daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #41
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linea2 View Post
Do you know whom the maker is of the trolleybuses used in Córdoba, Argentina ? They possibly are of the SYWG-110A type, but I´m not shure about the maker. They are called the "Norinco" but to me, could them possibly be of Shenfeng or Shenyang make ? Do you know what means SYWG ? I guess SY is for Shenyang or Shenfeng, but could WG be for Wuhan ? And what could be Hualong ? Thank you in advance.
It was known for a fact that Cordoba purchased trolley-buses from Shenyang at the time when Shenyang axed its own trolley system. WG is for wu-gui, the Chinese word for track less.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #42
ode of bund

Shanghai is eyeing to axe two more trolley-bus routes. The blacklisted trolley routes this time are 13 and 20.

Route 13 is a major east-west cross town trolley route on Changshou Road and Tianmu Road corridor at the northern edge of downtown Shanghai. In the late 1980s it was infiltrated by a premium route, route 905, whose initial purpose was to alleviate the pressure of high ridership on route 13. Route 905 ran a slightly longer course than route 13, and covered the entire length of route 13, it got renumbered as route 922 in early 1990s. For many years the fare difference between the 13 and 922 gave a significant advantage for the trolley route in which the savings from trolley service attracted more low income riders who calculated every penny on their daily journey. Now since the fare has been unified, the shorter version service is quickly losing the edge, today route 922 is not only running a longer route length with better connections to the metro station at Zhongshan (Dr. Sun Yat-sen) Park (中山公园), but also running longer hours and more frequent services. Beginning in 2002, route 13 was extended to Zhongshan Park for several years, the terminus at Zhongshan Park was still 200 meters short from the metro station, but nevertheless helped to win back some ridership. But later on route 13 was forced to retreat back to the current terminus at Tsaojiadu (曹家渡)which is not a significant rider destination. Now under the name to eliminate repetition and "consolidate" transit resources, routes 13 and 922 will be combined, the new route will run the current route 922's course but retain route 13's route number. All trolleys on route 13 will be redistributed to other routes, and Shanghai has no intension to further purchase new conventional trolley-buses, so when the current fleet of Sunwin and Hangzhou Changjiang trolley coaches reach the end of their life expectancy, it will be the end of Shanghai's trolley service.

The other possible conversion is the golden sign board on China's most flourishing commercial street, the route 20, which will be converted to battery buses in an effort to eliminate trolley overhead wires and "beautify" Nanjing Road. Here are some nocturnal photographing of Nanjing Road.

Nanjing (or Nanking as some old literature refers to) Road, the most bustling commercial street in China.

http://bbs.52bus.com/attachments/mon...c18a83fe3f.jpg

Jiujiang Road, one block south of Nanjing Road
http://bbs.52bus.com/attachments/mon...09b1b49af8.jpg

http://bbs.52bus.com/attachments/mon...6c32793727.jpg

http://bbs.52bus.com/attachments/mon...4aca180a99.jpg

Terminus at the Bund, one the best known waterfront in the world.
http://bbs.52bus.com/attachments/mon...66ddd40e4d.jpg

http://bbs.52bus.com/attachments/mon...6b19397c5b.jpg

Still at the Bund terminus, the iconic Oriental Pearl Tower is standing in the background.
http://bbs.52bus.com/attachments/mon...0e35bf9d24.jpg

East Nanjing Road, Approaching the Bund.
http://bbs.52bus.com/attachments/mon...9861f664fb.jpg

http://bbs.52bus.com/attachments/mon...edcdcbd158.jpg

http://bbs.52bus.com/attachments/mon...61143a0d38.jpg

(Courtesy of the original photographer)
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #43
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 272

Thanks Ode of Bund for providing the detailed explanation I omitted.
NCT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #44
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

Likes (Received): 1775

Can someone tell me the point of trolleybuses? I've never really understood their use. Either use normal buses or electric buses. How is a trolley bus a better option? I'm really curious.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #45
FDW

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Can someone tell me the point of trolleybuses? I've never really understood their use. Either use normal buses or electric buses. How is a trolley bus a better option? I'm really curious.
Trolley buses are Electric buses, they just get their power from an overhead wire, like trams. Their real advantage comes when the power that the buses is literally, as is the case of San Francisco, where the buses are powered by the same dam that also provides much of the cities water supply. (The Dams name is O'Shaughnessy Dam.)
Come to Alternatehistory.com, we've got triumphant nazi's, steampunk nazi revolutionary french, president john wayne, president walt disney, america conquers the world, and antarctic civilizations that mordor look civilized. (and did we forget to mention the triumphant nazi's?)
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #46
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Wires are still the cheapest and most reliable way of providing power to the 'electric' buses. Battery, capacitor and hybrid technologies are being developed but they are still quite far from ready for mass everyday use, not to mention the environmental impact of used batteries and capacitors.
NCT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #47
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Trolley buses are Electric buses, they just get their power from an overhead wire, like trams. Their real advantage comes when the power that the buses is literally, as is the case of San Francisco, where the buses are powered by the same dam that also provides much of the cities water supply. (The Dams name is O'Shaughnessy Dam.)
Too bad they break down all the time, the connections always seem to fall off, and given the narrow streets of SF, creates a ton of localized congestion.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #48
FDW

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Too bad they break down all the time, the connections always seem to fall off, and given the narrow streets of SF, creates a ton of localized congestion.
I ride the bus almost everywhere in SF, and I can say that they're reliable, especially since they retired the last of the old New Flyers from the 1970's, and many of the streets the Trolleybuses are on are not particularly choked with cars, if anything it's the cars that generate the most congestion in this city, not buses.
Come to Alternatehistory.com, we've got triumphant nazi's, steampunk nazi revolutionary french, president john wayne, president walt disney, america conquers the world, and antarctic civilizations that mordor look civilized. (and did we forget to mention the triumphant nazi's?)
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #49
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
I ride the bus almost everywhere in SF, and I can say that they're reliable, especially since they retired the last of the old New Flyers from the 1970's, and many of the streets the Trolleybuses are on are not particularly choked with cars, if anything it's the cars that generate the most congestion in this city, not buses.
Nobody mentioned anything about overall congestion, all I'm saying is that broken down buses create localized backups. This is especially a PITA in streets with only 1-2 lanes each way.

Having buses are no doubt better than having no buses at all, and you can't deny the fact that they don't emit greenhouse gases, etc.

I was only making the point that they break down quite often, much more so, then say, a vehicle that's not tethered to the electric cables. I go to SF 1-2 times a week, and I see a bus just helpless on the side of the rode with its driver outside, waiting for the truck to come and put the pantograph back onto the cables, at least once a month.

I've never seen occurrences of this on a railed vehicle, I wonder why they derail so often.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #50
Transira

Likes (Received): 12

Trolleybuses in Riad (Riyadh)?

http://forum.transira.ro/viewtopic.php?t=4092

Old March 28th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #51
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post

I was only making the point that they break down quite often, much more so, then say, a vehicle that's not tethered to the electric cables. I go to SF 1-2 times a week, and I see a bus just helpless on the side of the rode with its driver outside, waiting for the truck to come and put the pantograph back onto the cables, at least once a month.
In my city, dewirements do occur, but usually they are quickly fixed because the driver can put the pantographs back manually.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #52
Transira

Likes (Received): 12

New trolleybuses Solaris Trollino 18 ("Metro style") for Salzburg.

Foto: Robert Kindl.

http://forum.transira.ro/viewtopic.php?t=2730&start=30

Daniel_Sousa liked this post
Transira no está en línea   Reply With Quote