daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old November 6th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #121
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 278

I'm curious about the source of that ranking, BG, as well as the scoring. It must have caused a lot of furious nerd-angst typing, that's for sure.
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 7th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #122
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
A Seattle PD officer was gunned down last night in Leschi in a random shooting. God, I hope whoever did this is caught and more.
Disturbing.

If a couple Seattle cops had to be gunned down, it could have at least been these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl67FmVRjYs
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #123
Backstrom
Neanderthal

Likes (Received): 0

BIG news day. The possible suspect who killed Officer Brenton was shot by Tukwila police. We're hoping we got the guy.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ukwila06m.html
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #124
Darkhyperchaos

Likes (Received): 4

Thats good news. I was starting to worry that all this effort and time would have gone into nothing.
Darkhyperchaos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #125
Seasun

Likes (Received): 107

Until this morning I didn't realize I could look up Seattle Municipal Court records on-line. (Came across this when reading an article about the SPD assassin). You can see every speeding and parking ticket plus other worse offenses going back quite a ways (like 1989). You just need last name (b-day and first name are optional). You can also lookup vehicle license plate numbers.

http://web1.seattle.gov/courts/cpi/
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #126
RMacherat
Buy used books

Superior Court too. I am a guardian and it pisses me off that everything we've ever done (over 100 entries over some 25 years so far) is right there for anyone to look at. It's mind-boggling what can be looked up in our city/county/state as compared with other states. If you're breathing, you're on a list somewhere. (Well, even if you're not! - check out the SSDI.)
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #127
Seasun

Likes (Received): 107

Seattle City Light 13.8% Rate Increase

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ylight12m.html

A few things I want to express about SCL and this large rate increase:
1. I can't claim that SCL doesn't need this rate increase but...
2. Have you tried to get a streetlight working? Here's an Oct. 8 e-mail from SCL about some lights I reported out:

Quote:
Thank you for reporting this problem.

YOUR TROUBLE TICKET CONFIRMATION NUMBERS ARE:
[4 ticket numbers]

Repairs are averaging about 60 days. (Sometimes repairs may take longer, depending on the nature of the problem. More complicated repairs, such as no power to the light take more time.)
We apologize for the delay. We are currently working through a significant backlog of streetlight outages; our budget for streetlight maintenance was reduced for this year due to the overall cutbacks the City has had to make. If your light has not been repaired in 90 days, please feel free to email us again at street.light@Seattle.Gov or telephone at 206-684-7056. Please provide the ticket number of your original request.

Customer Care Division
3. These lights are still out more than a month later and I'm supposed to re-contact them if they haven't been fixed in 90 days(!). This isn't just one light - it's a block of Western Avenue. In recent days I've noticed that near Westlake and Stewart there are about 10 lights out and it's dark.

4. My experience is probably justification for the rate increase but it does seem incompetent that some downtown streetlights can't be relamped within a week or two. SCL has a reputation for bringing 4 big yellow work trucks to a site to do much of anything and if you watch their crews it's a little surprising how much time they spend on break in the cabs of the trucks. Is it possible that SCL could modify the Pothole Rangers or Graffiti Removal approach to handling streetlights (if those programs still exist)?

Don't be surprised that your rent or condo assessments are going up for next year even if the economy is down. And I don't think this is limited to the City of Seattle. I expect that all of SCL's service area gets this rate increase.

At least by the time 90 days elapses we'll almost be into more daylight!
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #128
RMacherat
Buy used books

This kind of report - not good for the blood pressure

" .. our budget for streetlight maintenance was reduced for this year due to the overall cutbacks the City has had to make .. "

and they're going to stamp their feet and hold their breath and not fix streetlights until they get what they want. It might be interesting to find out how much in the way of "cutbacks" they've actually had to endure. arghhh
Old November 14th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #129
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 166

I read that they had to endure a couple million dollars of cutbacks. Why does everyone always suspect something is behind this? We're in a recession, revenue's down, so they had to cut, and therefore have to replace lights more slowly.
alexjonlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #130
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 158

Video from the top of the spire on the Burj Dubai. The towers WAY below are about the height of dt Seattle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWVLzVhnYE0

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #131
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 161

Damn! That's insane! Too bad, we will never see world's tallest building to be built in Seattle anyway.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #132
Darkhyperchaos

No kidding. Its hard just to get a 1000 footer around here.
Old November 14th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #133
meku

Likes (Received): 49

Seattle doesn't need the tallest building in the world, what it needs is better architecture. Or more bold if I may say so.
meku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #134
just4ivaylo

Likes (Received): 70

I don't think Seattle needs anything higher than the 1000 foot mark. If we could only get more of those...
just4ivaylo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #135
Grayproduct
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 13

How many more blue glass buildings will we get?
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #136
Darkhyperchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by meku View Post
Seattle doesn't need the tallest building in the world, what it needs is better architecture. Or more bold if I may say so.
I agree. Last time I checked Dubai was a relatively flat line with a hulking tower in the middle. It looks so unbalanced and awkward.
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #137
Darkhyperchaos

I think Seattle would look really good if it gets a few more buildings around Columbia Center height. Emerald city tower, I wonder if it will ever be reality.
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #138
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 161

I think Seattle only need few supertalls including one tower that go up to 1,600'. That will be good enough for Seattle. That would be nice if Bellevue get a several supertalls too. Around last decade ago, 1,600' tower would be world's tallest building just before Burj Dubai. I can't imagine Seattle to have any taller building than Burj Dubai... It will ruin Seattle skyline.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #139
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 166

I think a couple between 1000 and 1500 would be good. Maybe one as the Emerald City Tower and the other on the Clise properties. Don't think Bellevue's getting supertalls, but I suppose it could do with some 800-footers.
alexjonlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #140
Backstrom
Neanderthal

Likes (Received): 0

I'm all for more density downtown, but I'd rather we rezone the low-density single-family areas and get more mixed-use multifamily developments first.