daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > North Africa > Egypt > Photography & Architecture > Cities & Landscapes | المدن و الطيبعة

Old June 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #1
midotoria
مصر ام الدنيا

Likes (Received): 106

Thumbs up Qena قنا|Upper Egypt

Qena is a provincial capital located about 57 miles from El Balyana and 39 miles north of Luxor. It is most famous for its proximity to the ruins of Dendara. It owes its modern prosperity to the opening of the Wadi Qena towards the Red Sea, which is a major traffic route between Upper Egypt and the Red Sea. Tourists traveling between Luxor and the Red Sea will assuredly pass through this City.
The city also has a considerable Islamic heritage and a famous Mosque. The Maghrebi Abd el-Rahim settled in Qena upon his return from Mecca and founded a Sufi center here. Upon his death in 1195, the mosque was built above his tomb and became a place of pilgrimage. There is a huge modern mosque of Sheikh el-Qenawi in the main square which attests to his importance.

midotoria no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 18th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #2
whizz_pat

Likes (Received): 3

Wow looks like a nice place. Some beautiful tree lined streets there.
I've never even heard of it before.
whizz_pat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #3
egypt69

Likes (Received): 1200

Wow looks nice!

I always thought any other place other than Cairo or Alex or the other main cities, was like a dilapadated village, but I guess I thought wrong. This place looks nice, clean, the roads look great too!

My grandpa comes from Assiut, i wonder if Mido will gift us with a thread from there??
egypt69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #4
Nainawaaz
Believer

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt69 View Post
Wow looks nice!

I always thought any other place other than Cairo or Alex or the other main cities, was like a dilapadated village, but I guess I thought wrong. This place looks nice, clean, the roads look great too!

My grandpa comes from Assiut, i wonder if Mido will gift us with a thread from there??
You got that right....so impressed myself. I thought there were four or five major cities and thats it, but look at these places...wow. Please post more of these cities and towns. Great job on these threads guys...and Viva Egypt..great win vs Italy
Nainawaaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #5
whizz_pat

Likes (Received): 3

Cheers
Yeah, it helps to keep in mind that there are a good 80million people in Egypt, the vast majority of whom live in the narrow stip along the Nile. So cities that you don't hear about, because they are small by Egyptian standards, doesn't mean they are small by other countrie's standards.
whizz_pat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #6
StormShadow

Likes (Received): 147

StormShadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote