SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mahratta's Showcase: Gent, Belgium

14K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  Benonie 
#1 ·
Hello all:

I visited a number of cities in Belgium, so I decided to start the photothreads for multiple cities at the same time. I'll be updating this thread along with the present one on Brussels. There will be more threads to come, too.

We took the intercity rail (very efficient and rather inexpensive) all around Belgium and the Netherlands. We stopped in Gent - here's the main station, Gent St. Pieters.

walking towards the Centrum

More to come. Cheers.

See less See more
#20 ·
^^ Apparently through time it has become completely impossible for you to take interest in any other Belgian city or town other than the one you live in :nuts: Just give the guy some time!

Mahratta, did you find the places & the snacks the people on the Belgian forum suggested to you? I hope you didn't find too many closed doors in Ghent: early august is when all the locals go on holidays and many bars and shops close for a week or two - because it's right after the july festival... I always find it a bit scary when I get home from vacation...

There are some really good pictures in this thread - and in the one you posted on Brussels too. Do you use an SLR, and if so: what type and what lens do you use?

#21 ·
Mahratta, did you find the places & the snacks the people on the Belgian forum suggested to you? I hope you didn't find too many closed doors in Ghent: early august is when all the locals go on holidays and many bars and shops close for a week or two - because it's right after the july festival... I always find it a bit scary when I get home from vacation...
Yeah, I found all the places recommended :) The city wasn't empty, but wasn't crowded at all either. I thought that was really good, especially since it was a pretty hot day...we could just relax along the Graslei without having to rush anywhere because of crowds (or tourists, like in Bruges). Most of the people I saw (I would assume from them speaking Flemish) were locals, and they were mainly concentrated along the outdoor cafes. Really nice :)

There are some really good pictures in this thread - and in the one you posted on Brussels too. Do you use an SLR, and if so: what type and what lens do you use?
Thanks! It means a lot coming from a local, and a great photographer too :)
I use a Nikon D60, and most of these were shot using the cheap 18-55mm (although I think it's an amazing lens for the price). However, I also used a Tiffen circular polarizer for most of the images since it was so sunny out.

#23 ·
Thermo, Antwerp pictures will come, but it was the last place we visited and photographed, so they will come after Gent, Bruges, Amsterdam, Leuven, Brussels...I'll try and hurry up:)

Yeah, the polarizer does make a big difference. It's really the first filter you should buy, although I bought a UV filter first, which I only use now when it's cloudy...
I see you're using HDR techniques for some of your images on flickr - what do you use for tone mapping?

More from the streets...

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.