daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:38 PM   #241
catick

Likes (Received): 6

I really and deeply wish and Pray my heart out that this project takes off. Lets see. Chennai needs a few more projests like this badly.
catick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:01 AM   #242
ChennaiIndian

Likes (Received): 82

Unhappy TN: CBI probing expressway irregularities

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/s...|6QYp3kQ=&SEO=

CHENNAI: The Central Bureau of Investigation is investigating irregularities in the Rs 1,655 crore Elevated Expressway project to the concessionaire on the recommendation of the consultant Wilbur Smith.
“All the records related to the above project work were given to the CBI’s anti corruption bureau for perusal,” according to the National Highway Authority of India.
This development comes in the wake of TNIE exposing irregularities in the project and how it was executed bypassing several norms.
Separately, replying to an RTI query from activist Balasubramaniam, who is also a consultant engineer, NHAI said the first report by L&T Ramboll along National Highway-4 for the traffic to Chennai Port was not initiated by NHAI. “As ascertained from Port authorities the report was initiated as per the request of Chennai Port,” the letter stated. On the alignment of the project it said the state government had through GO 199 allowed NHAI to use one side of the Cooum river.
The fact that there are two feasibility reports giving two different figures for the elevated project, a government order (GO 133 HW and Minor Ports) yet to be traced and different versions given by the slum board on how many people would be affected by the project in three different RTIs, just highlight the ignorance of the authorities concerned, says Balasubramaniam who has worked in several international projects.
“In the feasiblity report, Wilbur Smith says that the soil sampling has been done at two places and they are showing that they have done bore testing at 37 places. We have requested the NHAI to produce the results of the bore test and there has been no reply from them for 60 days,” says Balasubramaniam. “I think the CBI investigation would reveal all the lacunae.”
ChennaiIndian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #243
rajeev_drindira

Likes (Received): 0

Regarding compensation

Hi,

If the project starts, what would be the compensation provided for the people who are resettled and having all documents.

Can any one provide assistance on this issue as no one has taken up this issue in this forum ?

Will it be the market or guideline value ? What is the current market value for areas in aminjikarai, chetput and maduravoyal ?

What would be the compensation for buildings ?
rajeev_drindira no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #244
arun82

Likes (Received): 1316

Status update

1) Barricades ready in Madhuravoyal

2) Small work shed with SOMA Elevated Expressway NHAI name board constructed on the banks of COOUM opp to Raja Annamalai Mahal behind the Park .

Hope they are waiting for the clearence to commence the project
arun82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #245
Kewl Batty
When it rains, it pours!

Likes (Received): 11

the clearance is needed only for the first 9 km i guess. rest of the section doesn't need environmental clearance coz its along the existing road median.

and thanks for the updates
Kewl Batty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #246
ChennaiIndian

Likes (Received): 82

Thumbs down Protest against elevated road along coast

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/5730265.cms

CHENNAI: The state government's plan for a 7.5-km long elevated expressway along the coast is running into stiff resistance from beach-goers, environmentalists, fisherfolk and a section of residents of Besant Nagar.

The organisers of Save Beaches Campaign, spearheading the protest, told mediapersons on Friday that they plan to appeal to chief minister M Karunanidhi and Union environment minister Jairam Ramesh to abandon the project.

"On Earth Day, April 22, a demonstration to show our interest in preserving the beach and the lives and livelihoods of fisherfolk and to press for better traffic planning and public transportation as an alternative has been planned," they said.

Based on the highways department's feasibility report, the government plans to take up the six-lane elevated expressway in two phases — the first from Light House to Foreshore Estate via Adyar estuary and Ururkuppam and the second from Besant Nagar Fifth Avenue to Kottivakkam.

The protesters said the structures would disrupt fishing, ruin ecologically-sensitive areas like Theosophical Society and Adyar estuary besides violating the coastal regulation zone notification, 1991. "The project will cut across 14 fishing villages, dislacing hundreds of fisherfolk," said Sharadha Sankar of Save Beaches Campaign.
ChennaiIndian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #247
catick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChennaiIndian View Post
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/5730265.cms

CHENNAI: The state government's plan for a 7.5-km long elevated expressway along the coast is running into stiff resistance from beach-goers, environmentalists, fisherfolk and a section of residents of Besant Nagar.

The protesters said the structures would disrupt fishing, ruin ecologically-sensitive areas like Theosophical Society and Adyar estuary besides violating the coastal regulation zone notification, 1991. "The project will cut across 14 fishing villages, dislacing hundreds of fisherfolk," said Sharadha Sankar of Save Beaches Campaign.

Excellent, Wonderful. These guys have saved the Mother Nature from The Disaster and are single handedly upholding the ecological balance, as we can see how beautiful, natural and ecologically balanced our beaches are now. I just feel very very disappointed.
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #248
arun82

Likes (Received): 1316

I wonder why the development has to be done only in the already denesly populated areas of central chennai. I would suggest that when chennai suburbs can be extended to Guduvancherry in the South. We can have planned development of areas beyond Mullakadai, Manali, Poonnamallee etc(hardly 15 kms from the broadway). The only thing which is hindering is the Lack of Wide roads ( GST and IRR) and Sub urban trains. If you take a bus from Redhills to Broadway . Most of the Roads are their 2 laned or some roads are even into small streets like Vysarpadi market. If the Government makes an Effort to make an 4 laned road to North chennai then the city can be easily extended to Gummudipoondi.
arun82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #249
ezhilan81

Likes (Received): 2

Is it only in Chennai that we have all these environment related problems along the shore? Port connectivity is under trouble, beach expressway is under trouble and many more will follow when everybody protests like this. Look at the World...doesn't any country build flyovers over rivers? Dont they build bridges across seas? There are countries that build roads and tunnels under the sea bed. Do environmentalists think about those? Even Mumbai has a sea link bridge.

Can anybody clearly tell what is the basis behind the fear that fishing will be affected? Does fishing happen only in Chennai? I doubt if the present age environmentalists would have even let the historic Pamban bridge be built if it was to be done today. Everybody seems to predict the future post construction, but can somebody give examples of any city in the World that got affected due to similar constructions?? Please educate me if am wrong in my thinking.
ezhilan81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #250
catick

Well said
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #251
ranga

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhilan81 View Post
Is it only in Chennai that we have all these environment related problems along the shore? Port connectivity is under trouble, beach expressway is under trouble and many more will follow when everybody protests like this. Look at the World...doesn't any country build flyovers over rivers? Dont they build bridges across seas? There are countries that build roads and tunnels under the sea bed. Do environmentalists think about those? Even Mumbai has a sea link bridge.

Can anybody clearly tell what is the basis behind the fear that fishing will be affected? Does fishing happen only in Chennai? I doubt if the present age environmentalists would have even let the historic Pamban bridge be built if it was to be done today. Everybody seems to predict the future post construction, but can somebody give examples of any city in the World that got affected due to similar constructions?? Please educate me if am wrong in my thinking.
The very same chennaites who are concerned about environment have not raised issues like illegal encroachments on the river banks,converting rivers in to sakadies,shitting and littering on the beaches.Everybody know the utter unhygenic conditions of fishermen dwellings near the chennai coast.Its apt case of double standards.
ranga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #252
Leo_r
Amatuer Astronomer

Likes (Received): 55

These protesters are well healed people residing in Besant Nagar, using the names of fisherfolk just to scuttle the project. Actually they are inciting these people to protest by involving them,

The upper middle class residents don't want a highway thro' the area for fear of noise pollution by the surge in traffic.

Otherwise they do not have any concern for fishermen or nature or environment. Plain self interest.Are they 500 metres away from the coast?
Leo_r no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #253
Kewl Batty
When it rains, it pours!

Well, the permission denial for Port-Maduravoyal corridor was because they have not done the EIA for that stretch which comes in high tide line.

Authorities are being cautious and careful that this doesnt happen in the upcoming Adyar Corridor. They are taking good steps to avoid such issues.
Old March 29th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #254
ferrari_fan
Forza!

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_r View Post
These protesters are well healed people residing in Besant Nagar, using the names of fisherfolk just to scuttle the project. Actually they are inciting these people to protest by involving them,

The upper middle class residents don't want a highway thro' the area for fear of noise pollution by the surge in traffic.

Otherwise they do not have any concern for fishermen or nature or environment. Plain self interest.Are they 500 metres away from the coast?
I don't understand - what exactly is your point?

That "upper middle-class" people should not be involved in protests or that "self-interest" is an unacceptable reason for protesting?

Not wanting a surge in traffic and noise does not sound to me like a particularly poor reason for protesting..

Mind you, I really hope this project does go through, but to think of someone's protests as irrelevant simply because they are well off is rather silly..
ferrari_fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #255
sridhar_n

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_fan View Post
I don't understand - what exactly is your point?

That "upper middle-class" people should not be involved in protests or that "self-interest" is an unacceptable reason for protesting?

Not wanting a surge in traffic and noise does not sound to me like a particularly poor reason for protesting..

Mind you, I really hope this project does go through, but to think of someone's protests as irrelevant simply because they are well off is rather silly..
I think what he meant was that they are influencing the project unduly. Did you not hear Lata Mangeshkar opposing flyover or something like that passing close to her house..it gave good media hype against the project...but finally, common sense prevailed and the project went through...

Development is always at a cost...we will have to weigh the pros and cons on a overall basis rather than just taking into account few people's inconvenience...
sridhar_n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #256
madrasi7777

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChennaiIndian View Post
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/chenn...-clearance-726

March 20: Delays in getting coastal regulation zone (CRZ) clearance and problems regarding relief and resettlement of affected families are turning out to be major hurdles for the 19-km-long elevated expressway connecting Chennai Port and Maduravoyal via Koyambedu junction. Officials, however, are optimistic that the issues will soon to sorted out.
It’s been 15 months since Prime Minister Manmohan Singh laid the foundation stone for the project but construction is yet to begin.
“CRZ clearance is a must for starting construction work on the first 8 km of the project from Chennai Port,” a source in the National Highways Authority of India said, adding, "After twice being refused clearance for the elevated expressway by the National Coastal Zone Management Authority (NCZMA), the Tamil Nadu State Coastal Zone Management Authority once again asked the NCZMA for clearance in the meeting held on February 24 this year. We are hopeful of getting clearance very soon."
Another major hurdle for the NHAI is the relief and rehabilitation of the 12,000 affected families who were living along the banks of the Cooum. “The state government and the Chennai Port Trust will equally share the Rs 258 crore required for the rehabilitation,” said a source.
The expressway will be constructed on a build, operate and transfer (BOT) basis by Delhi-based Soma Enterprises at a cost of Rs 1,655 crore. It will have entry ramps at Sivananda Salai and College Road and exit ramps at Kamarajar Salai and Spur Tank Road.

I do not see the protest worthwhile for the environment campaigners. Anybody living on the banks of cooum is doing it illegally by paying mamool to the local rowdies and local politicians. This is the true reasons for the protests.The govt to get votes turned blind to all this and made them semi legal or legal. Sad is the state of affairs.

If we do not get elevated road to the port we will not see anymore multinational companies coming into Chennai. This means no more new jobs coming into Chennai.
madrasi7777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #257
ranga

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasi7777 View Post
I do not see the protest worthwhile for the environment campaigners. Anybody living on the banks of cooum is doing it illegally by paying mamool to the local rowdies and local politicians. This is the true reasons for the protests.The govt to get votes turned blind to all this and made them semi legal or legal. Sad is the state of affairs.

If we do not get elevated road to the port we will not see anymore multinational companies coming into Chennai. This means no more new jobs coming into Chennai.
If the state Govt is serious they can easily overcome the hurdles in the light of the ruling party of the state being an important constituent of the UPA Govt at the centre.The foundation stone for this project was laid by the P.M. and therefore the State Govt will execute the project on prestige issue.
ranga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #258
nsantha2

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasi7777 View Post

Yeah, I'm sure the absence of this one road will drive all prospective employers out of the city. Sure.
nsantha2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:39 AM   #259
svh

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_n View Post
I think what he meant was that they are influencing the project unduly. Did you not hear Lata Mangeshkar opposing flyover or something like that passing close to her house..it gave good media hype against the project...but finally, common sense prevailed and the project went through...

Development is always at a cost...we will have to weigh the pros and cons on a overall basis rather than just taking into account few people's inconvenience...
Yes - If development causes minor indigestion for the fishes or some traffic noise for some households, so be it. Isn't the full city in the midst of traffic woes. Opening up more highways can serve to distribute the load rather than overloading the few existing ones. So what is a good direction to move towards - develop better infrastructure and create a win-win situation or yield to a few affected / loud people, so the rest can continue to hurl curses around when driving in those areas, travel longer distances inefficiently, waste fuel, time, energy, increase pollution, ... ? Now I might vote for the latter if someone pushed something under the table to me - which is nowadays dealt with on top of the table, is what I gathered - just cover it in some old newspaper, though - just in case someone is looking
svh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:41 PM   #260
Kewl Batty
When it rains, it pours!

Writ petition in HC for alternative alignment

C Shivakumar
First Published : 03 Apr 2010 05:29:00 AM IST
Last Updated :
Quote:
CHENNAI: A writ petition has been filed in the Madras High Court seeking change of alignment of the Rs 1,655 crore Elevated Expressway, suggesting that the one proposed by L&T Ramboll would save thousands of people from displacement.

The plea filed by Tamil Nadu Kudisai Vazhvor Sangam secretary M Perumal on Wednesday states that the proposal by L&T Ramboll along National Highway 4 will reduce rehabilitation and reintegration of project affected families, cost, social cost, ensure easy environmental clearance and can be completed in a shorter duration.

The petition was filed in the wake of Express exposing the irregularities and the CBI investigating the project.

“It is learnt that L&T Ramboll had submitted their proposal for the sum of Rs 750 crores for carrying out the above project, “Express Elevated Highway” from Maduravoyal to Port Trust along NH4. But without any plausible reasons the said company was not entertained which was replied through a RTI on 19.02.10 from Port Trust. Then it was given to the consultant Wilbur Smith Associates for the reasons better known to them only,” said Perumal in his petition, which will come up for hearing on Monday.

The petition states that Somdev Constructions got the nod to execute the project although its proposed cost - Rs 1,650 crore - was more than double the amount quoted by L&T Ramboll, causing huge loss to the State exchequer.

“I had a reasonable apprehension why such a huge demand of money was sanctioned to Somdev Construction leaving L&T Ramboll who offered to carry out the aforesaid project for the meager sum of Rs 750 crore. Such a tendency of the consultant would not only raise the apprehension of bias but large scale scam involved in the above project,” Perumal said.

According to the National Highway Authority of India, all the files related to the project have been given to Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)-Anti Corruption Bureau for perusal and “nothing is available at the office,” said Perumal.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: