daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > Trivandrum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #1061
beam

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri Man View Post
[B]

Me too vote for Trivandrum Technopark or Trivandrum Technocity rather than Kazhakkuttam Technopark.
The reason behind the neglecting of Kochu Veli station is its name.
eg:- a person from Bihar or WestBengal (viz.Railway Minister) ,may be a bit aware about Trivandrum,but not @ Kochu Veli or Kazhakkuttam.
Some people often confuse Kochu Veli with Kochi (some railway route boards shows it as Kochi Veli).
If it had been Trivandrum North or Trivandrum Kochu Veli,the development would have been faster.
This is not be treated as any regional biasing,but as a step for further development of the area.
I think you have some point here. Similar to our old Chennai central and Chennai Egmore, Mumbai Central and Mumbai CSTM, it can be Tvm central and Tvm Kochuveli. But if you see recently commissioned satellite stations like Hazrat Nizamudin, Yeshwantpur, Kacheguda, Lokmanya Tilak etc, Railways seem to have adopted an approach not to include main station name for satellite stations. Hence, million dollar question on which way to go..

As for express trains stop, I think it is better to develop a consensus.
Kazhakootam(13km from TVC) is closer to Technopark and other new IT setups in future that are coming up. Hence, there is bound to be traffic but may be restricted only to morning/evening hours. Please also be aware that whitefield railway station in outskirts of Bangalore is the nearest one to ITPL technology park, but none of the express trains seem to stop there.

Many organisations are asking for stop at Pettah (2km from TVC) for all express trains citing the Pettah Railway station is closer to city areas like medical college, vanchiyoor, palayam, etc. and may be used as an alternative for reducing congestion at Thampanoor.

Some people are asking for express trains stop at Kochuveli(6km from TVC) citing this is closest to airport and bypass road; also satellite terminal for new trains in future thereby rail connection from other parts.

I think once MEMU introduced, all these stations will be connected to TVC/KCVL frequently during peak hours and many of the issues may get solved. Thus, a consensus has to be arrived on stop/stops needed for express trains from TVC whether at Pettah, Kochuveli or Kazhakootam.
beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 17th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #1062
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Likes (Received): 54

[QUOTE=Tri Man;41374734]Cross Posted from Trivandrum Projects Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonypr View Post
Upgrade of Kazhakuttam railway station promised

Thiruvananthapuram: Minister of State for Railways E. Ahamed has promised steps to develop the railway station at Kazhakuttam to match the growth of the information technology sector in the area.

Mr. Ahamed assured the council that he would consider a proposal to change the name of the station to Kazhakuttam Technopark station.

http://www.hindu.com/2009/08/16/stor...1657910200.htm

Me too vote for Trivandrum Technopark or Trivandrum Technocity rather than Kazhakkuttam Technopark.
The reason behind the neglecting of Kochu Veli station is its name.
eg:- a person from Bihar or WestBengal (viz.Railway Minister) ,may be a bit aware about Trivandrum,but not @ Kochu Veli or Kazhakkuttam.
Some people often confuse Kochu Veli with Kochi (some railway route boards shows it as Kochi Veli).
If it had been Trivandrum North or Trivandrum Kochu Veli,the development would have been faster.
This is not be treated as any regional biasing,but as a step for further development of the area.
Yes Triman, very true.
We had been suggesting all these things. But the poor politicians, thy don't understand the gravity of things as their mindset is much narrow. May eb they think, if it is Kazhakuttom, they might get more votes from the Kazhakuttom constituency. And belive me, as long as the Kazhakuttom constituency is there, these guys are not gonna change the name of the RS, I think. They even liked to substitute the names like Trivandrum North, East & West constituencies with regional names.
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #1063
25Dude25
The Royal Capital

Likes (Received): 1280

News Courtesy: Expressbuzz
25Dude25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #1064
BabuCS
C. S. Babu

Likes (Received): 126

ii

Last edited by BabuCS; August 18th, 2009 at 02:13 AM. Reason: duplicate
BabuCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #1065
BabuCS
C. S. Babu

Likes (Received): 126

fellah..next door

Last edited by BabuCS; August 18th, 2009 at 03:35 AM.
BabuCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #1066
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25Dude25 View Post

News Courtesy: Expressbuzz
Yes, Trivandrum had been centre to promote Cycle Polo for the past few decades. Poojappuram Stadium had contributed a number of Champions.
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #1067
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by beam View Post
But if you see recently commissioned satellite stations like Hazrat Nizamudin, Yeshwantpur, Kacheguda, Lokmanya Tilak etc, Railways seem to have adopted an approach not to include main station name for satellite stations. Hence, million dollar question on which way to go..
The State Govt has the absoulte authority of naming of the stations. What Railway does is they normally give the default name to that station.

I had written in 2005 or so to the SR HQ regarding renaming of Kochuveli to Trivandrum Kochuveli with code as TVK. So the main city stations would be having similar codes TVC, TVP & TVK. I got reply from them saying that they do not have any issue in this, but the request has to come from State Govt. There is some 'naming' committee or so which gives proposals to SR in this regard.

Now organisations like TDF has to make a move regarding this. Ram, Chandru, Ajay, are you listening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beam View Post
Many organisations are asking for stop at Pettah (2km from TVC) for all express trains citing the Pettah Railway station is closer to city areas like medical college, vanchiyoor, palayam, etc. and may be used as an alternative for reducing congestion at Thampanoor.
I think most of the express trains in the 'down' direction has stop in Pettah. (I was a regular commuter for 6 years till 2000- One year in KTYM-TVC sector & Five years in QLN-TVC sector).

And we have to prioritise, otherwise there are more chances of loosing seriousness and letters getting in to waste baskets. The need of the hour is to rename Kochuveli. Nemom may follow when it becomes a coaching centre. Not much need for Kazhakuttom as it is more like a halt station for passenger trains and the future MEMUs. I don't think express trains should be given a stop in Kazhakuttom as it will further delay them. I do not expect the techies to come with luggage and alight directly at Kazhukuttom. But yes, there are daily commuters to the Kollam side, they can make use of MEMU's/Passengers. Years back when SR Discussion forum was active, there were requests for stoppage of Malabar exp in the 'UP' direction (evening) since it was comfortable for many. I think it had stop in the 'down' direction (morning).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #1068
vinod/kakka

Likes (Received): 269

All short distance EXPs - within Kerala and to Mangalore can stop in KZM.

As a long range alternative, the "slow-express" trains could have a stop every 15 kms. What would be ideal for most trains would be to remove the Kadakkavur stop (Chirayinkizh is just 3 kms away), and instead stop at Kazhakoottam.

The issue here is that Kerala does not seem to have a plan in integrating Bus and Rail transports using Multi Modal interchange points. For MEMU to be successful (More frequency etc), the interchange has to be easy. Currently, most stations in Kerala are not near bus stations. In Trivandrum, except TVC, Chirayikizh and Varkala, most local stations are almost inaccessible.

Last edited by vinod/kakka; August 18th, 2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: correction
vinod/kakka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #1069
beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
The State Govt has the absoulte authority of naming of the stations. What Railway does is they normally give the default name to that station. I had written in 2005 or so to the SR HQ regarding renaming of Kochuveli to Trivandrum Kochuveli with code as TVK. So the main city stations would be having similar codes TVC, TVP & TVK. I got reply from them saying that they do not have any issue in this, but the request has to come from State Govt.

The need of the hour is to rename Kochuveli. Nemom may follow when it becomes a coaching centre.
Thanx for the info. Yes, I do remember years back when state govt. changed name of cities like Trivandrum to Thiruvananthapuram, Quilon to Kollam, Calicut to kozhikode etc, So, you are right the state govt. is the authority to propose names of places for stations.

I think the name "Trivandrum Kochuveli" is very apt as it implies kochuveli is a rail terminal of Thiruvananthapuram and not some place near kochi as some tourists may tend to think.

I clearly remember boarding Bangalore-Kochuveli express some time back when the Bangalore railway station announced something like Kochi express and display in station written as Bangalore Kochi-velli express.

Quote:
I think most of the express trains in the 'down' direction has stop in Pettah.
And we have to prioritise, otherwise there are more chances of loosing seriousness and letters getting in to waste baskets. Not much need for Kazhakuttom as it is more like a halt station for passenger trains and the future MEMUs.
True, many down express trains has stop at pettah, I welcome that but not all of them have stop here. I think a stop at Pettah for both up/down express trains except Rajdhani may be helpful in long run for pax from several city areas like medical college, general hospital, etc. This may be similar to stops at Bangalore city and Bangalore cantonment for all express trains.

Also, many times trains are made to wait at outer of TVC for want of platforms. This may be avoided by a stop at Pettah.

Quote:
I don't think express trains should be given a stop in Kazhakuttom as it will further delay them. I do not expect the techies to come with luggage and alight directly at Kazhukuttom. But yes, there are daily commuters to the Kollam side, they can make use of MEMU's/Passengers.
Though many may not agree, I do feel the same. With MEMU, most of the issues of connectivity with Kazhakootam may go off and no need may arise to stops for all express trains here. But definitely I support considering stops for slow express trains like Malabar, Parashuram, Venad etc. at Kazhakootam.
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #1070
Tri Man

Likes (Received): 549

There is yet another nomenclature as Chattrapati Shivaji Terminus(CST) Mumbai.
Similarly,in Kerala context Kochu Veli can be named as Vikram Sarabhai Terminus (this will not hurt the sentiments of the local votebanks and also a honour for VSSC),Sree Chitra Terminus,Travancore Terminus,EMS terminus,..........

Last edited by Tri Man; August 20th, 2009 at 09:44 AM.
Tri Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #1071
sudheeshnairs

Better not to bring name of any 'person'. No deviation required from the base name 'Trivandrum'.

