daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 13th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #1
pixel2008
since 2008

Likes (Received): 0

2010 Global Financial Centers Index report

Top two Global Financial Centers according to the latest Global Financial Centers Index report published by the City of London are London and New York City.

"The index is compiled in terms of several instrumental factors, including availability of professional workforce, business climate, market access, basic infrastructure, general competitiveness, capital availability and digitization.

New York tied with London at the top of the global rating for the first time, while Hong Kong and Singapore remained at third and fourth places, respectively. But the report said the total scores of the two centers have continued to rise, while the gap between London and New York has been narrowing steadily". (http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_...=news_Business Taiwan News).

TOP 10 GLOBAL FINANCIAL CENTERS:
--------------------------------------
1. London, New York City
3. Hong Kong
4. Singapore
5. Tokyo
6. Chicago
7. Zurich
8. Geneva
9. Shenzen, Sydney

"London has lost its crown as the pre-eminent home of banking and finance, as it tied for the first time with New York in the latest ranking of financial centres.

Fears about a regulatory backlash and new taxes drove down London’s score by 14 points to tie with New York at 775 points, in the Global Financial Centres Index compiled by Z/Yen for the City of London Corporation.

London was one of only four cities to lose points in the semi-annual ranking, which combines a survey of financial professionals with factors such as office rental rates, airport satisfaction and transport. New York’s score rose by only 1 point".

/By Brooke Masters: Financial Times http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/31521254-2...nclick_check=1/

"New York Catches Up to London as Finance Center.

London lost its position as top financial center for the first time and is now tied with New York, according to a ranking of global financial centers published Friday. Planned tax increases on bonuses and uncertainties about future banking regulation hurt the British capital’s popularity among global investors and other financial professionals".

/From DealBook Julia Werdigier: The New York Times: http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/20...%202010&st=cse/

Last edited by pixel2008; March 14th, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
pixel2008 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old March 13th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Anderson Geimz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Full list:
http://217.154.230.218/NR/rdonlyres/...S_GFC7full.pdf
Anderson Geimz no está en línea  
Old March 14th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #3
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 643

This thread's gonna be closed any minute now...

I'm surprised to see Sydney tied at number 9 (and ahead of cities like Toronto, Mexico City, Sao Paolo etc.)

Sydney's economic importance extends across Asia and Oceania, but that's about it.
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #4
pixel2008
since 2008

As for me, it is a surprise that Singapore ranks higher than Tokyo on the list. Also I've never regarded cities such as Geneva, Shenzen, and Chicago as GLOBAL financial centers.

Geneva is a home to many important international organizations and is widely referred to as a worldwide center for diplomacy, but I wasn't aware the city could be associated with finance. Shenzen and Chicago are both great business cities, but I didn't know they are so "global".
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #5
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 18560

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel2008 View Post
As for me, it is a surprise that Singapore ranks higher than Tokyo on the list. Also I've never regarded cities such as Geneva, Shenzen, and Chicago as GLOBAL financial centers.

Geneva is a home to many important international organizations and is widely referred to as a worldwide center for diplomacy, but I wasn't aware the city could be associated with finance. Shenzen and Chicago are both great business cities, but I didn't know they are so "global".
The same could be said of Washington DC, Beijing, etc. In the end, it's just a list and it seems everybody has a damn list.
desertpunk no está en línea  
Old March 14th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #6
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 248

HK, come on you can do better! i'm actually surprised that shanghai is not in the top10. it sure is one of the most emerging financial centers in our time.
Old March 14th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 625

It's a report conducted by the City of London and should probably be taken with a grain of salt. Mastercard and FP do the same sort of ranking, and yet they all come out with different results.

I dropped you off at the train station, And put a kiss on top of your head
I watched you wave, I watched you wave
Then I went on home to my skyscrapers, Neon lights and waiting papers
That I call home, I call it home

- Adele
Looking/Up no está en línea  
Old March 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #8
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 1723

Both Zürich and Geneva are in the Top 10 while Frankfurt is not? I have to say I am surprised.
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #9
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 739

7. Zurich
8. Geneva
both are globle cities, but not "center". paris and frankfurt are more "center" for me
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #10
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 219

The report itself is quite interesting. They also list which cities are likely to have been hurt most by the financial crisis and also financial centres which are expected to grow.

My surprises are Sydney, Zurich, Geneva and Shenzhen (over Shanghai?) which should be lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
HK, come on you can do better! i'm actually surprised that shanghai is not in the top10. it sure is one of the most emerging financial centers in our time.
Best in Asia already, let's not be greedy. ^_^

Last edited by Skybean; March 15th, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
Skybean no está en línea  
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #11
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 3799

There is more to the index than Stock Exchanges, Skybean. If City of London were fudging numbers, I don't think London would sit equal with New York City.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #12
pixel2008
since 2008

Well, "Finance" means MUCH more than "Stock Exchange".

"FINANCE: theory and practice of conducting large public and private dealings in money. Important institutions of private finance include those that deal with insurance, banking, stocks, bonds, and other securities".
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Finance

Keeping that in mind it looks like the report (for the most part) makes sense. Of course it does NOT mean we must think of the report as a conclusive one. I bet there are many other reliable reports on this matter. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned the findings of the survey are quite interesting.
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #13
pottebaum
Minneapolis

Likes (Received): 2

Woo! Go Chicago!
pottebaum no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #14
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 156

As pixel2008 said, finance is more than just stock-exchange. Sydney manages a significant pension fund thanks to compulsory superannuation for all working Australians. Pension fund managers moves a lot of capital especially to infrastructure projects.
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #15
Middle
BANNED

London & New York.
Middle no está en línea  

Closed Thread