daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013)

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > General Photography

General Photography General discussions on photography and non urban photos


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM   #321
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος
 
Arpels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Guarda/Barreiro
Posts: 53,043
Likes (Received): 117

Capela de São Frutuoso de Montélios - Real - Braga

Quote:
Originally Posted by buho View Post
Sao Fructuoso de Montelios copies the model of martyrial temple of late Roman Empire, a model that Gala Placidia represents perfectly
You should post this church, I told you! jaja
pics made by me are so old that it looks nigth even in the exterior of the chapell

very well see

This chapel, from the 7th century, it presents plant of Greek cross with equal arms and central tower with semispherical dome. Each of these arms presents tripartite eardrums in arch of horse-shoe that they rest in column couples all with decoration of leaves acanthus of Corinthian late type. Externally it shows a classicism in friezes and filets that represent ropes and flowers. The central tower has a cornice of Lombard type with arquillos of horse-shoe and angular others. The construction to his side in later times of S. Salvador's monastery did that it was remaining secret for a long time and seriously upset.

render:



exterior:



interior:







from the blog of OLLOS DE MARZAL!!

Last edited by Arpels; May 21st, 2009 at 07:31 PM.
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:28 AM   #322
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64

Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore (Rome, Italy)

The Basilica of Saint Mary Major (Italian: Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, Latin: Basilica Sanctae Mariae Majoris ad Nives), is an ancient Roman Catholic basilica of Rome. It is one of the four major or four papal basilicas, which, together with St. Lawrence outside the Walls, were formerly referred to as the five "patriarchal basilicas" of Rome, associated with the five ancient patriarchal sees of Christendom (see Pentarchy). The other three papal or major basilicas are St. John Lateran, St. Peter and St. Paul outside the Walls.

image hosted on flickr


The Liberian Basilica (another title for the church) is one of the tituli, presided over by a patron—in this case Pope Liberius—that housed the major congregations of early Christians in Rome. Santa Maria Maggiore is the only Roman basilica that retained the core of its original structure, left intact despite several additional construction projects and damage from the earthquake of 1348. The name of the church reflects two ideas of greatness ("major"), that of a major (or papal) basilica and that of the largest (major) church in Rome dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. After the Avignon papacy formally ended and the Papacy returned to Rome, the Basilica became a temporary Palace of the Popes due to the deteriorated state of the Lateran Palace. The papal residence was later moved to the Palace of the Vatican in what is now Vatican City. The present building dates from the time of Pope Sixtus III (432 - 440) and contains many ancient mosaics from this period. Its form so exactly follows the conventions of an imperial basilica it has at times been taken for one. The Athenian marble columns supporting the nave are even older, and either come from the first basilica, or from another antique Roman building.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimforest/2537416991/

Thirty-six are marble and four granite, pared down, or shortened to make them identical by Ferdinando Fuga, who provided them with identical gilt-bronze capitals. The campanile, tallest in Rome, was constructed in the fourteenth century. The basilica's 16th-century coffered ceiling, to a design by Giuliano da Sangallo, is said to be gilded with Inca gold presented by Ferdinand and Isabella to the Spanish pope Alexander VI (something which factually is erroneous, since the Inca empire was conquered during the reign of Charles V). The medieval bell tower is the highest in Rome, at 240 feet, (about 75 m.). The apse mosaic, the Coronation of the Virgin, is from 1295, signed by the Franciscan friar, Jacopo Torriti. The Basilica also contains frescoes by Giovanni Baglione, in the Cappella Borghese. The 12th-century façade has been masked by a reconstruction, with a screening loggia, that were added by Pope Benedict XIV in 1743, to designs by Ferdinando Fuga that did not damage the mosaics of the façade. The wing of the canonica (sacristy to its left and a matching wing to the right (designed by Flaminio Ponzio) give the basilica's front the aspect of a palace facing Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rstanek/171697273/

List of major works of art in the basilica

- Early Christian mosaic cycle depicting Old Testament events, 5th century
- The Salus Populi Romani, a much venerated early icon of the Virgin and Child.
- Funerary monument of Clement IX (1671) by Carlo Rainaldi with the papal bust is by Domenico Guidi.
- Temporary catafalque for Philip IV of Spain designed in 1665 by Rainaldi
- Funerary monument of Pope Nicholas IV, designed by Domenico Fontana in 1574.
- Bust of Costanzo Patrizi by Algardi.
- Sacristy frescoes by Passignano and Giuseppe Puglia.
- Saint Cajetan holding the Holy Child, by Bernini.
- High altar sculpture by Pietro Bracci, (c. 1750).
- Bust of Pius IX (1880) by Ignazio Jacometti.
- Pauline Chapel frescoes, by Guido Reni.
- Frescoes for the monument of Clement VIII, Lanfranco.
- Cesi Chapel tombs by Guglielmo della Porta.
- Altar, confessio and Presepio (crib) sculptures by Arnolfo di Cambio, about 1290.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/124330160/2762370770/

---

Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:55 AM   #323
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64

San Giovanni Evangelista (Ravenna, Italy)

image hosted on flickr


San Giovanni Evangelista is a church in Ravenna, Italy. It was built in the 420s century by the Roman imperial princess Galla Placidia.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/sacred_...ns/2481604658/

In the Middle Ages the Benedictines annexed to it an important monastery. In the 14th century both the church and the monastery were renovated in the Gothic style: of that intervention the portal is visible today.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehear...ys/2407301311/

In 1747 the church was almost entirely stripped of its mosaics . The only remaining are two fragments of the original 5th century floor with the first recorded christian use of hooked crosses. Bombed during World War II, it was later restored.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehear...ys/2407297491/

---


Last edited by Pincio; May 23rd, 2009 at 10:24 AM.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:14 PM   #324
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64

Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta (Asti, Italy)

image hosted on flickr


Asti is a city and comune of c. 75,000 inhabitants located in the Piedmont region of north-western Italy, about 55 kilometres east of Turin in the plain of the Tanaro River. It is the capital of the province of Asti and it is deemed to be the modern capital of Monferrato.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marco-novelli/1274550467/

the great Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta (built in the 13th century over another Cathedral), one of the biggest in Piedmont, in Romanesque-Gothic style. The monumental belfry is from 1266. the facade is characterized by three portals, each surmounted by a big rose-window.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ubertone/421852126/

The interior, with a nave and two aisles, houses a wide cycle of 18th century frescoes, some altarpieces by Gandolfino d'Asti and precious silver artworks from the 15th-16th centuries. The presbytery has a noteworthy mosaic floor, from the pre-existing church. next to the last pilasters of the nave are two 14th century artworks, the funerary seal of bishop Baldracco Malabaila and the equestrian portrait of Arricino Moneta.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marco-novelli/1274550467/

---

Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM   #325
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος
 
Arpels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Guarda/Barreiro
Posts: 53,043
Likes (Received): 117

image hosted on flickr


awesome, the painting is so perfect that Atlantes looks real.
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:35 PM   #326
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος
 
Arpels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Guarda/Barreiro
Posts: 53,043
Likes (Received): 117

Igreja da Encarnação - Lisboa - Portugal

The Encarnação Church is situated in the heart of Lisboa, in the exquisite historical old quarter of Lisboa, Chiado, right in front of the famous Our Lady of Loureto Church.
Founded in 1708, for its construction part of the medieval defensive wall of the 14th century was demolished. The set of this church and the Loreto Church formed one of the noble entrance doors in Lisboa.

The Temple got quite destroyed with the big earthquake of 1755, and in 1784 got several modifications and restoration works, according to the plan of the renowned Architect Manuel Caetano de Sousa.

The façade of the Temple presents a neo-classical architectonic style combined with a range of Rocaille elements. The façade also houses the interesting Saint Catherine images that were part of the ancient medieval door.

source in the pic (property)








Last edited by Arpels; May 23rd, 2009 at 07:42 PM.
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:21 PM   #327
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος
 
Arpels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Guarda/Barreiro
Posts: 53,043
Likes (Received): 117

Basilica de N. Senhora dos Mártires - Lisboa - Portugal

With quite ancient origins, it is said that this Chapel was built by order of the first Portuguese king, D. Afonso Henriques, in honour to all the crusades deceased during the Lisboa conquest in 1147.
The present building started to be built in 1769 and was concluded in 1786, in a profusely decorated Baroque architectonic style, according to the Architect Reynaldo Manuel dos Santos project.
The greatest highlight of the Basilica is its ceiling with a round vault and paintings of the renowned Pedro Alexandrino dedicated to the king D. Afonso Henriques and the conquest of Lisboa to the Moors. Another highlight is the Church’s organ, considered to be one of the best in the Country, made by Silvério Machado.

source in the pic (property)








Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #328
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64


Amazing ceiling!!!
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #329
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64

Details of mosaics (Santa Maria in Trastevere, Rome)

image hosted on flickr

The facade (13th century)

image hosted on flickr

Apse: upper mosaics (1148)


Apse: lower mosaics (Pietro Cavallini, 1290-91)

---

Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #330
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64

Basilica di San Crisogono (Rome, Italy)

San Crisogono is a Basilica in Trastevere dedicated to the martyr St. Chrysogonus.



The church was one of the tituli, the first parish churches of Rome, known as the Titulus Chrysogoni. It was probably built in the 4th century under Pope Sylvester I (314–335), rebuilt in the 12th century and again by Giovanni Battista Soria, funded by Scipione Borghese, in the early 17th century. The tower dates from the 12th century rebuilding. The interior of the present church is the result of the rebuilding in the 1620's of the 12th century church. The 22 granite columns are ancient. The floor is Cosmatesque, but most of it is hidden by the pews.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cuppini/2448242821/

The confessio in the sanctuary area is from the 8th century. The high altar is from 1127, with a baldachino from 1627 by Gian Lorenzo Bernini. The painting in the middle of the Baroque coffered ceiling is by Gian Francesco Barbieri, and depicts the Glory of Saint Chrysogonus. It may be a copy, in which case the original was taken to London, but it might also be vice versa. On the left side of the nave is the shrine of St Anna Maria Taigi. She was buried here in the habit of a tertiary of the Trinitarians. You can see some of her belongings in the adjacent monastery, where they are kept as relics.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimfore...7612694892485/

Excavation

The undeground of St. Crisogono have the ruins of one of the most ancient tituli born in Trastevere district. Remains from the first church, possible from the reign of Constantine, and earlier Roman houses can be seen in the lower parts, reached by a staircase in the sacristy. A number of basins were found here during the excavations, including one cut into the south wall. As the plan is so untypical of early Roman churches, some believe that the structure originally had a different function, and the presence of the basins could mean that it was a fullonica, a laundry and dye-house. As there were other basins too, it seems more likely that it was originally intended for a different use, but it may very well have been used as a baptismal font after the building had been consecrated as a church. Several roman sarcophagi have been preserved here, some beautifully decorated. The paintings are from the 8th to the 11th century, and include Pope Sylvester Capturing the Dragon, St Pantaleone Healing the Blind Man, St Benedict Healing the Leper and The Rescue of St Placid.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrm_tomburg/369232126/

---


Last edited by Pincio; May 24th, 2009 at 07:19 PM.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #331
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64

Santa Maria della Pace (Rome, Italy)

Santa Maria della Pace is one of the churches in Rome, not far from Piazza Navona. The current building was built on the foundations of the pre-existing church of Sant'Andrea de Aquarizariis in 1482, commissioned by Pope Sixtus IV. The church was rededicated to the Virgin Mary to remember a miraculous bleeding of a Madonna image there in 1480. The author of the original design is not known, though Baccio Pontelli has been proposed.

