SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Prague - slightly off the beaten track

40K views 199 replies 37 participants last post by  Marbur66 
#1 ·
Lets visit Josefov, the former Jewish quarter of Prague. Instead of following the hordes of tourists we walk through the rest of the quarter, which offers some impressive examples of Secession (Art Nouveau) and Historism, but also illustrates the national renaissance of the Czechs.

We start near the Municipal house:

Now the Municipal house:

Neighbouring house:

Continuing towards Josefov, as you see on the right side not everything is beautiful:

Close to St. Jakob, directly behind Teyn court:

Inside of St. Jakob, the second longest church in Prague. Built by Czechs, Germans and Italians:

In many parts of the old town you don't see a single tourist. Stupid mass tourism:

Please excuse my slightly Germano-centric perspective, but for me it's quite moving to see that some of these German signs survived the cleansing of the 1920's:

Entry to Teyn court, called Ungelt, which is German, means means something like un-money and was the place where the toll was collected:

Inside Teyn court:

Palais Granovsky:

St. Niklas from afar, usually flooded by tourists:

That's why we prefer side streets:

A modern airplane... at that time:

Spanish Synagogue:

St. Simon, sadly closed:

The most impressive Historism avenue (Old New Synagogue to the right):

Ceremonial house at the Jewish cemetery. When I visited Prague for the first time in the early 90's there wasn't a single tourist and I had the cemetery for myself! But now...:

Interesting building, dedicated to the most important master builders of Prague during the M.A.:

And a bit of pristine Prague:

Done

See less See more
#63 ·
Great pics and good knowledge of Prague as always.

Though two little corrections:
The New Town City Hall on Charles Square. The huuuuge Charles square was built by Charles IV., Bohemian king and German emperor.
Charles IV. wasn't German emperor but Holy Roman Emperor.

I'm not sure, but I think that's the former building of the parliament. Today seat of Radio Free Europe
It used to be Czechoslovak federal parliament and grain stock market during the First republic. Radio Free Europe is at the new building in the broader city centre now, this building now belongs to the National museum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.