daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Kolkata

Kolkata Project news for Kolkata Metropolitan Region - Kolkata, Howrah, Bidhan Nagar (Salt Lake), Nabadiganta (Sector V), New Town, Kalyani

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 149 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #61
anirban_ban

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabya99 View Post
I live in central new jersey, home to about half million NRI. These includes Bangali,Gujrati,Tamil,Marathi,Punjabi,Karnataki etc. NRI from these states don’t understand why Singur movement was lunched, 6000 jobs were lost and Mamata was rewarded by voters? Does this mean the more anarchy you introduce the more people friendly you are or your prospect of electoral success increases with the degree of destructive politics! Jyoti Basu practiced this kind of politics for 50 years, humiliated Dr.B.C. Roy and remained in Writers Building for 30 years and now Mamta has inherited this. So my NRI friends don’t understand why people of waste Bengal don’t understand that anarchy could not be rewarded at any level. Why they don’t understand that forced industrialization is the only solution of bengal’s unemployment problem. Growing potato or cucumber is not the answer although those things are necessary. They think presence of large number of uprooted people from neighboring states have created an unstable social environment. No matter whom they vote these lumpens will have no future in waste Bengal and they have to relocate to Delhi or Bombay as maid or handyman. And whatever intellectual left in the state must think hard what type of socioeconomic structure they want.
I do not agree with you, forced industrialization cannot make much headway. I do not approve of people being beaten up or killed for industry. That is not the way to do.
anirban_ban no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 5th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #62
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirban_ban View Post
I do not agree with you, forced industrialization cannot make much headway. I do not approve of people being beaten up or killed for industry. That is not the way to do.
boss but we the Indians...and especially we bengalis (no offences please) have a tendency of working under pressure...Indians are by birth 'laathon ke bhooth baaton se nahin mante'...so until and unless u use the stick no work will be done...and it should be taken for granted that bengalis..especially the 'ghotis' are very lazy..u have to litterally kick their butt to make a work done on time..!
but then its true that one should not be killed for making a work done..as in this case industrialization...this is just the fruit of the seeds that were sown by our ex-CM..had he not given the farmers proper land rights and making them realise that every part of land is 'amaar'..neither singur nor nandigram case would have taken place...btw if we look back further even panskura had similar issue but Anil Biswas the then CPM chairman never let it come to light!
Please note the comments and views regarding Indians and Bengalis are totally based on the experiences i have faced..no personal, religion, caste, creed, nationality grudges against anyone is intended..forumers discretion is regretted...!
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #63
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarafIndian View Post
Good for Karnataka. Though west bengal too, we already have several thousands of crores investment proposal particularly in Steel and Power sector. But all the potential states(including Karnataka) are facing raw material source problem. Currently the biggest ongoing project west bengal is implementing(u/c) is Jindal steel and power project which is a a total of 35000 Cr. There are similar kind of investment proposals from Bhusan, Adhunik, Videocon, Jai balaji as well..

Btw, regarding the current political situation I think it is the time Buddha should step down.
i fully agree with u saraf...bengal has the pottential and resources to be the top state in India and also the most developed..there are many loopholes in the admin works...say for eg: if u have to go for registering ur flat it would take minimum 6 mnths..which is wierd..and u have to from this counter to that...which can be done in a single window...even banks have started to follow this...
and regarding stepping down there are many people who needs to step down and also control their mouth while speaking in public!!!...all the white haired pb members!
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #64
sabya99

Nobody likes anything forced upon them! But if situation becomes dire force may have to be applied. Job prospect and economic situation in Bengal are so bad that new govt. must have to take crash program no matter how unpopular it is. Dr.B.C Roy had to take literally forced industrialization to rehabilitate thousands of uprooted refugees in early fifties and that saved a whole generation of babus. Kolkata does not remember Dr.Roy any more! I feel Bengal needs another one like him.
I sincerely hope during next year assembly election there will be a serious debate about this process for forced industrialization and prospect of job creation. Otherwise electoral process will remain a circus party, democracy will lose its usefulness, civilization will be at stake! Who will be next CM is not the issue but what he or she will do should be issue. At least Buddadeb will go down the history as a politician who dared to initiate another forced industrialization of waste Bengal but most people did not understood his motive. Dark days are ahead for Bangla! Leave Bengal and save your soul!
sabya99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #65
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 4860

Let's see how the Trinamool Congress brings "industrialization" and "investments" to the state with its "Ma Mati Manush" slogan. Without industrialization and investments, West Bengal cannot progress.

The Trinamool has its work cut out.

It cannot set up power plants in any of the selected sites because it has opposed them. They cannot set up industries in farmlands because there will always be some farmers opposed to giving up land. And if they do, the CPM will payback Trinamool in the same coin because that is the shortcut to the throne. For decades the CPM used this oppose theory (kendro dicche na) to fool people and won their blessings. Miss Mamata learnt the theory well and turned it upside down by opposing industrialization and allying with ultra left to cause mayhem and chaos. The electorate loved Agnikanya and have given her three victories in a row (Lok Sabha, Panachayat and Municipal).

So yes Mamata will have her day. She will become the CM of the state. She in her own capacity probably does want good for the state and not just the throne of Bengal. However no one in her party can dare to tell her that many of her policies are wrong for the state in the long run although they maybe good for the ballot box in the short term.

The next six years will be interesting. Miss Mamata will inherit the Maoists problem. While it is alleged that she has deals with them (like every other party), she cannot expect them to not extract their pound of flesh. There is trouble in the hills and it could lead to partition of Bengal.

She will really have her hands full meeting the expectations of 80 million people wanting "change".
Suncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #66
anirban_ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity View Post
Let's see how the Trinamool Congress brings "industrialization" and "investments" to the state with its "Ma Mati Manush" slogan. Without industrialization and investments, West Bengal cannot progress.

The Trinamool has its work cut out.

It cannot set up power plants in any of the selected sites because it has opposed them. They cannot set up industries in farmlands because there will always be some farmers opposed to giving up land. And if they do, the CPM will payback Trinamool in the same coin because that is the shortcut to the throne. For decades the CPM used this oppose theory (kendro dicche na) to fool people and won their blessings. Miss Mamata learnt the theory well and turned it upside down by opposing industrialization and allying with ultra left to cause mayhem and chaos. The electorate loved Agnikanya and have given her three victories in a row (Lok Sabha, Panachayat and Municipal).

So yes Mamata will have her day. She will become the CM of the state. She in her own capacity probably does want good for the state and not just the throne of Bengal. However no one in her party can dare to tell her that many of her policies are wrong for the state in the long run although they maybe good for the ballot box in the short term.

The next six years will be interesting. Miss Mamata will inherit the Maoists problem. While it is alleged that she has deals with them (like every other party), she cannot expect them to not extract their pound of flesh. There is trouble in the hills and it could lead to partition of Bengal.

She will really have her hands full meeting the expectations of 80 million people wanting "change".
Sun has captured my theory pretty well, I am for industrialization but not by beating up people. So Buddhababu lost me there. Think about a day when police comes to your house and beats you up, as they want your house for industry. But still I did not support the way TMC blocked Singur project, but I want to see how she brings developement.

One thing I have seen here in the US, that they develop a consensus and then go for it. Talk for as much as you want, but once you reach a final decision on anything (read acquisition of land), you have to swiftly implement it without corruption.

People of bengal are not fool, they want to try her out.
anirban_ban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #67
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirban_ban View Post
Sun has captured my theory pretty well, I am for industrialization but not by beating up people. So Buddhababu lost me there. Think about a day when police comes to your house and beats you up, as they want your house for industry. But still I did not support the way TMC blocked Singur project, but I want to see how she brings developement.

One thing I have seen here in the US, that they develop a consensus and then go for it. Talk for as much as you want, but once you reach a final decision on anything (read acquisition of land), you have to swiftly implement it without corruption.

People of bengal are not fool, they want to try her out.
The Nandigram issue is very fishy. Here you had people protesting against an "abandoned" project and then more than a dozen getting killed. The state government's message that the petrochemical project had been abandoned obvisouly didn't cut ice with the land owners. That shows the incompetence of the government machinery in reaching out to the people with correct information. There will always be people fishing in troubled waters and spreading rumours. It is the task of the administration to tackle those people politically and administratively.

The Singur issue is a tragedy of different sort. The Nano factory would have been a welcome addition to West Bengal's industrial development. The whole of Hooghly district would have reaped its benefits. Here too the government failed to convince people about the need for industrialization. And after the Nandigram fiasco, it completely lost its will to take on the rumours spread by various quarters. Thus trouble makers easily jumped into the controversy and created further complications. The 400 acres disputed land theory, promoted by some political parties, has not been supported by any document proof yet. Till now the courts have ruled in favour of the state on the legality of the acquistion (The case I believe is now pending in the Supreme Court).

As far as consensus goes, in West Bengal the two main parties are not on speaking terms. Miss Mamata and her ministers have boycotted all state government events. She doesn't even invite the state ministers to railway events. Once she becomes CM of Bengal, how does she think she will govern without the creating a consensus with the main opposition party? The TMC has a shipping minister but Haldia is having so many issues and the proposed private Bengal port is not getting proper support. In yesterday's Ananda Bazar Patrika there is a nice editorial which points out the lack of consensus on development between the political parties of Bengal compared to Karnataka or Gujarat.

In a democracy people's verdict has to be honoured. The people have spoken in favour of Mamata. Hopefully she will make Kolkata like London, Digha like Goa and north Bengal like Switzerland as promised.

Old June 6th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #68
niljee

Likes (Received): 96

Dear Moderators,

Some of the controversial posts have been rightfully removed, but I am wondering how one of the posts (attacking a particular community in Bengal), which I indicated in my now deleted post, is still there!
niljee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #69
SarafIndian

Likes (Received): 78

Ok. Lets post something cool..

Nachiketa and Ustad Rashid Khan performing fusion of tagore and indian classical..

Album: Yatra

Old June 7th, 2010, 02:21 AM   #70
Suncity
By the ocean

The Telegraph reports that the Trinamools 95 elected councillors will be advised by 95 "experts" (76 for now plus 19 more in the queue).

List of experts who will help in improving Kolkata

The Telegraph also quoted someone who said that the "experts" committee

Quote:
doesn’t include a town planner, urban development experts from institutes like the Bengal Engineering and Science University or Jadavpur University, and experts on water supply and heritage conservation.
However there could be some joining in the future.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/110060...y_12538078.jsp

Last edited by Suncity; June 7th, 2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #71
Suncity
By the ocean

New Mayor of Kolkata

Quote:
Name: Sovan Chatterjee
http://www.telegraphindia.com/110060...y_12537985.jsp

Better known as: Jol Sovan

Why Jol Sovan: He earned the moniker as the mayoral council member of water supply in the Trinamul-BJP board from 2000 to 2005. Claims to have “revolutionised the supply of treated drinking water in Calcutta”.

Educational qualification: BSc, LlB

Family members: Wife Ratna, son Saptarshi (Class VIII, La Martiniere for Boys) and daughter Suhani (Class I, La Martiniere for Girls).

Profession: Business of renting out godown space in Mahestala.

Won: Ward 131 (covering Behala Parnasree, Netaji Subhas Road, Upen Banerjee Road and Jinjira Khal) by 5,278 votes.

Political career: Started out as a Chhatra Parishad activist. Later joined the Trinamul Congress. Lost the 2006 Assembly polls from Behala West.

Why he knows the corporation well: Won all five civic elections since 1985; chairman of the Borough XIV committee since 2000; the mayoral council member of water supply in the Trinamul-BJP board from 2000 to 2005.

Being the first mayor from the added areas: Is an advantage because of the clean sweep there at the civic polls, he feels.

Vision for city: A cleaner and greener Calcutta with adequate supply of filtered surface water to every household.

Drives: Ambassador, Hyundai i10, Mitsubishi Pajero and a Toyota Qualis.

Never leaves home without: Pills for blood sugar, blood pressure, gastric trouble.

Hobbies: Photography and travel.

Countries visited: Japan, Oman, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Egypt, England, South Korea and Switzerland.

What will change: “I go to sleep late and wake up late (8.30-9). Now I will go to sleep late but must wake up early as well,” says Sovan. “We hardly get to see him and barely go on one family holiday a year. Now, even that will not be possible,” rues wife Ratna.
New Mayor of Salt Lake

http://www.telegraphindia.com/110060...y_12537985.jsp

Quote:
Name: Anita Mondal

Education: Graduate in political science

Family members: Husband Arup Mondal, who works in United Bank of India, and two sons — Arghya, 24, is studying law in Delhi while Ayan, 22, is a student of hotel management.

Winner from: Ward 4

Margin: 78 votes

Political background: Daughter of Manoranjan Bhakta, six-time Congress MP from the Andamans. Contested with a Congress ticket in Bidhannagar Municipality in 1995 and won. Became a Trinamul councillor in 2000. Lost in 2005.

Inspiration: Father and Mamata Banerjee

Pastime: Adda, munching chocolate, listening to Rabindrasangeet and Bangla band Bhoomi

Wheels: Public transport

Does not leave house without: Purse, mobile and handkerchief

Celebration plans: No time for that yet!

First thing to do: Meet the advisory committee

Amitabh or SRK: Amitabh

Sachin or Sourav: Sachin

Hemanta or Debabrata: Both. Plus, Kishore Kumar.

Argentina or Brazil: Umm...Brazil. My sons support Brazil.

Biryani or Chowmein: Chowmein in Chinatown
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #72
Suncity
By the ocean

As per ABP, the new Mayor will stress on the following

a) make Kolkata an international standard city
b) make Kolkata a clean and green city
c) no water tax
d) simplification of tax structure
e) improve water supply and drainage
f) conservation of heritage structures
g) cultural activities

Quote:
Old June 7th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #73
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:

Nachiketa and Ustad Rashid Khan performing fusion of tagore and indian classical..

Old June 7th, 2010, 03:52 AM   #74
mountaincloud
mountaincloud

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:

c) no water tax
g) cultural activities

all of these will be good initiatives. as mamata has declared, if she wants to make kolkata like london, she must read the london plan prepared by the greater london authority.

Advertising and signs, chimney stacks, walls, fence, and gates, shop fronts, material and color -- there are guidelines for urban form and design to give the city a distinct character.

paris looksbeautiful for a reason. there are strict regulations on maintenance of facades and internal safety. otherwise, the haussmanian structures will look blackish, ghostlike. what about the rent control law? if tenants pay rs. 100 what incentives does the "owner" have to maintain the old buildings of north kolkata? regulation needs leadership.

even making kolkata a green city -- not all trees are good for cities. kolkata could learn something about that from singapore. i am particularly disturbed by the "debdaru" tress which never grow straight up and are almost always slanted at 60 degrees with branches spreading out all over.

and, implementation/execution should be internalized into the "plan". what will be sad is if this expert committee only serves the purpose of winning the assembly elections. where are the urban experts?
mountaincloud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #75
SarafIndian

Likes (Received): 78

Forget London. If Mamata and her mumbo-jambo team can make Kolkata even like a part of Bangkok, I will her. Anyway, lets hope for the best and congratulate the new team..
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #76
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Expectations from the new mayor (forumers expectations appreciated)

My expectation from the new mayor would be more related to his area...i.e. Behala...since TMC has won all the 18 wards of Behala..i.e. Borough XIII and XIV there should be no problems in improving the condition of Behala...the problems of waterlogging (Behala Thana to Thakurpur & Simultala to Parnashree), proper drinking water(entire Behala, Thakurpukur and Chanditala), wider roads (especially from Tram Depot to Joka by removing/concretizing the tram line and widening the DH Road at least by 2 lanes), proper garbage disposal system (esp. 14# market), removing or proper allocation of hawkers, this is my expectation...
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #77
Samrat

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:

c) no water tax
g) cultural activities

....and what about:

(a) potholed roads,
(b) removal of enchroachments/hawkers from footpaths
(c) clean the garbage from the streets
(b) removal of old(15 years+) polluting vehicles from the roads
(e) to make Kolkata less pollutant city

....and many more.

I don't understand why they promise not to levy water tax. Why they miss a chance to get a source of fund?

Lastly, as Saraf has already said, we will salute her if she makes the city like a part of Shanghai, Bangkok or Singapore

Last edited by Samrat; June 7th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Samrat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #78
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincloud View Post
all of these will be good initiatives. as mamata has declared, if she wants to make kolkata like london, she must read the london plan prepared by the greater london authority.

Advertising and signs, chimney stacks, walls, fence, and gates, shop fronts, material and color -- there are guidelines for urban form and design to give the city a distinct character.

paris looksbeautiful for a reason. there are strict regulations on maintenance of facades and internal safety. otherwise, the haussmanian structures will look blackish, ghostlike. what about the rent control law? if tenants pay rs. 100 what incentives does the "owner" have to maintain the old buildings of north kolkata? regulation needs leadership.

even making kolkata a green city -- not all trees are good for cities. kolkata could learn something about that from singapore. i am particularly disturbed by the "debdaru" tress which never grow straight up and are almost always slanted at 60 degrees with branches spreading out all over.

and, implementation/execution should be internalized into the "plan". what will be sad is if this expert committee only serves the purpose of winning the assembly elections. where are the urban experts?
Mamta's dream of converting Kolkata on the footprints of London can be taken place under the following circumstances:
1)increase the number of public urinals by thousands
2)proper maintainence of 1 and using signages proper utilization and easy access
3)improving the river front like it is on both sides of Thames
4)reviving the heritage buildings by proper maintainence, removing illegal residents/tenents of those properties and unifying their colors, renovating and properly lighting them up!
5)clearing the hooghly river like the London authority did for thames
6)making proper laws for putting up hoardings and impossing fines for illegal hoardings!
7)since Indians have a good habit of chewing gutkhas/panparag/khaini and spitting it here and there, proper rules must be made so that they spit on spitpots...which should be installed all around the city...and not on road/cars/someone's helmet/bike/howrah bridge......if caught should be heavily fined
8)some concern for the smokers too..proper butt disposal pot..[]
9)proper public transport system
10)introducing congession fees

then only we can proudly say that our city is an international standard city...
Old June 7th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #79
sabya99

Quote:

A cool music by nachiketa!
But for God's sake please dont distort or reverse engineer RABINDRASANGEET. That will be painful to all of us.
sabya99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #80
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabya99 View Post
A cool music by nachiketa!
But for God's sake please dont distort or reverse engineer RABINDRASANGEET. That will be painful to all of us.
Why not? Tagore was not a conservative guy when it came to music. He experimented with all kinds of music. Let people decide what they want to listen to.

Tags
calcutta, films, kolkata, kolkatta, music

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: