daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Korean Forum 한국 공개토론

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #121
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Likes (Received): 4608

Wangsimni Station, recently reconstructed. which is in Seongdong-gu.
(Wang-sip-ri 왕십리 --> Wangsimni)

(...)

(6pics by 동시신호 @ cafe.daum_skyscrapers)
Mussoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 10th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #122
gabjp
lolwut

Likes (Received): 0

AMAZING! i could live on that station! there's an IMAX in it *_*
gabjp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #123
dhim100

Likes (Received): 0

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by dhim100; May 13th, 2009 at 12:05 AM.
dhim100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #124
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 180

the moon!!! looks massive.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:25 AM   #125
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Likes (Received): 4608

Last edited by Mussoda; April 5th, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
Mussoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #126
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 233

new cbd Kangnam District or midtown Seoul (since it has the most skyscrapers in Seoul)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #127
dhuwman
BANGED

Likes (Received): 2

Great photos!
"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on."

-Noam Chomsky-
dhuwman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM   #128
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 180

There are green parts of Seoul but they're mostly trees, but are there any grass parks in the city. I don't remember once playing football in Korea on a grass, only sand...

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM   #129
brianmoon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
There are green parts of Seoul but they're mostly trees, but are there any grass parks in the city. I don't remember once playing football in Korea on a grass, only sand...
I think I heard from one of my friends that it's really hard to grow grass in Korea since most part of the country is mountainous (70%). That's why even the schools have large soccer fields but the grounds are sand unfortunately
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:14 PM   #130
architec101
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmoon85 View Post
I think I heard from one of my friends that it's really hard to grow grass in Korea since most part of the country is mountainous (70%). That's why even the schools have large soccer fields but the grounds are sand unfortunately
Such a lame excuse not to have more grass land in Korea. I am talking about the kind of grass that stays green all year long.
If you say, too many people distroy the grass, I might agree with you but 70% of Korea is mountainous is not. I do think that Koreans care less about a neat and greener living. It is all greyish in every city. So depressing and stressful.
architec101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:48 PM   #131
brianmoon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by architec101 View Post
Such a lame excuse not to have more grass land in Korea. I am talking about the kind of grass that stays green all year long.
If you say, too many people distroy the grass, I might agree with you but 70% of Korea is mountainous is not. I do think that Koreans care less about a neat and greener living. It is all greyish in every city. So depressing and stressful.
I know it's a lame excuse but you have to consider the yellow dust
that affects Korea big time during the Spring and the monsoons during
the summer that bring heavy rain. But you have to admit that Seoul
is in fact greening a lot more than it used to. Look at the number of parks
in Seoul that are growing and the government is now even considering
using the banks of Han River into green areas with parks and attractions.
I'm sure Seoul's smog level has decreased big time over the last few years
especially with Cheonggyecheon as well. Another thing might be because
Seoul is located in a valley surrounded by mountains so it's a perfect trap
for smog...just like Mexico City
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:07 PM   #132
architec101
BANNED

Quote:
I know it's a lame excuse but you have to consider the yellow dust
that affects Korea big time during the Spring and the monsoons during
the summer that bring heavy rain. But you have to admit that Seoul
is in fact greening a lot more than it used to. Look at the number of parks
in Seoul that are growing and the government is now even considering
using the banks of Han River into green areas with parks and attractions.
I'm sure Seoul's smog level has decreased big time over the last few years
especially with Cheonggyecheon as well. Another thing might be because
Seoul is located in a valley surrounded by mountains so it's a perfect trap
for smog...just like Mexico City
In many ways, Seoul is much like London except the sand storm but the sand storm is not an excuse for S Korea's neglect on expanding grass land. I am living in Kentucky. Here everywhere you go there is no bare land. I had to keep asking why Koreans can't live like this. For reducing stress level of city living and expanding parks, every corner of Seoul and other places of Korea must be covered with ever green grasses and maintain them. Of course this excludes the farm lands. I hope you can be an advocate of covering Korea with more grass. SK may have some unique climate issues but they are nothing they cannot overcome. When SK does this, more foreign tourists will come to SK. I hope they will listen.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:22 AM   #133
brianmoon85

Quote:
In many ways, Seoul is much like London except the sand storm but the sand storm is not an excuse for S Korea's neglect on expanding grass land. I am living in Kentucky. Here everywhere you go there is no bare land. I had to keep asking why Koreans can't live like this. For reducing stress level of city living and expanding parks, every corner of Seoul and other places of Korea must be covered with ever green grasses and maintain them. Of course this excludes the farm lands. I hope you can be an advocate of covering Korea with more grass. SK may have some unique climate issues but they are nothing they cannot overcome. When SK does this, more foreign tourists will come to SK. I hope they will listen.
I think you need to know more about South Korea's history first of all. We had to overcome attacks from Japan and the Korean war which almost destroyed the entire country. After the war, many Koreans moved to Seoul for jobs and stuff and at that time, the president focused on public housing (commieblocks that you see) and on developing the country rather than on its aesthetics (parks, trees, grassland, etc) Nowadays, the city government is much more strict on building designs and planning on many parks to increase Seoul's value and increase the happiness factor for Seoul Citizens

You also need to realize that South Korea is a small country not like the USA where land is plenty and resources are plenty as well.
The population, yes More than 10 million people live and 25 million live in the nearby satellite towns whereas the entire population of Kentucky is only 4 million with Louiville metro area (Kentucky's largest city) has only 1.2 million people...which cannot compare to 20 million. Seoul city even beats NYC for populatin density (trust me I live in Midtown New York on 40th street)

For Korea not having that much green grasslands and such, I think you have never been to Seoul or just was near business districts or
just read books from your local Barnes and Noble. Seriously those Lonely Planet books suck big time and are very out-dated so please
don't judge by what you see in those books as they are probably pictures of Korea back in the 90s. You need to check out Seoul Haneul (Sky) Park (lots of greenery), Yeoido Park, Seoul Citizens' Park, Seoul Forest, and many mountains that surround Seoul that helps the greening of Seoul. Compared to other major cities in the world like Tokyo or New York City (the only real park or greenery I think is Central Park) I am fully aware Seoul has lot more trees and parks.

You also need to realize the fact that Seoul is a world-class global city, not a small town like Louisville.
That's like asking New York why their subways are so dirty when it's considered one of the greatest cities
in the world or asking why Louisville doesn't have a subway system.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:55 AM   #134
architec101
BANNED

Quote:
I think you need to know more about South Korea's history first of all. We had to overcome attacks from Japan and the Korean war which almost destroyed the entire country. After the war, many Koreans moved to Seoul for jobs and stuff and at that time, the president focused on public housing (commieblocks that you see) and on developing the country rather than on its aesthetics (parks, trees, grassland, etc) Nowadays, the city government is much more strict on building designs and planning on many parks to increase Seoul's value and increase the happiness factor for Seoul Citizens

You also need to realize that South Korea is a small country not like the USA where land is plenty and resources are plenty as well.
The population, yes More than 10 million people live and 25 million live in the nearby satellite towns whereas the entire population of Kentucky is only 4 million with Louiville metro area (Kentucky's largest city) has only 1.2 million people...which cannot compare to 20 million. Seoul city even beats NYC for populatin density (trust me I live in Midtown New York on 40th street)

For Korea not having that much green grasslands and such, I think you have never been to Seoul or just was near business districts or
just read books from your local Barnes and Noble. Seriously those Lonely Planet books suck big time and are very out-dated so please
don't judge by what you see in those books as they are probably pictures of Korea back in the 90s. You need to check out Seoul Haneul (Sky) Park (lots of greenery), Yeoido Park, Seoul Citizens' Park, Seoul Forest, and many mountains that surround Seoul that helps the greening of Seoul. Compared to other major cities in the world like Tokyo or New York City (the only real park or greenery I think is Central Park) I am fully aware Seoul has lot more trees and parks.

You also need to realize the fact that Seoul is a world-class global city, not a small town like Louisville.
That's like asking New York why their subways are so dirty when it's considered one of the greatest cities
in the world or asking why Louisville doesn't have a subway system.
I think I know why Korea can't have what others often take for granted and it is not what you have said here but how many Koreans like yourself perceive things around themselves. I want to hear "Yes, we can".

I have come to believe Koreans lack passion and desire to stylize their living.
For instance, too many commie block apartments. I know it is a game of fast-build-and-sell, but how can their birdcage livings enhance their city living? It seems to me, Seoullites live like caged animals stressed out and irritable and hopeless.

I know Seoul is a big city. That is why it is more important than ever to make Seoul the most attractive city in the world. I believe expanding ever green grassed land is crucial to Seoul in that regard.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:59 AM   #135
princeofseoul
digging

Likes (Received): 148

Living in a commie block does not feel like living in a cage. They actually feel quite convenient and relieve the stress. The commieblocks are quiet inside, and because they increase the pop. density, there's no need for a car, public transportation is close, stores are within walking distance etc.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:06 AM   #136
architec101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeofseoul View Post
Living in a commie block does not feel like living in a cage. They actually feel quite convenient and relieve the stress. The commieblocks are quiet inside, and because they increase the pop. density, there's no need for a car, public transportation is close, stores are within walking distance etc.
Look, I lived in one of those cells. I could not take it anymore. I became suicidal. Alright?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:15 AM   #137
princeofseoul
digging

^ What didn't you like? The apartment blocks in Korea feel great. All those that I have seen offered a good to excellent standard of living. They are typically 90m2 to 170m2 in size, have windows at the front and back, the heating system is the heated floor by default, all the walls are made in concrete. I'll move into a new one soon and I'm excited about it.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:39 AM   #138
architec101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeofseoul View Post
^ What didn't you like? The apartment blocks in Korea feel great. All those that I have seen offered a good to excellent standard of living. They are typically 90m2 to 170m2 in size, have windows at the front and back, the heating system is the heated floor by default, all the walls are made in concrete. I'll move into a new one soon and I'm excited about it.
No, they are eye sores and they are detrimental to the overall look of Seoul. Here is my question. If I am to offer my honey our honeymoon destination, would Seoul pop up in my head as one of the most romantic cities in the world? Seoul is big for sure but it lacks a charisma to attract people. Every Korean city must benchmark herself to be such that. For that reason, I highly regard GangNeung the most charismatic city in SK.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:44 AM   #139
princeofseoul
digging

I do not disagree the apartment blocks have poor exterior architecture. It is the main flaw of korean cities. They are functional but somewhat ugly. It's a problem but it's not so important in my opinion. After all, most of the time what you see is street level scenery, like the shops, the girls, the restaurants. And this provides plenty of eye candy .
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM   #140
Nick.Yeah

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
No, they are eye sores and they are detrimental to the overall look of Seoul. Here is my question. If I am to offer my honey our honeymoon destination, would Seoul pop up in my head as one of the most romantic cities in the world? Seoul is big for sure but it lacks a charisma to attract people. Every Korean city must benchmark herself to be such that. For that reason, I highly regard GangNeung the most charismatic city in SK.
I appreciate your opinion, but I don't understand what your intention is by bringing this up here. Would you like us to agree with you, and say "you're right, Seoul is a hideously ugly, stressful and depressing city, let's not bother posting pictures anymore"?
Nick.Yeah está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
korea, seoul