daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #1641
mcarling

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmin View Post
Why more? It's now located on the same side of the road. Previously, you still have to "cross" the road to make a transfer.
It appears to me that, previously, one could transfer on either side of the road. The options have been reduced and the spacing between the NEL and DTL platforms has been increased with the shift of the latter to the west.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #1642
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurakura View Post
i read somewhere that shaghai or beijing was building 10 lines simultaneously and will be done in less than 3 or 4 yrs?
Shanghai and Beijing are each building several lines simultaneously. They desperately need to. Traffic and pollution there are horrible. Shanghai and Beijing have much higher populations and much higher population densities than Singapore, so they can build a line just about anywhere and it will be full to capacity. Singapore does not have that level of demand, so we must be much more careful about planning MRT lines. Also, construction takes longer in Singapore than in China because the soil conditions are different and the safety standards are different.
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #1643
ddes

Likes (Received): 253

The difference in Little India NEL station's outline is misleading, and is probably responsible for the difference in opinions over the transfer distance.

I think we can safely assume that the NEL station definitely doesn't have the area of the original plans, and is in reality, closer to the new plan. If we can accept that, then it is irrelevant comparing the transfer distances, and the only real advantage the original plans bring is allowing passengers who are entering the station from the open space area a direct access into the DTL station in addition to the underpass under the road to the NEL station.

Perhaps maybe LTA decided to put the station in a more shallow position in favor of the NSE, and perhaps, research and surveys studied might have shown that the volume of passengers taking buses might significantly reduce, which is probably the only reason why anyone would wanna get to that side of the road in the first place. To get to Selegie area, Rochor station would be more optimal.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #1644
ddes

Likes (Received): 253

Shanghai and Beijing build subways faster because as mcarling says, they need to. The demand's there, the dust has been finally dusted off the decades-old blueprints...

But they sacrifice a lot of other things like user-friendliness. Many "interchange stations" are not or are "interchanges of chance"; not well integrated, some require you to exit the station while others are horribly long walks to them without any "transfers mass transit" like travelators. Also, alot of lines in Beijing are not wheelchair accessible, which I constantly hear is one of the biggest criticisms of the system.

In China, it's mass transit at it's ultimate - (initial) function over form; everything is simplified to reduce costs and potential system operations complications are eliminated; stations are carbon copies of each other while unlike Singapore, none of the trains are fully automated but since they're built later, they have a kick-ass signal system which we're only adopting now with the new lines. The time consuming process of tenders for rolling stock and various rail equipment is done fast because the only time it takes a long time is the first time with the foreign manufacturers of Alstom, Bombardier and Siemens. After that, technological transfer does its magic and everything's home-made, and central govt planning makes sure that everyone has a fair amount of work to do. Wherever possible, lines are elevated except absolutely necessary.

Last edited by ddes; January 20th, 2010 at 09:05 AM.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #1645
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 40

I presume that in China, the processes of procuring the land for massive development would be swifter. Perhaps land compensation costs do not factor so much in project budgets, simplifying overall planning.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #1646
deskoh91
Land Transport Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 32

personally I think the elevation of the network, less stringent building and fire safety standards as well as an abundance of (cheap) labour gets things done much more quickly than Singapore could.
deskoh91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #1647
sprattel

Likes (Received): 0

And also in either case, it definitely makes more sense to avoid the hassle of having to deal with the canal, from a project point of view.
sprattel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:15 PM   #1648
Aranho

Likes (Received): 15

Yesterday (21 January 2010) at around 6pm to 7pm, I took a little tour around DTL Contract C921 site (Little India MRT Station Section). The pictures were taken by using a 3.2 MP phone camera, although some pictures are blur due to the fact I want to avoid being caught by the on-site workers (on that night, they work til 1am-2am just to do some road works (re-painting the lane markings?).

Site A: Taken from the overhead bridge nearby. On a nearby construction site signage, it did says all works for Contract C921 will be completed by 1st quarter of 2016.

Site B: Some metal bars are being erected on the ground. Probably to strengthen the ground to prepare for canal diversion?

Site C: Taken nearby the furniture shop, facing towards Tekka Centre.

Going further east...

Site D: This section of the LTA Office carpark (all the way to Site B) have been boarded off and construction materials and vehicles are all in there and they are preparing for construction works, based on the updated location of DTL's Little India station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmin View Post
Revised plan
Site E: Temporary buildings for the project site office.

Site F: The bus stop was relocated "1 lane" outwards as part of the realignment along Bukit Timah Road westbound from before KK Hospital to Serangoon Road.

Site G: Some trees along this area has been uprooted.

Site H: All plantations along this stretch on the left-side of the road have been removed and blocked. On the other side of the road, some planations have been removed, notably some trees.

In addition, on the open space outside La-Salle building, a wall of those green barriers two to three times the normal height have been erected at the corner of Sim Lim Square and La-Salle. I have no idea why they do this.

I'll try to updated you guys on the construction activities around Contract C921 area for as long I could.

Last edited by Aranho; January 22nd, 2010 at 05:28 PM.
Aranho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:17 PM   #1649
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurakura View Post
2016......thats like light years away
Light year is a unit of measure for distance
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:31 PM   #1650
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranho View Post
Site B: Some metal bars are being erected on the ground. Probably to strengthen the ground to prepare for canal diversion?
They don't look like pilings to stabilize the soil. They look like I-beams.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:08 AM   #1651
Woz2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone View Post
Light year is a unit of measure for distance
I meant to point that out earlier! I suppose it's entirely likely that Singapore will be in a different position in the universe at the time the station opens, so you could arguably measure the displacement in lightyears (though you'd end up with a very small fraction of one).

Isn't it entirely possible that the 2016 sign is just playing it safe and is actually the target for the DTL3 completion? With works at Rochor continuing until the completion of DTL3, it's conceivable that the Little India area will be affected traffic-wise so they just want to give proper warnings.
Woz2024 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:04 AM   #1652
CityGlide
Come fly with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranho View Post
Yesterday (21 January 2010) at around 6pm to 7pm, I took a little tour around DTL Contract C921 site (Little India MRT Station Section). The pictures were taken by using a 3.2 MP phone camera, although some pictures are blur due to the fact I want to avoid being caught by the on-site workers

I'll try to updated you guys on the construction activities around Contract C921 area for as long I could.

Dont worry, there is nothing wrong taking photos from outside the construction site.
CityGlide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #1653
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Some changes to Rochor Canal

29 Jan 2010

SINGAPORE: Come this April, the landscape of city-bound Bukit Timah Road along the Rochor Canal will look different.

As part of the construction work of phase two of the MRT Downtown Line (DTL2), the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has started work this month on realigning 1.2 kilometres of the Rochor Canal.

The realignment will allow the traffic to be diverted above the canal so that there is sufficient space to build Little India Station.

LTA is also moving some 200 trees along the canal to other parks such as Gardens by the Bay.

The foundation work is expected to be finished by April.

The 16.6-kilometre-long DTL2 comprises one depot at Gali Batu and 12 stations stretching from Rochor, along Bukit Timah Road and Bukit Panjang, to Petir.

Giving an update on the DTL2 since its ground-breaking ceremony last July, project engineer Darren Lau told MediaCorp that contractors are finalising the design of nine of the stations.

Construction work has already started on three of the stations: Rochor, Little India and Beauty World.

When completed, the Rochor and Little India stations will be the only MRT stations in Singapore that are built entirely under a water body.

Said Mr Lau: "The downtown line is currently one of the most challenging underground rail projects as it passes through varied soil conditions along the stretch."

To assist shop owners and residents who may be affected by the traffic diversion, LTA has also briefed them on the Rochor Canal alignment.

LTA's senior executive of project communications, Mr Spencer Lim, said: "We normally produce circulars to inform them where the diversions will be. We will go door-to-door and shop-to-shop to brief so that we can see what we can help them on."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...033888/1/.html
Old January 29th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #1654
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprattel View Post
And also in either case, it definitely makes more sense to avoid the hassle of having to deal with the canal, from a project point of view.
Some news on changes to the canal that I'd also posted in the other thread on Downtown Line.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...033888/1/.html
Old January 30th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #1655
redstone
Lurker

Oh, the tracks go below the canal?
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #1656
Aranho

Likes (Received): 15

Based on the news of road diversions along eastbound Bukit Timah Road Little India Section, here are my predictions of the road diversions:

Prediction 1: Does not go over most of the canal and joining back one tunnel by one tunnel (road goes back above south tunnel then moves north to north tunnel [purple], if the Tunnel Boring Machine [TBM] bores to north first then south).

Prediction 2: Covers most stretch of the canal and joins back to the normal road over both tunnel (considering the TBM bores both tunnels first).

Btw, I don't know the diameter used for the TBM so I am assuming that the TBM is big enough to fit through the road surface the NEL tunnel.
Aranho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #1657
redstone
Lurker

I hope they would reinstate the canal, and renovate it.
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:55 AM   #1658
Andrew

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Shanghai and Beijing are each building several lines simultaneously. They desperately need to. Traffic and pollution there are horrible. Shanghai and Beijing have much higher populations and much higher population densities than Singapore, so they can build a line just about anywhere and it will be full to capacity. Singapore does not have that level of demand, so we must be much more careful about planning MRT lines. Also, construction takes longer in Singapore than in China because the soil conditions are different and the safety standards are different.
Singapore may be slow compared to China, but it's still pretty fast compared to many other developed countries with already good infrastructure. Singapore has built its entire MRT network in the time it's taken for London's Crossrail line to get off the drawing board to the start of actual construction! Now they're finally starting to build it, but it probably won't be fully complete before 2020. Singapore's Downtown line will have been in service for 2 and a half to 3 years by then! No point in comparing Singapore to China, nowhere builds as fast as them.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 05:34 AM   #1659
kenmin
SingaporeRail

Wonder what's causing the delay to DTL3. According to plan, construction should start in April this year, but they haven't even called for tender yet.
kenmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:44 PM   #1660
striker278

Is there a possibility that DTL3 will not stop at tampines east-west line?
striker278 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mrt