image hosted on flickr


The façade

In 1656-1667 Pope Alexander VII had the edifice restored by Pietro da Cortona, who also added the famous Baroque façade projecting from its concave wings: this, devised to simulate a theatrical set, has two orders and is entered by a semi-circular pronaos with paired Doric columns. The church presses forward almost to fill its tiny piazza; several houses had to be demolished by Pietro da Cortona to create even this miniature trapezoidal space. This newly formed piazza, focussed on the church facade even in its architectural detailing, had the additional benefits of facilitating the turning of coaches which had become so fashionable with the Roman nobility of the time and creating an ingenious unified ensemble of the church in its urban setting. The play of concave and convex forms at varying scales in and around the predominant main facade masks the neighbouring buildings, extends the apparent breadth of the facade and so increases the visual impact on the spectator physically confined by the small trapezoidal piazza. The monumental effect of the plasticity of forms, spatial layering and chiarascuro lighting effects belies the actual scale of this urban intervention.


The façade

The inscription around the porch architrave is taken from Psalm 72: SUSCIPIANT MONTES PACEM POPULO ET COLLES IUSTITIAM ("The mountains shall bring peace to the people and to the hills, justice"). This reference to the 'mountains' of the coat of arms of the Chigi family, to which both Sixtus IV and Alexander VII belonged, presumably is an allusion to the benefits of their papal reigns. Oak leaf motifs, another Chigi family emblem, can also be found on the facade. On the upper facade, Cortona had the curved travertine panels cut to make grained matching patterns, in an unusual use of this particular material. Through the tall central window, the circular window of the Quattrocento church facade is visible.

Interior

The interior, which can be reached from the original fifteenth-century door, has a short nave with cruciform vaulting and a tribune surmounted by a cupola. Cortona articulated the interior of the dome with octagonal coffering and a series of ribs radiating from the lantern. This is an early example of combining these two forms of dome decoration and was employed by Gianlorenzo Bernini in his later churches at Ariccia and Castelgandolfo. Carlo Maderno designed the high altar (1614) to enframe the venerable icon of the Madonna and Child.


Raphael Sibyls

The Chigi Chapel and other artworks

Raphael began to fresco the four Sibyls receiving angelic instruction (1514) above the arched doorway leading to an inner chapel, commissioned by Agostino Chigi, the papal banker. The Deposition over the altar is by Cosimo Fancelli. The second chapel on the right, the Cesi Chapel, was designed by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, and has a very fine Renaissance decoration on the external arch by Simone Mosca, as well as two small frescoes, the Creation of Eve and the Original Sin by Rosso Fiorentino. The first chapel on the left (Ponzetti Chapel) has noteworthy Renaissance frescoes by Baldassarre Peruzzi, who is better known as an architect. The second chapel has marble taken from the ruins of the Temple of Jupiter Capitolinus. The tribune has paintings by Carlo Maratta, Peruzzi, Orazio Gentileschi, Francesco Albani and others.

Bramante cloister

The main feature of the church is however the Bramante cloister. Built in 1500-1504 for Cardinal Oliviero Carafa, it was the first work of Donato Bramante in the city. It has two floors, the first with arcades on pilasters, the second with arcades on pilasters and columns.

image hosted on flickr

Bramante Cloister

---

Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #332
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64

San Matteo (Genoa, Italy)

On the Piazza San Matteo are the houses of the Doria family and the Church of San Matteo, containing the tomb of the Genoese admiral and statesman Andrea Doria.
image hosted on flickr


San Matteo's Church was built from Martino Doria in 1125, as chapel. It is situated in the centre of the city area, near the San Lorenzo Cathedral.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oreundici/1778319848/

In the course of the centuries the original construction was restructured, then in the 1278 the church was totally demolished so it was built one new inspired at the gothic style.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsantin/2539102610/

The cloister of San Matteo was added to the church of San Matteo by Priore Andrea da Goano between 1308 and 1310.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ascaro41/3344193847/

---

Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #333
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64

Chiesa Nuova (Rome, Italy)

Santa Maria in Vallicella, also called Chiesa Nuova, is a church in Rome, which today faces onto the main thoroughfare of the Corso Vittorio Emanuele. It is the principal church of the Oratorians founded by St Philip Neri in 1561 at a time in the 16th century when the Counter Reformation saw the emergence of a number of new religious organisations such as the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), the Theatines and the Barnabites.

image hosted on flickr


Interior & ArtWorks

The floor-plan models the post-Counter-Reformation design of the Gesù; cross-like with one main nave leading toward the high altar. Neri had intended that the interior be plain with whitewashed walls but it was filled by patrons mainly during 1620-1690 with a collection of masterworks by the prime artists of those decades in Rome. It is renowned for its altarpieces by Barocci, Pietro da Cortona's frescoed ceiling, and the Rubens slate and copper altarpiece. Cortona's nave vault fresco of the 'Miracle of the Madonna della Vallicella' was executed in 1664-5. This is clearly set within an elaborated gold frame (quadro riportato ) and is painted with a Venetian di sotto in su (from below to above) view as employed by Paolo Veronese. His designs for the vault decoration, with eleborate white and gilt stucco work incorporating figurative, geometrical and naturalistic elements, were carried out by Cosimo Fancelli and Ercole Ferrata.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerg1975/2768586132/

In the transcept is a Coronation of Mary by the Cavaliere d'Arpino, who also painted the first altarpiece (Presentation in the Temple) on the right. In the right presbytery, is the Spada family chapel completed in 1593 by Rainaldi. Inside a Madonna with Child and Santi Carlo Borromeo and Ignazio di Loyola (1675) was painted by Maratta. In the center presbytery, the bronze ciborium was designed by Ciro Ferri in 1681. The Virgin with child and two lateral paintings, Santi Domitilla, Nereo and Achilleo, Santi Gregorio Magno, Mauro and Papia (1606-1608) are among the few works painted by Peter Paul Rubens created specifically for a Roman commission. When installed, the three slate panels are said to have caused a 'stir' among observers in Rome, who were generally unaccustomed to Flemish painterly style. The Rubens altarpiece were commissioned by Monsignor Giacomo Serra for 300 scudi. In the left transept is a Presentation of Mary to the Temple (1593-4) by Federico Barocci. He completed two altarpieces that were highly admired in his time, including one in the Chapel of the Visitation (1583-86).

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/earthmagnified/3411786448/

In the sacristy is a marble sculptural group of S. Filippo with an Angel by Alessandro Algardi. The wall frescoes are by Francesco Trevisani and Benediction by Christ by Cerrini with the ceiling frescoed with Angels carrying the instruments of the Passion (1633-34) by Pietro da Cortona. The fifth altarpiece on the left is an Annunciation by the Passignano; the fourth, a Visitation by Barocci with the ceiling frescoed with Saints by Saraceni. In the third Adoration by the Shepherds by Durante Alberti and the vault frescoed with a Saint by Cristofano Roncalli. The second altarpiece is an Adoration by the Magi by Cesare Nebbia; the first, a 'Presentation to the Temple by d'Arpino. One painting that did not stay in its intended chapel is worth recording; Caravaggio's altarpiece of the Entombment of Christ was commissioned by Alessandro Vittrice, nephew of one of Saint Philip's friends, and depicted the entombment in a radically naturalistic format, foreign to the grand manner found in the remaining altarpieces. The original is in the Vatican Pinacoteca.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/earthmagnified/3410977733/

---

Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #334
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64

Santuario della Madonna d'Appari (Paganica, Italy)



Paganica is a hillside town in the province of L'Aquila, in the Abruzzo region of southern Italy. It is a frazione of the comune of L'Aquila (which is some 7 km far), and has a population of about 7,000.

image hosted on flickr


An old Roman city, in 1254 its citizens took part in the foundation of L'Aquila by Manfred of Sicily. On 6 April 2009, Paganica was severely damaged, with 70 percent of its building destroyed, as a result of the 2009 L'Aquila earthquake. The earthquake's epicenter was along the road between L'Aquila and Paganica, Paganica being the closest town to the epicenter.

image hosted on flickr


The Sanctuary

Sanctuary of Madonna d'Appari (14th century) is built directly on the rock and it's characterized by precious frescoes from later centuries.

