daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Greater L.A. Area

Greater L.A. Area Urban Issues Outside the L.A. City Limits » Orange County | Ventura County | San Bernardino and Riverside Counties

Old November 13th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #1
ChrisLA

Likes (Received): 2

Part 2 Suburbs The Inland Empire of Southern Cali

Rancho Cucamonga:
The next day, as we were coming back from Claremont for a 2nd visit but this time we drove. Claremont is about a 10 min drive west down the freeway, or 3 Metrolink stations away.

image hosted on flickr

BTW sorry about the hazy look, I took some of these from my brother in-law tinted & dirty window of his truck. It was actually quite clear, so no jokes about the smog
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Looking north towards Mt Baldy. You can see pretty much how low the snow level can get during the winter months
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

As you can see Rancho Cucamonga is a new suburb as compared to Claremont a mere 10 minutes away.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Normally I wouldn't post this, but this is actually just outside the Metrolink Rancho Cucamonga train station. Although unlike Claremont station everything is at your fingertips, this is still easy to reach walking.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This is actually a mexican restaurant they just built not long ago.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Don't just wish you had this view of the mountains? I used to live in the next city over, and my bedroom window had this same view. It was especially nice when there was snow on them. Its the one thing I miss about living in that part of the metro.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Typical suburban stuff.
image hosted on flickr

Well this is what $400,000 will get you, 50 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Bonus Pictures: From the window of the Metrolink Train, heading back to the city, Monterey Park, East Los Angeles/Boyle Heights region.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I'm sure you all can figure out what these are.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Thats all folks, I hope you enjoyed the tour.
ChrisLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 13th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #2
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 4

nice pics though Im not a big fan of either Rancho Cucamanga or Claremont they still seem like pretty nice suburbs
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #3
jessemh431

Likes (Received): 11

That area looks really nice. I'll add that to my list of places to move back to when I get a family.
jessemh431 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #4
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Rancho Cucamonga:
The next day, as we were coming back from Claremont for a 2nd visit but this time we drove. Claremont is about a 10 min drive west down the freeway, or 3 Metrolink stations away.

image hosted on flickr

What's the name of these projects? And I must say I love how on your way back the scenery went from "safe" suburban gradually turned into nasty & gritty LA w/ tagging and projects to boot.

Last edited by klamedia; November 14th, 2007 at 02:52 PM.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #5
ChrisLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
image hosted on flickr

What's the name of these projects?
I believe they are the William Mead Homes (Projects). I read they were built in 1942.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:51 PM   #6
Dimension
I have class

Likes (Received): 19

Do my area nextlol
Dimension no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:57 PM   #7
ChrisLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
Do my area nextlol
What area is that?
Old November 24th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #8
Dimension
I have class

Likes (Received): 19

Ocean North - Pelican Hill Gc on East Coast Highway.

You take a right on Newport Coastal Drive and then a left on San Joaquin Hills Road. That is my area with streets of the main streets and nothing much going on. Its next to Laguna Coast Wilderness Park.
Dimension no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #9
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 3

nice thread,
though the gritty pics are ten thousand times more interesting,
the rancho pics are great before pics, and then
have some after pics 50-60 years from now,
the older areas of LA are so much more interesting,

btw nice shot of the parking lot of the LA county Hospital where I did
residency, I miss Boyle Heights!
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM   #10
ChrisLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
nice thread,
though the gritty pics are ten thousand times more interesting,
the rancho pics are great before pics, and then
have some after pics 50-60 years from now,
the older areas of LA are so much more interesting,

btw nice shot of the parking lot of the LA county Hospital where I did
residency, I miss Boyle Heights!
Thanks, I glad you enjoyed the thread. I also agree with you that the older areas of LA are the most interesting, and my favorite.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 07:45 PM   #11
Macross21

Likes (Received): 0

I grew up in those projects in the 90s. I remember when I first came there as a young child by bus the driver said it was called Brick City Projects. It's been called Doggtown projects for years named after the gang that over-powers it. The place is relatively safe in the morning, but extremely dangerous at night. My friends (who live in there too) and I would either stay indoors all night or go out and not come home until the morning. Coming home in the night usually meant trouble, and as a kid even walking home from school in the wrong path could mean loosing all your money and sometimes your clothes. There's been times kids would walked home beatup and naked because they went the wrong path. Sometimes these thugs would just wait for people to come home just to beat them up for fun, it wasn't even about money. Many sad stories there, just so many gang-bangers, drug-dealers, drug-abusers, and just bad-influence people living there.

Many people had no choice but to deal with it becuase it was very cheap rent and the only place they could afford. Most of these families are immigrant families with low income. Predominantly Mexican with a smaller mixture of Asia families. For myself and my friends we lived there because we were kids and our families couldn't afford to move. Our families being from Asia wanted to be close to Chinatown. If you could ignore or avoid these thugs it wasn't so bad. I would like to say that there are alot of decent people living there, I know alot of people that grew up there when to good colleges and made a respectable living for themseleves. I would like to think I have done well for myself now being 5 years out of college and just buying my first home in a middle class neigborhood.

I've gone by the place recently and it looks like it's gotten much better. I don't feel the negative vibes I once did as a kid. Also the area in general has changed, much development and construction to improve the area has taken place it seems in the past couple of years. If anything this place has taught me it is that life in america isn't easy, if you want the american dream you got to work hard to get it.
Macross21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #12
ChrisLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macross21 View Post
I grew up in those projects in the 90s. I remember when I first came there as a young child by bus the driver said it was called Brick City Projects. It's been called Doggtown projects for years named after the gang that over-powers it. The place is relatively safe in the morning, but extremely dangerous at night. My friends (who live in there too) and I would either stay indoors all night or go out and not come home until the morning. Coming home in the night usually meant trouble, and as a kid even walking home from school in the wrong path could mean loosing all your money and sometimes your clothes. There's been times kids would walked home beatup and naked because they went the wrong path. Sometimes these thugs would just wait for people to come home just to beat them up for fun, it wasn't even about money. Many sad stories there, just so many gang-bangers, drug-dealers, drug-abusers, and just bad-influence people living there.

Many people had no choice but to deal with it becuase it was very cheap rent and the only place they could afford. Most of these families are immigrant families with low income. Predominantly Mexican with a smaller mixture of Asia families. For myself and my friends we lived there because we were kids and our families couldn't afford to move. Our families being from Asia wanted to be close to Chinatown. If you could ignore or avoid these thugs it wasn't so bad. I would like to say that there are alot of decent people living there, I know alot of people that grew up there when to good colleges and made a respectable living for themseleves. I would like to think I have done well for myself now being 5 years out of college and just buying my first home in a middle class neigborhood.

I've gone by the place recently and it looks like it's gotten much better. I don't feel the negative vibes I once did as a kid. Also the area in general has changed, much development and construction to improve the area has taken place it seems in the past couple of years. If anything this place has taught me it is that life in america isn't easy, if you want the american dream you got to work hard to get it.

Thanks for sharing your story, I took grew up poor, but in Watts, and parts of south central LA. At one time we lived down about a 1/2 mile up the the street from the Jordon Down Projects. Even for someone who grew up in a rough area, I knew to avoid the project at all cost. It was a completly different culture for the folks living in them. We had a family friend who did live in JD's off and on over the years. I remember as a teenager my sister and I helping her move in. We spent the night over, and all I can remember was all night was a lot of ruckus going on. Yet in the mornings is was quiet and peaceful until about noon. I just remember thinking to myself, there is no way I could live here.
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #13
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 1098

very pastoral suburbs
Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote