daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:17 AM   #41
oneborneveryminute

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by caicoo View Post
now it looks like tall concrete prison what's the next step?
your arrest.
oneborneveryminute no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #42
Thefancydanhimself

Likes (Received): 2

Sorry to start a dead thread up again...
Anybody got any mock-ups of what they're going to do with bolands mill.
I stuck out like a sore thumb when i went down to grand canal to see the theatre
Thefancydanhimself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #43
RubaDub

Likes (Received): 0

Fancydan, 'Aqua Vetro' can be seen in the background of this image. I don't know if these are still the uptodate plans for the site or what the current situation is. They dont have much on the treasury website for it.

Is Monte finished yet?
RubaDub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #44
Viking74

Likes (Received): 22

Has work temporarily halted on this development?
Viking74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #45
Thefancydanhimself

Likes (Received): 2

Thanks rubaDub, but what i'm wondering is whether Aqua Vetro is going to replace the old stone building or the big concrete silos on that site or both. And there are issues of the older buildings being listed because of 1916...
A big glass building between the old stone storehouses would look great, but i'd prefer if they kept the concrete silos and cut it with windows at all sorts of mentel angles it could look great. Could become the Irish War Museum or something like that.. Rather than just giving up such an important spot to offices

http://stephentrainor.com/images/_ph...our_mill_l.jpg
Thefancydanhimself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #46
fen1x

Likes (Received): 0

Hi
Im taking Dart to Grand Canal almost every day and Monte Vetro is going really well. Right now they installing all windows around the building.
fen1x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #47
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefancydanhimself View Post
Thanks rubaDub, but what i'm wondering is whether Aqua Vetro is going to replace the old stone building or the big concrete silos on that site or both. And there are issues of the older buildings being listed because of 1916...
A big glass building between the old stone storehouses would look great, but i'd prefer if they kept the concrete silos and cut it with windows at all sorts of mentel angles it could look great. Could become the Irish War Museum or something like that.. Rather than just giving up such an important spot to offices

http://stephentrainor.com/images/_ph...our_mill_l.jpg
Yeah, the idea would be to demolish the silo. It wasn't in existance in 1916, so it's of little historical significance.
The older buildings and warehouses, which are in themselves rather attractive will remain and be restored.
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #48
Viking74

Montevetro seems to be nearly finished. I'm not sure if I like this building, but it's certainly imposing. Took some photos down that way this morning in brilliant sunshine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL]..

Here it is up close.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And it's sexier neighbour just across the dock - Altovetro

The real gem of the area of course is the new theatre and Grand Canal Square

The area looks great down there now. Importantly for an urban setting, there's plenty of colour too.

Last edited by Viking74; October 5th, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #49
thebig C

Likes (Received): 109

As a highrise fan in Dublin, I have so little to celebrate that generally I like anything over 10 floors.....simply because their getting through An Bord Pleanala is an achievement.

However, its fairly hard to be enthusiastic about Montevetro. Granted the phot is from its plainer side, its definately much better view from the railway. However, basically its just an office slab.

Part of me wonders why this got permission whilst much betters designs were rejected....perhaps the anti highrise planners want to be able to point to how awful and uninspiring anything over 6 floors is!! That might seen crazy, but look at the thread about Montevetro on Archiseek.....you will see the DDDA rejected several more daring designs at pre-planning stage.

Personally I think this is a fine site for such a building. If they had allowed 5-10 more floors gradually tapering towards the waterside it would be much finer visually and still have the same if not more lettable space.

C
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #50
nordisk celt83

Really well taken photos Viking, thanks for sharing them. I'll be able to forgive the shortcomings of Montevetro if Aquavetro ever goes ahead.

Anyone actually know if Aqua has pp, or is it just a proposal??
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #51
Viking74

They fixed the maximum shoulder height of this at 50 metres as far as I know, and the final height is around 63 metres. Pathetic really, but what can you do when they starting fixing maximum heights into a master plan. It's such a load of crap and infuriating. As far as I remember, Alto Vetro (the more interesting) went through Dublin City Council planning and not through the DDDA.

And as for the Watchtower and U2 tower, they started by fixing the maximum heights of these at 60 metres. Then more stalling, and competitions etc. before finally deciding on 120 metres. The delays and indecision took so long that I'll eat my shorts if either of these gets built in the next 5 years. Fat chance of anything happening in the near future.
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #52
Viking74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordisk celt83 View Post
Really well taken photos Viking, thanks for sharing them. I'll be able to forgive the shortcomings of Montevetro if Aquavetro ever goes ahead.

Anyone actually know if Aqua has pp, or is it just a proposal??
Thanks Nordisk celt. I had some better ones but they were too big in size to put them up. I think Aqua was just a proposal and I'm not sure if it ever went any further. Anyway - here's hoping!
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #53
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 12

Imagine we had a few 150m+ towers down there, it would look great, maybe someday...
Altovetro looks very nice.
Old October 11th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #54
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMan2010 View Post
Imagine we had a few 150m+ towers down there, it would look great, maybe someday...
Altovetro looks very nice.
High-rise is overstated as a panacea to Dublin's problems with low density developments. You need very strong business growth to fill these glass towers.

Don't confuse high rise with high density. It's possible to have a low-density, high-rise district. What we need in Dublin is consistently medium-rise everywhere, not just a few token areas of the city with 10-storey buildings. Our long term goal here should be to have the whole inner city up to the 8-storey level. This would do far more for density than a few token skyscrapers.
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #55
thebig C

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
High-rise is overstated as a panacea to Dublin's problems with low density developments. You need very strong business growth to fill these glass towers.

Don't confuse high rise with high density. It's possible to have a low-density, high-rise district. What we need in Dublin is consistently medium-rise everywhere, not just a few token areas of the city with 10-storey buildings. Our long term goal here should be to have the whole inner city up to the 8-storey level. This would do far more for density than a few token skyscrapers.
Fully agree. However, that isn't the point. In dublin high-rise buildings are opposed and refused for no reason other then certain people don't want skyscrapers in Dublin.
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #56
Viking74

Interesting view of Altovetro from Montevetro

Old October 12th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #57
nordisk celt83

Another good shot. I know I've been known to take the odd photo or two in the past, but for any keen photographers out there, there's a good angle to shoot Montevetro from the Grand Canal at Herbert Place or the bridge at Northumberland Road...

Re: highrise. Don't think agree with tall buildings in the historic core at all, and would advocate the demolition of O'Connell Bridge House, Hawkins et al and Central Bank. However, a distinct high-rise district should be promoted east of the Customs House...
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #58
Noodles7

Likes (Received): 6

You can also get a good view of it from Baggot street bridge, of course you miss the lower floors but it still looks good
Noodles7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #59
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post

Yeah I understand, but in the future if the economy gets better in years to come and starts to grow again, we could get more and more businesses to move into this district and create a dense cluster of 120m+ towers maybe 10-15 of them and we could have a skyline to look at from all parts of the city and break the tradition of low rise buildings, probably will never happen but you never know.
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #60
Viking74

Another picture from a different angle:

Actually - it looked better in real life ;-)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: