daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM   #21
Dan B
BAND

Likes (Received): 33

Was just about to post this, seems to summarise the idea they have for selling the hotel rooms and paying for it. I'd agree, not a bad idea and a lot better and more secure that the buy to let market for apartments. The point about how much these hotel rooms will actually be used still remains though, I still don't see enough of a pull factor for people to visit. I just wish they up the stakes in the architecture of the scheme and the quality of the materials used, preferably minus the random cladding. Surely with the hotel element almost paying for itself they could stand to increase the cost of the scheme and therefore improve on the particulars of the design features.

As for activity on the site, it's interesting to see an end date of late 2011, I imagine for the whole of the project, with their website giving early 2010 for the completion of Hallgate House the project currently under construction. However, very little is occurring on site at the minute. I took a walk right past the site a few weeks ago on Hallgate, and there was literally nothing happening at all. There was some construction machinery and the initial steel framework is all there and topped out, but not a single person at work on site. Numerous other times I've walked past recently and I've noticed pretty much the same thing, no progress. As for No.1 Hamm Strasse itself, they haven't submitted the planning application yet, but so far the site has been levelled and that's it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danbrassington/
Dan B no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 4th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #22
Dan B
BAND

Seems they definitely are going with that latter design:

Think this is about the worst of the lot. Never get why these plans seem to go from fairly logical to incoherent and random, is it cheaper or what? Seems this is the one they're going to planning on as well unfortunately:

Many more of the plans on the reorganised webpage:

http://www.theproperty-group.co.uk/hammstrasse.html

With more in detail plans uploaded here:

http://www.buyhotelrooms.com/hotelro...asse/plans.php

Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM   #23
*-City Of Bradford-*
*-City Of Bradford-*

Likes (Received): 6

Bradford hotel set for big name brand

One of Europe’s leading hotel brands is set to be announced soon as the operator of a new 120-bedroom hotel which is being built in the city.

It will be the first UK city centre venture for the unnamed group, which already operates in the North of England.

The company will run the new Number 1 Hamm Strasse which is now under construction by Liverpool-based developers The Property Group. The first phase of the £15m development is almost complete.

The hotel’s rooms are being offered for sale to investors by a company called Buyhotelrooms. com which says interest in the scheme has been “massive.”

Managing director Mark Bingham said 32 of the 100 rooms for sale had already been bought, which was well ahead of target.

Buyers include investors from Australia, Pakistan and Slovakia and Mr Bingham is confident all 100 rooms will have been snapped up by the end of October.

The scheme enables investors to buy hotel rooms for income or as part of a pension plan and half the rooms have so far been bought by pension fund operators for holders of Self Investment Personal Pensions.

Mr Bingham said: “There has been massive interest in the scheme. We’d budgeted to sell only a couple of rooms this month but we’ve sold 24.

“We’ve entered the quiet period now but I’m confident that after the holidays we’ll have no trouble selling the rest of the rooms.”

Mr Bingham said Bradford was seen as a good place to invest because of its regeneration plans.

Mark Bingham said: “The new hotel operator is one of Europe's leading names and a brand that will provide a big boost for Bradford.”

He said the new hotel operator would be revealed soon.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.u...for_investors/

Wow, seems to be getting a lot of interest, shame the actual building design has plumeted quite abit. It will be interesting to see who this new 'big hotel company' is aswell.
*-City Of Bradford-* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:38 AM   #24
MarkJF

Likes (Received): 51

Oh dear, does nobody invest their own money for a return nowadays? If I was on a sure fire winner I'd want to retain as much ownershiop as possible. Buy to let hotel rooms, why do I have an uneasy feeling here?

Here a snippet from another company (maybe it's the same one) regarding buy-to-let hotel rooms in Bradford.

A feasibility study has been carried out and occupancy levels are expected to peak at 75% with a room rack rate of £120. We anticipate net room rates will be c£85 - £90 per night with an average of 65% occupancy. On the purchase price of £89,950, this provides the investor with an approximate 12% yield.

That is enough tripe to put me right off investing in the scheme. I dare say occupancy levels could peak at 75%, but only if some startlingly important event was being held in downtown Bradford, when will that happen? But average occupancy levels of 65% with a room rate of £85-90? Who believes that?

I just chose a day out of the blue, 13th August, and googled up hotel prices in Bradford at national chains for 30% of those figures. Hopefully, potential investors will do the same.
MarkJF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #25
*-City Of Bradford-*
*-City Of Bradford-*

Snapped a Pic of Hallgate House on the way home today, seems to me making good enough progress:

image hosted on flickr
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #26
MarkJF

That's good progress? It's supposed to be finished early 2010, say 6 months away......

I don't want to knock it, after all, at least it is "there", a tangible thing, albeit half finished and that is something I suppose. But I've read the developers website, I've looked at the spec, it's not exciting is it? It's another drab structure offering "multi-use" space in an area where there is vacant space in abundance. They will have a real struggle to find tenants with very, very cheap space available in the immediate vicinity.

A quick check on the office specification and I then found better specced offices in the centre, in a modern, recently refurbished, more impressive structure at £5 per sq/ft, negotiable!

Last edited by MarkJF; September 15th, 2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #27
Dan B
BAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJF View Post
That's good progress? It's supposed to be finished early 2010, say 6 months away......

I don't want to knock it, after all, at least it is "there", a tangible thing, albeit half finished and that is something I suppose. But I've read the developers website, I've looked at the spec, it's not exciting is it? It's another drab structure offering "multi-use" space in an area where there is vacant space in abundance. They will have a real struggle to find tenants with very, very cheap space available in the immediate vicinity.

A quick check on the office specification and I then found better specced offices in the centre, in a modern, recently refurbished, more impressive structure at £5 per sq/ft, negotiable!
That after they claim it to be Grade A office specification, incredible. It may indeed be better to see it progressed a bit further, but taking a walk right by the site and it is sadly another cheap new build with rather unspectacular imitation stone work.

Old September 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #28
*-City Of Bradford-*
*-City Of Bradford-*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
That after they claim it to be Grade A office specification, incredible.
I would have prefered something slightly more better looking and bigger.

Quote:
but taking a walk right by the site and it is sadly another cheap new build with rather unspectacular imitation stone work.

How very true. It's looks very cheap for a new UK City Centre building.
Old November 28th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #29
*-City Of Bradford-*
*-City Of Bradford-*

Work on Hallgate House continues to move at a reasonable pace:

image hosted on flickr
Old November 29th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #30
MarkJF

A reasonable pace? I can't tell the difference between that pic and the one you posted on September 14th
Old June 5th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #31
Bradfordian

Likes (Received): 7

Anyone know whats happened to this No.1 hamm strasse project?
and has anyone actually seen the state of that thing above now?
Bradfordian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #32
Quinqueue

Likes (Received): 2

They got it weathertight then put it up for sale as part finished IIRC, no idea if it actually did sell.
Quinqueue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #33
Bradfordian

Likes (Received): 7

At least its not been left half built as it was a while before, although it isnt finished it sort of appears to be, now it has a roof lol
Bradfordian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:23 PM   #34
Carter USM

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
That after they claim it to be Grade A office specification, incredible. It may indeed be better to see it progressed a bit further, but taking a walk right by the site and it is sadly another cheap new build with rather unspectacular imitation stone work.
Stick to semi professional photos Pal. Or understand building materials.
Carter USM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM   #35
Carter USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradfordian View Post
Anyone know whats happened to this No.1 hamm strasse project?
and has anyone actually seen the state of that thing above now?
Block A finished. Main block started 2 weeks ago.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:24 PM   #36
MarkJF

4 years to finish Block A then, cracking stuff!
Old July 3rd, 2013, 06:14 PM   #37
Dan B
BAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter USM View Post
Stick to semi professional photos Pal. Or understand building materials.
Oh hello, what sniping hole did you crawl out of? Great first post and contribution to the forum.

I understand that the design result of buildings from the palette of building materials used are generally substandard in the modern age (at least for run of the mill developments) and this building is certainly no exception. What exactly do I have to understand about them? If the 'imitation stone work' is actual stone, then so be it, though as I often notice, it seems to be cut or reconstituted poorly somehow. I accept the materials are probably largely functional and will do the job (seemingly currently to have made the building watertight after 3 years of nothing happening on it), but in terms of any other aspirations they are null. Perhaps there are no aspirations, and perhaps that's part of the problem in modern building design, an area near-solely guided by market forces, cost effectiveness and close adherence to stringent regulations. While certainly not the worst thing I've seen rise in Bradford, lets say it does not lower my jaw to the floor.

I would hope for more from the certainly more interestingly designed main building, although given its price tag I have my doubts about the quality of its finish.

I would have said that was compact camera amateur photography, thanks for the compliment! I'll be sure to be around with my SLR some time and be more specific about how I find this building uninspiringly designed.

Perhaps you could also stick to semi-professional building work and development pal?

Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:10 PM   #38
Carter USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJF View Post
4 years to finish Block A then, cracking stuff!
It took us 6 months. Thanks anyway.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:14 PM   #39
Carter USM

Quote:
Oh hello, what sniping hole did you crawl out of? Great first post and contribution to the forum.

I understand that the design result of buildings from the palette of building materials used are generally substandard in the modern age (at least for run of the mill developments) and this building is certainly no exception. What exactly do I have to understand about them? If the 'imitation stone work' is actual stone, then so be it, though as I often notice, it seems to be cut or reconstituted poorly somehow. I accept the materials are probably largely functional and will do the job (seemingly currently to have made the building watertight after 3 years of nothing happening on it), but in terms of any other aspirations they are null. Perhaps there are no aspirations, and perhaps that's part of the problem in modern building design, an area near-solely guided by market forces, cost effectiveness and close adherence to stringent regulations. While certainly not the worst thing I've seen rise in Bradford, lets say it does not lower my jaw to the floor.

I would hope for more from the certainly more interestingly designed main building, although given its price tag I have my doubts about the quality of its finish.

I would have said that was compact camera amateur photography, thanks for the compliment! I'll be sure to be around with my SLR some time and be more specific about how I find this building uninspiringly designed.

Perhaps you could also stick to semi-professional building work and development pal?

Will do.

If you need a job for PR stuff, then I will let the buyer know.

On a more positive note. Wouldn't you rather see something happening in a City that clearly needs it?
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:34 PM   #40
Quinqueue

Likes (Received): 2

Of course it is, but Bradford is not really short of office space, and much of the available space is much more central, being positioned out at Hamm Strasse is going to make it tough to get tennents, especially if, as some of the posters here are suggesting, the quality isn't spot on.

Personally I'm going to hold fire until I get a chance to take a look in person.
Quinqueue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
office