daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Old November 25th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #7141
WillesdenGreen
skengman

Likes (Received): 0

probably a stupid question, but if the white columns are the exterior frame, how come there's metalwork outside?
WillesdenGreen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 25th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #7142
Cat man do
Founder of the 'Gy'.

Likes (Received): 221

Because its a temporary framework to house hoists and stuff.
Cat man do no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #7143
Nihil Dicit
Closet Crane-Spotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon911 View Post
Great pics chest. Looks like the builders are putting in pins into the plunge columns in the core area perhaps to attach rebar to.
So if rebar will be attached to these pins, does that mean that the bottom of the core will be 6-9m of solid concrete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chest View Post

Nihil Dicit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #7144
Barry_Scott

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a long time now following the shard thread but havent posted yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihil Dicit View Post
So if rebar will be attached to these pins, does that mean that the bottom of the core will be 6-9m of solid concrete?
I think the the pins on the plunge columns are more there to provide a key for the concrete that is to be poured around them...not sure though. Besides i dont think the level at which they are down to is actually the bottom of the core. If you remember the top down construction diagram posted earlier in the thread it showed that the core will rise as the basement is countinued to be dug out.
Barry_Scott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #7145
Horizon911

....that's right, I think there's another basement level to dig out yet.
Quote:
Honestly no idea, but they are intriguing pics, aren't they?

The plunge column on the far right has some rebar coming out of it at the bottom, hence my guess about the rebar.

In one of the other pics, you can see the builder being very meticulous putting these pins in, so I can't imagine they're just going to pour concrete around them with out something else happening first.
Horizon911 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #7146
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 249

Just catching up... what a magnificent photo set from Chest.
Officer Dibble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #7147
tigerman

Likes (Received): 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon911 View Post
....that's right, I think there's another basement level to dig out yet.Honestly no idea, but they are intriguing pics, aren't they?

The plunge column on the far right has some rebar coming out of it at the bottom, hence my guess about the rebar.

In one of the other pics, you can see the builder being very meticulous putting these pins in, so I can't imagine they're just going to pour concrete around them with out something else happening first.
Those pins are actually called shear studs and are there to ensure an adequate bond between the steel and concrete. They are also usually used in concrete slab construction when using metal decking for the same reason.
tigerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #7148
Skyscrapercarazeeee
I am 10.94 mgy's tall

Likes (Received): 33

Good to have people on here who know what's what

White columns are now visible from the aeriel cam

Old November 26th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #7149
bandy
because im worth it!

fudge it! They can build a 310m skyscraper yet they cant get a simple web cam to work
bandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #7150
dirtydog
No! No! No!

Likes (Received): 5

I would have thought the webcams were indoors and pointing through a closed window? Hence winds and rain should not affect them?
dirtydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #7151
Team Brian GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
I would have thought the webcams were indoors and pointing through a closed window? Hence winds and rain should not affect them?
To be fair, you are not going to get an indoor shot from what will be above the tallest building in the United Kingdom!
Team Brian GB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #7152
dirtydog
No! No! No!

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Brian GB View Post
To be fair, you are not going to get an indoor shot from what will be above the tallest building in the United Kingdom!
No but we aren't at that point yet, smarty pants
dirtydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #7153
Mikey
Aerial Erector

Likes (Received): 2

the webcams are outdoor and resemble those TFL traffic cams I think the link to the top of guys tower is the issue
Old November 26th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #7154
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jex7844 View Post
Hello mate,

The "Eiffel tower" was 318.70m high in 1994 but is taller since 2000 with 324(height with antenna).

When constructed in 1889,the "Eiffel tower" was already 312,27m high(at the time there was a flag at its top).

When the "Hermitage Plaza" twin towers are built (by 2014-15)in La Défense,they will be 322 & 323 m high,symbolically 1 metre shorter than the "Eiffel Tower".
There is "Générali Tower" as well which is announced at 318m in La Défense as well(but it's very likely to be scaled down.)

"Hermitage Plaza":

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...n30yP/610x.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3643/...111eed26_o.jpg
http://static1.abduzeedo.com/files/p...eek/buck02.jpg
http://www.lemoniteur.fr/media/IMAGE..._11_278127.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3589/...1951752e_o.jpg
http://www.hermitage-immo.fr/fr/lib/...xtes-index.jpg
http://www.vinzblog.com/wp-content/u...tage-plaza.jpg

"Générali tower":

http://www.journaldunet.com/manageme...s/generali.jpg

Bye Mate.

PS: I love the Shard as well,gonna be a magnificent addition to London
Architecturally the Eiffel Tower is shorter than the Shard. The SSP diagram is inaccurate. The Eiffel Tower is 294m to the top of the "bell" shaped structure at the top, and 301m to Eiffel's architectural top (which is already a pole). There may have been various flagpoles and antennae over the years extending the height further, but the Eiffel Tower itself is 301m tall.

The Phare and Signal towers are such awful designs that it's better if they're not built. The Generali tower is also ugly. The Hermitage twins are the only ones worth building imo.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #7155
Horizon911

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerman View Post
Those pins are actually called shear studs and are there to ensure an adequate bond between the steel and concrete. They are also usually used in concrete slab construction when using metal decking for the same reason.
Thanks for info.
Horizon911 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #7156
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 238

Quote:
Very 'Hellraiser'

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #7157
Barry_Scott

So does anyone know if TC5 will be put up this weekend? I hear the weather isnt going to be good again.
Barry_Scott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #7158
Nihil Dicit
Closet Crane-Spotter

Thanks for the clarification on the spiky girders. But I'm still a bit confused as to how the core will be constructed.

Looking back at the previous post regarding the method of top-down construction (image below), it looks like they should have already poured a 2.5m thick portion of the core on the girders that are exposed. Only later would they excavate beneath the core, to a depth of 16.5m.

Perhaps the diagram is not 100% accurate, or I'm a bit slow (or both).

image hosted on flickr
Nihil Dicit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #7159
tigerman

Likes (Received): 320

The guy who is working on the project (sorry cant remember his name) did say some time back that those diagrams are not entirely accurate - so I dont think we know exactly how they will do it.
tigerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #7160
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2301

Vérifiez vos sources nom d'une pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
Architecturally the Eiffel Tower is shorter than the Shard. The SSP diagram is inaccurate. The Eiffel Tower is 294m to the top of the "bell" shaped structure at the top, and 301m to Eiffel's architectural top (which is already a pole). There may have been various flagpoles and antennae over the years extending the height further, but the Eiffel Tower itself is 301m tall.

The Phare and Signal towers are such awful designs that it's better if they're not built. The Generali tower is also ugly. The Hermitage twins are the only ones worth building imo.
Hello,

You should check your sources more carefully mate...

Originally,the Eiffel Tower was 313,2 metres high(without antenna & stuff) not 294m!

Regarding the other projects, that's your opinion.It goes without saying that I don't share your opinion(apart from "Signal"),actually many people praise them,me included. I invite you to peruse the "Défense 92" site to take a closer look at them.There are many more which are not mentionned though.

Back to "the Shard" now...I would love the cams to be fixed for god's sake,I need to see the progress...
Jex7844 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
architecture, bridge, gallery, glass, highrise, london, observation, shard, skyscraper, southwark, supertall, tower