daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
Poland 0 0%
Ukraine 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 10th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #41
EllasOle

Likes (Received): 0

For 2008, Greece and Turkey were close to being the hosts. This time around both feel that they can host one by themselves and I agree with that. I feel that it will be down to these two countries in the end. Italy has hosted enough football tournaments in the past and it's time for someone different. Olympics don't count when it comes to hosting a Euro and either does a CL final. People that are talking about England probably don't realize that they have hosted a Euro as recently as 1996. I don't think that UEFA will want 2 Euros in a row to be co-hosted as it takes away from the clubs that are actually trying to qualify for the tournament as it is hard enough to qualify for it when there are 15 spots. Personally, I think that Greece has a slight edge over Turkey because of the experience and infrastructure that the Olympics brought.
EllasOle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 10th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #42
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 361

I hope so
Old July 10th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #43
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllasOle
For 2008, Greece and Turkey were close to being the hosts. This time around both feel that they can host one by themselves and I agree with that.
I disagree, especially with the Greece alone bit.

Most of the greek stadiums have running tracks and I believe there's a UEFA limit of how many can be used (correct me if I'm wrong), so many new one's would have to be constructed. Also most greek teams arn't well supported so can the Greeks afford to build so many new big stadiums that may prove to be white elephants after the tournament?

A joint Turkey/Greece bid would've been very strong but I believe this tournament will go to either Italy or Russia.
NavyBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #44
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 52

UEFA allows just 2 stadiums with running tacks. Also, for the bid chance at least 3 of the stadiums must already be existing, above 30.000 ppl capacity.. So, both Turkey and Greece have 3 stadiums wich s enough for the UEFA criterians now and 2 of 3 of the both countries are with Running Track,(for Greece, Thessaloniki and OAKA, for Turkey, Izmir and Istanbul Olympic stadiums). Both of them must build 5 more new stadiums only for footbal, without running track, (for Greece, Karaiskaki of Pireas- For Turkey Fenerhahçe of Istanbul)...

But I also regard Russia as a strong candiate, for me stronger than Italy. Italy is candiate, but they don't seem so willing and have no enthusiasm to host the tournement. Maybe because they organized the biggest torunement of the world before. Italian clubs want this tournement to have new stadiums, but people don't seem enthusiastic... Others want to show their selves, they say " hey we are here too", that's all...But only Turkey, Greece and Russia are so willing. one of those 3 wil get it and personal connections will effect the final result (I don't mean fake or trick)
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #45
Christos7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue
I disagree, especially with the Greece alone bit.

Most of the greek stadiums have running tracks and I believe there's a UEFA limit of how many can be used (correct me if I'm wrong), so many new one's would have to be constructed. Also most greek teams arn't well supported so can the Greeks afford to build so many new big stadiums that may prove to be white elephants after the tournament?

A joint Turkey/Greece bid would've been very strong but I believe this tournament will go to either Italy or Russia.

Stadiums ready

Olympic Stadium 75,000

Karaiskaki Stadium 33,000

Stadiums existing needing minor upgrades in capacity

* Note, there a rumors of maybe lowering the pitches and having temporary stands added so they can be made into football only and have capacity upgraded

Kaftanzoglio, Thessaloniki 40,000 (from 28,000)

Pampeloponnesiako, Patra 30,000 (from 23,500)

Pancretan, Crete 30,000 (from 27,500)

New Stadiums

Panathinaikos - 45,000-50,000

One of the biggest clubs in Greece, will have no problem with capacity and usage.

Larisa - 32,000

Larisa is THE biggest club out of Thessaloniki/Athens area (only team to win a title outside of them), has a huge following, and regularly sells out. No problem with attendence as usage here.

Ioannina - 30,000

Has a football team and potential for drawing crowds, but their stadium is very poor. Also 10,000 seats are said to be temporary for this stadium, so it will drop to 20,000 after the games.

Serres - 30,000

Very similar to Ioannina.

Another stadium that I would not count out of the mix yet is Toumba in Thessaloniki for PAOK. They need a new stadium and have been dancing around it for years. They are one of the biggest clubs in Greece (biggest in Thessaloniki) and have a good following. This will be a perfect (and maybe only real) opportunity to get a stadium. I think this will make the bid in place of Volos in the end.

At the worst, we will have 4 stadiums with a track. (may be only 1 in the end if rumors are true). We have 2 existing stadiums, 3 which need minor expansions, and a possible 5 to be built.

* Note, Panathinaikos and Larisa will build new stadiums with or without winning the bid.

PS I remembering reading through the rules for hosting a tournament, and I didn't read anything about a limit on tracks. Anybody have a link?
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #46
Giorgio

i thought there adding a second tier to Karaiskaki
Old July 10th, 2005, 07:06 PM   #47
Giorgio

after noticing a recent jump in turkeys votes, i did some investigating and found this!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=233100

once aagin, our turkish friend Kuvvaci has made a thread in the israel forum asking for votes!

Kuvacci started this thread wanting to no opinion......and then he asks for votes!!!!

Old July 10th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #48
Christos7

I never heard about any 2nd tier for Karaiskaki.

As for the poll, who really cares.... these things are always a joke anywy.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #49
johnz88
polska88

Mo Rush - I really dont think that Poland will be using the Slask stadion with a 25000 cap. If they are, there would be a new stadium built. Plus you forgot the stadium to be built in Warsaw, 35000-40000.
Old July 10th, 2005, 10:12 PM   #50
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::G!oRgOs::.
after noticing a recent jump in turkeys votes, i did some investigating and found this!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=233100

once aagin, our turkish friend Kuvvaci has made a thread in the israel forum asking for votes!

Kuvacci started this thread wanting to no opinion......and then he asks for votes!!!!

your investigation was not properly as I saw, only 3 of them are from Israel

Be carefull then
Old July 10th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #51
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos7
I never heard about any 2nd tier for Karaiskaki.

As for the poll, who really cares.... these things are always a joke anywy.
Yes, this is for fun, neither I nor you will decide. But, with the sake of this poll, we ccan see the sttadiums, I am sure nobody would have sent those stadium pictures, it it was not poll, and there was no competition...

BTW, Christos, do you consider Pireas as other city?
Old July 10th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #52
PreGy
(T pr0viNcia

Likes (Received): 30

As european, I think Poland and Ukraine need it more.

Greece would be my second option.
"Carthagineses, Romanos, Mercenarios y tropas auxiliares. Damas y caballeros. En estos tiempos confusos, tiempos de desorientación y orfandad, tiempos en que muchos a quienes conocemos bien no saben ni quien fue su padre, Cartagena, la antigua Carthago Nova, la antigua Qart-Hadast, la antigua Mastia y quizá la Tharsis bíblica, demuestra cada año, por estas fechas, que sabe perfectamente quienes son sus padres, sus abuelos y los abuelos de sus abuelos." Arturo Pérez-Reverte
PreGy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 11:38 PM   #53
pitq

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush

Stadium Chorzow 43,000

Stadion Slaska 25,000

Actually the first picture presents Satdion Slaski in Chorzow. This one will be expanded to 50.000 and covered with the roof. Second one is and has nothing to do with EURO 2012. The rest of stadiums chosen for EURO2012 in Poland will be just built :
Warsaw 35.000-50.000
Krakow 30.000-35.000 (one sector behin the goal is already under construction):

Poznan 40.000one sector is already built only roof is missing

Gdansk 35.000
pitq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #54
LuckyLuke

Italy would be cool but it hold already the Eurocup 2 times and there will be the next winter olympics so I will vote for Poland-Ukraine.
LuckyLuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:20 AM   #55
boots
boots

Croatia-Hungary you`ll see
boots no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:38 AM   #56
Christos7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci
Yes, this is for fun, neither I nor you will decide. But, with the sake of this poll, we ccan see the sttadiums, I am sure nobody would have sent those stadium pictures, it it was not poll, and there was no competition...

BTW, Christos, do you consider Pireas as other city?

Yes I agree, we get to discuss and see stadiums... (I just learned alot about Poland/Ukraine).

As for Pireas, no I don't really consider it a different city but technically I believe they may be able to get away with it... in the "official" bid, 2 from Athens (OAKA and New PAO) and 1 from Pireas (Karaiskaki) were included. So maybe I am right....

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #57
Kawir

Croatia-Hungary
Kawir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #58
DaDvD

Likes (Received): 2

Italy! Its stadiums are the best of all those:
Olympic Stadium- Rome- 82,000

San Siro- Milan- 85,700

Delle Alpi- Torino- 71,000 (its capacity will increase by building seats on the running-track)

San Nicola Stadium- Bari- 58,300

San Paolo Stadium- Napoli- 72,800

DaDvD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #59
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 1956

Delle Alpi will be a new Stadium
i think the capacity will be around 40,000

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #60
pitq

Likes (Received): 26

No way EURO2012 must be in Poland and Ukraine
pitq no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
euro 2012, infrastruktura sportowa, polish stadiums, ukraine, ukraine stadiums, ukrainian stadiums