daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Sheffield Metro Area

Sheffield Metro Area For Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #61
lewisskinner
do me bad things

Likes (Received): 0

car park looks long and thin basically 84..

Won't you please, click here to sponsor me? All proceeds to the MS Society
lewisskinner no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 9th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #62
Nathowl
Sheffield Wednesday FC

Likes (Received): 4

Well when this is completed, Sheffield city centre will have 5 Q Parks.....

Castlegate - 404
Charles Street - 500
Riverside - 526
Sheffield Station - 678
Portobello - 529
Nathowl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #63
yogh
ȝ

The crane on the new car park was taken down this morning. So now there's one less in Sheffield, making...um...how many?

image hosted on flickr
yogh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #64
jt132

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogh View Post
The crane on the new car park was taken down this morning. So now there's one less in Sheffield, making...um...how many?
A big flat zero!!!?
jt132 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #65
SheffCity

I have a season ticket to Qpark at St Pauls and park there every day, but I have recently noticed that it's not as secure as they'd like you to think.

It's no longer manned all the time - just in rush hour times - outside of this the man in a van is based at the train station car park, so maybe 15 minutes away in rush hour.

And no matter how hard I look I cannot find any CCTV cameras anywhere but the entrances.

After parking there the other day and noticing a pile of broken car glass (could have been a theft, could have been an owner locking his keys in and smashing it), it did make me wonder how secure it is.

Taking the staff away is what made me move from NCP and Britannia. And as good as this car park is, you cannot claim total security without staff and cameras. Any thief can buy themselves a ticket and drive in to "shop around".

Time to look elsewhere when my ticket is up for renewal I think.
SheffCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #66
muddycoffee
E = MC²

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheffCity View Post

After parking there the other day and noticing a pile of broken car glass (could have been a theft, could have been an owner locking his keys in and smashing it), it did make me wonder how secure it is.

Taking the staff away is what made me move from NCP and Britannia. And as good as this car park is, you cannot claim total security without staff and cameras. Any thief can buy themselves a ticket and drive in to "shop around".

One of the reasons I don't want to update my 10 year old car to a nearly new one is because I have to park it on a busy street or an unattended car park at my new workplace.
If I had a shiny new one I would suffer considerable worry about it getting scratched or broken into.
I urge everyone to consider this kind of thing when they are getting all excited about splashing out on a new vehicle.
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #67
arepeejee
<Witty comment here>

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
I have a season ticket to Qpark at St Pauls and park there every day, but I have recently noticed that it's not as secure as they'd like you to think.

It's no longer manned all the time - just in rush hour times - outside of this the man in a van is based at the train station car park, so maybe 15 minutes away in rush hour.

And no matter how hard I look I cannot find any CCTV cameras anywhere but the entrances.

Instead of looking elsewhere - why not ask them those questions and see what the answers are?

I'd be interested in what they had to say anyway.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #68
SheffCity

If I were parking on the street then I would accept that it might not be that safe, but I don't expect to have to worry when paying £400/quarter to park in what is supposed to be one of the safest car parks in the city.

I will question their logic when it comes to renewing the ticket, but if it is as it seems then for me personally this makes this particular car park no more secure than any other in the city.
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #69
eighty4

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
If I were parking on the street then I would accept that it might not be that safe, but I don't expect to have to worry when paying £400/quarter to park in what is supposed to be one of the safest car parks in the city.

I will question their logic when it comes to renewing the ticket, but if it is as it seems then for me personally this makes this particular car park no more secure than any other in the city.
400 a quarter ! I used to park for free infront of the hyde park flats and walk into town. Nothing ever happened to my car. There's loads of on street free parking on the outskirts of the city centre. Depends if you can trust where you park and cen be bothered walking a bit further each day.

My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapah/sets/
eighty4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #70
AdamBlade
@codaplanning

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty4 View Post
400 a quarter ! I used to park for free infront of the hyde park flats and walk into town. Nothing ever happened to my car. There's loads of on street free parking on the outskirts of the city centre. Depends if you can trust where you park and cen be bothered walking a bit further each day.
Not really, there are many resident parking zones in the city now. Take Broomhill for example - the next street from me is a parking permit zone and from here into town (a good 2 miles) there is no place to park at all. The closest I've seen in recent times in a decent area is on the edge of Nether Edge.
AdamBlade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #71
atc367squadron
My city of Sheffield!

I park in Q Park for £3 per day. I don't have any problems at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garyspics/
atc367squadron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #72
eighty4

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBlade View Post
Not really, there are many resident parking zones in the city now. Take Broomhill for example - the next street from me is a parking permit zone and from here into town (a good 2 miles) there is no place to park at all. The closest I've seen in recent times in a decent area is on the edge of Nether Edge.
There's plenty up near park hill if you can trust the nearby residents . Also there's lots of little side roads off london road where you can get a space.

I suppose id rather spend 5-10 mins walking each day rather than spending money....like a true yorkshireman

My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapah/sets/
eighty4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #73
SheffCity

£400/quarter is cheaper than I used to pay at NCP. That was about £500 IIRC. Of course £400 only covers Monday to Friday. For the whole 7 days in Qpark you are looking at closer to £500. The Qpark down at Castlegate is much cheaper but I don't trust that whole area so that was never even a consideration.

Having spent a fortune on my car (it would be crude to say how much but it's many multiples the average salary) I expect to be able to park it somewhere safe and I don't mind paying for that.

I don't and never have considered on street parking safe, even when I had cheaper cars. The risk of damage from passers by (either deliberate or accidental) is too great.

Parking space size is always a consideration as well, and I usually pick my space carefully to ensure either no one can park next to me or that I am as out of the way as possible and no one will want to park next to me.
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #74
larven

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Having spent a fortune on my car (it would be crude to say how much but it's many multiples the average salary) I expect to be able to park it somewhere safe and I don't mind paying for that.
Fairly crude to bring attention to it at all.
larven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #75
jozblade
Unregistered User

Why not just be chaufer driven to work SheffCity?
jozblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #76
jt132

Quote:
Originally Posted by larven View Post
Fairly crude to bring attention to it at all.
While we are being crude- what a tosspot!!
jt132 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #77
SheffCity

I don't want to be driven - I still enjoy driving (though in Sheffield I am going off it rapidly).

And highlighting a higher than average value whilst not specifying an exact cost isn't crude - it was relevant I felt to highlight my level of concern and make it clear I'm not just over-worrying about a cheap new super mini.

The only people who ever have problems with discussions involving money are those who don't have enough.

And I think you'll find I didn't insult anyone so no need for the last comment really - I will get insulting though if need be. Maybe I touched a nerve!
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #78
larven

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
And highlighting a higher than average value whilst not specifying an exact cost isn't crude - it was relevant I felt to highlight my level of concern and make it clear I'm not just over-worrying about a cheap new super mini.
Most people share your concerns about their own car. A person on an average income with a 'cheap' new super mini will probably have spent more as a proportion of their income than you have on whatever £100k + motor you may have. Your concerns are no better or more valid than anyone else's just because you have an expensive car.

Quote:
The only people who ever have problems with discussions involving money are those who don't have enough.
Really? Many people with true wealth don't feel the need to discuss or flaunt it, least of all on an anonymous internet forum.
larven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #79
arepeejee
<Witty comment here>

Likes (Received): 18

I can't help but think of Harry Enfield at this moment;

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #80
SheffCity

No flaunting at all. And I agree that a £10k car for someone on a low income is a large portion of thir income in the same way as an expensive car is for someone earning a lot. However my point was about me and my situation, and for me personally I wouldn't worry about parking a £10k car in the street but would worry about parking my own expensive car in the street.

Maybe I didn't convey this well, but it doesn't make it any different.

And as for wealth, define true wealth? I work(ed) damn hard for my money and spend it how I choose. Expensive cars, clothes and travel are not subtle, and whilst I don't go round waving a bank statement around it is fairly obvious that I am not skint, so hiding the fact is not an option and nor so I see why I should - like I said, I worked for it so tough if you don't like it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: