daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #1
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 721

Bradford City Centre Regeneration

Restarting the old thread, Bradford may get a huge regeneration, which will simply mean removing all the concrete it doesnt want and replacing it with open space. Roads will go, a lake will be created as well as the reopening of the Bradford Spur of the Leeds-Liverpool canal.

http://www.bradfordurc.co.uk/

The Masterplan for the regeneration of Bradford city centre is to join some of the world’s finest works of art in the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York. The animation of the city’s Masterplan will be added to the world famous museum’s permanent collection this month.

The Masterplan was commissioned by Bradford Centre Regeneration, the company spearheading the transformation of the city centre. It has already attracted international attention and acclaim for its bold vision of a new urban park, complete with the creation of a lake in front of Bradford’s Grade 1-listed City Hall, designed to open up the city’s core and exploit its unusual topography.

Maud Marshall, Chief Executive of Bradford Centre Regeneration said; "It is very exciting to see Bradford on an international stage and getting the recognition it deserves. The Masterplan is a vision for our city’s future that will transform the way we live, work and relax in the city centre. It is clear that even art lovers in New York recognise the value of our city’s vision."

The animation was developed by award winning film company Squint Opera and Masterplan architect Will Alsop. The short film, which brings to life a vision of the city’s future, was originally shown at MoMA as part of an exhibition of leading regeneration projects from around the world called Groundswell: Constructing the Contemporary Landscape. The exhibition was attended by 70,000 visitors in the first week alone. The film so impressed the museum's curator that it has been added to its permanent collection.

Commenting on the achievement Julius Cocke, Squint Opera said; "This is great news for Bradford and Squint Opera. The fact that it was a joint acquisition between the Film and Architecture departments shows its versatility and broad appeal. For the museum it was also a double-first - the first film in the Architectural permanent collection, and the first Architectural work for the Film department. Both the imagery and thinking behind the Masterplan for Bradford’s city centre are truly groundbreaking and were a pleasure to bring to life"

Andy Lebisch, Project Architect of Alsop said; "We have a close working relationship with Squint Opera and they have proven, yet again, that they have a talent for bringing architectural visions to life. The Bradford film effectively conveys the energy and impact of the Masterplan vision."

Check the website for a range of images and a video, which is the vision for Bradford.
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 19th, 2005, 11:45 PM   #2
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

that's a tad amusing - I'm off to New York mid September for 4 days and was planning a trip to MoMA, which would be rather bizarre seeing a masterplan for Bradford on display.

I thought that whole idea with the lakes in the city centre etc was another of Alsop's visions, but not actually expected to the built?!?!?
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:21 AM   #3
Martyn

Likes (Received): 0

i hope you're right, jimbo. it seems much more plausible as a 'plan' than as a reality. there's a different (and much less silly) city centre regeneration project already going on, for a start.

what a bizarre life it must be, to draw buildings that'll never get built and earn a fortune for it. how exactly do you get that job?
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:42 PM   #4
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 404

Alsop doesnt really earn much. Last time I heard, his company was in deep financial trouble.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 11:38 PM   #5
Martyn

shame. maybe realistic designs would be more lucrative? someone should suggest that to him.
Old August 21st, 2005, 12:39 AM   #6
Leeds No.1

Some of his designs could go ahead, maybe with some adaption. I wouldnt mind seeing a lake in Bradfords city centre. The general idea of removing all its unwanted concrete is a pretty simple idea that could work. One inner ring road could be created and like in York a freight distribution centre on the outskirts.
If the scheme was adapted to Bradfords needs it could happen, admittedley over a period of time.
Old August 21st, 2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Martyn

a lake would be a great idea, but one that obliterates most of the city centre? that's just silly. a number of small public spaces would be better than one enormous, empty one. anyway, there are much more urgent improvements needed in bradford than the city hall area: sunbridge road, thornton road, longside lane and the bottom of leeds road for a start. let's see what alsop would do with them.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:24 PM   #8
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 263

I see Bradford have started a large (£300k) advertising campaign stating their regeneration has started (again ?). The logo has storks carrying babies, and the slogan with something like 'the £1.5bn regeneration of Bradford has started'

It was on the front page of the T&A, but the report said that surprise was expressed by some professionals at the sum of money on the advert. The council had sheepishly responded that £0.3bn was committed (with the Broadgate shopping centre), and another £0.3bn was being discussed about some urban village project that I've never heard of, and £0.017bn for the Thornton Road scheme.

I'm all for cities selling themselves, but why do they make such ridiculous claims, it just makes Bradford look a laughing stock when they make these claims that are never going to be met, why not give a more realistic claim that has a chance of being met, like 'the £500m regeneration of Bradford has started'.

Last edited by Rob; September 23rd, 2005 at 09:31 PM.
Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #9
CharlieP

Likes (Received): 610

Pfffffffffffffffffft!
Old September 29th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #10
CharlieP

Likes (Received): 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
Restarting the old thread, Bradford may get a huge regeneration, which will simply mean removing all the concrete it doesnt want
Don't the owners of said concrete get a say in matters?
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #11
Leeds No.1

Well I suppose they do, I don't really know the full details of this plan.
In principle, I think this plan is great and perfectly do-able. I think it would be good to carry this plan out to an extent, but some things might not be possible. I don't think that many new buildings should be built, because although they don't look particularly bad, I would prefer conservation of existion historic buildings OR demolition of unwanted buildings but replacement with smaller buildings or more parkland. I don't think the pier would work, it will split the lake too much- it also looks too tall and blocky, and a bit pointless.

Its a bit of a crazy plan, but theres not much Bradford can lose. It would mean Bradford would be able to improve to a similar standard of what Leeds is now, and make West Yorkshire have 2 major cities, Bradford primarily cultural and tourist. Bradford has great potential to be a major tourist site. Unlike many northern cities, it still preserves much of its history, and some new additions would make it even better. The north of Bradford around Shipley is great too, and can be used to its advantage. I think naturally it might be the case that Leeds' financial growth will affect Bradford and improve the city.
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #12
Bim
Music is my lover.

Likes (Received): 1

Wow that is...AMAZING!
Bim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #13
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 263

Another proposal for Bradford.

A new urban village as part of a 10 year masterplan, around the Forster Sq area.

We will have to keep an eye open for further details on this one.

'A £350m leisure and shopping development which would include the building of a Bradford city centre canal basin has been revealed.
Named "The Channel" the plan envisages flats, cafes, bars, shops and a hotel along with a stand-alone basin which could link with any reopened canal.
Developers behind the scheme said it was a 10-year plan for an urban village opposite Forster Square retail park. City planners are expected to view the scheme in the next few weeks. The project aims to be a "new generation regeneration", not a showpiece development, but a fully-functional urban village where people live, work and relax. And the Bradford firm fronting the idea, Magellan Properties, claim they have an insight into what the citizens want.' BBC Bradford
Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 11:54 PM   #14
Da Bomb

Wow! Looks very impressive.

Delivering On Time, Everytime!
Da Bomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #15
Leeds No.1

Vision of village in heart of the city
By Andrew Hutchinson
A MULTI-MILLION pound plan to make Bradford a blueprint for modern city living has been unveiled.
Developers want to build a canalside village in the city centre with 2,500 new homes.
The Channel scheme would set the stage for one of the biggest regeneration initiatives in the city's history.
It is the first of four sections of the overall masterplan for central Bradford, designed by top architect Will Alsop.
Magellan Properties Ltd, a Shipley-based company, will lead the development.
Ambition
Harold Robinson, chairman of Magellan, said: "I grew up in Bradford and watched the redevelopment of the Forster Square area in the late 1950s and early 60s.
"Since then all we have heard from the people of Bradford is how awful and inappropriate the buildings are – so it has long been my ambition to see something done about it."
Bradford Council leader Margaret Eaton, said: "The plans demonstrate the confidence that major developers now have in the city."

Not much new information but oh well...
Old November 30th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #16
Alexi Lalas

Likes (Received): 20

bradfod is going to look like teletubbie land
Alexi Lalas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #17
Da Bomb

Cinderella city to show the way with blueprint for modern living

£350m canalside village in centre of Bradford

OFTEN compared unfavourably to nearby Leeds, Bradford has never been associated with cutting-edge city life.

But all that is set to change under a £350m plan unveiled yesterday for a canalside village in the city centre, including 2,500 new homes, which developers hope will see Bradford become a blueprint for modern city living.

The Channel scheme, which also proposes the reintroduction of the Bradford branch of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, will set the stage for one of the biggest regeneration schemes in the city's history and create about 500 jobs on the site opposite Forster Square Retail Park. The canal basin forms the focus of the predominantly residential plan, surrounded by trendy apartments, cafés, bars, shops, offices and a hotel.

The Channel is the first of four sections of the overall masterplan for central Bradford, designed by top architect Will Alsop, to begin work and is expected to take 10 years to complete. Alongside the outline application for the whole site, a detailed application for phase one will go before the council before Christmas, meaning the first signs of the project could be visible within 12 months.

The initial phase includes 1,000 flats, 40,000sq ft of cafés, bars and restaurants and 80,000sq ft of offices set in green open space.
Derelict land and warehouses would be cleared to create the canalside community and several businesses at present based on the site would have to relocate while work is carried out.

A team of local architects from Robinson Architects has been busy designing a range of landmark buildings for the project, which has been funded by private money via Bradford Channel Ltd, a new company which was set up to deliver the scheme.

Magellan Properties Ltd, a Shipley-based company which fronts Bradford Channel, will lead the development.
Harold Robinson, chair-man of Magellan, said: "I grew up in Bradford and watched the redevelopment of the Forster Square area in the late 1950s and early Sixties.

"Since then all we have heard from the people of Bradford is how awful and inappropriate the buildings are – so it has long been my ambition to see something done about it.

"We want to produce something that we can be proud of – something that sparks the regeneration of the city – and something that children growing up today will remember in a positive way when they are my age."
Maud Marshall, chief executive of Bradford Centre Regeneration, added: "We are very pleased that such an ambitious plan has been proposed for the Channel neighbourhood.

"The regeneration programme in Bradford is gathering pace and this is one of a number of exciting schemes that are set to change the face of the city, providing new facilities for existing residents and businesses and encouraging others to relocate to Bradford. This is the masterplan in action."

Council leader Coun Margaret Eaton said: "The plans for the Channel demonstrate the confidence that major developers now have in the city and its potential for the future.
"We are keen to encourage more of this sort of large-scale investment as part of Bradford's transformation."

Other areas for rebirth...
The three other 'neigh-bourhoods' in Bradford Centre Regeneration's Masterplan.

n The Bowl: A central feature of the masterplan which would create a lake around City Hall. The focal point of The Bowl would be a pier stretching out to create a natural extension of the National Museum of Photo-graphy Film and Television.

n The Market: The area would create hundreds of new homes in the city centre and link the Rawson Quarter, Kirkgate and Queensgate retail areas. Gardens of Tranquillity near the Drewton Street mosque would create peaceful areas for contemplation and relaxation.

n The Valley: The plan envisages breathing new life into the Thornton area, behind the Alhambra theatre, with new homes, wetlands, play areas, a multi-sensory garden and a bridge, linking further education campuses to the city centre.

Delivering On Time, Everytime!
Da Bomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 02:27 PM   #18
di Livio

Likes (Received): 473

Presumably, this is the site opposite the retail park.

di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 04:37 PM   #19
NaCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by di Livio
Presumably, this is the site opposite the retail park.
Yeah, I'm just trying to think what's where those glass buildings are now. I'm sure it's currently some old mills.
NaCN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #20
Leeds No.1

I happened to be in Bradford tonight; every time I go I notice the dreadful layout of the roads. I think this is one of the main reasons people don't locate to Bradford- it is a nightmare to get around. They seem to have more modern traffic lights than Leeds which is good...