daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Canada Urban Issues

Canada Urban Issues For urban topics with national implications.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:22 AM   #61
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 5263

I love sunken bowls! This place will be a great place to watch football if it ever gets built. Not crazy at the prospect of that athletics track remaining permanently, but I doubt they'll spend the money to make it more fan friendly.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:06 PM   #62
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 142

And soccer! Bob Young will get a USL franchise if a new stadium is built.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:41 PM   #63
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 383

In Kamloops we are supposed to be getting a retractable roof hockey Arana. The first in Canada . But I dont see it happening.

maybe something like this
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #64
isaidso
the new republic

A retractable roof on a hockey arena? Now that's intriguing. On another note, is football popular in Kamloops or is it all hockey? What is Kamloops' current football stadium?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; September 6th, 2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #65
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 383

Hill Side Stadium in Kamloops

And yes, we have a foot ball team ( they arn't very good though )

Old September 4th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #66
isaidso
the new republic

Yes, I know of the Broncos. I just love the name of that opponent: Big Kahuna! This stadium looks great, except I hate the athletics track. Awesome setting, but what's with football stadiums in Canada being built on the diagonal like that? First Regina, and now this one. In this case is it to prevent the end zones from facing east-west which would make playing towards the sun difficult?

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?p...oto_id=5771069

Old September 5th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #67
koolio

Likes (Received): 1341

Any news on BC Place? I read recently that according to the latest figures released by the provincial government, the funding for the renovations is still in place as they were planned. Any truth to this and what significance it has?

Also, that new stadium proposal in Ottawa looks good. I still wish that they add a couple of stands on each end of the pitch ... no crowd behind the endzones really destroys the atmosphere in my opinion. It'll be so much better for the players if they see fans cheering all around them.
koolio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #68
koolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
In Kamloops we are supposed to be getting a retractable roof hockey Arana. The first in Canada . But I dont see it happening.

maybe something like this
That sounds intriguing. I've been wishing for an innovation in regards to indoor arenas for a long time. In North America, too many arenas are being built with very little regard for aesthetics. Two of the richest teams in hockey (Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens) play inside arenas that are extremely boring and utilitarian both internally and externally.

I've noticed that the newer arenas in Europe, although smaller in capacity, have been designed with no expenses spared in regards to their exterior.

By the way, the only retractable arena that I've heard of seems to be Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne. It certainly seems interesting as to how the arena in Kamloops is imagined to be utilized.
Old September 6th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #69
isaidso
the new republic

University Stadium, Waterloo, Ontario

https://www.laurierathletics.com/ima...iumfromAir.jpg
http://virtualtour.wlu.ca/cms/tour_i...dium_large.jpg
http://www.queensjournal.ca/media/st.../v136i6sp2.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ty_Stadium.jpg

University Stadium, also known as Knight-Newbrough Field and formerly known as Seagram Stadium, is a football stadium in Waterloo, Ontario. It is home to the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks football, rugby, and lacrosse teams. Seating capacity is 6,000 making it tied with Ron Joyce Stadium (MAC), as the 8th largest college football stadium in Canada.

Last edited by isaidso; September 6th, 2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #70
isaidso
the new republic

Ron Joyce Stadium, Hamilton, Ontario

Tied with MAC? Well, here's MAC's stadium.

image hosted on flickr

http://media.hamiltonspectator.topsc...b692f5dac.jpeg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/...a9e6d5f03f.jpg
http://www-athrec.mcmaster.ca/athlet...eat-window.jpg
http://www-athrec.mcmaster.ca/athlet...l18-window.jpg

Ron Joyce Stadium is the newest college football stadium in Canada. It opened in 2008 at a cost of $43 million and is the home of the McMaster Marauders football team. The stadium is tied with University Stadium as the 8th largest college football stadium in Canada with a capacity of 6,000. Ron Joyce is, however, able to expand to 12,000 seats with the addition of temporary stands on the other side of the field.

Ron Joyce features underground parking beneath the field for over 300 cars.

Last edited by isaidso; September 6th, 2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #71
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 18009

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
Any news on BC Place? I read recently that according to the latest figures released by the provincial government, the funding for the renovations is still in place as they were planned. Any truth to this and what significance it has?
We're broke and we have no money to build anything! But the government might encourage the private firms to build a soccer only stadium some where in the metro area.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #72
isaidso
the new republic

What ever happened to Harper's infrastructure stimulus package? You'd think something like this would be a perfect candidate for such funding.

Old September 6th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #73
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 18009

I'll bet he will pull some tricks like that in October federal election.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #74
isaidso
the new republic

That will be interesting to watch play out. We can only hope.

Old September 6th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #75
AndrewJM3D

Likes (Received): 487

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
Two of the richest teams in hockey (Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens) play inside arenas that are extremely boring and utilitarian both internally and externally.

I fail to see how the Air Canada Centre is boring inside and out? It fits in well with it's surroundings, anything outlandish would just look out of place in the downtown core. It's also impressive they were able to move from one art Deco building into another. It's western facade is getting a facelift with both elevated and Path connections to the new shopping complex at Maple Leaf Square that will feature bars, restaurants, shops, residences, offices, and a hotel. The new exterior square will have two large tv screens showing games inside. I think Toronto has one of the best arenas in the NHL/NBA. If only we had a team worthy of playing there.

google images

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
AndrewJM3D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #76
Ukraine

Likes (Received): 353

I love the maple leafs..Awesome what they've done to this part of the city which was once a terrible place...
Ukraine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #77
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6533

It really was a creepy, underused area 10-15 years ago. Astounding how land that close to the CBD could remain undeveloped for so long.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #78
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 1383

Having seen the Flyers play a game at the Air Canada Centre, I have to say that it is almost the worst stadium or arena that I have been to. (I try to see all four Philadelphia teams on a road trip every year, and I have seen 12 stadiums or arenas, including 2 that are now out of commission, which isn't too much but is decent. I've also been outside several arenas, and have been to the three venues in Philadelphia for games.) The arena itself is nice but there's nothing special about it. But just because there's nothing special about it doesn't mean that it's crap, either.

As far as the surrounding area around the arena, is is the second-worst that I have seen, better than only the awful Izod Center in Dirty Jersey, which is still used for New Jersey Nets games. Personally, I like a lot of parkland or open space around a stadium. That way, you get a full view of the arena and can take in the exterior. Some places have grassy areas or parks (Soldier Field in Chicago, Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, among others). Some have plazas or gathering spaces (Nationwide Arena in Columbus, PNC Park in Pittsburgh, the new Yankee Stadium, among others). Some even have seas of parking lots (Shea Stadium in New York City, the Philadelphia stadiums, among others), which is fine since people travel from decent distances to see games, and in some sports, tailgating beforehand is a ritual. The Air Canada Centre doesn't provide any real open area to "take it all in". It's now surrounded on all sides by highrises and stuff like that. The only place that's worse is the Izod Center, even though they do have a small plaza out front, is because the Izod Center is boxed in on pretty much every side by parking garages, which is not only ugly but unnecessary considering all of the acres of surface parking due to Giants Stadium next to it.

As far as urban arenas go, I like how ones like Madison Square Garden in New York City, the Verizon Center in Washington, and Maple Leaf Gardens blend in with the surroundings but stick out enough to get a feel for its importance. Plus, you can see these places from far enough away as you're walking, so that you take take in the game atmosphere before you walk inside. When the arena is hidden so much by other buildings like the Air Canada Centre is, it's underwhelming to walk up to.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #79
AndrewJM3D

Likes (Received): 487

The area around may have been one of the worst but not anymore. We don't tail gate for NHL/NBA and I'd rather have high rises then parking lots surround it. As for the arena itself being underwhelming, you do realize that 70% of the arena is below grade? FYI they're building a plaza on it's west side for gatherings.

We also don't need mass amounts of parking seeing that a large percentage use TTC an GO transit to get to events. Toronto is one of the few markets where all of it's sports venues are on mass transit rail and subway lines. Oh no, I don't have acres of parking lots to weave through to get in the game spirit. What we have is refined and it works well with the fabric of our city.

Also you can't compare arenas to stadiums, the scale of the two are way off.The ACC will never have the presence of The Rogers Dome but it fulfills it's roll perfectly.

I've been to MSG and have to say the experience was awesome even though the building itself inside and out looks like it should be torn down.

It tells a lot about your architectural taste when you come on here and say this is better then the ACC.

image hosted on flickr
AndrewJM3D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #80
koolio

What they're doing with the ACC now is a separate topic of discussion. My point is that so far in its existence, the ACC has been a very bland and utilitarian presence in the downtown core. I find it hard to believe why anyone would disagree with that especially considering how the MLG is still standing. Both the ACC and Bell Centre look more similar to a shopping mall than a sporting arena. I realize that most arenas around North America have been designed this way but I just think that considering their rich history, the Leafs and the Canadiens should have went for something that fit their stature. There are a lot of good looking arenas coming around now in the NHL, NBA, NCAA and even Europe that make me believe that we should have pursued something similar.