daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:20 PM   #21
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 14847

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergone View Post
and if anyone says phila can be a global city i will laugh and maybe report you lollllllllllllllll lsmic
Whatever, troll.

Philadelphia stands on its own regardless of the perceptions out there. It's growing again ( back over 1.5 million ) and it has a metro of nearly 6,000,000.
Whatever people think, Philly will always be a major city and a huge chunk of the megalopolis. And it will always be taller than every other city except New York in the megalopolis. ( and even that could change )
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:32 PM   #22
philadweller

Likes (Received): 3

Boston and Washington DC are clearly Philadelphia's little brothers. Philadelphia is the second largest city on the east coast. Philadelphia also has the 3rd highest downtown population the country. It is more like a small New York or Chicago.

I moved from Boston to Philadelphia. Philly is much more of a big city.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:19 PM   #23
Abidrovia

Likes (Received): 13

i don't even know why this is being debated!!!!!! Philadelphia is the 4th largest city in the country!!!! Of course it is noteworthy, it is on the level of other North American mega-cities such as NYC, Toronto, LA, Mexico City and Chicago!
Abidrovia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:21 PM   #24
StreetView
25º25'S 49º15'W

Likes (Received): 0

I've been to Philly only once and I think it's quite an interesting place. I was expecting much less than what I got, due to its bad reputation when it comes to crime. All my friends in Colorado were saying "there's a lot of crime there" or "it's a dirty city", but like I said, I was very surprised in a good way when I went down there.

It definitely has city vibes, especially when compared to the average US city, although it seems to be asleep in some areas. Some neighborhoods have a lot of abandoned houses and businesses and that's even in some areas close to downtown, alson there are structures that show their age and haven't been remodeled in years, so that's what I mean with "asleep". Like many posters said, it has a lot of history should be interesting for anyone who likes history, not just Americans. They have buildings that have been there for so long and are really great, like the City Hall, not to mention the Independence Hall.

Overall I think it definitely stands out from most cities in the country, as Philadelphia has a lot of urban parks, squares, is pretty walkable and has a decent mass transit system (some people say it's excellent, but locals tend to claim it's not even good). As for the economy, as far as I know there are 7 Fortune-1000 companies based in Philadelphia (city proper) and 21 more companies based in the Delaware Valley. I think Philly should be included in the list with Boston, NYC and DC and with these newer trends of gentrification and redeveloping downtown areas throughout the country, Philly has all it takes to be amidst the greatest cities in the US.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:00 AM   #25
philadweller

Likes (Received): 3

Has bergone ever been to Philadelphia? Who is downfallen by the way?
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:02 AM   #26
Xusein
Xornimo

Likes (Received): 3117

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergone View Post
Sorry, but IMO, Phila is like baltimore, providence, and detroit. DC, Boston, and NY rule the corridor and possibly are among the six most important cities in our country.

THREAD OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you have your mind all made up, why did you create this thread in the first place?
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:46 AM   #27
foadi
oh my buddha

Likes (Received): 1

since when u into deadmau5
foadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 03:21 AM   #28
Xusein
Xornimo

Likes (Received): 3117

Ever since a friend of mine showed me his work. House music 4ever.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 03:43 AM   #29
foadi
oh my buddha

Likes (Received): 1

cewl. he headlined at lovefest in san francisco a couple months ago. lotta hawt half nekkid wimminz there. foadi likey
foadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
boston, new york, philadelphia