daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Sheffield Metro Area

Sheffield Metro Area For Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham



Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #61
lewisskinner
do me bad things
 
lewisskinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sheffield 6
Posts: 7,302
Likes (Received): 0

car park looks long and thin basically 84..
__________________
SHEFFIELD: If only Orwell could see us now...
Stop looking for the pot... Enjoy the Rainbow
I've rather stupidly agreed to walk from Sheffield to Lille for charity.

Won't you please, click here to sponsor me? All proceeds to the MS Society
lewisskinner no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #62
Nathowl
Sheffield Wednesday FC
 
Nathowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sheffield, Yorkshire
Posts: 785
Likes (Received): 4

Well when this is completed, Sheffield city centre will have 5 Q Parks.....

Castlegate - 404
Charles Street - 500
Riverside - 526
Sheffield Station - 678
Portobello - 529
Nathowl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #63
yogh
ȝ
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 318
Likes (Received): 0

The crane on the new car park was taken down this morning. So now there's one less in Sheffield, making...um...how many?

image hosted on flickr
yogh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #64
jt132
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 879
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogh View Post
The crane on the new car park was taken down this morning. So now there's one less in Sheffield, making...um...how many?
A big flat zero!!!?
jt132 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #65
SheffCity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,640
Likes (Received): 0

I have a season ticket to Qpark at St Pauls and park there every day, but I have recently noticed that it's not as secure as they'd like you to think.

It's no longer manned all the time - just in rush hour times - outside of this the man in a van is based at the train station car park, so maybe 15 minutes away in rush hour.

And no matter how hard I look I cannot find any CCTV cameras anywhere but the entrances.

After parking there the other day and noticing a pile of broken car glass (could have been a theft, could have been an owner locking his keys in and smashing it), it did make me wonder how secure it is.

Taking the staff away is what made me move from NCP and Britannia. And as good as this car park is, you cannot claim total security without staff and cameras. Any thief can buy themselves a ticket and drive in to "shop around".

Time to look elsewhere when my ticket is up for renewal I think.
SheffCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #66
muddycoffee
E = MC²
 
muddycoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 3,984
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheffCity View Post
........

After parking there the other day and noticing a pile of broken car glass (could have been a theft, could have been an owner locking his keys in and smashing it), it did make me wonder how secure it is.

Taking the staff away is what made me move from NCP and Britannia. And as good as this car park is, you cannot claim total security without staff and cameras. Any thief can buy themselves a ticket and drive in to "shop around".

Time to look elsewhere when my ticket is up for renewal I think.
One of the reasons I don't want to update my 10 year old car to a nearly new one is because I have to park it on a busy street or an unattended car park at my new workplace.
If I had a shiny new one I would suffer considerable worry about it getting scratched or broken into.
I urge everyone to consider this kind of thing when they are getting all excited about splashing out on a new vehicle.
__________________
20th Century Tower Blocks of sheffield My own website with lots of pics and info.... Please visit ..
Sheffield's Old Cinema buildings My own study into the old cinema buildings of sheffield, with plenty of facts, figures and history thrown in....
muddycoffee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #67
arepeejee
<Witty comment here>
 
arepeejee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 3,885
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheffCity View Post
I have a season ticket to Qpark at St Pauls and park there every day, but I have recently noticed that it's not as secure as they'd like you to think.

It's no longer manned all the time - just in rush hour times - outside of this the man in a van is based at the train station car park, so maybe 15 minutes away in rush hour.

And no matter how hard I look I cannot find any CCTV cameras anywhere but the entrances.

After parking there the other day and noticing a pile of broken car glass (could have been a theft, could have been an owner locking his keys in and smashing it), it did make me wonder how secure it is.

Taking the staff away is what made me move from NCP and Britannia. And as good as this car park is, you cannot claim total security without staff and cameras. Any thief can buy themselves a ticket and drive in to "shop around".

Time to look elsewhere when my ticket is up for renewal I think.
Instead of looking elsewhere - why not ask them those questions and see what the answers are?

I'd be interested in what they had to say anyway.
__________________
Sheffield Metro region brought to you by;
Grey Cladding with Red Brick, and the number 0
arepeejee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #68
SheffCity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,640
Likes (Received): 0

If I were parking on the street then I would accept that it might not be that safe, but I don't expect to have to worry when paying £400/quarter to park in what is supposed to be one of the safest car parks in the city.

I will question their logic when it comes to renewing the ticket, but if it is as it seems then for me personally this makes this particular car park no more secure than any other in the city.
SheffCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #69
eighty4
Registered User
 
eighty4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Auckland NZ
Posts: 2,447
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheffCity View Post
If I were parking on the street then I would accept that it might not be that safe, but I don't expect to have to worry when paying £400/quarter to park in what is supposed to be one of the safest car parks in the city.

I will question their logic when it comes to renewing the ticket, but if it is as it seems then for me personally this makes this particular car park no more secure than any other in the city.
400 a quarter ! I used to park for free infront of the hyde park flats and walk into town. Nothing ever happened to my car. There's loads of on street free parking on the outskirts of the city centre. Depends if you can trust where you park and cen be bothered walking a bit further each day.
__________________
Sheffield UK- Perth-Darwin-Cairns-Brisbane-Sydney-Melbourne- Sheffield Uk-and now Auckland

My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapah/sets/
eighty4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #70
AdamBlade
@codaplanning
 
AdamBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sheffield, S10
Posts: 2,672
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty4 View Post
400 a quarter ! I used to park for free infront of the hyde park flats and walk into town. Nothing ever happened to my car. There's loads of on street free parking on the outskirts of the city centre. Depends if you can trust where you park and cen be bothered walking a bit further each day.
Not really, there are many resident parking zones in the city now. Take Broomhill for example - the next street from me is a parking permit zone and from here into town (a good 2 miles) there is no place to park at all. The closest I've seen in recent times in a decent area is on the edge of Nether Edge.
AdamBlade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #71
atc367squadron
My city of Sheffield!
 
atc367squadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 496
Likes (Received): 0

I park in Q Park for £3 per day. I don't have any problems at all.
__________________
Visit the Sheffield Metro Area Thread for daily updates of developments going on in Englands' Fourth largest city.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garyspics/
atc367squadron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #72
eighty4
Registered User
 
eighty4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Auckland NZ
Posts: 2,447
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBlade View Post
Not really, there are many resident parking zones in the city now. Take Broomhill for example - the next street from me is a parking permit zone and from here into town (a good 2 miles) there is no place to park at all. The closest I've seen in recent times in a decent area is on the edge of Nether Edge.
There's plenty up near park hill if you can trust the nearby residents . Also there's lots of little side roads off london road where you can get a space.

I suppose id rather spend 5-10 mins walking each day rather than spending money....like a true yorkshireman
__________________
Sheffield UK- Perth-Darwin-Cairns-Brisbane-Sydney-Melbourne- Sheffield Uk-and now Auckland

My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapah/sets/
eighty4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #73
SheffCity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,640
Likes (Received): 0

£400/quarter is cheaper than I used to pay at NCP. That was about £500 IIRC. Of course £400 only covers Monday to Friday. For the whole 7 days in Qpark you are looking at closer to £500. The Qpark down at Castlegate is much cheaper but I don't trust that whole area so that was never even a consideration.

Having spent a fortune on my car (it would be crude to say how much but it's many multiples the average salary) I expect to be able to park it somewhere safe and I don't mind paying for that.

I don't and never have considered on street parking safe, even when I had cheaper cars. The risk of damage from passers by (either deliberate or accidental) is too great.

Parking space size is always a consideration as well, and I usually pick my space carefully to ensure either no one can park next to me or that I am as out of the way as possible and no one will want to park next to me.
SheffCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #74
larven
Registered User
 
larven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 9,699
Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheffCity View Post
Having spent a fortune on my car (it would be crude to say how much but it's many multiples the average salary) I expect to be able to park it somewhere safe and I don't mind paying for that.
Fairly crude to bring attention to it at all.
larven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #75
jozblade
Unregistered User
 
jozblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rotherham
Posts: 4,088
Likes (Received): 2

Why not just be chaufer driven to work SheffCity?
jozblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #76
jt132
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 879
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by larven View Post
Fairly crude to bring attention to it at all.
While we are being crude- what a tosspot!!
jt132 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #77
SheffCity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,640
Likes (Received): 0

I don't want to be driven - I still enjoy driving (though in Sheffield I am going off it rapidly).

And highlighting a higher than average value whilst not specifying an exact cost isn't crude - it was relevant I felt to highlight my level of concern and make it clear I'm not just over-worrying about a cheap new super mini.

The only people who ever have problems with discussions involving money are those who don't have enough.

And I think you'll find I didn't insult anyone so no need for the last comment really - I will get insulting though if need be. Maybe I touched a nerve!
SheffCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #78
larven
Registered User
 
larven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 9,699
Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheffCity View Post
And highlighting a higher than average value whilst not specifying an exact cost isn't crude - it was relevant I felt to highlight my level of concern and make it clear I'm not just over-worrying about a cheap new super mini.
Most people share your concerns about their own car. A person on an average income with a 'cheap' new super mini will probably have spent more as a proportion of their income than you have on whatever £100k + motor you may have. Your concerns are no better or more valid than anyone else's just because you have an expensive car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheffCity View Post
The only people who ever have problems with discussions involving money are those who don't have enough.
Really? Many people with true wealth don't feel the need to discuss or flaunt it, least of all on an anonymous internet forum.
larven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #79
arepeejee
<Witty comment here>
 
arepeejee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 3,885
Likes (Received): 18

I can't help but think of Harry Enfield at this moment;

__________________
Sheffield Metro region brought to you by;
Grey Cladding with Red Brick, and the number 0
arepeejee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #80
SheffCity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,640
Likes (Received): 0

No flaunting at all. And I agree that a £10k car for someone on a low income is a large portion of thir income in the same way as an expensive car is for someone earning a lot. However my point was about me and my situation, and for me personally I wouldn't worry about parking a £10k car in the street but would worry about parking my own expensive car in the street.

Maybe I didn't convey this well, but it doesn't make it any different.

And as for wealth, define true wealth? I work(ed) damn hard for my money and spend it how I choose. Expensive cars, clothes and travel are not subtle, and whilst I don't go round waving a bank statement around it is fairly obvious that I am not skint, so hiding the fact is not an option and nor so I see why I should - like I said, I worked for it so tough if you don't like it.
SheffCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu