why it will never work unless some espensive modifications are made --
namely, that the foot of the escalator is at ground level and rain water
floods its foot,
. as you can see from the third photo

You can also see two concrete blocks placed at the foot as stepping stones
for those who want to avoid getting their feet wet if they decide to walk up
the stationary escalator while it is raining.

The feet of other semi-enclosed, semi-protected escalators, such as those at
the Bukit Nanas, Raja Chulan, Bukit Bintang and Imbi monorail stations are
elevated above ground, requiring users to walk up a few concrete steps
before using these escalators which work but here, the foot and its
mechanism below are flooded by the rain water.

This is a shameful design oversight of the escalators for this key pedestrian
footbridge and I hope that Transit can exert its presure and influence to
get some action taken about this.

With many thanks and regards
So there you go - really bad planning and poor attention to detail - they need to get things done right before we can even start worrying about maintenance (and why are the lights not working - they arent affected by the rain)

The photos of the walkway and the message from the sender have been posted to the TRANSIT website at http://transitmy.org/2009/04/02/ligh...g-for-3-years/

Cheers, m

Last edited by allurban; April 3rd, 2009 at 05:16 AM.
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #68
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Cipta reka bentuk jejantas

KUALA LUMPUR 21 Ogos - Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur (DBKL) sedang menganjurkan pertandingan reka bentuk jejantas dan laluan pejalan kaki di kalangan penuntut institut pengajian tinggi di seluruh negara.

Menurut laman web rasmi DBKL, pertandingan yang diadakan itu dijangka menyelesaikan isu jejantas dan laluan pejalan kaki sedia ada yang reka bentuknya kurang menarik dan tidak sesuai dengan taraf Kuala Lumpur sebagai ibu negara.

Selain itu, pertandingan juga diadakan untuk mendapatkan konsep untuk diguna pakai dalam Pelan Struktur Kuala Lumpur 2020.

Tema pertandingan ialah 'Walking The Streets of Kuala Lumpur, The World Class City'.

Objektif pertandingan adalah untuk mencungkil bakat pereka muda dari golongan pelajar dari IPTA dan IPTS dan mencari reka bentuk jejantas dan laluan pejalan kaki yang lebih kontemporari bersesuaian dengan visi dan misi DBKL.

Di samping itu, ia memberi pendedahan awal serta peluang penglibatan di dalam perancangan rupa bentuk perbandaran di Kuala Lumpur.

Pertandingan yang sudah dimulakan pada 27 Julai lepas akan berakhir pada 30 September ini akan diadili pada 5 sehingga 9 Oktober depan.

Hadiah utama ialah wang tunai RM7,000 dan beberapa hadiah iringan yang lain.

Penuntut yang berminat boleh melayari laman web DBKL di http://www.dbkl.gov.my untuk mendapatkan keterangan lanjut dan memuat turun borang penyertaan.

Last edited by rizalhakim; August 26th, 2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #69
nazrey

Likes (Received): 1416

The storey is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizalhakim View Post
Cipta reka bentuk jejantas

Objektif pertandingan adalah untuk mencungkil bakat pereka muda dari golongan pelajar dari IPTA dan IPTS dan mencari reka bentuk jejantas dan laluan pejalan kaki yang lebih kontemporari bersesuaian dengan visi dan misi DBKL.

Pertandingan yang sudah dimulakan pada 27 Julai lepas akan berakhir pada 30 September ini akan diadili pada 5 sehingga 9 Oktober depan.

Hadiah utama ialah wang tunai RM7,000 dan beberapa hadiah iringan yang lain.
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #70
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 623

Just RM7000. come on DBKL, we are upper middle class income country.. can give more than that. at least rm15 - 20,000;-) that is reasonable for present time. for sure the student would design/do it properly for that prize. just my 2 C ;-)).
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #71
KelvinKoh
BANNED

bukan ke project tu sepatutnya dah start? takkan baru nak buat pertandingan? i don't understand....
KelvinKoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #72
nazrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelvinKoh View Post
bukan ke project tu sepatutnya dah start? takkan baru nak buat pertandingan? i don't understand....
project tu?? project dalam thread ni belum start punya ...project ini adalah walkway yang boleh access laluan untuk LEBIH kemudahan dan kehebatan bandaraya Kuala Lumpur..sekali lagi untuk rakyat dan semua!
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #73
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

image hosted on flickr

the skybridge from Surian Tower to cineleisure damansara
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #74
nazrey

Really Catch Up with the Eyes
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #75
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Skybridge from Sogo to LRT Station!!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #76
Wirachai

I agree there is a lot of clutter underneath. Might be a good idea but should think twice.
Wirachai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #77
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Pedestrian crossings not as safe as expected
By LIM CHIA YING

PEDESTRIAN bridges, walkways and underground tunnels can be a boon to the community as they help pedestrians safely get across the streets, but are they really safe?

In some cases, these amenities are not well-maintained and are poorly lit at night, posing a threat to the safety of users.

Badly-designed walkways also discourage people from using them.

Quiet: The walkway outside the Pudu LRT station is often deserted at night.

While pedestrian bridges may not mean much to motorists, pedestrians rely on these structures to get around.

However, there are still pedestrians who prefer to risk life and limb by dashing across the road.

These pedestrians often claim that the bridges are inconvenient to use or are dangerous, especially at night.

During a random survey, StarMetro found that one of these ‘problem’ bridges is located near the Pudu LRT station.

The middle stretch of the bridge was devoid of fluorescent lights and, as early as 7pm, it was already quiet and isolated.

Regular commuter Moaz Yusuf Ahmad, who is also the adviser to The Association For The Improve-ment of Mass Transit (Transit Klang Valley), said he found the walkway from Dang Wangi to the Bukit Nanas monorail station along Jalan Ampang to be dark and made him feel uneasy.

“When a friend of mine from the Toronto Transit Commission was here for a conference, I took him on a tour of the monorail and LRT systems, and we had to use this walkway.

“I could feel that my friend was not very comfortable walking in the dark,” Moaz said.

Danger lurks: The overhead bridge at Jalan Sarawak is in darkness and without a flash, one would not be able to see it in this photograph,

However, a visit to the site showed that it is now well-lit, indicating that action had been taken following public complaints.

A bridge in Taman Midah Cheras was also dimly lit but conditions have improved. Cheras MP Tan Kok Wai’s political secretary Loh Chee Heng said more lights had been installed and the police were also making regular checks on the spot.

However, one of the locations known to be dark and eerie is the underpass located near the Bulatan Sg Besi.

The photographer who was there to capture photos, also found the tunnel spooky to walk down and said it was lonely, especially after 9pm.

“It is dark and actually quite scary even for a man to walk alone,” he said.

“For the half-an-hour I was there, I only observed one or two persons using the underpass. What is the point of building it when no one is really using it?” he asked.

According to Loh, Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) could sometimes be a bit slow in taking action on a reported problem. He added that whenever requests were made for additional lights, excuses ranging from vandalism to the lack of electricity supply were given.

“City Hall sometimes pushes the problem to the private sector, saying that the company sponsoring a bridge is responsible for its maintenance,” he added,

[img]tp://thestar.com.my/archives/2009/9/17/central/m_02walkway3.jpg[/img]
In the distance: The lights at the Pudu LRT station seem to disappear just after the convenience store.

According to him, an underpass connecting Section 2 Wangsa Maju to a school in Section 4 had been in a deplorable state for years.

“There are food leftovers and urine stains in the tunnel and people are scared to use it.

“However, the schoolchildren are forced to do so,” he said.

Meanwhile, Bukit Bintang MP Fong Kui Lun’s secretary Lee Bing Hong said there were a few problem bridges and tunnels in the constituency.

One of the locations he pointed out was the elevated walkway at Jalan Sarawak, connecting the Pudu residential houses to the Kenanga flats and business centre.

“We’ve received a lot of complaints from users who claim that unruly youths hang around there. They claim these youths would rob passers-by if there were not many people around,” he said.

He added that drug addicts could sometimes be seen napping on the walkway and, when there was no lighting, it was hard for the users to see if there was anyone lurking on the bridge.

“We were told that the bridge was maintained by RapidKL and the company repaired the lighting when we complained.

“However, the lights were soon vandalised by unscrupulous individuals,” Lee said.

Shrouded in darkness: The entrance to the Bulatan Sg Besi (on the left) is grim and uninviting.

During StarMetro’s visit, we noticed that even the pathway leading to the bridge on the Pudu side was unlit and lined by overgrown grass.

A nearby resident even advised us not to use the bridge, saying that it was dangerous and that there had been several robberies at the spot.

Moaz said that a well-designed walkway or bus shelter should be well-lit, with a high ceiling to give a sense of openness and airiness.

“There should be no hidden corners, uneven blocks or loose wiring.

“Sightlines should be clear and not blocked by advertising, greenery or parked vehicles,” he said.

He felt that while the new bus shelters in the Klang Valley were an improvement, the focus seemed to be on opportunities for advertising space.

“Not all bridges need to be covered or air-conditioned but they need to be designed according to universal design principles and be short and direct,” he said (please refer to graphic).

Earlier this year, former FT Minister Datuk Seri Zulhasnan Rafique had announced a RM100mil allocation from the Federal Government to build sky bridges and covered walkways between buildings in the Golden Triangle area.

He was reported as saying that spending money to benefit the people and enhance the image of KL as a world class city was a good way of stimulating the economy.

While Zulhasnan’s idea may have been well-intended, pedestrians are wondering whether any attention will be paid to the existing bridges and underpasses that have long been neglected, poorly-maintained and crime-ridden.

Pedestrian-friendly environment
• Personal security is an issue and pedestrians are drawn to areas that provide a sense of security and comfort.

• Pathways should be short, direct and well-lit. They will have to serve regular transit users making trips after dark.

• If pedestrian routes to bus stops are long, short sections of highquality, well-lit pedestrian pathways should be used to reduce the walking distance.

Extracted from the Calgary Transit Friendly Design Guide, a follow-up document to the Calgary Transportation Plan, May 1995.
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #78
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Bazaar on Ayer Keroh flyover draws highway users

MALACCA: The Agro Bazaar, located on a flyover at the North-South Highway rest area in Ayer Keroh, has been drawing local and foreign travellers.

This first facility of its kind was started up by the Federal Agriculture Marketing Authority (Fama) in 1999 and now offers products from 31 small and medium enterprises (SMEs), all of which are from Malacca except for two from Negri Sembilan and Selangor.

One can find products that are indigenous to the states such as melinja crackers, prawn paste and cencaluk as well as popular snacks like banana and soyabean chips, and Fama brands such as OleMas dan AgroMas.

POPULAR: The Agro Bazaar in Ayer Keroh located on the flyover at the North-South Highway rest area.

A Fama product that is gaining fans is KopieSatu, manufactured at the agency’s coffee mill in Banting, Selangor. It has been in the market since 2005.

Agro Bazaar supervisor Nasir Kassim said that highway users who ventured into the bazaar returned time and again to buy more items.

He said this was because the products were fresh, of high quality, attractively packaged and reasonably priced.

State Fama director Mohd Nawi Othman said the products adhered to stipulations in the Food Act 1983.

He said the agency established the bazaar as a facility to promote products of SMEs from all over Malaysia.

He disclosed that Agro Bazaar had a turnover of RM1.3mil last year, against RM1.2mil the year before, adding that it aimed to achieve RM2mil this year.

Mohd Nawi said that since space in Agro Bazaar over the highway’s south-bound side was fully taken up, Fama planned to open an outlet in the north-bound section of the Ayer Keroh flyover.

He said that Fama would also provide guidance to SME traders.

“We will assist them in promoting products not only at Agro Bazaar but also at hypermarkets nationwide,” he added.

Nasir said, to expand the selection in Agro Bazaar, Fama was working with its Sarawak and Sabah units to get a supply of products from the two states.

“We plan to invite entrepreneurs from Sabah and Sarawak to promote their food like kuih cincin, kuih lidah, kerepek pisang ranggu, tabaloi and salted terubok fish here,” he added.

Agro Bazaar is open from 8am to 11pm daily. During festive seasons, it operates round the clock. — Bernama
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #79
nazrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizalhakim View Post

POPULAR: The Agro Bazaar in Ayer Keroh located on the flyover at the North-South Highway rest area.
Overhead Bridge Restaurants
http://www.plus.com.my/hf_obr.asp

@ Sg. Buloh

The Overhead Bridge Restaurants are one stop rest areas that provide a
variety of facilities for users. Straddling the Expressway, this one stop
convenient centre is the first of its kind in the country, enabling users to
enjoy the facilities offered at each bound of the highway. OBRs also give the
users a chance to enjoy their meals at one of the air-conditioned
restaurants as they observe the traffic below.

Located at two major sites: Sg. Buloh and Ayer Keroh, these OBRS namely
the Sungai Buloh OBR and the Ayer Keroh OBR are the preferred rest stop
areas for many users of the NSE. The number of travellers has increased
dramatically over the years due to the excellent facilities and variety of
restaurants and eateries provided there.

Old October 19th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #80
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

image hosted on flickr