daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Chicago

Old August 9th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #21
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 5

I like what I see! It's better than a stupid parking garage. Though that rendering shows what appears to be a garden on the roof, while the Suntimes article seems to imply that the rooftop garden will be replaced with a Stadium Club to top the structure off (though one would think they could just put the garden above that).

Sponsored Links

Old August 26th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #22
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
What about option 3? Cantilever over the sidewalks like in the Bleachers (extending grandstand seating and rebuild the upper level with better skyboxes, press boxes, additional seating). The look would be the same, just deeper and grander (of course with ADA and wider aisles, attendance may not change much). Option 2 would never happen - they might as well move to Schaumburg.
Yeah, this would be my choice too.
They could rebuild the grandstand completely with new amenities while keep the actual field untouched and keeping the intimacy.

It's not as if it hasn't been done several times already in the stadiums history.

it's closer to what they do in england, since they don't rely of gov'ment money they just upgrade little by little.

Old Trafford 1926

Old Trafford in the late 60s (For the record I loathe Man U)

Old Trafford after a few renovations.

Old Trafford today, after even more renovations

Construction of Weeghman Park for the Chicago Whales

Opening Day 1914

1915 Left Field Bleachers

Partially completed upper deck. 1927
SIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #23
chrome13

Likes (Received): 1

The less parking in Wrigleyville, the better. There's plenty of transit for the big Ten grads to utilize. They can leave their cars at their mom's house.
chrome13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #24
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 978

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4490212.story

Wrigley throws a curve in Cubs sale
Price tag for renovations likely to affect negotiations

By Ameet Sachdev | Chicago Tribune reporter
September 28, 2008

..........Bidders aren't publicly discussing their plans for the stadium because the sales process is ongoing. But their concerns go beyond maintaining the stadium in a safe condition. Fans and players have expressed the desire for more modern amenities, such as a larger clubhouse and more space for concessions and bathrooms, without losing the vibe and charm of the old ballpark. If a new owner has to privately finance such improvements, fans could see higher ticket and food prices, and even the stadium's sacrosanct name replaced with a corporate sponsor.
..........."You can maintain Wrigley Field as is for a period of time," said one source close to a bidder who did not want to be identified. "But the big question isn't maintaining it. Whoever buys the team will have to make a gut check on what do you want the stadium to look like. The fact is there are revenue streams you can add to the stadium, but you got to build them first before you can charge for them."

...........Cubs Chairman Crane Kenney said any improvements to Wrigley Field and their price tag "depends on how ambitious you are, how much you want to accomplish." Otherwise, he added, "if you just maintain the place, you can play in Wrigley Field certainly though my lifetime, and I'm 46."

A good write up on the future economics of the park and how it effects the sale.
-young middle-class lad or lass who feels elated by thinking that he or she has covered all aspects of politics and religion with the help of a few lectures by a certified conspiracy crank or by watching a straight-to-YouTube ‘documentary’. - Nadeem F. Paracha

"Islamphobia" - a word created by fascist, and used by cowards, to manipulate morons". - C. Hitchens
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:31 PM   #25
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
10/1/2008 10:00:00 PM

Provided: Solomon Cordwell Buenz
The Addison Park on Clark would stand nearly eye-to-eye with Wrigley Field.

Wrigleyville under debate
New plans for Addison—Clark complex strive to quell community criticism

By JESSICA PUPOVAC
Editor

Developers unveiled a revised plan last Thursday for a massive, mixed-use development that would sit directly across the street from Wrigley Field and include nearly 200 residential units, a Hyatt Place hotel, more than 500 parking spaces, multiple retailers and a health club.

If approved, the structure, dubbed Addison Park on Clark, would span the entire length of Addison Street, from Sheffield to Clark. It would be built around an existing souvenir shop on the corner of Clark and Addison and the hotel portion would stretch down Clark past Eddy.

John C. Lahey, chairman of Solomon Cordwell Buenz, design partner for the development team, led the presentation. He said that the structure had been modified to address community concerns aired in January, after another set of prints was presented to the public.

But many in attendance were unsatisfied.

"At the January meeting, a directive was sent back to these guys that it was too big, and they returned with something bigger," Greg Rohner of Triangle Neighbors told Booster after the meeting. "It's like, if you want to buy something, and it's too expensive, the merchant doesn't come back with a higher price."

The new plans call for a building that stands 105 feet at street level, which is exactly the same height as the previous design. The highest point, in the center of the building, would be 122 feet tall. However, the new complex would house more residential units (up from 150 to 196), hotel rooms (up from 137 to 165) and contain an extra 40,000 square feet in retail space. It would require a zoning upgrade from B3-2 and B3-3 to B3-5.

But, according to Lahey, "To make things work economically, we need this kind of density."

Developers argued that, they incorporated an additional lot along Clark, in order to move the building back along the street to allow green space at the street level, a move which reduced the impact of the structure on the local environment.

Rohner admitted that this was a nice touch. "I think they addressed a lot of the concerns on Clark," he said.

But a nonscientific survey conducted earlier this year by the Lake View Citizens Council suggested that the chief concerns in the local community are traffic congestion and the ability of small businesses to stay afloat.

According to property owner Steven Schultz, he has signed a letter of intent with CVS Pharmacy. Other big-name retailers including Dominick's, Best Buy and numerous clothing stores are also interested in setting up shop there.

As for traffic, Lahey said, the seemingly scant amount of parking spaces are intended to encourage retail workers and residents to take public transportation. "Density close to transit stops is a good thing in general," he said. "It's the way that cities are going to survive."

Bill Patrun of Bristol Chicago Development LLC, another partner in the Addison Park project, added that when the design team's traffic study, mandated by the Department of Transportation, is completed, they will share those findings with the community.

Residents gave ground on the potential economic advantages of the hotel itself.

"Obviously, a hotel is a wonderful addition to the neighborhood," said Rev. Jennifer Owen-O'Quill of the Second Unitarian Church of Chicago, "but it is important to think about what this is going to mean as far as whether this neighborhood will remain residential."

Ald. Tom Tunney (44th) echoed her remarks. "This is a whole different scale then what we're used to in our neighborhood," he said. "The concerns are very important here, and we've asked them to continue to work with community groups and make it as good of a plan as possible."

But, ultimately, he said, something needs to happen.

"In my mind, people feel the site is underutilized and underdeveloped, and it's certainly not an asset to the community at large, so there needs to be development on this site. Let's make it the best development we can."
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:19 PM   #26
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder03.article

Wrigley Field roof is tops for developers
REAL ESTATE | Height cut for Clark-Addison project
Comments

June 3, 2009

BY DAVID ROEDER Sun-Times Columnist
Developers in Lake View have learned a lesson: If you want to build near Wrigley Field, you give the old park a little respect. Don't build higher than the Wrigley roof.

Plans for a more than $100 million hotel, apartment and retail complex southeast of Clark and Addison have been shaved to win community and aldermanic backing. Property owner Steven Schultz and M&R Development LLC took the equivalent of a floor or two off the tallest elements in the complex. No longer would they set a new height precedent for the neighborhood with buildings that seem to crane for a glimpse of Cubs action.

M&R partner Anthony Rossi said the project can be downsized because of the decision, made with architectural firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz, to move two levels of parking underground. It increases construction costs but means a couple lower levels formerly assigned to parking can be dressed up for retailers and made more attractive from the outside. Rossi said a health club has committed to occupy some of the space.

He said Global Hyatt Corp. is interested in operating and acquiring the 137-room hotel, which would be along Clark Street. A seven-story building on Addison would contain 135 apartments, down from an earlier scheme calling for nearly 200 units. Rossi said the size of the retail space has been reduced by nearly 25 percent, to 147,000 square feet....................

-young middle-class lad or lass who feels elated by thinking that he or she has covered all aspects of politics and religion with the help of a few lectures by a certified conspiracy crank or by watching a straight-to-YouTube ‘documentary’. - Nadeem F. Paracha

"Islamphobia" - a word created by fascist, and used by cowards, to manipulate morons". - C. Hitchens
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM   #27
jimbojoe45

As a resident of Wrigleyville let me say I am completly against the construction of such a building. The parking structure in the vacant triangular lot next to wrigley should be built. That land is so under utilized and additional parking for the game would be nice. However, the block of clark where this proposed hotel/apartment building would be built is already well developed with bars/restaurants/stores and a comedy club. If they want to build up they should move the propes building to the east and build on top of the vacant lots and 7/11. Just my two sense.
jimbojoe45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #28
yooik4890

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome13 View Post
The less parking in Wrigleyville, the better. There's plenty of transit for the big Ten grads to utilize. They can leave their cars at their mom's house.
Are your serious? Have you ever been on the Red Line or a bus to Wrigley Field during a cubs game. It's straight out of Toyko, even with trains coming at 60 second intervals. What happens is that these people drving in from the burbs often end up parking illeaglly in other neighboorhoods, adding even more to the congestion
yooik4890 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #29
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojoe45 View Post
As a resident of Wrigleyville let me say I am completly against the construction of such a building. The parking structure in the vacant triangular lot next to wrigley should be built. That land is so under utilized and additional parking for the game would be nice. However, the block of clark where this proposed hotel/apartment building would be built is already well developed with bars/restaurants/stores and a comedy club. If they want to build up they should move the propes building to the east and build on top of the vacant lots and 7/11. Just my two sense.
Wouldn't the underground parking be geared more toward hotel guests and the people living in the condominiums, as opposed to giving Cubs fans additional parking opportunities on game day? And if parking is going to be a part of this development, I'm at least thrilled that the developers appear willing to place it underground to ensure plenty of space for street level retail, bars, and restaurants. To me, it's about as ideal as it gets.

I want to see that block developed. The portion of this development that fronts Addison is nothing special right now. Other than the building that Starbucks is in, the rest of it is parking lots surrounding a 7/11, an auto repair garage, and I believe an architecturally uninteresting Cubs gifts store. How far down Clark Street would the development extend?

Besides, we should be increasing residential levels in locations this close to a rail station.
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #30
chrome13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooik4890 View Post
Are your serious? Have you ever been on the Red Line or a bus to Wrigley Field during a cubs game. It's straight out of Toyko, even with trains coming at 60 second intervals. What happens is that these people drving in from the burbs often end up parking illeaglly in other neighboorhoods, adding even more to the congestion
Yes I have. The surrounding streets just can't handle that much traffic. If we could encourage more suburbanites, particularly those coming in on the Kennedy, to utilize the Blue line and the Irving/Addison busses, we could decrease the traffic on those streets during gamedays and actually get people in and out of there better.

Wrigley is great because of its environs, which are great becuase they walkable. But the streets weren't built for every Schaumburgite to drive his car up to the stadium. More parking will only lead to more gridlock.

One way to alleviate redline congestion would be to make the blue line/bus combo a realistic alternative. As it is now, its about as fast taking the blue line all the way downtown and the redline all the way back up than it is taking the bus. Personally, I think traffic on Addison and Irving and the side streets in between should be restricted to vehicles with resident stickets only on game days. There's a huge surface lot that's never close to fully utilized by the Kmart on Addison. The cubs/CTA should partner up with buying that lot and running more shuttle service from those points for those that insist on driving as much as possible.

Only through transit will you lessen congestion, curb illegal parking, and possibly make the trip there and back faster for everyone.
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #31
chrome13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
Wouldn't the underground parking be geared more toward hotel guests and the people living in the condominiums, as opposed to giving Cubs fans additional parking opportunities on game day? And if parking is going to be a part of this development, I'm at least thrilled that the developers appear willing to place it underground to ensure plenty of space for street level retail, bars, and restaurants. To me, it's about as ideal as it gets.

I want to see that block developed. The portion of this development that fronts Addison is nothing special right now. Other than the building that Starbucks is in, the rest of it is parking lots surrounding a 7/11, an auto repair garage, and I believe an architecturally uninteresting Cubs gifts store. How far down Clark Street would the development extend?

Besides, we should be increasing residential levels in locations this close to a rail station.
Agree 100%
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #32
yooik4890

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome13 View Post
Yes I have. The surrounding streets just can't handle that much traffic. If we could encourage more suburbanites, particularly those coming in on the Kennedy, to utilize the Blue line and the Irving/Addison busses, we could decrease the traffic on those streets during gamedays and actually get people in and out of there better.

Wrigley is great because of its environs, which are great becuase they walkable. But the streets weren't built for every Schaumburgite to drive his car up to the stadium. More parking will only lead to more gridlock.

One way to alleviate redline congestion would be to make the blue line/bus combo a realistic alternative. As it is now, its about as fast taking the blue line all the way downtown and the redline all the way back up than it is taking the bus. Personally, I think traffic on Addison and Irving and the side streets in between should be restricted to vehicles with resident stickets only on game days. There's a huge surface lot that's never close to fully utilized by the Kmart on Addison. The cubs/CTA should partner up with buying that lot and running more shuttle service from those points for those that insist on driving as much as possible.

Only through transit will you lessen congestion, curb illegal parking, and possibly make the trip there and back faster for everyone.
THAT IS AN AMAZING IDEA. Sorry if I came off rude
yooik4890 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #33
chrome13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooik4890 View Post
THAT IS AN AMAZING IDEA. Sorry if I came off rude
You weren't rude. But even if you were, your agreement with my idea wipes the slate clean.
Old June 28th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #34
t_george

Likes (Received): 6

Before Wrigley...

t_george no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #35
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...wrig07.article

Wrigley makeover by 2014? Family yet to approve specific renovation plan

July 7, 2009

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter

When the billionaire Ricketts family gets the "play ball" sign from the closed fraternity of baseball owners, one of the first hurdles will be what to do about 95-year-old Wrigley Field.

On the table is a $250 million makeover timed to celebrate the ballpark's 100th anniversary and update the shrine of Major League Baseball to last for another century -- and possibly host the 2014 All-Star Game.

Known as Wrigley 2014, the plan calls for new concourses, washrooms, concessions, skyboxes and a club seating lounge.

..........Culloton reiterated that the family has no interest in reviving an ill-fated plan to have the state buy and renovate Wrigley. The plan surfaced under former Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

Despite the 2004 embarrassment tied to falling concrete, sources said the Ricketts family could decide to stand pat for a while. "The ballpark is safe and structurally sound. Substantial resources have been put into maintaining it," said a source familiar with the issue.

Old August 26th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #36
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=35243

Ricketts' Wrigley game plan: rehab on a budget

By: Mike Colias Aug. 25, 2009 (Crain’s) —

.........Fans shouldn’t expect major changes anytime soon: A major overhaul of the 95-year-old park is probably four or five years out, according to two people familiar with the Ricketts family’s plans. And even then, the job likely wouldn’t exceed $250 million, one source said.

........Ricketts' ticket The family views as perhaps its biggest new moneymaker the development of the so-called “triangle building” on the stadium’s west side, along Clark Street, one source said. Tribune has had a similar project on the drawing board for years. It would likely include a restaurant, shops, parking and other amenities, but the Ricketts family doesn’t yet have firm plans for the project, the source said.

Other elements are likely to include upgraded skyboxes, a lounge area, widened concourses, better bathrooms and concessions, and some sort of fan-friendly space between the triangle building and the stadium, a source said............
More in article

Old January 17th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #37
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1790453.story

Chicago Cubs plan massive restructuring of Wrigley Field
Wrigley 20-14 project includes major construction in and around park as part of 'triangle building'

By Dave van Dyck

January 17, 2010

In conjunction with the 100-year anniversary of Wrigley Field in 2014, the Cubs are planning "a complete renovation of the ballpark."

The project will be called "Wrigley 20-14" and include construction projects during the season so the Cubs can use it "for another 100 years," according to President Crane Kenney.

The focal point of the massive restructuring will be the long-talked-about "triangle building" to the west, a project that will include knocking down the outer wall on the third-base side to form a large open-air courtyard that would include concession areas and shops.

In the end, all of the concourse will be widened and include expanded restrooms, some of which will be completed for this season. It also means construction will be ongoing during the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Although plans still are sketchy, there also could be a restaurant below the third-base terrace "suites."

The only parts of the park that will not be reconfigured are the bleachers, which already have been altered by more seats and a restaurant.

"A lot of spots in the ballpark haven't been touched in years," Kenney said. "We put millions (of dollars) in every offseason just to keep it moving forward without really changing much.

"We have to be re-thinking long term."

During a Cubs Convention panel discussion about the business of baseball, Kenney told the audience:

--"I can't imagine the ballpark not being called Wrigley Field," when asked about naming rights, even though former Tribune Co. ownership seemed amenable to it.

--The "L" flag will continue to fly for the time being, although there is internal debate about it. Kenney took a show-of-hands survey during the discussion that showed "4- or 5-to-1" against changing the tradition.

--No Friday night games and no Jumbotron screen will be added soon, if ever, and the Cubs don't envision going to personal seat licenses for ticket-holders.

dvandyck@tribune.com

Old January 17th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #38
nicksplace27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
Will the triangle building look like this? I really like how dense it seems to make everything. It seems like the density disappears in wrigleyville just after you read the stadium. It'll make the famous intersection a lot cooler and I think the ambiance will be more citylike.
nicksplace27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #39
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...-cub12.article
From Wrigley to Mesa, Ricketts family has game plan
March 12, 2010
BY TONI GINNETTI tginnetti@suntimes.com

...........More concrete are the plans for Wrigley Field, its surroundings and for the team on the field. Among them:

• A $100 million multipurpose baseball-use, office, retail, hotel and restaurant structure adjacent to Wrigley providing not only new training needs for the players but an anticipated lucrative new revenue stream. The potential six-story structure, which already is drawing partner interest from at least three hotel chains and businesses, would include a top-story stadium club and outdoor seating and would be connected by walkways to the park. Work could begin by the end of this season, with a targeted opening in 2014 to coincide with the team's 100th anniversary in the park.

• At least $100 million in renovations in the coming years to Wrigley Field itself. Some have started, including upgrades to washroom facilities and moving the team weight-training room from a small area in the clubhouse to the larger umpires room, with the umpires moved to a new area................

Old March 14th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #40
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 54

Was it always 6 floors or did it grow a little or was the reporter mistaken? I'm surprised that they're looking for a hotel now since they'll be competing with the new Hyatt Place across the street. And a $100 million sounds a bit high.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote