daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast

Southeast » Development News | Includes TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

View Poll Results: Which city has the best night skyline in the south?
Atlanta 69 26.54%
Austin 3 1.15%
Charlotte 30 11.54%
Dallas 68 26.15%
Houston 21 8.08%
Miami 51 19.62%
New Orleans 10 3.85%
Other 8 3.08%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #41
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Watched sunday night football and got allot of night views of Atlanta... my opinion hasn't changed.
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 20th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #42
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
Watched sunday night football and got allot of night views of Atlanta... my opinion hasn't changed.
Of course not, because you're partial to the city you live in. And that's fine, but just don't claim that Atlanta's skyline looks like every other city's skyline at night because that's simply not true at all.
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #43
Ganis
BANNED

o but it is
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #44
krazeeboi

Quote:
o but it is
You still have yet to show what other Southern city skyline looks like Atlanta's at night. If there was one out there, you would have shown it when you made that bogus claim.
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #45
udan

Likes (Received): 4

My vote is for Dallas, by far the best night skyline in the south!
udan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #46
krazeeboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by udan View Post
My vote is for Dallas, by far the best night skyline in the south!
"By far"? ROFL! I have nothing against Dallas, but y'all Dallas boosters are a trip and a half.
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #47
Ganis
BANNED

Atlanta

looks like some crown lighting and like someone did not turn off the lights in the offices after clock out at 6pm, and why must i compare it to anything else to make my point? I just said its not impressive to me. If anything its like 3 buildings from New York City meets 2 from Philadelphia just no where near the hight and all are under designed re-makes.

Last edited by Ganis; October 20th, 2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #48
Ganis
BANNED

Dallas at Night...

....Equals Sex on a Stick!!!!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

and a PANO!
image hosted on flickr

thank you ninjatune
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #49
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 9

^WOW!Big-D for sure!
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #50
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 14868

Damn, I voted for Dallas which is the skyline from which all other night skylines are judged, but Atlanta's getting more and more Bladerunner-esque. Tie!
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #51
krazeeboi

Quote:
looks like some crown lighting and like someone did not turn off the lights in the offices after clock out at 6pm
Oh, and Dallas doesn't?

Quote:
why must i compare it to anything else to make my point? I just said its not impressive to me.
You said more than that; you said, "It does the same thing at night as any other skyline out there." That's why I asked you to SHOW ME what other skyline in the South looks like Atlanta's at night, and you still haven't done so because you know there is none.

Quote:
If anything its like 3 buildings from New York City meets 2 from Philadelphia just no where near the hight and all are under designed re-makes.
Dude, what are you talking about? LOL! PLEASE stop making all these crazy claims without anything to back them up. Just say you prefer Dallas because that's your city and be done.
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #52
krazeeboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Damn, I voted for Dallas which is the skyline from which all other night skylines are judged, but Atlanta's getting more and more Bladerunner-esque. Tie!
That pic was on the first page in this thread. I guess if you keep posting shots from one city, people will think it's the default winner because that's all they see. But I like this shot of ATL too:

image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3573/...cd2edb1c_b.jpg

These two are cool also:

http://k53.pbase.com/g1/68/340268/2/...0.18X2su5t.jpg

http://ic2.pbase.com/g1/68/340268/2/...8.3B7yEQRq.jpg

And this pano rocks:

image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/...2237c3ac_o.jpg
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #53
ATLfan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
looks like some crown lighting and like someone did not turn off the lights in the offices after clock out at 6pm, and why must i compare it to anything else to make my point? I just said its not impressive to me. If anything its like 3 buildings from New York City meets 2 from Philadelphia just no where near the hight and all are under designed re-makes.
You are jealous and a hater. Go compare building height between Dallas and ATL. ATL's buildings are substantially taller (BofA, Westin, One Atlantic, 191 Peachtree, etc. etc.). Atlanta's crowns, designed by GeorgiaTech architects and engineers, are some of the most unique in the world. The architecture symbolizes the city. Not only does ATL have an amazing midtown/ downtown but also the new, tall, modern buildings of Buckhead, and it all lights up at night like nothing else in the country.
ATLfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #54
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 607

Took me a while to post but after seeing the latest shots on this page, my vote goes to The ATL with the Big D at a close second.
FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:01 AM   #55
Velvetj

Likes (Received): 0

Atlanta's night skyline cannot be denied, however I personally do believe it is possible to have too much of something. Simply just because a building have lights does not automatically mean it's a good thing IMO. As much as I admire the city, the thing I would say I have disliked the most about Atlanta in so many different areas in terms of skyline, development, attitude, etc., is there is just something about it that comes across as inauthentic. It really does come across as simply trying TOO hard. Trying to constantly PROVE to the world that it is. EVERY new building must have a lit crown or decorative top. EVERY building must have some sort of asymetrical element to it. Some even argue that Atlanta straight up tries to imitate New York City without shame. Most American cities admire and were inspired and influenced by the great NYC on some level I'm sure, but........