Who said 'local' people will not object if the name 'Kochuveli' is removed??

We need only Trivandrum International Airport, Trivandrum Central, Trivandrum Kochuveli Terminus etc.

Old August 20th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #1072
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabuCS View Post
Om, Varkalaaye Namah !
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #1073
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:

I think most of the express trains in the 'down' direction has stop in Pettah. (I was a regular commuter for 6 years till 2000- One year in KTYM-TVC sector & Five years in QLN-TVC sector).
Yes. Only on the 'down journeys' such sorts of stoppage is required inorder to divert the sudden passenger outflow (Am I right with the term?).

We even have a very much similar system being operational in KSRTC for the past few decades in respect of the Trivandrum City Service Buses. All the Limited Stop and the Fast Passenger City service buses do have a board stating "Madakka Yaathrayil Over Bridge".
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #1074
beam

Translated:

Vanchiyoor former collectorate building auctioned

Former collectorate building at Vanchiyoor earmarked for high court bench comprising 60 cents of land is order'ed to be auctioned off by Attingal sub-court!!!

The price of land acquired for Kaniyapuram KSRTC bus depot comprising 10 cents of land was not paid for past 14 years and the landowner went to court for justice.

http://www.mathrubhumi.com/php/newFr...ory_id=3&Farc=

Last edited by beam; August 20th, 2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #1075
beam

Disappointing news from past Mathrubhumi newspaper report translated below:

Sports minister Shri M. Vijayakumar quoted as saying "No national games 2010 event to be held at Vattiyoorkavu polytechnic ground. Main stadium could not be built at Vattiyoorkavu due to technical issues."
--------------------------------------------

Has somebody any idea whether this report is true? I donot remember having seen in other newspapers.

Last edited by beam; August 20th, 2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #1076
vinodtnt
Trivandrum Lobby

Likes (Received): 421

Jewellery chains sustain glitter despite slowdown

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Jewellery chains are attracting not just prying eyes of shoplifters, but even the envy of other sectors amidst the current
slowdown, given the manner in which business is perking up.

Leading jewellery chains from Kerala which have their networks spread across south India and extends to international markets, are in expansion mode, with one of them setting up a 5-storey jewellery showroom here that could be the biggest of its kind in the state. ....

Bhima has a 17-strong network of jewellery stores spread across Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, and will add one store each at Thiruvananthapuram, Coimbatore, Palakkad and Thirunelveli in the coming months.

ET
vinodtnt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #1077
sudheeshnairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleelmalik View Post

Om, Varkalaaye Namah !
R u serious? This is not Varakala Radhakrishnan. Babu had made it clear in the post 'title'.

This is 'namma BSY' (B S Yedyurappa, 'my' Chief Minister)

Old August 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #1078
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:
R u serious? This is not Varakala Radhakrishnan. Babu had made it clear in the post 'title'.

This is 'namma BSY' (B S Yedyurappa, 'my' Chief Minister)
Trivandrum forum thil vananthu kondu did not check well.
Padam Kanda udan kayari adichu.

Ayyo thullu. Chammi Chammy. Ente Mukhathaake Manja velicham kando?

Just a superficial glance of the picture I had. Anyhow, annan LS yil urangunna kaaryathil mosham allayirunnu.

Onnu morph cheyyunno? BS ne VR aakkam.
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #1079
beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod/kakka View Post

The issue here is that Kerala does not seem to have a plan in integrating Bus and Rail transports using Multi Modal interchange points. For MEMU to be successful (More frequency etc), the interchange has to be easy. Currently, most stations in Kerala are not near bus stations. In Trivandrum, except TVC, Chirayikizh and Varkala, most local stations are almost inaccessible.
Good point. You missed Pettah which is near to bus stop similar to that in Varkala. The drawback is that most of these stations are away from main roads and hence no bus services. But it is a must that Kerala govt. run KSRTC bus services and allow private buses to local stations to match with the train timings where MEMU serves.
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #1080
beam

Quote:
We need only Trivandrum International Airport, Trivandrum Central, Trivandrum Kochuveli Terminus etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri Man View Post
Similarly,in Kerala context Kochu Veli can be named as Vikram Sarabhai Terminus (this will not hurt the sentiments of the local votebanks and also a honour for VSSC),Sree Chitra Terminus,Travancore Terminus,EMS terminus,..........
Many of us may remember how adding a name for Tvm airport failed in recent past. The airport was started by the erstwhile Maharaja Sree Chitra Tirunal, many in Tvm wanted his name added but the Nayanar Govt. at that time ( I think so) wanted VK Krishna Menon's name added because of his national importance. Finally, the Govt. didnot reach consensus to add a name for the airport and left it as Trivandrum International Airport.

As for Kochuveli railway station, there is no contribution from the ex-maharaja, Vikram Sarabhai or EMS, hence any name may be skipped.

Thus, I too agree with Trivandrum central, Trivandrum Pettah, Trivandrum kochuveli and Trivandrum Nemom (once the operating centre at nemom starts functional).