daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #1
1st Division Marine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

What is New York Cities murder rate per year does anyone know!!!

What is New York Cities murder rate per year does anyone know!!!
1st Division Marine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 26th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #2
Daytwahs Own
Visit Detroit

Last year it was 7.1 per 100,000
Old April 27th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #3
BigDan35

New York City is the safest big city in the United States with the lowest crime rate out of any big city. It's murder rate is very low. It averages only about 5.6 per 100,000 for the past few years.
Old April 28th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #4
ShuwanCarlton

i know this is going to start a big discussion. sorry to the guy who started this thread.

i never really liked calling new york city one of the safest cities in the country because of what a stat sheet says. new york's murder rate is low because the population is so damn high. basically, the murder rate is offset by such a high population figure. so in the case of new york city, numbers lie. one of the safest? on paper, yes. but that's just on paper. all who have walked the streets will probably agree.

and don't forget about how densely populated new york is...
ShuwanCarlton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #5
pwright1

Likes (Received): 222

New York is safe. Crime has gone down considerably over the years. There's no denying it. The facts just prove it.
pwright1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #6
MSPSCO3113

In 1990 NYC had 2245 murders or about 31 per 100k. That made it as dangerous as present day St Louis and as a whole, one of the more dangerous cities in the US.

I wont deny that today a large percentage of the homicides are concentrated to certain areas and those areas are probably among the most dangerous in the country, but there are also very safe neighborhoods within the city limits which evens out the statistics. Overall the city is considered safer because of it. So i would say NYC as a whole is one of the safest big cities in the US although certain buroughs may be the most dangerous. All big cities have dangerous parts, they are just not as dominant in NYC.

Think about it this way, if you were placed in a completely random section of New Orleans or a completely random section of NYC; where do you think the odds would be greater of you getting shot?
MSPSCO3113 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #7
BigDan35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuwanCarlton
i know this is going to start a big discussion. sorry to the guy who started this thread.

i never really liked calling new york city one of the safest cities in the country because of what a stat sheet says. new york's murder rate is low because the population is so damn high. basically, the murder rate is offset by such a high population figure. so in the case of new york city, numbers lie. one of the safest? on paper, yes. but that's just on paper. all who have walked the streets will probably agree.

New York's large population really has nothing to do with it. Because EVERY city's crime rate is averaged out and put into an equation consisting of the amount of crimes and the amount of people and some other factors. New York City on paper is The safest big city in the US. In certain areas I'm sure it isn't all that safe....areas in Brooklyn, South Bronx and so on. But all those dangerous areas are averaged out and put together with some of the safer areas of NYC and out comes the final numbers (5.6 per 100,000 murder rate) which is the safest in the US.

Look at Los Angeles. 470 square miles...3,860,000 people. LA has its nice areas and it has it's really bad areas. LA's current murder rate is about 17.6 per 100,000 over 3x greater than NYC. One could say that NYC isn't all that safe because some areas of it are bad like Brooklyn area and South Bronx. But all-together NYC is safe because they take all parts...bad parts and good parts.

The same goes with here in Los Angeles. The average murder rate in the whole city is 17.6 per 100,000...in some areas it could be a lot less. Then again...in some areas, like Compton for example, the murder rate is 58.6 per 100,000 which is just about, if not THE highest in the US. So numbers all average each other out. Anyways...I'm done rambling.
Old April 30th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #8
sfenn1117

Likes (Received): 1

There's a way to find out murders per year in any given neighborhood in any of the 5 boros. Hardly any in Staten Island, midtown/downtown Manhattan, my neighborhood, most of Queens, the north Bronx. But Wsh Hts/Harlem in Manhattan, Bushwick/ENY/Brownsville/Bed-Stuy in Bklyn, South Bronx except Throgs Neck, and Corona/Jackson Hts Queens are still somewhat dangerous.

From personal experience though, the streets are literally getting safer daily. Just don't be dumb and walk around Brownsville at 2 AM. In broad daylight all is well.
sfenn1117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #9
mad_nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuwanCarlton

I walk around NYC after dark all the time, and I always feel very safe. As for how densely populated the city is, this could have an effect on how safe somone feels, since you're more likely to witness a crime where the geographical concentration of crime is higher, but it's the crime / population stat that determines how likely you are of being subjected to a crime. This rate is lower in NYC than in most US cities.
mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #10
mad_nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan35
New York's large population really has nothing to do with it. Because EVERY city's crime rate is averaged out and put into an equation consisting of the amount of crimes and the amount of people and some other factors. New York City on paper is The safest big city in the US. In certain areas I'm sure it isn't all that safe....areas in Brooklyn, South Bronx and so on. But all those dangerous areas are averaged out and put together with some of the safer areas of NYC and out comes the final numbers (5.6 per 100,000 murder rate) which is the safest in the US.

Look at Los Angeles. 470 square miles...3,860,000 people. LA has its nice areas and it has it's really bad areas. LA's current murder rate is about 17.6 per 100,000 over 3x greater than NYC. One could say that NYC isn't all that safe because some areas of it are bad like Brooklyn area and South Bronx. But all-together NYC is safe because they take all parts...bad parts and good parts.

The same goes with here in Los Angeles. The average murder rate in the whole city is 17.6 per 100,000...in some areas it could be a lot less. Then again...in some areas, like Compton for example, the murder rate is 58.6 per 100,000 which is just about, if not THE highest in the US. So numbers all average each other out. Anyways...I'm done rambling.
Most of the bad parts in NYC have lower murder rates than LA on average in that case.
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #11
mad_nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfenn1117
There's a way to find out murders per year in any given neighborhood in any of the 5 boros. Hardly any in Staten Island, midtown/downtown Manhattan, my neighborhood, most of Queens, the north Bronx. But Wsh Hts/Harlem in Manhattan, Bushwick/ENY/Brownsville/Bed-Stuy in Bklyn, South Bronx except Throgs Neck, and Corona/Jackson Hts Queens are still somewhat dangerous.

From personal experience though, the streets are literally getting safer daily. Just don't be dumb and walk around Brownsville at 2 AM. In broad daylight all is well.
I don't know about the other areas, but Washington Heights is pretty safe, at least around the 170's.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:18 PM   #12
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 1

reading this, i'm not so sure if people realize saying south bronx is a really broad term..and can mean alot of different places

or even calling some of these neighborhoods dangerous..granted some like brownsville have had a bad rep for over 5 decades..and its effed up that these reps survive over time like this...most of the time its people who don't live in the neighborhood who f*ck up things

sfenn1117...there's alot of sh*t that goes down by the 241st station..and esp by the train yard right over there and it spills over into mt vernon...i'm not sure of the precint #, but wakefield was an impact precinct for awhile...but its gotten alot better in some ways..and worse in others....so I wouldn't really call all of the north bronx that safe of an area...
Third of a kind no está en línea   Reply With Quote