Anyway, it boils down to taste. Many here LOVE the Hong Kong and Shanghai night skylines, and while they are spectacular, I am not a huge fan simply because I think it is too much lighting. With as many buildings in NYC that have lighting, it is just enough. It is not overdone. It doesn't appear it is trying to prove anything to anybody.

With that, I say the same about Dallas. As obvious as the Dallas night Skyline is, if one is going to have some sort of "flash", it is JUST enough. Dallas didn't cross a line. At this point, I think Atlanta is walking that line.

I personally prefer Dallas.
Velvetj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:06 AM   #56
krazeeboi

I also think we need to distinguish between a great nighttime shot of a skyline and a great nighttime skyline. Most of the shots of Dallas I've seen in this thread, and some of Atlanta also, are just great nighttime shots by really talented photographers. For instance, I could post this nighttime shot of midtown Atlanta

http://image3.examiner.com/images/bl...tin_flickr.jpg

Or this one of downtown

http://images.art.com/images/product...0/10093407.jpg

But it's quite clear they are enhanced. What you are more likely to see with your own physical eyes at night is closer to this

image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/...2237c3ac_o.jpg

Or this:

image hosted on flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2032/...662f74682d.jpg

In the same way, you're not really going to see this with your physical eyes:

image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3632/...06395311_b.jpg

A lot of the buildings in that shot aren't even lit up or are barely lit, so you won't be able to actually see them as clearly in person as you can in that shot. What you will actually see will be much closer to this:

http://www.shapesweeney.com/photos/j...1320125968.jpg

or this:

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/82296...-small-new.jpg
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:09 AM   #57
krazeeboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetj View Post
Atlanta's night skyline cannot be denied, however I personally do believe it is possible to have too much of something. Simply just because a building have lights does not automatically mean it's a good thing IMO. As much as I admire the city, the thing I would say I have disliked the most about Atlanta in so many different areas in terms of skyline, development, attitude, etc., is there is just something about it that comes across as inauthentic. It really does come across as simply trying TOO hard. Trying to constantly PROVE to the world that it is. EVERY new building must have a lit crown or decorative top. EVERY building must have some sort of asymetrical element to it. Some even argue that Atlanta straight up tries to imitate New York City without shame. Most American cities admire and were inspired and influenced by the great NYC on some level I'm sure, but........

Anyway, it boils down to taste. Many here LOVE the Hong Kong and Shanghai night skylines, and while they are spectacular, I am not a huge fan simply because I think it is too much lighting. With as many buildings in NYC that have lighting, it is just enough. It is not overdone. It doesn't appear it is trying to prove anything to anybody.

With that, I say the same about Dallas. As obvious as the Dallas night Skyline is, if one is going to have some sort of "flash", it is JUST enough. Dallas didn't cross a line. At this point, I think Atlanta is walking that line.

I personally prefer Dallas.
That's a reasonable assessment. While I think Atlanta's skyline "flashiness" is distinctively and uniquely Atlanta and I like that, at least you have a sensible rationale for preferring Dallas (which has a nice nighttime skyline) over Atlanta.
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM   #58
udan

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeeboi View Post
"By far"? ROFL! I have nothing against Dallas, but y'all Dallas boosters are a trip and a half.
Wow, this from someone who jumps all over anybody who doesn't vote for Atlanta as the center of the universe? I travel to both Atlanta and Dallas several times a year and find that in person (not photos) the Dallas skyline is much more interesting at night. Is this still America? Am I allowed to have an opinion?
udan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:02 AM   #59
krazeeboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by udan View Post
Wow, this from someone who jumps all over anybody who doesn't vote for Atlanta as the center of the universe? I travel to both Atlanta and Dallas several times a year and find that in person (not photos) the Dallas skyline is much more interesting at night. Is this still America? Am I allowed to have an opinion?
Of course you're allowed to have one, and I'm allowed to question the way someone states their opinion. Freedom works both ways, buddy.

And you must be confusing me with someone else, because surely I do not jump "all over anybody who doesn't vote for Atlanta as the center of the universe." I don't have a problem with someone thinking that Dallas or some other city has a better nighttime skyline than Atlanta; hell, depending on their preference, I can see how someone might say that Charleston has the best nighttime skyline in the South. But the stupid stuff like "Atlanta looks like every other city out there at night" and this "Dallas beats every other city by far" like Dallas is Hong Kong and Atlanta is Wichita is just crazy boosterism. And I still don't get the "by far" part. Yes, I know this is all subjective, but the only thing Dallas has in its skyline that Atlanta doesn't is Reunion tower. It's a nice touch and a unique feature that I do like, but that's hardly enough to say that it beats Atlanta's skyline at night "by far."

Last edited by krazeeboi; October 21st, 2009 at 03:08 AM.
krazeeboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:35 AM   #60
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 14868

Atlanta benefits from the fact that most of its tall buildings were built in the last 20 years so the lighting is more up to date. And all those granny victorian crowns do light up beautifully at night. Dallas just needs to step up its game and do the kind of light show Hong Kong puts on every night with choreographed LEDs. You don't even have to put up 105 story towers, just redo the '80s stuff!

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote