daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala > Thrissur

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:58 PM   #1461
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_2007 View Post
As thrissur is in Center and has a vast area.. with well connected road, people in thrissur is spread in and out of the city... there are large amount of residential areas.. just outside the city limits as well.... If you have frequently gone through all areas of thrissur.. you will realise this...

There are large settlement towards the west side of thrissur.. that is towards the coastal.. Which may be just outside city limits.. and they all depend on thrissur.. Moreover we have a large area of Puzhakal and Kole paadam ... inside the city limits which restricts the residential settlement... Hence in do not believe in this ratting..

I have'nt seeing this in other places in kerala like palakadu, kollam and kottayam... (here it is more concentrated in city limits but very less just beyond the limits)..

The Calicut somes to the same catogory as thrissur.... the Cochin from 2000 can be included... I don't know much abt TVM and kannur

As I had mentioned earlier (elsewhere in this forum), it is the farm land factor in & around Thrissur that contirbutes for the lower density in population.

As far as Trivandrum is considered, Trivandrum has got a number of highly populated (Special Grade) Panchayats in its outskirts, hardly at a distance of 3 to 12 km from the Corporation limits. Some of which have not at all been included in the Urban Agglomeration too. Reason for not inlcuding these areas in the U/A is yet unknown.

Sponsored Links

Old July 1st, 2009, 03:48 PM   #1462
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Likes (Received): 3489

May be because they are not census towns. Census towns are basically revenue villages outside statutory towns(like muncipalities, corporations etc) but having an urban status. Special grade status of panchayats are not considered because revenue villages are the basic units. Census towns need to have
* A minimum population of 5,000
* At least 75% of male working population engaged in non-agricultural pursuits
* A density of population of at least 400 persons per sq. km.

But there are units named as urban outgrowths which are neither census towns nor statutory towns. They become part of a UA but do not obey the above said rules. It can be smaller than a revenue village (like a portion of a revenue village). For example in trivandrum UA kazhakoottam is an urban outgrowth. In Kozhikode UA beypore is a census town.
Old July 1st, 2009, 04:12 PM   #1463
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslesh View Post
May be because they are not census towns. Census towns are basically revenue villages outside statutory towns(like muncipalities, corporations etc) but having an urban status. Special grade status of panchayats are not considered because revenue villages are the basic units. Census towns need to have
* A minimum population of 5,000
* At least 75% of male working population engaged in non-agricultural pursuits
* A density of population of at least 400 persons per sq. km.

But there are units named as urban outgrowths which are neither census towns nor statutory towns. They become part of a UA but do not obey the above said rules. It can be smaller than a revenue village (like a portion of a revenue village). For example in trivandrum UA kazhakoottam is an urban outgrowth. In Kozhikode UA beypore is a census town.

Kidu thanne Kidu. (Choodakaruthu ketto. aa kaalam okke kayinjutto).

However, the first & third criterion are satisfied in these areas.

I have to explore about the % of male population working in non-agricultural pursuits. (But I think, this 'male dominance' can be challenged under gender equality rights). But even in the case of Census, we usually do not get a correct status regarding the profession of people. When the teachers go for census operation, mostly women will be at home and they will give an easy answer as 'Agriculture'. I know that in many parts of Kerala, people are scared that if they give the correct information regarding income & profession, they shall be taxed.
Old July 1st, 2009, 04:16 PM   #1464
sakrishna
ACCOUNT CLOSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleelmalik View Post
Kidu thanne Kidu. (Choodakaruthu ketto. aa kaalam okke kayinjutto).

However, the first & third criterion are satisfied in these areas.

I have to explore about the % of male population working in non-agricultural pursuits. (But I think, this 'male dominance' can be challenged under gender equality rights). But even in the case of Census, we usually do not get a correct status regarding the profession of people. When the teachers go for census operation, mostly women will be at home and they will give an easy answer as 'Agriculture'. I know that in many parts of Kerala, people are scared that if they give the correct information regarding income & profession, they shall be taxed.

Athe Athe. Aslesh Bhayiyeyum Namichirukkunu.
sakrishna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM   #1465
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Likes (Received): 3489

Kali akkallappa. The census thing which jaleelka said is true for the whole kerala. Most people would say they do agriculture even if they have some other profession. Exceptions are government employees and people working in traditional small scale industries like beedi, handlooms, cashew, coir etc. You will see that the areas were such traditional industries are concentrated are all urban. That is one reason why Kannur, Thrissur, Kollam and Alappuzha districts have more urban population compared to Kottayam and Palakkad districts which are more dependent on agriculture.

If the second condition for the urban status was not required then the whole kerala would have been urban. Kerala has a total population of 3 crores and a population density around 800 per sq km. Only problem is that still ours is an agricultural state. We need an industrial revolution to become a large metropolitan city of Kerala.
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM   #1466
anand kumar

Likes (Received): 1

Friends,

Mathrubhumi daily had published a supplement on June19th, 2008 on the above topic: Thrissur-2011. It says that Asian Development Bank has granted a loan of Rs.114 crores for thrissur. The projects taken up are:
1) Rs.28.27 crores for beautification of swaraj round
2) Rs.4.92 crores - green belt at lalur
3) Rs.29 crores for drainage facility
4) 3 more subways (including Paramekkavu)
5) 8 roads to be given a facelift
6) Colonies to be given a facelift.

Can anyone post the actual posistion of these projects now?

I had raised a query about an Airstrip also some days back. The news item was published in the Hindu.
The details are:

Mr. C.N. Jayadevan (LDF Candidate who lost the recent election) had indicated during his campaign that an airstrip is under consideration in thrissur. This was reported in The Hindu dated 31-03-2009. The paragraph read like this:

Development issues

His campaign hinges on key development issues. “The issues being raised include development of kole land and completion of the Guruvayur-Kuttipuram rail line.

An air strip in Thrissur is under the consideration of the Ministry of Civil Aviation. Pressure should be exerted on the Ministry to clear this. Central support should be sought for solving drinking water supply problems in Thrissur town,” he said

http://www.hindu.com/2009/03/31/stor...3156190300.htm

Any updates on such a proposal?
anand kumar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:40 AM   #1467
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Likes (Received): 779

i-square shopping mall 90,000 sq ft MG Road.

Last edited by sanjupalayat; July 2nd, 2009 at 07:45 AM.
sanjupalayat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:43 AM   #1468
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand kumar View Post
Friends,

Mathrubhumi daily had published a supplement on June19th, 2008 on the above topic: Thrissur-2011. It says that Asian Development Bank has granted a loan of Rs.114 crores for thrissur. The projects taken up are:
1) Rs.28.27 crores for beautification of swaraj round
2) Rs.4.92 crores - green belt at lalur
3) Rs.29 crores for drainage facility
4) 3 more subways (including Paramekkavu)
5) 8 roads to be given a facelift
6) Colonies to be given a facelift.

Can anyone post the actual posistion of these projects now?

1) Rs.28.27 crores for beautification of swaraj round - POKaaaaaa.... They started it well.. but now swaraj looks more concreted and i don't see any beautification...

2) Rs.4.92 crores - green belt at lalur : have'nt heard much about it.... till now

3) Rs.29 crores for drainage facility : they r maintaining the footpaths well if it is considered under drainage

4) 3 more subways (including Paramekkavu) : It under progress

5) 8 roads to be given a facelift : can see two roads .. Ikkadawarrior, TUDA and shornur road are done well... not any thing else

6) Colonies to be given a facelift. : If it is railway colonies the yes.. it's under prgress

Vinod
vinod_2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:50 AM   #1469
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjupalayat View Post
WOW.... Sanju... you are the man......

It's great to see a modern mall in MG road.. but the question how big it is ?

90,000 sq ft is not that big.. LuLu Mall is nearly 1.5 lakh sqft.

Can someone find the exact location

Vinod
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:59 AM   #1470
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Quote:
WOW.... Sanju... you are the man......

It's great to see a modern mall in MG road.. but the question how big it is ?

90,000 sq ft is not that big.. LuLu Mall is nearly 1.5 lakh sqft.

Can someone find the exact location
I have scanned it from yesterdays hindu, the add says it all vinod, they have wriitten it as 90,000 sq ft and the location is on mg road....for more info just give a mail to isquare@rocketmail.com and they dont have a website vinod.....
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:15 AM   #1471
apjustin
Justin Aloor, Valapad

Likes (Received): 130

i-square shopping mall

Quote:
Where did you get it from? I couldn't find it in google !!!!!!!!!
apjustin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM   #1472
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Quote:
Originally Posted by apjustin View Post
Yesterdays Hindu, i scanned it....u wont get it from google, since they don have a website....
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:02 AM   #1473
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Quote:
Originally Posted by apjustin View Post
Justin,

It doesn't look as a big builder... Anyway.. another modern mall in MG road after Center point should make a boom in that area....

Vinod
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:43 AM   #1474
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Quote:
Justin,

It doesn't look as a big builder... Anyway.. another modern mall in MG road after Center point should make a boom in that area....
Tell me about center point, vinod.....

Last edited by sanjupalayat; July 2nd, 2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1475
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslesh View Post
Kali akkallappa. The census thing which jaleelka said is true for the whole kerala. Most people would say they do agriculture even if they have some other profession. Exceptions are government employees and people working in traditional small scale industries like beedi, handlooms, cashew, coir etc. You will see that the areas were such traditional industries are concentrated are all urban. That is one reason why Kannur, Thrissur, Kollam and Alappuzha districts have more urban population compared to Kottayam and Palakkad districts which are more dependent on agriculture.

If the second condition for the urban status was not required then the whole kerala would have been urban. Kerala has a total population of 3 crores and a population density around 800 per sq km. Only problem is that still ours is an agricultural state. We need an industrial revolution to become a large metropolitan city of Kerala.
Still, we import cereals, pulses & vegetables (ofcourse cattle & poultry) from other States !!! . We have more of Spices & Plantation Crops. Hightime to have a balance between Cash Crops & Food Crops. The reality is that the Spices & Plantation Cropping Systems, Processing & Marketing operates professionally as in the case of Industries.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM   #1476
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Quote:
Tell me about center point, vinod.....

Centerpoint is current looking as a flop... the major factor is the design of the building which doesn't look like a open MALL... But it is a centralized A/C MALL which hyped much at the begining.. even boasted as the first multiplex shopping mall in kerala.. (which did not happen)

I still feels this MALL can pick up... but the only think is the TOTAL shopping culture of MG road should change... The Model road should complete till swaraj round,

If the food paths are neat and board, also when shopping malls like new i-square pops up... people will start walking all around MG road for shopping... Such a culture will help Centerpoint.. i hope they will not close before these happen..

I can see this happening in near future... but the model road should complete as fast as possible...

The change of MG road will surely reflect in rest of Thrissur.

Vinod
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM   #1477
anand kumar

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
1) Rs.28.27 crores for beautification of swaraj round - POKaaaaaa.... They started it well.. but now swaraj looks more concreted and i don't see any beautification...

2) Rs.4.92 crores - green belt at lalur : have'nt heard much about it.... till now

3) Rs.29 crores for drainage facility : they r maintaining the footpaths well if it is considered under drainage

4) 3 more subways (including Paramekkavu) : It under progress

5) 8 roads to be given a facelift : can see two roads .. Ikkadawarrior, TUDA and shornur road are done well... not any thing else

6) Colonies to be given a facelift. : If it is railway colonies the yes.. it's under prgress
And what about the proposed airstrip project? Does anybody know about that?
anand kumar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM   #1478
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Supplyco bazaars to sell essential items

Kochi, June 21

Supplyco, the nodal agency to execute the market intervention operations for the Kerala Government, has proposed to open special bazaars at Thiruvananthapuram, Thrissur and Kozhikode from Monday to distribute essential commodities.

All essential items including rice, provisions and FMCG products, will be sold through these bazaars besides vegetables at a price below the open market rate. This has been necessitated considering the rising prices of vegetables and other essential commodities in the State in the recent period.

Vinod
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM   #1479
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Master plan for Thrissur railway station ready

Thrissur: A master plan for development of Thrissur Railway Station will be submitted to the Railway Ministry soon, P.C. Chacko, MP, has said. He was speaking after a review meeting with Railway authorities, including Additional Divisional Railway Manager Asok Kumar, Divisional Engineer Vijay Singh and Senior Signal and Telecommunication Engineer Viswanathan Nair here on Saturday.

The plan would include widening of roads on eastern and western sides of the railway station, a full-fledged second terminal on the western side and renovation of reservation counter and touch-screen facilities at counters and platforms. “Immediate steps will be taken to ease heavy rush at ticket counters. All the five existing counters will be made functional soon. At least five more employees are needed for smooth functioning of the station,” Mr. Chacko pointed out.

The long-pending demand for a second terminal will get priority in the plan. “It will have ticket counters. The foot overbridges will be extended up to the new terminal and the existing gate will be widened. A second terminal will reduce rush at the main entrance

considerably.”

Land acquisition would be initiated soon to extend the platform at the western side, he added.

A new rail line up to Poonkunnam station was also on the anvil. Old railway quarters buildings and other structures have to be demolished to widen roads on the eastern side of the station.

The other demands included a halt for Kochuveli Express at Thrissur, extension of some passenger trains and additional foot-overbridge. The Maharaja Guest House on the railway station premises would be preserved as a heritage structure, Mr. Chacko said. The guest house, built in 1902, has stained glass, Belgium tiles and the royal emblem of the then Kochi Raja.

The district promotion council has prosposed to convert the centre into a tourism information centre.

Vinod
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:58 AM   #1480
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Poomala dam makeover nearing completion

Thrissur: A project of the District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) to beautify the premises of the Poomala dam, 12 km east of Thrissur city, is nearing completion. The Rs.55 lakh project, launched in 2008, is expected to be completed by Onam. Poomala is a scenic spot, a place to unwind for city-dwellers. The hills near the dam offer a breathtaking view of the city. Nestling among forests, Poomala extends scope for eco-tourism.

Under the beautification project, a walkway with handrail spanning 600 metres is being constructed around the dam. A park for children is being built. Work on a community hall, a cafeteria, landscaped gardens, seating facilities and toilets is in progress. The entire

area will feature state-of-the-art lighting design.

Another highlight of the project is development of facilities for boating. “The idea is to provide the visitor the experience of being close to Nature. The design is eco-friendly. Once the project is completed, Poomala will be a haven for day-trippers," said M. M. Vinod Kumar, architect for the project.

Mr. Kumar had earlier designed the DTPC’s Rs. 50-lakh Vadakkechira beautification project. Vadakkechira is one of the oldest ponds in the heart of Thrissur. Poomala dam, managed by the Minor Irrigation Department, is 95.40 metres above mean sea-level (AMSL). A division weir was constructed in the Poomala valley in 1939. The Poomala reservoir scheme was commissioned in 1968. ‘Poomala’ is believed to have been derived from the word, ‘Poovam’, a tree. According to local belief, the hills were once full of Poovam trees. On World Environment Day, trees were planted on the premises of the dam. Several Poovam saplings were also planted.

Vinod