daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #41
MarcusValhalla

Likes (Received): 0

Usherling: do you have the e-version of verbal diarrhea?
MarcusValhalla no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 20th, 2005, 04:59 AM   #42
Confused Philosopher
if only i knew...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic
It was planned to be an observation tower kebabmonster - with a series of decks for viewing, then topped off with the needle..

Our height restrictions have put paid to that but they will be up in the air (ha!) until the Richardsons try to get their tower pushed through planning (if red light then all plans for anything over 120m will probably get torn up, and if green light you can bet there will be a glut of talls planned...).

I think the Needle would look great in Eastside - there is nothing much hostoric there so it will effectively be a new quarter.

Something like Seattle's Space Needle would look kinda good too though
The problem with the Space Needle is that it's too damn far from it's cluster... looks kinda out of place in some angles. And another thing is that it's kinda short for an observation tower... at least 100m shorter than the tallest building.
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #43
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused Philosopher
The problem with the Space Needle is that it's too damn far from it's cluster... looks kinda out of place in some angles. And another thing is that it's kinda short for an observation tower... at least 100m shorter than the tallest building.
I like the counterbalance effect it has on the Seattle skyline - kind of like our very own BT tower from some angles I agree that it does looks short now compared to downtown - but it was built in the 60's!
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #44
Usherling
Birmingham IS Second City

It may get bigger, that is just speculation. Hopefully it will look classy in Eastside with everything planned there it'll look quite nice.