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr


---

Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #335
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64

Sant'Uberto (Venaria Reale, Turin, Italy)

UNESCO World Heritage Centre

image hosted on flickr


The St. Uberto Chapel, as big as a church, now deconsecrated, is a true jewel of Juvarra architecture. It is inserted in the complex of Venaria Reale, near Turin, is the only place in Europe dedicated to the Savoia House.

image hosted on flickr

Interior

The church was so close to the buildings that it was not possible to build its dome. Inside, it was painted on the basis of the trompe-oeil style. The stables were built too (1722-1728) and a reworking in French-style of the facades was made.

image hosted on flickr

Interior

The latest work was carried out between the second half of the 17th century and the beginning of the 18th century (stables and riding, the stairs of the Palace of Diana, the gallery Sant'Uberto), than the palace was almost forgotten in favour of the Stupinigi House Hunting (1729), which reflected more the new tastes of the European Courts.

image hosted on flickr

Interior

---

Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #336
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64

Oratorio di San Bernardino (Perugia, Italy)

The Oratorio of San Bernardino is in Piazza San Francesco, a large grassy area by the oratory and Perugia's Church of San Francesco. The oratory dates from the 15th century and it's beautiful facade is made of pink, white, and black marble.

image hosted on flickr


The façade

The façade of the oratory of San Bernardino is the masterpiece of the Florentine sculptor and architect Agostino di Duccio and dates from 1457-61. It is the most important work of sculptural decoration from the Renaissance period in Perugia.

image hosted on flickr

Detail of façade

The façade is covered with a series of bas-reliefs representing the Glory of Saint Bernardine, alternating with images of virtues and angels, all set in the attractive pattern of colors that characterizes the facing.


Interior

The oratory was built in honor of St. Bernardine, who often used to visit Perugia, staying at the adjacent monastery of San Francesco and preaching to the inhabitants on the expanse of grass in front of the church. Inside the Oratory there is an altar made from a 4th century paleochristian sarcophagus.


The Roman Sarcophagus

---

Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #337
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος
 
Arpels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Guarda/Barreiro
Posts: 53,043
Likes (Received): 117

fantastic sarcophagus
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:30 AM   #338
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64

Santa Maria del Regno (Ardara, SARDINIA, Italy)

Santa Maria del Regno is a Romanesque church in Ardara, province of Sassari, Sardinia, Italy.

image hosted on flickr


The church is mentioned in the Libellus Judicum Turritanorum of the 13th century. The church was built in dark basalt stone by Pisane workers (the island in the Middle Ages was under strong influence from the maritime Republic of Pisa). The façade is divided into five sectors and has a salient-shaped façade. In the middle is the portal, surmounted by a double mullioned window. The whole exterior of the edifice is characterized by false columns (lesene) and Lombard bands; on the right are the remains of the square bell tower, which is missing the upper part.

image hosted on flickr

The façade

Interior: the Retablo

The church, together with the annexed castle of which ruins remain today, was built in the 11th century by Giorgia, daughter of the Giudice of Torres, as a Palace Chapel. The interior, on a rectangular plan, has a nave and two aisles divided by columns whose capitals have flower motifs. The nave has a wooden trusses ceiling, while the aisles are groin vaulted. In the semi-circular apse is the large retablo, the largest 16th century polyptych in Sardinia, located behind the high altar. The table portrays several prohets and saints, as well as episodes in the life of the Virgin Mary.

image hosted on flickr

Retablo

In the middle, within a niche, is the wooden statue of Nostra Signora del Regno, a "Madonna with Child" wearing royal symbols. The polyptych is dated 1515. The church's columns have 17th century paintings with Apostles and other Saints, while also present is a lesser retablo from the same school, a carved wooden pulpit and an epigraph celebrating the consecration of the church on May 7, 1107.

image hosted on flickr

Retablo (detail)

---


Last edited by Pincio; June 6th, 2009 at 12:18 PM.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:56 PM   #339
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος
 
Arpels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Guarda/Barreiro
Posts: 53,043
Likes (Received): 117

Igreja da Conceição Velha - Lisboa

can not use flash inside the church.







Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:29 PM   #340
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 8,053
Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpels View Post
This portal is absolutely AMAZING!
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
churches, interiors

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu