daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Florida

Florida Welcome to the sunshine state

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 732

2010 US Senate Race (Florida)

This thread was spurred from a 2008 local elections thread in the Tampa Forum. From here on out, all topics dealing with the Senate position being vacated by Mel Martinez will be posted here.

Moderators: Please merge any relevant posts from the "Vote Local" thread in the Tampa Forums to this thread.

AP: Sen. Mel Martinez will not seek re-election
Tuesday, December 2, 2008

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - A Republican party official says U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez of Florida will not seek a second term in 2010.

The official said Martinez was scheduled to make the announcement at a Tuesday morning press conference in Orlando.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to make the announcement.

Martinez was elected in 2004 after serving as the U.S. secretary for Housing and Urban Development for President George W. Bush.
Martinez' Biography - From His Web Site

Mel Martinez is a United States Senator from Florida, a Republican, a Cuban American, and the former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development under President George W. Bush.

Born in Cuba, he arrived in the U.S. at age 15.

Mel earned his undergraduate and law degrees from Florida State University, and went on to practice law for 25 years.

Today, Senator Martinez serves in the U.S. Senate and sits on the Armed Services committee, the Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs committee, and the Energy and Natural Resources committee.

He also serves on the Senate's Special Committee on Aging.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...ek+re-election
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #2
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Oh brother...

Former Speaker Rubio will seek U. S. Senate seat
Tuesday, May 5, 2009

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Former Republican House Speaker Marco Rubio will run for U.S. Senate.

Rubio, who formed an exploratory committee earlier this year, announces his plans in a video obtained by The Associated Press.

The video will be released on his campaign's web site Tuesday.

He's seeking the seat Republican Mel Martinez is leaving after one term. Rubio will be the first major Republican to get into the race.

Gov. Charlie Crist is also considering a run and will likely announce his 2010 political plans next week.

Rubio, a Miami-area lawyer, served as speaker for two years before leaving office last year.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All right reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...S.+Senate+seat

I don't like him....simple...
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #3
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 4858

Are all the candidates so far from Miami-Dade only?!

These are the ones I am aware of -

Marco Rubio (West Miami)
Dan Gelber (Miami Beach)
Kendrick Meek (Miami Gardens)
Kevin Burns (North Miami)

Last edited by Hia-leah JDM; May 6th, 2009 at 05:37 AM.
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #4
thehappysmith
Two-bit Hack

Likes (Received): 2

Well, you have to figure there'll be more Republicans, depending on what His Excellency decides to do. And possibly another Democrat, too, if Crist stays out and Iorio jumps in... they're both from the Bay area. How long has it been since there was a viable statewide candidate from North Florida?
thehappysmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #5
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Count Iorio OUT...

No Senate race in the future for Tampa mayor Pam Iorio
Monday, May 11, 2009

TAMPA (Bay News 9) -- Despite expressing interest in past months, Tampa mayor Pam Iorio announced Monday that she would not seek election as a U.S. Senator.

Iorio issued a statement, in which she said that she plans to stay in her current position until her term ends in March 2011, and that she will not seek the Senate seek vacated by Republican Sen. Mel Martinez.

"I believe that running both the city of Tampa and a statewide campaign at the same time over the next 18 months would shortchange the citizens of Tampa," the statement said.

She said she plans to focus on balancing the city's budget and her support of the light rail initiative.

She said she also does not plan to run for any other office this year.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...ayor+Pam+Iorio
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #6
Hia-leah JDM

Charlie Crist will jump in tomorrow.
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #7
HeartofFlorida

Likes (Received): 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
Charlie Crist will jump in tomorrow.
It's official......
HeartofFlorida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #8
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Yep.
Old August 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #9
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Sources: Sen. Mel Martinez to resign his seat
Friday, August 7, 2009

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Several senior GOP sources tell The Associated Press that Republican Sen. Mel Martinez of Florida will resign from the Senate this month, more than a year before his term ends.

Martinez planned a Friday afternoon announcement in Florida to officially divulge his plans. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to do so before his announcement.

Martinez already had said he would not seek re-election, but had fended off rumors that he would give up the seat early. His reasons for doing so were not immediately known.

His decision puts Republican Gov. Charlie Crist - who is running to replace Martinez - in charge of filling the seat in the interim.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...esign+his+seat
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #10
Hia-leah JDM

What's the rush?!
Old August 8th, 2009, 03:23 AM   #11
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

He won't say.....
Old August 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #12
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Sen. Martinez says he's resigning early

By CATHERINE DOLINSKI | The Tampa Tribune
and BAIRD HELGESON | The Tampa Tribune

Published: August 7, 2009

Updated: 08/07/2009 02:52 pm

U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez announced today that he will vacate his seat in the U.S. Senate, despite months of vowing not to resign early.

Gov. Charlie Crist gave no indication about who he will appoint to fill the term, other than to say he would not take the interim job himself. The Republican governor is already running for Martinez's seat in 2010.

"I want to make sure that whoever that person is, is somebody who first and foremost, cares about the people of Florida and will protect the public's trust and represent Florida with great pride," Crist said today at a brief news conference after a tour of MacDill Air Force Base.

Martinez, 62, said his resignation will be effective as soon as a successor is named.

The nation's first Cuban-American senator, he announced last December that he would not seek re-election. Though his voter approval ratings were low at the time, he said his reasons were personal and that he wanted to spend time with his family.

Today, Martinez gave the same reasons for departing early. He plans to return to the private sector but remain active within the Republican Party.

"My priorities have always been my faith, my family and my country and at this stage in my life, and after nearly twelve years of public service in Florida and Washington, it's time I return to Florida and my family," he wrote in a letter to supporters.

Crist praised Martinez's tenure in the Senate.

"He's a great friend and a great Floridian," the governor said. "He has served our people well. He is a man who has comported himself with great integrity and great honor … I know this is what he believes to be the best decision for himself and his family, and I certainly respect that."

U.S. Rep. Kendrick Meek, the lead Democratic contender for Martinez's seat in 2010, noted that, one day before resigning, the senator had cast one of only nine Republican votes to confirm the nation's first Hispanic U.S. Supreme Court justice.

"Senator Mel Martinez made history when he was elected to the U.S. Senate," said Meek, of Miami. "It is fitting that one of Senator Martinez's final votes was to confirm a history-making Supreme Court nominee, Judge Sonia Sotomayor, and I am so pleased that he cast this vote, one that I wholeheartedly support."

Martinez is the only Hispanic Republican in the Senate. In resigning, he leaves Robert Menendez, a New Jersey Democrat, as the only Hispanic senator.

The announcement fueled speculation about who will fulfill the remainder of Martinez's term. Early in the day, some political insiders said they believed that Crist would appoint former Attorney General Jim Smith.

"I'd go tomorrow," said Smith, 69, said in a telephone interview from Colorado Springs, Colo., where he was vacationing. "It would be a great way to end a public career."

Smith "should certainly be on that short list," said Al Cardenas, former chairman of the Republican Party of Florida, who also listed former U.S. Sen. Connie Mack and former House Speaker Allan Bense as possibilities. Former Gov. Bob Martinez's name popped up on the Washington Post's Web site and elsewhere as a strong possibility. Some close Crist associates, however, noted the former governor isn't likely because he has little history of supporting Crist.

"I've had no conversations about it with anybody," said Martinez, a former Tampa mayor. "The governor will do whatever he thinks is best. Whomever he chooses, I am going to be supportive of it."

Former House Speaker Marco Rubio, who is challenging Crist in the GOP primary for Senate, said via e-mail that the interim senator should be someone "who will go to Washington and serve as a true check on President Obama's push for more wasteful government spending, government-run health care and cap-and-trade."

In other words, someone not like Crist, said Alex Burgos, spokesman for Rubio, who is promoting himself as the more conservative choice in the primary. Burgos declined to propose any candidates for the interim post – other than Rubio.

Cardenas lauded Crist's decision not to jump into the position himself, though for different reasons.

"This state, like this nation, is not running on automatic, and needs leadership and attention," said Cardenas, who has endorsed Crist for Senate in 2010. "Under these circumstances, he needs to stay at the helm."

Despite Martinez's protestations this year that he would not quit early, Cardenas was not surprised by the reversal. "I think it's been a gradual process," he said. "It's been weighing on him … he's spent 12 years in public service, and wants to be with his family. "

A trial lawyer, Martinez arrived in Florida at age 15 as a refugee from the Castro regime, and was later joined by his parents. He became Orange County mayor in 1998; two years later, he was tapped by incoming President George W. Bush as secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

He won his Senate seat in 2004, narrowly defeating Betty Castor of Tampa. He and his wife, Kitty, have three grown children.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/aug...news-politics/
Old August 9th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #13
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 961

I wonder who Crist will appoint now? Also Martinez gave no reason for his early resignation that sounded credible.