daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > Trivandrum

Old August 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #1081
beam

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
We need only Trivandrum International Airport, Trivandrum Central, Trivandrum Kochuveli Terminus etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri Man View Post
Similarly,in Kerala context Kochu Veli can be named as Vikram Sarabhai Terminus (this will not hurt the sentiments of the local votebanks and also a honour for VSSC),Sree Chitra Terminus,Travancore Terminus,EMS terminus,..........
Many of us may remember how adding a name for Tvm airport failed in recent past. The airport was started by the erstwhile Maharaja Sree Chitra Tirunal, many in Tvm wanted his name added but the Nayanar Govt. at that time ( I think so) wanted VK Krishna Menon's name added because of his national importance. Finally, the Govt. didnot reach consensus to add a name for the airport and left it as Trivandrum International Airport.

As for Kochuveli railway station, there is no contribution from the ex-maharaja, Vikram Sarabhai or EMS, hence any name may be skipped.

Thus, I too agree with Trivandrum central, Trivandrum Pettah, Trivandrum kochuveli and Trivandrum Nemom (once the operating centre at nemom starts functional).
beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 20th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #1082
Gopal.K.Kumar

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by beam View Post
Thanx for the info. Yes, I do remember years back when state govt. changed name of cities like Trivandrum to Thiruvananthapuram, Quilon to Kollam, Calicut to kozhikode etc, So, you are right the state govt. is the authority to propose names of places for stations.

I think the name "Trivandrum Kochuveli" is very apt as it implies kochuveli is a rail terminal of Thiruvananthapuram and not some place near kochi as some tourists may tend to think.

I clearly remember boarding Bangalore-Kochuveli express some time back when the Bangalore railway station announced something like Kochi express and display in station written as Bangalore Kochi-velli express.

True, many down express trains has stop at pettah, I welcome that but not all of them have stop here. I think a stop at Pettah for both up/down express trains except Rajdhani may be helpful in long run for pax from several city areas like medical college, general hospital, etc. This may be similar to stops at Bangalore city and Bangalore cantonment for all express trains.

Also, many times trains are made to wait at outer of TVC for want of platforms. This may be avoided by a stop at Pettah.

Though many may not agree, I do feel the same. With MEMU, most of the issues of connectivity with Kazhakootam may go off and no need may arise to stops for all express trains here. But definitely I support considering stops for slow express trains like Malabar, Parashuram, Venad etc. at Kazhakootam.
In the past, there had been many a debate, demonstration, violent activity and what not by different sections of the society demanding stop for trains at various stations.

In my view there are 2 different categories of trains. A long haul one and the other a short distance. The trains originating from places like Delhi, Calcutta, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai etc are in my view long haul trains. The others like trains running between Cochin, Calicut, Nagarcoil, Kanyakumari etc. and Trivandrum fits into the category of short distance trains.

While many argue that long haul trains should have stops at many a station to facilitate travelers to disembark close to their home, I wonder if any body has ever considered the ordeal they may be creating for travelers boarding from places quite far from destination. The train leaving Delhi to Trivandrum goes OK till it crosses over from Tamil Nadu to Kerala. After that it is a nightmare. Every other hour or less than that you have a stop. This is quite an inconvenience to long distance travelers who have boarded the train a couple of days back

In my opinion long haul trains to Trivandrum should stop only at Palghat, Cochin/ Ernakulam and then Trivandrum Central.
Gopal.K.Kumar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #1083
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal.K.Kumar View Post
In my opinion long haul trains to Trivandrum should stop only at Palghat, Cochin/ Ernakulam and then Trivandrum Central.
When you are a resident of Trivandrum, it will feel ok for you. Please put yourselves in the shoes of a person from Kollam, Chengannur, Kottayam or Thrissur.

Everybody is free to have his own opinions, but what gets in to practice is what is acceptable to the state as a whole as well as based on 'practicality'. Also Railway needs 'money' too, which the intermediate stations contribute much. In Kerala, traffic is evenly distributed unlike other states.

As I said earlier, I had been a season ticket traveller for about 6 years, in the QLN-TVC/KTYM-TVC sector. Also I use to take plenty of travel in ERS-TVC section post 2000, as well as some long distance journeys before migrating to air travel by 2006.

I happened to travel by Bangalore- Trivandrum Garib Rath, (YPR-KCVL) some months back. Unlike other trains, Graib Rath normally has plenty of seats and gets full only towards the day of travel. The compartment was packed when it left YPR. The next morning after the train got in to Kerala, the occupancy began to trickle down. Even before Kollam, there were only about 10 people including me and wife in our compartment which housed 78 till morning. So a major share of passengers had alighted at Trissur, Kottayam and Chengannur, apart from Palakkad and Ernakulam.

During my 6 years of daily commuting prior to 2000, since we get in to the train duing the last leg of journey(QLN-TVC), we were able to get in to most sleeper class coaches since the occupancy trickles down. I am not saying that Trivandrum is not having any passengers. It would be the highest in Kerala. But Kollam, Kayamkulam, Mavelikkara, Chengannur, Tiruvalla, Changanassery, Kottayam, Aluva, Ankamaly, Chalakudy, Trissur, etc have almost substantial traffic.

The grand total of passengers who are alighting at the other stations starting from Kottayam towards South till Kollam would be more when compared with those alighting at Trivandrum alone. Please don’t think that they should get down at Ernakulam with all luggage and then toil for 2-3 more hours to reach their destination.

I have travelled many times in the last one and half years in the Bangalore- Trissur route for my Guruvayoor temple visits. You have suggested Palakkad as a stop and omitted Trissur. For your information, Trissur handles many times more traffic than Palakkad.

Another point of concern is the ‘technical’ things associated with railway signalling and traffic. We have seen suggestions here itself that some trains should have stop in Pettah, Kazhakuttam etc. In fact the speed of train gets affected when it has stops like this and not when there are stops some 40-60 km apart.

We have seen requests for stop for Rajadhani Exp at Kollam. On a technical point of view I do not think a 3 minute stop at Kollam will affect the overall speed of Rajdhani because of the geographical nature of Kollam railway station. The railway line is exactly in the shape of a ‘horse shoe’, the direction changes 180 degrees when the train pass Kollam from Trivandrum. (A train moving towards north, turns direction towards east and runs parallel to the Kollam-Shencottah line(towards east) for some 4-5 kms and then turn to North.) Because of this, the train would be ‘crawling’ through this section, and practically most cases have a ‘technical’ (not scheduled) stop. Kollam is one of few stations which has Outer cabins for train control. Some might have noticed ‘North Cabin’ and ‘South Cabin’. These cabins are there in stations where the lines would be difficult to be controlled from the Station Master's room itself because of its ‘extend’ as well as geographical features.

I have always thought that the day/commuter trains should be fast and only necessary stops should be there. Because a person who commutes daily for work or business would be more tied with up with time. We used to go to Ernakulam for office related work and come back the same day in Jan Shatabdi. In such instances, speed and punctuality of trains matter much. Intercity/Vachinad/Jan Shatabdi etc will be having passengers who have to keep time at Offices/Educational institutions. Compared with this, a long distance traveller would not be much worried about time. Say last time, Garib Rath should have reached KCVL by 12.30 PM, but it was about 1.30 PM or so when it finally pulled up at the destination. It didn’t matter much to me. Whereas when I was daily commuting to Kollam by Jayanti Janta (Anyway it was also a looooong distance train which was served as a commuter train in QLN-TVC sector) which would reach Kollam by 8.45 AM, being late mattered much for me since my classes for MBA at TKM Institute of Management would start by 9.30 AM.

Quote:
The train leaving Delhi to Trivandrum goes OK till it crosses over from Tamil Nadu to Kerala. After that it is a nightmare. Every other hour or less than that you have a stop.
Friend, the train from Delhi to Trivandrum a.k.a Kerala Express is the train for the whole state of Kerala and not exclusive for Ernakulam or Trivandrum. I cannot agree with the statement that it is 'OK till Tamilnadu and after that it is a nightmare'. It is primarily intended for the people of Kerala and hence it stops in more stations once it enters Kerala. For this reason only that train is not having much stops outside Kerala. The time you may save by skipping many 'needed' stops would not be substantial for a person who has already sat in the train for about 3 days. He can afford to lose some more minutes.

Infact we should take pride in the fact that Kerala, unlike other states is equally developed and its population is equally distributed throughout its length, so more stops. We should try to see it in that angle.

Last edited by sudheeshnairs; August 20th, 2009 at 09:00 PM.
sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 05:39 AM   #1084
beam

Quote:

While many argue that long haul trains should have stops at many a station to facilitate travelers to disembark close to their home, I wonder if any body has ever considered the ordeal they may be creating for travelers boarding from places quite far from destination. The train leaving Delhi to Trivandrum goes OK till it crosses over from Tamil Nadu to Kerala. After that it is a nightmare. Every other hour or less than that you have a stop. This is quite an inconvenience to long distance travelers who have boarded the train a couple of days back

Yes, I know how it feels like when you travel for 2 nights/days by Kerala express and finally on 3rd day you have to go through the pain of enduring innumerable stops before reaching the final destination . I have traveled several times between Delhi/CDG to TVC in 1990’s. Especially just by the time you enter Palghat, you are real exhausted and sick after 2 days of travel; then you see the train crawling like snail with stops every now and then , many times I felt like jumping out of the train and taking a bus or taxi further!!

The real problem lies in the fact that there are insufficient number of trains to TVC. Look at Chennai, they have two set of trains between MAS and Delhi, GT express with many stops in-between and Tamilnadu express, with very few stops enroute. GT express takes care of intermediate passenger needs whereas TN express caters to Chennai passengers with a fast and convenient train to Delhi. It is unfortunate that TVC , being the southernmost state capital city,has not got such a golden pair of trains to many important destinations which would have relieved its problems.

Coming back, we have only one daily train between TVM and Delhi which is supposed to take care of TVC as well as intermediate passengers. Unless another fast daily train in the same route of Kerala express is run, it remains a dream only for TVC passengers to get a fast/convenient train to Delhi.

Similarly, there is only one daily train from TVC to SBC, namely Kanaykumari-Bangalore express. The timings are not at all convenient for TVC passengers but have to live with it because intermediate passengers need connectivity too!! The real problem is that there is no second daily train between TVC and Bangalore. Such a second daily train, if introduced with fast/convenient timings would have been a hit, but Railways seemed to have neglected that. Instead what we see is some odd number of junk weekly trains with inconvenient timings for TVC thereby we can see the poor passenger patronage on the last leg.

Last edited by beam; August 23rd, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1085
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Many of us may remember how adding a name for Tvm airport failed in recent past. The airport was started by the erstwhile Maharaja Sree Chitra Tirunal, many in Tvm wanted his name added but the Nayanar Govt. at that time ( I think so) wanted VK Krishna Menon's name added because of his national importance. Finally, the Govt. didnot reach consensus to add a name for the airport and left it as Trivandrum International Airport.

As for Kochuveli railway station, there is no contribution from the ex-maharaja, Vikram Sarabhai or EMS, hence any name may be skipped.

Thus, I too agree with Trivandrum central, Trivandrum Pettah, Trivandrum kochuveli and Trivandrum Nemom (once the operating centre at nemom starts functional).
Please correct me, if I am wrong. It was during Sree Moolam Thirunal's period (1885 to 1924) that the Trivandrum got into the railway map. He being a more 'people caring' ruler, did not let the railway line go beyond Kochu Veli. The justification for avoiding the railway station inside the city was that 'to avoid loss of property of his people and to provide them with a peaceful night life'.

However, after his term, the line was extended upto Thampanoor & the Trivandrum Central was made (1931). So if we think from this angle, may be Sree Chithira Thirunal reduced the importance of Kochuveli.

I support Trivandrum Cantonment for Pettah (as the term Cantonment suits not only Palayam, but also Pettah), Trivandrum Airport (Kochuveli) and Trivandrum South (Nemom). Veli should be Space City stop (forget the fact that Veli has only stops for Passenger Trains) and Kazhakuttom should be Trivandrum Technocity. Vikram Sara Bhai might not had contributed directly for the cause of the Kochuveli Railway Station, but indirectly it is his brain that indirectly for the regional economic development of that tract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riva_Philip View Post
Jaleel,

That means, some parts of Venganoor panchayat (as shown in map) is now part of TVM corporation, right?

I agree, Chettivilakam is renamed as Kudappanakunnu. However I want to ask a question to clear my doubt. Is Kudappanakunnu and Chettivilakam are two names for a single place, or these are two different places in a single panchayat called Kudappanakunnu?

I think, both Kovalam and Vizhinjam are two places in Vizhinjam panchayat. Likewise Sreekaryam, Pangappara and Uliyazhthura are part of Sreekaryam panchayat and Kazhakkuttam, Menamkulam and Irooppara are parts of Kazhakkuttam panchayat.
No, not even a single part of Venganoor Panchayt was merged with Trivandrum City Corporation earlier. However, Venganoor had boundaries with the erstwhile Thiruvallom Panchayat, which was merged with Trivandrum City Corporation in 2000. I think you are not clear with my previous posting. Don't worry, i will just post a rough sketch after some time.

Coming to the multiple names of Villages and Panchayats, let me explain as follows. It is not necessarily that the jurisdiction of a Panchayat and a Village should be the same. The geographical boundaries for a Panchayat and Village might be entirely different. Some Panchayats have more than one Villages. There is also overlapping in case of some others. Villages are under the Revenue Department and Grama Panchayats are under the LSG.

BTW, Panchayats cover forest area too, while the Villages have no jurisdiction over a forest land. Let us take the case of Peringammala and Vithura Panchayats, which has got extensive forest land under them. The tribal population has vote and they are covered by the welfare activities of the Panchayats (all the three tiers). However, a Village Officer operating in Vithura or Peringammala Panchayat has no authority over the people living in the forest. Similarly, the Tehsildar of Nedumangad and even the District Collector of Trivandrum has no say, as far as the land of the tribal people is concerned.

Let me explain this in respect of Trivandrum District. Kulathummal is a Village that covers the land area under Kattakkada. Poovachal Panchayat has Perumkulam and Veeranakave Villages. Malayinkil Panchayat was once having a village by name Marukil. Marukil was renamed as Malayinkil. So was the case of Chettivilakom, which was renamed as Kudappanakkunnu.

Vizhinjam Grama Panchayat has many wards. Kovalam is one of the wards.

Trivandrum City Corporation has a number of villages.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM   #1086
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Villages of Trivandrum District

http://www.trivandrum.gov.in/trivand...4-village-chrl

http://www.trivandrum.gov.in/trivand...16-village-ndd

http://www.trivandrum.gov.in/trivand...15-village-nta

http://www.trivandrum.gov.in/trivand.../413?task=view

Hello thread captains & layanam champions,

Please click the above links to get the authentic information about the Villages of Trivandrum District. Kindly do not again mix up the village affair with the City Corporation. Only Grama Panchayats and Municipalities or their parts (Wards / Divisions) could be merged with a City Corporation.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 01:11 PM   #1087
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Trivandrum City Corporation Vs Vizhinjam & Venganoor Panchayats

Forum Captains,

Please see the picture below. Sorry for the messy picture, as this is the only option that I do have at this time. May be we shall have a neat picture later.

It is evident from the picture that the Trivandrum Corporation shares boundaries with Venganoor and Vizhinjam Panchayats. So we stop the arguments here.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:18 AM   #1088
BabuCS
C. S. Babu

Likes (Received): 54

I thought Ajay has made this point clear with an authentic map. I am posting it here again.

One can see a clear linkage between TVM corporation and Vizhinjam panchayat. Message for Capt. Riva is simple ..don't grab maps from here and there and start merging panchayats on that basis.. any 3 year old child can do this.. but to make that meaningful you must have a clear knowledge of the place in terms of its geography and demography. Period.

Last edited by BabuCS; August 23rd, 2009 at 05:42 AM.
BabuCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:18 AM   #1089
satsk3

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Coming back, we have only one daily train between TVM and Delhi which is supposed to take care of TVC as well as intermediate passengers. Unless another fast daily train in the same route of Kerala express is run, it remains a dream only for TVC passengers to get a fast/convenient train to Delhi.
Now we have total 7 Trains from Trivandrum (TVC & KCVL) to New Delhi. SIX Exp Trains and ONE Rajdhani
Two of them ends/starts from New Delhi(NDLS & NZM) (KERALA EXPRESS & SWARNA JAYANTI) while other Four Trains Pass through New Delhi (DEHRADUN-KOCHUVELI SUP EXP, AMRITSAR JN-KOCHUVELI EXP, CHANDIGARH-KOCHUVELI SAMPARK KRANTI EXP, JAMMU TAWI-KANYAKUMARI HIMSAGAR EXP)

CDG-KCVL S.K EXP, ASR-KCVL EXP, DDN-KCVL SUP EXP & TVC-NZM Rajdhani trains are Fast & Convenient routes to Delhi because it pass through KONKAN and I think you will get Two or Three trains a day to New Delh from TVC except Thursday

Quote:
Similarly, there is only one daily train from TVC to SBC, namely Kanaykumari-Bangalore express. The timings are not at all convenient for TVC passengers but have to live with it because intermediate passengers need connectivity too!! The real problem is that there is no second daily train between TVC and Bangalore. Such a second daily train, if introduced with fast/convenient timings would have been a hit, but Railways seemed to have neglected that. Instead what we see is some odd number of junk weekly trains with inconvenient timings for TVC thereby we can see the poor passenger patronage on the last leg.
Actually the Problem lies there with the train Timings. All the time a train cannot be in a right time because there is hundreds of trains running is India and we have to give the time to those also.

If we can adjust timings, then we have 3 Trains to SBC and One each Passes through YPR & BWT and this will make 2 Trains a day except Monday
satsk3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:42 AM   #1090
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabuCS View Post

I thought Ajay has made this point clear with an authentic map. I am posting it here again.

One can see a clear linkage between TVM corporation and Vizhinjam panchayat. Message for Capt. Riva is simple ..don't grab maps from here and there and start merging panchayats on that basis.. any 3 year old child can do this.. but to make that meaningful you must have a clear knowledge of the place in terms of its geography and demography. Period.
Yaethu Kappithaanum cheyyavunna kaaryam.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:31 PM   #1091
beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by satsk3 View Post
------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by beam

----------------------------------------------------------

Now we have total 7 Trains from Trivandrum (TVC & KCVL) to New Delhi. SIX Exp Trains and ONE Rajdhani
Please read my posting carefully, I said presently there is only one daily train from TVC to Delhi, namely Kerala express and there is a need for fast/convenient second train in the same route as Kerala express for TVC passengers. Please donot mix weekly with daily trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satsk3 View Post

------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by beam

-----------------------------------------------------------

Actually the Problem lies there with the train Timings. All the time a train cannot be in a right time because there is hundreds of trains running is India and we have to give the time to those also.

If we can adjust timings, then we have 3 Trains to SBC and One each Passes through YPR & BWT and this will make 2 Trains a day except Monday
Please again read my posting carefully and donot again mix weekly with daily trains.

Please note that daily trains convenient to TVC passengers also needed to important destinations along with those hundreds of trains running. The existing daily train - Island express reaches TVC in the evening , thus a passenger loosing a whole working day. I dont think many passengers may prefer to use this train to TVC from SBC instead they may opt other means of travel .

Instead of adjusting timings of existing trains etc, why not introduce a new daily train in TVC-SBC sector?.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM   #1092
beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleelmalik View Post
Please correct me, if I am wrong. It was during Sree Moolam Thirunal's period (1885 to 1924) that the Trivandrum got into the railway map. He being a more 'people caring' ruler, did not let the railway line go beyond Kochu Veli. The justification for avoiding the railway station inside the city was that 'to avoid loss of property of his people and to provide them with a peaceful night life'.

However, after his term, the line was extended upto Thampanoor & the Trivandrum Central was made (1931). So if we think from this angle, may be Sree Chithira Thirunal reduced the importance of Kochuveli.
As far as Iam aware, the railway line from Kollam terminated at Chakka rubber works site (present air india hangar) and was later extended to Thampanoor. The Thampanoor railway station building was opened in 1932 by erstwhile Maharani Sethu Lakshmi Bai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleelmalik View Post
I support Trivandrum Cantonment for Pettah (as the term Cantonment suits not only Palayam, but also Pettah), Trivandrum Airport (Kochuveli) and Trivandrum South (Nemom). Veli should be Space City stop (forget the fact that Veli has only stops for Passenger Trains) and Kazhakuttom should be Trivandrum Technocity.
I dont think the locals/authorities may support removing the local name of Kochuveli to Tvm airport , Kazhakootam to Technocity etc. May be in the station boards, something like the following may be added " Alight here for Technopark or airport" and so forth. Otherwise, Unnecessarily more controversies may arise by these proposals and may never get through.

Hence, I feel better to stick with local station names with prefix trivandrum added. Thus "Trivandrum Kochuveli" similar to "Trivandrum Pettah" etc.. may be the least controversial way to go...
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:43 PM   #1093
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:
As far as Iam aware, the railway line from Kollam terminated at Chakka rubber works site (present air india hangar) and was later extended to Thampanoor. The Thampanoor railway station building was opened in 1932 by erstwhile Maharani Sethu Lakshmi Bai.

I dont think the locals/authorities may support removing the local name of Kochuveli to Tvm airport , Kazhakootam to Technocity etc. May be in the station boards, something like the following may be added " Alight here for Technopark or airport" and so forth. Otherwise, Unnecessarily more controversies may arise by these proposals and may never get through.

Hence, I feel better to stick with local station names with prefix trivandrum added. Thus "Trivandrum Kochuveli" similar to "Trivandrum Pettah" etc.. may be the least controversial way to go...
Yes, Biju. I agree.
Reg the erstwhile Trivandrum Station too, I think the information as provided by you is correct.
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #1094
symontk

Likes (Received): 16

[QUOTE=beam;41567524]

QUOTE]

Vikram Sarabhai was the one who proposed the Veli (then called Thumba station) for the convenience of VSSC employess. He laid the foundation stone a day before his death. Trivandrum lost a benefactor after his death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikram_Sarabhai

Death
Vikram Sarabhai died on 31 December 1971 at Kovalam, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was visiting Thiruvananthapuram to attend the foundation stone laying ceremony of the Thumba railway station.

Also this is my first post in Skyscraper city. I was born in trivandrum and was living there until my career started. Way to go trivandrumites!!
symontk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #1095
25Dude25
The Royal Capital

Likes (Received): 786

Ganapathy festival celebrations at the Pazhavangadi Ganapathy Temple, Trivandrum

Image Courtesy: Kerala Kaumudi
25Dude25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #1096
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

[QUOTE=symontk;41727792]
Quote:

QUOTE]

Vikram Sarabhai was the one who proposed the Veli (then called Thumba station) for the convenience of VSSC employess. He laid the foundation stone a day before his death. Trivandrum lost a benefactor after his death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikram_Sarabhai

Death
Vikram Sarabhai died on 31 December 1971 at Kovalam, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was visiting Thiruvananthapuram to attend the foundation stone laying ceremony of the Thumba railway station.

Also this is my first post in Skyscraper city. I was born in trivandrum and was living there until my career started. Way to go trivandrumites!!
Hi Symon, welcome to the forum.
How come this strange spelling? !!!

That night, he was staying at the Halcyon Castle at the Kovalam Asok Beach Resort.

(Halcyon Castle has 4 super luxury suits, 2 on the ground floor and two on the first floor. Only very very VVIPs do stay there. It used to be the Presidents & Prime Ministers of India, Top Business Magnets & Film Stars who stayed there. Otherwise, it might be some rich foreigners. During the period while I was with KABR - 2000-'01, Dileep Kumar & Saira Banu stayed there for a week and I got the opportunity to meet and chat with both of them for a few minutes. The daily rent was to the tune of INR. 35 to 40 K per night. Still once an Arab Prince stayed there for over 3 months continuously).

Early next morning, Vikram Sara Bhai's body was found on the steps that lead from the first floor to the upper terrace. Even today, the hotel employees never work alone on the first floor of Halcyon Castle. Many stories like "some invisible force hit me" & like that are in there in the grape vine.

There are so many stories behind the suspicious death of this great scientist. (Five years prior to this, India lost another prominent scientist in an accidental death - Air India crash on the Alps - This death is also supposed to be a suspicious one). BTW, during the Alps Air Crash, Trivandrum too had a loss . Hassan Marikar, the founder of the Marikar Motors was also there in the ill fated Air India Boeing.
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #1097
scorpiogenius
K e e p W a l k i n g

Likes (Received): 96

yeah, thats Air India Flight 101. I think Dr. Homi Bhabha also died in that accident.

I've been to Mont Blanc, on the Swiss side while in Geneva. One of the hotel staff, a Keralite, was talking about this accident and that the glacier was spewing out the remains of the aircraft until a few years ago.
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #1098
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiogenius View Post
yeah, thats Air India Flight 101. I think Dr. Homi Bhabha also died in that accident.

I've been to Mont Blanc, on the Swiss side while in Geneva. One of the hotel staff, a Keralite, was talking about this accident and that the glacier was spewing out the remains of the aircraft until a few years ago.
Yes.

However, the suspicious deaths of fathers of Indian Space Sceince and Indian Atomic Science did not stop India from achieving. Over the years, we had innumerable number of Sara Bhais and Homi Bhabhas, which keeps tha nation going.

Cheers

PS: It is also worthwhile to note that after the sad demise of Homi J Bhabha, Vikram Sara Bhai was holding the full additional charges of Atomic Energy Commission of India. And the TERLS was established by Vikram Sarabhai at Trivandrum, with the complete support of Homi Bhabha.
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #1099
25Dude25
The Royal Capital

The Bhima ad for the day...

Courtesy: Malayala Manorama
25Dude25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #1100
25Dude25
The Royal Capital

Bhima inaugurated by renowned actress Asin