daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Under Construction



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM   #81
Luke80
Registered User
 
Luke80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 778
Likes (Received): 1

You mean so that the seats are all covered even when the roof is fully retracted?
Luke80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:37 PM   #82
HHH_Gopher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18
Likes (Received): 2

What the Vikes want...

It's pretty clear that the Vikings want something equivalent to Lucas Oil Stadium, which does have most of the seats covered even when the roof is opened.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=207888

I'm hopeful that the ability to host baseball in any potential facility will be maintained. The HHH Dome has been a huge help to my Golden Gopher baseball team.

While I'm definitely more in favor of a renovated dome or a classic, outdoor football stadium, a multipurpose facility that can host final fours, super bowls (although northern Super Bowls are ridiculous), and all the other indoor events in this town would be a positive in the long-term. From a cost perspective, it probably would make sense to just scrap the retractable roof and build something like Ford Field. Sad to say, but the Vikes are no longer identified by the glory days of playing outdoors at the Met.
HHH_Gopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:15 PM   #83
mattec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 771
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
The only current NFL team that should be moved is the Jacksonville Jaguars. That team has proven to be a complete failure for the NFL entering into a small market. Los Angeles needs a team and moving to Jaguars to Los Angeles would be a great move by the NFL.

Side note: The Green Bay Packers are located in a small market, but they are also the team for the state of Wisconsin. The Jaguars, in addition to being i a small market, have to compete with the Dolphins and the Buccaneers.
In all fairness to Jacksonville, it is the largest city in Florida and it's attendence is no where near the bottom of the leauge, at least 11 teams are below them, including the Vikings, Bears, Cowboys, and Steelers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance?year=2008
mattec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:47 AM   #84
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,306
Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
The only current NFL team that should be moved is the Jacksonville Jaguars. That team has proven to be a complete failure for the NFL entering into a small market. Los Angeles needs a team and moving to Jaguars to Los Angeles would be a great move by the NFL.

Side note: The Green Bay Packers are located in a small market, but they are also the team for the state of Wisconsin. The Jaguars, in addition to being i a small market, have to compete with the Dolphins and the Buccaneers.
If the cheapest ticket in the house didn't cost $55 maybe attendance wouldn't suck.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:39 AM   #85
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,306
Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHH_Gopher View Post
I'm hopeful that the ability to host baseball in any potential facility will be maintained. The HHH Dome has been a huge help to my Golden Gopher baseball team.
The NCAA should seriously consider moving the season back to about mid/late March in the interest of fairness to Northern schools, even if that means shortening the season by a few games or so. I'm in favor of moving the CWS back to 4th of July week(end), personally.

Quote:
While I'm definitely more in favor of a renovated dome or a classic, outdoor football stadium, a multipurpose facility that can host final fours, super bowls (although northern Super Bowls are ridiculous), and all the other indoor events in this town would be a positive in the long-term. From a cost perspective, it probably would make sense to just scrap the retractable roof and build something like Ford Field. Sad to say, but the Vikes are no longer identified by the glory days of playing outdoors at the Met.
Many people disagree; I think a Super Bowl in Chicago or Green Bay would be awesome -- only REAL fans would show up for such a game. Screw the elaborate, overly diversionary halftime performances and pampered corporate pantywaists, this is FOOTBALL, dammit!

I also wouldn't mind seeing one of those juggernauts from the mighty SEC travel to Columbus or Happy Valley in December for a postseason playoff game, but that's another discussion for another forum.

But, like you and I have been saying, a upgraded Metrodome would be the most cost-effective option. It would likely cost less than half of Wilf's proposal, plus Final Fours and other indoor events would remain on the table.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:45 AM   #86
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,586
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
The NCAA should seriously consider moving the season back to about mid/late March in the interest of fairness to Northern schools, even if that means shortening the season by a few games or so. I'm in favor of moving the CWS back to 4th of July week(end), personally.
The costs will not allow for it. The season has already been shortened and the season moved back, but playing even further past the end of school would require the schools to pay even more money to house and feed the students. That won't fly for a sport already threatened at many schools by the financial crunch.
ryebreadraz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #87
Ganis
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas / Amarillo
Posts: 1,783
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
In all fairness to Jacksonville, it is the largest city in Florida and it's attendence is no where near the bottom of the leauge, at least 11 teams are below them, including the Vikings, Bears, Cowboys, and Steelers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance?year=2008
Only because their stadium is (was for the cowboys) bigger then all those teams stadiums.
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #88
Ganis
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas / Amarillo
Posts: 1,783
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Many people disagree; I think a Super Bowl in Chicago or Green Bay would be awesome -- only REAL fans would show up for such a game. Screw the elaborate, overly diversionary halftime performances and pampered corporate pantywaists, this is FOOTBALL, dammit!
You dont understand making money then do you? Also Everyone hated the Detroit super bowl. Nothing to do there for the 2 weeks leading to it because of the shitty weather.

Quote:
I also wouldn't mind seeing one of those juggernauts from the mighty SEC travel to Columbus or Happy Valley in December for a postseason playoff game, but that's another discussion for another forum.
They would still win.

Quote:
But, like you and I have been saying, a upgraded Metrodome would be the most cost-effective option. It would likely cost less than half of Wilf's proposal, plus Final Fours and other indoor events would remain on the table.
Its just an ugly building that should be demolished. I dont think there is any true amount of upgrades that will make it look good.
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #89
mattec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 771
Likes (Received): 16

nm
mattec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #90
mattec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 771
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
Only because their stadium is (was for the cowboys) bigger then all those teams stadiums.
but they still had more butts in the seats...

In all actuality, I don't see any teams moving, maybe a trade, like what happened with cleveland/ baltimore, but nothing like what happened when the colts moved to indy.
mattec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #91
Ganis
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas / Amarillo
Posts: 1,783
Likes (Received): 1

Jacksonville cant compete with College ball down there. I am hearing ESPN sport writers talk more and more about the Jags moving to LA.
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #92
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,306
Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
You dont understand making money then do you? Also Everyone hated the Detroit super bowl. Nothing to do there for the 2 weeks leading to it because of the shitty weather.
There's really not much to do in Destroit when the weather is good, either.



Quote:
They would still win.
Trust me, they'd become very familiar with the term "lake effect" pretty quickly...


Quote:
Its just an ugly building that should be demolished. I dont think there is any true amount of upgrades that will make it look good.
Look at the proposed renovations for Copps Coliseum in Hamilton; it can be done.







KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #93
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,586
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
Jacksonville cant compete with College ball down there. I am hearing ESPN sport writers talk more and more about the Jags moving to LA.
First of all, ESPN is far from an authority and their analysis into potential relocation for all sports over the last 15 years has been awful at best.

Second, Jacksonville is not the college town people are led to believe. The ratings for NFL games there are far better than those for college games. The issue is that the market has been conditioned to watching games on TV and feel no urgency to attend games when in fact, the franchise's future is dependent on it. The market is also filled with transplants who have adopted the Jaguars as their second team so they will watch them, but won't shell out the money necessary to attend.
ryebreadraz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #94
HHH_Gopher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18
Likes (Received): 2

Love the Copps Coliseum Comparison...

Kingman....I think that comparison is actually pretty valid. I just can't imagine that if you gave a great sports architecture firm a budget of $400 to $500 mil to transform the Dome into a great professional football stadium, it couldn't be done in a fan-friendly, aesthetically-pleasing way.

Believe me, as a Twin Cities guy, I love our new venues. TCF Bank Stadium and Target Field are absolutely phenomenal and will stand the test of time. But the Dome was built for the Vikes and I still believe could be made into a good home for the organization for the next 30 years.
HHH_Gopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #95
Ganis
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas / Amarillo
Posts: 1,783
Likes (Received): 1

if they do a huge renovation on the Metro Dome, will they remove the bubble for a more modern roof like Lucas, Reliant or Cowboys Stadium...s?
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #96
Benn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,598
Likes (Received): 57

Thats sort of the idea, look at link to the Ellerbe Becket anlysis PDF I posted on page 2, that will be sort the plan HKS is working with the Vikings, though there may be some competition with Ellerbe in the long run. Much of the bowl will likey be torn out as well, though I'd prefer to reuse it for one.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #97
Ganis
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas / Amarillo
Posts: 1,783
Likes (Received): 1

Much of the Bowl!? In that proposal barley one sideline of the stadium will be left standing. Shit, it might as well be a new stadium all together.
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #98
Benn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,598
Likes (Received): 57

They would reusing foundations, plumbing and other high cost infrastructure as well as one sideline. Personally I would much rather see the current bowl reused as previously stated but its pretty unlikely.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #99
Ni3lS
Mod
 
Ni3lS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 15,285
Likes (Received): 1303

Looks very nice. Saw the game against Green Bay Packers yesterday. Good game.
__________________
LIFE IN LONDON

Please like my Facebook PAGE and check out my latest work :)
FLICKR: [2013] > London, Rotterdam, Pula, Krka, Dalmatia, Austria, Salzburg, Alps, Berlin, Dresden, Trier, Vienna, Bratislava, Munich, Ljubljana, Slovenia
[2014] > Vienna, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Maastricht, Paris, Corrèze, Limoges, Paris(2)
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #100
HHH_Gopher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18
Likes (Received): 2

Regarding the possibility of renovation, the element of the current facility that I have always liked least is the roof. While I truly believe that football should be played outdoors, there's no doubt that a stadium with a roof is an asset in this town. From a cost perspective, it would make much more sense to renovate the existing facility with a new fixed roof (or build an entirely new stadium with a fixed roof). Scrap the retractable component.

Although you remove the weather from the equation, we're light years away from the purple people eater days of the '70s. It just isn't this franchise's identity any longer. If we could eventually build something along the lines of Ford Field that incorporates a lot of natural light, I'd be happy, especially if it still allowed for amateur baseball.
HHH_Gopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
american football, minnesota

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu