daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:19 AM   #341
heywindup
BÄNNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroranger View Post
Stratford to be new Manhattan in £10m Olympics facelift
Ross Lydall in the Evening Standard

New York's Fifth Avenue may be worlds away from London's East End, but work has begun on a £10 million scheme to turn Stratford High Street into a “Manhattan boulevard”.
Stratford to be the new Manhattan? More like the next Croydon.
heywindup no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:23 PM   #342
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywindup View Post
Yeh, the British media love to use that phrase every single time a building over 10-storeys is proposed...
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:01 PM   #343
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura4Matalan View Post
Yeh, the British media love to use that phrase every single time a building over 10-storeys is proposed...
The Manhattan reference is used in alot of places with tall buildings since NYC was the first proper 'skyscrapercity'. I heard Canary Wharf being called 'Manhattan on Thames' before and Frankfurt being called 'Mainhattan' due to the Main river running through it.

L O N D O N 2 0 1 2 O L Y M P I C G A M E S

Inspire A Generation
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:33 PM   #344
delores

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywindup View Post
haha....couldn't be more true by the current standard of buildings going up.
delores está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #345
kubrick69

Likes (Received): 0

Pigeons pub and Metroman construction near Atherton Centre

Continuing the interest about 'old' Stratford. I live just off Romford Rd near the old Pigeons Pub (opp the fire station) and they have recently closed the pub. I never went it there as we go in the King Eddy which is a really lovely pub and great food. The Pigeons was huge inside and since closure there have been scaffolding up and skip after skip of material coming out. Does anyone know what's happening here. I heard a Tesco but I dont believe the architecture will suit an awful Tesco fascia.
Secondly just a little further down on the left side (if you were walking toward Forest Gate) is a very large new building of about three storeys with a ground floor that looks like it will be for shops. The whole place is on what was a former petrol station. Has anyone noticed there are now no petrol stations in Stratford. When I moved here there were 4. The site has 'Metroman' signs up.
Any ideas??
Also it looks like construction around the obelisk near the church has started and I heard they are moving the 'tiwsty' clock outside the tube to outside Maryland tube, where they are also working as of last week. I except the clock will move within the next few weeks.
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #346
metroranger

Likes (Received): 24

Stratford High Street Easter 2010

The Edge.

236-252 High Street Stratford.

Rick Roberts Way.

metroranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #347
Manuel

Likes (Received): 14

@Metroranger
Thanks for the update. There's also a very tall crane near the tallest of the resi tower u/c, what is it for?
The lower element of the Edge is a total let down...overall, the quality of the building is pretty low anyway...
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #348
metroranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
@Metroranger
Thanks for the update. There's also a very tall crane near the tallest of the resi tower u/c, what is it for?
The lower element of the Edge is a total let down...overall, the quality of the building is pretty low anyway...
Hi Manuel - from one of my earlier posts.

This is the troubled 150 Stratford High Street otherwise known as the "Spirit of Stratford" development.

Work has stopped on one of east London's tallest residential towers next to the London 2012 Olympic site.

Genesis Housing Group has pulled the plug on the 43-storey tower which is part of plans for 650 new homes on the site.

Main contractor Ardmore had only reached the third floor of the £150m building when Genesis called a halt to work last week.

Stratford town centre is being transformed in the runup to the Olympics. But the 2012 boom has not been enough to offset the dire state of the housing market.

One source close to the project explained: "Genesis can no longer finance the project. The Stratford High Street site, which is very close to the location of the 2012 Olympics, was the group's biggest-ever land acquisition and maybe Genesis paid too much for the site in the first place.

"Ardmore did all it could to keep the scheme going -even offering to lower its prices, but to no avail."

Private housing woes
The mothballingof the Stratford scheme could herald the spread of private housing's woes to the social housing sector.

One industry expert said: "Housing trusts like them are now starting to behave like a lot of house builders because the cash is drying up."

Genesis had planned to build 650 new homes alongside a hotel and retail and commercial units. At least one third of the homes were for social rent or shared ownership.

A Genesis spokeswoman said: "Genesis Housing Group is still firmly committed to the Stratford site.

"We have temporarily suspended work to review the design with stakeholders and ensure that we continue to meet the needs of customers. We will recommence work shortly."

The source said: "There were design issues before the job started and it was called in by CABE.

"But that was all sorted before building began, so to talk about design issues now is just a smokescreen to disguise the simple fact they have no money."
http://www.contractjournal.com/Artic...r-project.html

Looks like Paddington Churches Housing Association has taken over from Genesis which was trying to keep the project afloat. one of the problems encountered when the money ran out and Genesis took over the whole project was that the privately owned apartments planned for the project did not meet the minimum space requirements for housing association accommodation and were going to have to be re-designed. Interestingly the ubiquitous 'Westfield" signs have now appeared on the hoardings and those around the development across the road, is this where the extra money has come from? does anyone know?

Still no sign of movement on this site.
Old April 5th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #349
annamaria4711

Likes (Received): 13

PCHA ia a wholly owned subsidiary of Genesis Group
last year Genesis succeeded in raising a £250mil bond issue over a 40 yrs period, I'm not sure as to whether Genesis is still interested in said site or may decide to sell it off....
annamaria4711 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #350
kubrick69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
@Metroranger
Agree. I had high hopes for this when I saw the renders but the reality disappoints somewhat. It's a very dull building and completely unremarkable even though the cantilever top should make it quite eye-catching.
Anyone know if the pub is for a facelift as well. Never been in as it's a bit of a weird spot to walk to. I find the whole Stratford High St starting at the Magistrates Court going West less a high street and more a dual carriageway which I hope with the new developments and the Olympic Park things will change. It's ok having lots of high rises going up but it is not going to get people walking down there. It's just not the kind of place you would sit and have a coffee. Maybe I'm wrong??
Old April 6th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #351
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1444

It is getting a 'make over' but yes, it's hardly the Olympic boulevard of continental dreams it could be. Mianly because of the thundering traffic.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #352
kubrick69

It's more the fact that the road is called Stratford High Street when there is nothing 'high street' about it.
Old April 6th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #353
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1444

But there used to be.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #354
metroranger

Rick Roberts Way

Tower crane going up at Rick Roberts Way

Old April 25th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #355
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 165

Flickr

Pinterest
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #356
jdjones
Citizen Not Subject

Likes (Received): 1118

so when's this Rick Roberts Way planned to be finished??

anyone got a map or a model of how the stafford high street will look for the games??
jdjones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #357
Bob

Likes (Received): 10

On the "Olymipc High Street" at Mile End opposite Queen Mary on the site of the old Peugeot garrage this new student accomodation / teaching space looks to be going ahead.

It's by Into University Partnership

Planning Docs

Demolition of the existing buildings is currently taking place. There is some green stuff; CHP, green roofs, lots of cycle parking. A couple of cafe spaces are included. IMO not gorgeous, but so much better than the derelict buildings that have been uglifying the townscape until now. More affordable, good quality student accomodation bang opposite the QM campus is a good thing too.
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #358
.Adam

Likes (Received): 79

It's good to see a development using different heights for each building, The building on the far left seems to have hint of gold in its cladding (although I'm sure this will turn out to be the plastic brown tiles that turn up on so many projects like this). I almost wish this scheme had a St Giles style cladding, in the sense that each building was a differet colour, bringing some life and animation to the "olympic high street".
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #359
Bob

Likes (Received): 10

you're not alone in that thought! The original planning application was refused for being a bit monolithic. It appeared more as a single block. It was also at max 11 floors rather than the 9 that are going ahead.
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #360
Manuel

Likes (Received): 14

Ardmore is understood to have re-won a £110 million contract it first picked up nearly two years ago - to build one of London’s tallest residential buildings on a site next to the 2012 Olympic Park.

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/news/contrac...216939.article

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: