daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > West > Ahmedabad

Ahmedabad Project news from the Ahmedabad Metropolitan Region - Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT)



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः
 
Jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Posts: 3,838
Likes (Received): 60

GUJARAT INT'l FINANCE TEC-CITY (GIFT) | Nāga (Snake) Towers | 230m | 54 fl x 2 | App

Nāga (Snake) Towers -- Block Package O -- Gujarat International Finance Tec-City, Gandhinagar, India




Described as the "Guardians of the City", the 54-story Nāga Towers, designed as a modern Indian architectural interpretation the cherished Indian cultural symbol of the Nāga (snake) and is is just one of the many towers coming up in India's largest greenfield megaproject, the Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT).

As fitting a tower designed to push the boundaries of futurist Indian architecture, great care and thought has been put into the symbolism and design of these commercial towers as in India's traditional architecture.

It will be among the tallest and most striking towers in GIFT's 80+ skyscraper skyline.

------==--=--==-------

First, some background on the GIFT project:

Located at Gandhinagar, the capital city of the über-industrial Indian state of Gujarat, and nearby the state's commercial capital of Ahmedabad, the Gujarat International Finance Tec-City will be one of the world's largest and most modern financial hubs.

From its already lofty original development goals, GIFT has since grown manifold to literally an entire city's central business district that will be larger than Paris's La Defense, Tokyo's Shinjuku, London's Dockyards and Shanghai's Pudong financial districts. It will house over a million people with millions more commuting there daily.

Well placed between the political and commercial capitals of Gujarat, GIFT is a public-private partnership basically designed to kick Mumbai in the FDI balls and establish itself as a world player. It will is India's first major supertall Central Business District project that is designed to be the focal point of both the world's and India's booming financial services market by providing companies with all those things Mumbai is still developing: comprehensive infrastructure, power, verticalized office space, and a well designed, planned and expandable urban form. Its strong proximity and infrastructure connectivity with Mumbai ensures that mutually beneficial development occurs between the two metros.


^ An overhead view of the new GIFT CBD.

The scale of GIFT is singularly massive, unparalleled in the world except a handfull of Dubai megaprojects, none of those which can hold a candle to GIFT's goals of economic sustainability, integration and scalability.

Gujarat International Finance Tec-City will have 312 tall buildings — the tallest being the signature Diamond Tower with 87 floors; another 40 buildings with more than 50 floors and many more with 24 plus floors of height. The entire project is not only fully approved but already completely sold out due to insane demand. Construction will begin later this year.

For more information on GIFT as a whole, please check out the GIFT thread in General Urban Developments forum for a summary of the main developments and the GIFT thread in the SSC India forum for more detailed discussions.

------==--=--==-------


In order to explain the relevance of the Nāga Towers' design, one must first explain the Symbolism attached to the Nāga itself.

The Nāga, or snake, plays an integral part of India's cultural ethos, philosophies, traditions and religions. Reverence of the Nāga as the the anthropomorphic symbol of spiritual truth and energy dates back to the dawn of civilization in India and has spread throughout Asia with the spread of Hindu and Buddhist symbols.



The symbolism attached to the Nāga is extensive. The coiled body of the serpent rising represents the symbolic rising of the Kundalini, or spiritual energy, and the many heads represent a manifold seemingly disparate perceptions of reality actually unified in form, and the the hooded head represents the mastery emotion and materialism.

In Indian architecture, as well as in the Hindu and Buddhist architecture of southeast Asia, its influence of the Nāga on art and architecture can be seen back from its Harappan-Saraswati cities and to the present day. It is this powerful symbol of the Nāga that has been re-interpreted in commercial-use Nāga Towers.


^ Nāga Towers from above

Noting the tremendous "recall value [of the Nāga] as a part of popular culture" and Indian architecture, the designers of GIFT decided that a modern interpretation on this ancient symbol would befit such a far-reaching project.

The snakelike design is evident even from a cursory look at the building. According to ECADI architects, "the springing and leaping action of the snake is reflected in the form of the buildings in a symbolic indication of awareness and vitality." The inspiration doesn't end there, as the Nāga "concept of duality and contradiction is represented in the double motif that eventually join to make one building."

In Indian and Southeast Asian architecture, the statue of the Nāga is placed flanking the entryways of the city, the temple and the sanctum sanctorum of the temple, symbolically guarding the approach to a higher spiritual truth. Taking a cue from this, the Nāga Towers are directly situated on the Dream River waterfront, the dominating the main water approaches to the CBD.


^ The GIFT skyline, with Nāga Towers on the far left.

The towers will be commercial in use and rise to a maximum height of 230 meters and 54 stories tall. Its total above-ground and below-ground areas are 4,704,000 and 1,927,500 sq ft respectively and will be developed as Block Package O in the master plan.

The tower has been completely approved by all governing and oversight bodies and will be constructed in the first phase of the project. Construction is expected to begin later this year, but may be put on hold if more redesigns/upscaling of the project is in the offing.



Thanks to the Indian Skyscraper Blog and the many SSC India members for help with the writeup and all the research!

Cheers,
Jai
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #2
india
aham brahmasmi
 
india's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 838
Likes (Received): 32

Your presentation skills are, as usual, impressive as ever. Great project! Thanks for the intiative, Jai (Ho!).
india no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Hindustani
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,096
Likes (Received): 154

Jai

thanks bro. thats a very informative breakdown. great explanatory & investigative work. the scale of this is unlike any we've seen so far in India. this is majestic, futuristic & fantastic.

HOWEVER

I dont believe this GIFT will ever be built because it requires multi-BILLION dollars investment that the likes of Dubai is seeing. India neither have the petro dollars nor the gold dollars pouring in. this means no state-of-the-art infrastructure like Dubai is building hence no infra support it. Gujarat should've just announced a 60-80 flrs twins or a single 100-fls tower that Tata, Reliance or Birla can afford to finance if its close to Billion dollar tag. This is way out of their league. with world economy in crisis, I dont think even Emaar will think of touching this.

Forget it, It wont be built.

BESIDES

The Naga tower is physically faulty. Take a close look at CCTV Tower in Beijing. Both towers lean into the top floors that has no support & thus gives it proper base support physically. These Naga towers are leaning not just away from each other but leaning back too. That makes them inclined at worse angle possible hence technically faulty & dangerous to build 7-flrs on top with horrible support. This area of Gujarat is known as Earthquake zone too. Collapse is highly likely at even 6.0 rectas scale.

Last edited by Hindustani; April 7th, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #4
ankushgupta
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 354
Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
Jai

thanks bro. thats a very informative breakdown. great explanatory & investigative work. the scale of this is unlike any we've seen so far in India. this is majestic, futuristic & fantastic.

HOWEVER

I dont believe this GIFT will ever be built because it requires multi-BILLION dollars investment that the likes of Dubai is seeing. India neither have the petro dollars nor the gold dollars pouring in. this means no state-of-the-art infrastructure like Dubai is building hence no infra support it. Gujarat should've just announced a 60-80 flrs twins or a single 100-fls tower that Tata, Reliance or Birla can afford to finance if its close to Billion dollar tag. This is way out of their league. with world economy in crisis, I dont think even Emaar will think of touching this.

Forget it, It wont be built.

BESIDES

The Naga tower is physically faulty. Take a close look at CCTV Tower in Beijing. Both towers lean into the top floors that has no support & thus gives it proper base support physically. These Naga towers are leaning not just away from each other but leaning back too. That makes them inclined at worse angle possible hence technically faulty & dangerous to build 7-flrs on top with horrible support. This area of Gujarat is known as Earthquake zone too. Collapse is highly likely at even 6.0 rectas scale.
The City will get built, Inshallah...
BTW Thanks for your inputs now you can go to jahannum.

Last edited by ankushgupta; April 8th, 2009 at 01:31 AM.
ankushgupta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:25 AM   #5
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः
 
Jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Posts: 3,838
Likes (Received): 60

Thanks guys,

HS -- I'll just repost my reply from the GIFT thread


-----==--=--==-----

HS, The real question isn't if this project will get built, but how long. Save all the other factors (government-private initiative that dwarfs any other such project, political greenlighting to the highest level that is further leveraged as a reelection platform, investment already spent in design and consultancy, the interest and bookings it has already generated, acute shortage of finance-related office space and related telecommunications and power infrastructure, etc., etc.) India's economic inertia alone will sustain construction on this scale. India doesn't need gold or petrodollars to sustain growth, only to leverage its own organic economic development. Indeed, infrastructure projects like this are to be the catalyst to further economic development, rather than a byproduct of, as in the Dubai scenario.

Regarding building one tower as a sort of feasibility touchstone, the project designers themselves had stated specifically that the Diamond Tower will be the first tower to be built in the project, and hence in terms of a milestone and demonstrator, it would be similarly viewed as construction of any one tower would be. Besides, while there's a lot of institutional inertia that has to be overcome for this project to materialize, this project, by its backing, backers, size and vision alone put it far beyond any unilaterally proclaimed Reliance township or half-assed ambiguously proposed 'signature tower' that any Indian metro may or may not be putting up. The money to be invested in this is BIG -- bigger than any one company or financier can put up, with potential ROI that outclass any other project in India.


As for the design of the tower, I am no structural engineer nor architect, but I would defer to the architects' and designers' expertise. This project is a major investment in design, not a drive through at a MacDonalds, and the design, while novel, is not revolutionary, and the materials needed for such a building are available today. Due care would have to be taken as Gujarat is a seismically active zone, but according to the facts put out by GIFT, this has already been taken into account.

As we are not privy to the blueprints of the buildings, have not taken the time to study the structural efficacy in any detail, nor are any of us qualified to make such determinations -- these things simply cannot be determined from two renderings, no matter how hard we stare at the screen -- I'm guessing that because of the caliber of the architects involved, and the sheer volume of capital that went into its design, the building is very much feasible indeed. And that is an understatement.


In short, being cautious is great, because we're talking a scale of development that is nearly unprecedented in the world, and instability in global markets and the world financial crisis throws off the timetable of EVERY building or infra project in the world, but I think being cautiously optimistic is a very reasonable position.

Remember, this financial crisis makes it very hard for large amounts of investment and capital outlay to be thrown around, but it is a temporary state. Meanwhile, India's economy continues to boom and the demand for such infrastructure and services will only continue to exponentially grow -- and with it, the exponential rise in probability of project completion.

So don't worry, have curry
-Jai

-----==--=--==-----

Last edited by Jai; April 8th, 2009 at 08:49 AM.
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #6
dvk1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 35
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
Thanks guys,

HS -- I'll just repost my reply from the GIFT thread


-----==--=--==-----

HS, The real question isn't if this project will get built, but how long. Save all the other factors (government-private initiative that dwarfs any other such project, political greenlighting to the highest level that is further leveraged as a reelection platform, investment already spent in design and consultancy, the interest and bookings it has already generated, acute shortage of finance-related office space and related telecommunications and power infrastructure, etc., etc.) India's economic inertia alone will sustain construction on this scale. India doesn't need gold or petrodollars to sustain growth, only to leverage its own organic economic development. Indeed, infrastructure projects like this are to be the catalyst to further economic development, rather than a byproduct of, as in the Dubai scenario.

Regarding building one tower as a sort of feasibility touchstone, the project designers themselves had stated specifically that the Diamond Tower will be the first tower to be built in the project, and hence in terms of a milestone and demonstrator, it would be similarly viewed as construction of any one tower would be. Besides, while there's a lot of institutional inertia that has to be overcome for this project to materialize, this project, by its backing, backers, size and vision alone put it far beyond any unilaterally proclaimed Reliance township or half-assed ambiguously proposed 'signature tower' that any Indian metro may or may not be putting up. The money to be invested in this is BIG -- bigger than any one company or financier can put up, with potential ROI that outclass any other project in India.


As for the design of the tower, I am no structural engineer nor architect, but I would defer to the architects' and designers' expertise. This project is a major investment in design, not a drive through at a MacDonalds, and the design, while novel, is not revolutionary, and the materials needed for such a building are available today. Due care would have to be taken as Gujarat is a seismically active zone, but according to the facts put out by GIFT, this has already been taken into account.

As we are not privy to the blueprints of the buildings, have not taken the time to study the structural efficacy in any detail, nor are any of us qualified to make such determinations -- these things simply cannot be determined from two renderings, no matter how hard we stare at the screen -- I'm guessing that because of the caliber of the architects involved, and the sheer volume of capital that went into its design, the building is very much feasible indeed. And that is an understatement.


In short, being cautious is great, because we're talking a scale of development that is nearly unprecedented in the world, and instability in global markets and the world financial crisis throws off the timetable of EVERY building or infra project in the world, but I think being cautiously optimistic is a very reasonable position. The



-----==--=--==-----
Very well said. We need to be cautious in showing our exuberance. But outright pessimism is uncalled. Even if the ground works start, there wud be a great confidence in realizing this project.
dvk1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #7
GJ10
Registered User
 
GJ10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,510
Likes (Received): 581

The only pessimism is coming from SSCs resident Anti-Gujarat member anyway...
GJ10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #8
Hindustani
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,096
Likes (Received): 154

Jai

thanks dude. Valid points no doubt. We'll wait & see till it gets u/c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
Thanks guys,

HS -- I'll just repost my reply from the GIFT thread


-----==--=--==-----

HS, The real question isn't if this project will get built, but how long. Save all the other factors (government-private initiative that dwarfs any other such project, political greenlighting to the highest level that is further leveraged as a reelection platform, investment already spent in design and consultancy, the interest and bookings it has already generated, acute shortage of finance-related office space and related telecommunications and power infrastructure, etc., etc.) India's economic inertia alone will sustain construction on this scale. India doesn't need gold or petrodollars to sustain growth, only to leverage its own organic economic development. Indeed, infrastructure projects like this are to be the catalyst to further economic development, rather than a byproduct of, as in the Dubai scenario.

Regarding building one tower as a sort of feasibility touchstone, the project designers themselves had stated specifically that the Diamond Tower will be the first tower to be built in the project, and hence in terms of a milestone and demonstrator, it would be similarly viewed as construction of any one tower would be. Besides, while there's a lot of institutional inertia that has to be overcome for this project to materialize, this project, by its backing, backers, size and vision alone put it far beyond any unilaterally proclaimed Reliance township or half-assed ambiguously proposed 'signature tower' that any Indian metro may or may not be putting up. The money to be invested in this is BIG -- bigger than any one company or financier can put up, with potential ROI that outclass any other project in India.


As for the design of the tower, I am no structural engineer nor architect, but I would defer to the architects' and designers' expertise. This project is a major investment in design, not a drive through at a MacDonalds, and the design, while novel, is not revolutionary, and the materials needed for such a building are available today. Due care would have to be taken as Gujarat is a seismically active zone, but according to the facts put out by GIFT, this has already been taken into account.

As we are not privy to the blueprints of the buildings, have not taken the time to study the structural efficacy in any detail, nor are any of us qualified to make such determinations -- these things simply cannot be determined from two renderings, no matter how hard we stare at the screen -- I'm guessing that because of the caliber of the architects involved, and the sheer volume of capital that went into its design, the building is very much feasible indeed. And that is an understatement.


In short, being cautious is great, because we're talking a scale of development that is nearly unprecedented in the world, and instability in global markets and the world financial crisis throws off the timetable of EVERY building or infra project in the world, but I think being cautiously optimistic is a very reasonable position.

Remember, this financial crisis makes it very hard for large amounts of investment and capital outlay to be thrown around, but it is a temporary state. Meanwhile, India's economy continues to boom and the demand for such infrastructure and services will only continue to exponentially grow -- and with it, the exponential rise in probability of project completion.

So don't worry, have curry
-Jai

-----==--=--==-----
Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #9
India101
.
 
India101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10,220
Likes (Received): 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post

^ The GIFT skyline, with Nāga Towers on the far left.
Never seen this pic before. Night skyline looks awesome.

Also they weren't lieing when they said pencil thin about the Diamond Tower.
India101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #10
saban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Likes (Received): 0

after see that i have to say only one word, excellent
really this city for the next generation, gujarat gonna be a top of the country,
no word to explain now, great progress.
saban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #11
yashchauhan
BANNED
 
yashchauhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 860
Likes (Received): 4

Till now only delhi and mumbai have shown the capability to implement or plan such large scale and futuristic projects.
Best of luck buddy.
yashchauhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #12
tekblink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 82
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
Nāga (Snake) Towers -- Block Package O -- Gujarat International Finance Tec-City, Gandhinagar, India




Described as the "Guardians of the City", the 54-story Nāga Towers, designed as a modern Indian architectural interpretation the cherished Indian cultural symbol of the Nāga (snake) and is is just one of the many towers coming up in India's largest greenfield megaproject, the Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT).

As fitting a tower designed to push the boundaries of futurist Indian architecture, great care and thought has been put into the symbolism and design of these commercial towers as in India's traditional architecture.

It will be among the tallest and most striking towers in GIFT's 80+ skyscraper skyline.

------==--=--==-------

First, some background on the GIFT project:

Located at Gandhinagar, the capital city of the über-industrial Indian state of Gujarat, and nearby the state's commercial capital of Ahmedabad, the Gujarat International Finance Tec-City will be one of the world's largest and most modern financial hubs.

From its already lofty original development goals, GIFT has since grown manifold to literally an entire city's central business district that will be larger than Paris's La Defense, Tokyo's Shinjuku, London's Dockyards and Shanghai's Pudong financial districts. It will house over a million people with millions more commuting there daily.

Well placed between the political and commercial capitals of Gujarat, GIFT is a public-private partnership basically designed to kick Mumbai in the FDI balls and establish itself as a world player. It will is India's first major supertall Central Business District project that is designed to be the focal point of both the world's and India's booming financial services market by providing companies with all those things Mumbai is still developing: comprehensive infrastructure, power, verticalized office space, and a well designed, planned and expandable urban form. Its strong proximity and infrastructure connectivity with Mumbai ensures that mutually beneficial development occurs between the two metros.


^ An overhead view of the new GIFT CBD.

The scale of GIFT is singularly massive, unparalleled in the world except a handfull of Dubai megaprojects, none of those which can hold a candle to GIFT's goals of economic sustainability, integration and scalability.

Gujarat International Finance Tec-City will have 312 tall buildings — the tallest being the signature Diamond Tower with 87 floors; another 40 buildings with more than 50 floors and many more with 24 plus floors of height. The entire project is not only fully approved but already completely sold out due to insane demand. Construction will begin later this year.

For more information on GIFT as a whole, please check out the GIFT thread in General Urban Developments forum for a summary of the main developments and the GIFT thread in the SSC India forum for more detailed discussions.

------==--=--==-------


In order to explain the relevance of the Nāga Towers' design, one must first explain the Symbolism attached to the Nāga itself.

The Nāga, or snake, plays an integral part of India's cultural ethos, philosophies, traditions and religions. Reverence of the Nāga as the the anthropomorphic symbol of spiritual truth and energy dates back to the dawn of civilization in India and has spread throughout Asia with the spread of Hindu and Buddhist symbols.



The symbolism attached to the Nāga is extensive. The coiled body of the serpent rising represents the symbolic rising of the Kundalini, or spiritual energy, and the many heads represent a manifold seemingly disparate perceptions of reality actually unified in form, and the the hooded head represents the mastery emotion and materialism.

In Indian architecture, as well as in the Hindu and Buddhist architecture of southeast Asia, its influence of the Nāga on art and architecture can be seen back from its Harappan-Saraswati cities and to the present day. It is this powerful symbol of the Nāga that has been re-interpreted in commercial-use Nāga Towers.


^ Nāga Towers from above

Noting the tremendous "recall value [of the Nāga] as a part of popular culture" and Indian architecture, the designers of GIFT decided that a modern interpretation on this ancient symbol would befit such a far-reaching project.

The snakelike design is evident even from a cursory look at the building. According to ECADI architects, "the springing and leaping action of the snake is reflected in the form of the buildings in a symbolic indication of awareness and vitality." The inspiration doesn't end there, as the Nāga "concept of duality and contradiction is represented in the double motif that eventually join to make one building."

In Indian and Southeast Asian architecture, the statue of the Nāga is placed flanking the entryways of the city, the temple and the sanctum sanctorum of the temple, symbolically guarding the approach to a higher spiritual truth. Taking a cue from this, the Nāga Towers are directly situated on the Dream River waterfront, the dominating the main water approaches to the CBD.


^ The GIFT skyline, with Nāga Towers on the far left.

The towers will be commercial in use and rise to a maximum height of 230 meters and 54 stories tall. Its total above-ground and below-ground areas are 4,704,000 and 1,927,500 sq ft respectively and will be developed as Block Package O in the master plan.

The tower has been completely approved by all governing and oversight bodies and will be constructed in the first phase of the project. Construction is expected to begin later this year, but may be put on hold if more redesigns/upscaling of the project is in the offing.



Thanks to the Indian Skyscraper Blog and the many SSC India members for help with the writeup and all the research!

Cheers,
Jai
Your presentation skills are as usual mind blowing.
__________________
Tekblink is a leading IT Company Surat and Software Company Surat. We are also a Website Design and development company Surat and PHP Company Surat which also does Android and Iphone Development Surat. We are also a training company which provides Live Project Training Surat, BCA Project Training Surat, and Project Training Surat. We are also one of the leading SEO Company Surat.
tekblink no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu