daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Aviation and Airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1201 votes, 4.99 average.
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #3001
zenith_suv

Likes (Received): 36

It is such a shame that MIAL is short on land and new airport seems stuck forever. We could very well have had 2 stunning airports in two of our biggest cities by now.

Plus those Slums near the airport make me wanna pull my eyes out, Where T3 stands today in delhi there used to be a slum area nearby , something called nangra devi area (correct me if I'm wrong), when GMR took over it was cleared very swiftly without a word being said. I wish something similar is done for Bombay. The beautiful interiors of T2 will hold for much less if we still see slums on the approach while landing.
zenith_suv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 5th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #3002
parthochoudhury

Likes (Received): 2

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugunthsboa View Post
Which terminal is this?
T1C....not really a terminal, but a hall between T1A and T1B.....
parthochoudhury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #3003
dhim100

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchimaruGin1 View Post
love mumbai as a city. But T3 has much better looking interiors....

Just my opinion.

however as an airport mumbai airport has been getting better ratings ever since GMR took ever at skytrax

from 1 star to consistently 2-3 star. Most of the issues are now with either rude staff (like some foreigners who travelled AI and got something misplaced or the other somehow decided it was the airports fault only)

or delayed flights.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me this terminal (areas shown in the pic) is very sleek and modern looking.

I do agree about the slum part though. Those slums are real eyesore. It gotta go.
dhim100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #3004
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith_suv View Post
It is such a shame that MIAL is short on land and new airport seems stuck forever. We could very well have had 2 stunning airports in two of our biggest cities by now.

Plus those Slums near the airport make me wanna pull my eyes out, Where T3 stands today in delhi there used to be a slum area nearby , something called nangra devi area (correct me if I'm wrong), when GMR took over it was cleared very swiftly without a word being said. I wish something similar is done for Bombay. The beautiful interiors of T2 will hold for much less if we still see slums on the approach while landing.
dude the slums in case of delhi airport were small compared to that of Mumbai which has one of the biggest clusters of slums surrounding it.

Secondly mumbai airport is bang in the middle of greater mumbai unlike delhi which is away from the main city.

however it does have its pluses. Bandra kurla complex the future premier commercial CBD of Mumbai will be a stones throw away. So good for business travellers.
IchimaruGin1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #3005
zenith_suv

Even for contruction of T2 , some of those slums would surely need to be gotten rid of . Has any work taken place on that front?
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #3006
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

Quote:
Even for contruction of T2 , some of those slums would surely need to be gotten rid of . Has any work taken place on that front?
No

i think what one word accurately describes the situation. No movement what so ever.....

Might be wise to move the small private aircraft to juhu aerodrome.
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #3007
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

speaking of which

Divert aircraft to ease traffic’

Quote:
The Juhu aerodrome has the potential to cut down flight delays at the Mumbai airport.
A preliminary assessment by consultancy major KPMG said the Juhu airstrip could be used to land small planes such as 30-seater turboprop aircraft. It currently caters to at least 90 helicopter operations a day.
Last month, the Airports Authority of India (AAI) had appointed KPMG to conduct a feasibility study for the Juhu aerodrome.
“It [the Juhu aerodrome] is the best option to decongest Mumbai airport for the time being,” said Amber Dubey, director, Aerospace and Defence, KPMG. “The preliminary report will be submitted to AAI by the end of July.”
Small aircraft comprise 15 per cent of the 700 daily take-offs and landings at the city airport. Shifting small aircraft traffic to Juhu could relieve the main airport, which is burdened with 35 to 40 flight movements every hour.
“The airport can handle a maximum of 30 movements in an hour. But excess flight allotments and construction work on the airfield lead to delays,”said a senior air traffic control official requesting anonymity. "We would suggest that the 1,100-metre Juhu airstrip be expanded by at least 900 metres to make it feasible for operations.”Aviation experts feel that Juhu is the best interim option since the proposed airport at Navi Mumbai is yet to get environmental clearance.
“The state government needs to think of an alternative because the existing airport will soon be saturated,” said Milan Zatakia, national vice president, Air Passenger Association of India.
Ministry of Environment and Forest on Monday asked the state to clarify objections recorded during public hearings for the new airport.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Divert...e1-565154.aspx

IMO they should make Juhu aero dome a permanent hub for private crafts and helicopters even when NM airport is built.

Was talking to somebody in the know and they told me that this has the potential to raise the final handling capacity of Mumbai airport from 40 to 50 million by 2015.
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #3008
parthochoudhury

Lightbulb

Quote:
Was talking to somebody in the know and they told me that this has the potential to raise the final handling capacity of Mumbai airport from 40 to 50 million by 2015.
Yes, that sounds sensible...since it would free up a lot many unscheduled landing and TO slots. However, the last I heard, the a newly built GA terminal was opened in CSIA. Doesnt that handle all pvt aircraft movements too??? So if these aircrafts move to Juhu, what happens to the GA terminal building??

Anyways, the biggies at MoCA plan to meet on July 15th to discuss how to decongest CSIA.

Wonder what ideas they will come up with??? Perhaps they intend to wish a new runway outta thin air....may be a magic carpet....the babus cud rub a magic ring everytime the need an extra landing slot!!!

My fear is that there is background wheeling and dealing with all pvt airlines to shift base to DEL T3 and give BOM the shaft.....either ways, MoCA and GoI make money thru AAI, so why wud they give a damn!!!

Ministry meet on July 15 to review congestion at Mumbai airport

People flying in and out of Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport in Mumbai may expect some respite from congestion and delays. The civil aviation ministry is meeting on July 15 to resolve the problem.

“We are meeting on July 15 to review the congestion at the Mumbai airport and also find solutions so that the congestion could be eased. The problem could be either from the airline’s side or because of the construction at the airport,” said a senior ministry official, who did not want to be identified.

An airport of Mumbai’s size can handle traffic of over 60 flights an hour but the airport currently operates only 31 flights an hour, and on an average, the flights are delayed by 30 minutes, the official added.
A senior executive at the Mumbai airport said the congestion was because of various reasons and not one.

“We are at a stage which Delhi was a year back. There is huge construction work going on at the airport. One of the runways has been recarpeted and the work on the other is to start soon,” he said.

Unlike Delhi, which has three adjacent runways, two runways at the Mumbai airport intersect at a point.

“Also, the air traffic control at the airport is short-staffed, which further adds to the problem,” added the source.

The Mumbai airport, along with the ones in Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore and Kolkata, handles over 50 per cent of the passengers in India. In 2008, for the second year in a row, it was the world’s most-delayed airport in terms of arrivals with only 49.95 per cent of arrivals on time. About 58 per cent of its late arrivals in 2008 were delayed by 30 minutes or more.

Currently, the Mumbai airport caters to 25 million passengers a year and is being modernised by Mumbai International Airport Ltd, a consortium of GVK Industries Ltd and Airports Company South Africa.

To ease congestion, a new airport is also being planned in Mumbai. The proposed Navi Mumbai International airport is to be built through public-private partnership. Under this arrangement, the private sector partner will get 74 per cent equity, while the Airports Authority of India and the state government (through City and Industrial Development Corporation) will hold 13 per cent each.

Delay in environmental clearances has already delayed the project by two years.

The first phase of the project was to begin in 2008 and complete by 2012 but the work has not yet started.
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #3009
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

hmm well it might be a temp measure before the full move to Juhu
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #3010
zenith_suv

Gatwick does an amazing job with a single runway , some streamlining in aero operations as well as policy regarding minimum distance between aircrafts will help bombay airport big time. Also , I'm not sure if a surface movement radar is installed at mumbai as it helps reducing delays on the ground significantly.
Old July 5th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #3011
sammyk

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Gatwick does an amazing job with a single runway , some streamlining in aero operations as well as policy regarding minimum distance between aircrafts will help bombay airport big time. Also , I'm not sure if a surface movement radar is installed at mumbai as it helps reducing delays on the ground significantly.
They are supposed to get one this year.
sammyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #3012
bhargavsura

Quote:

Petty, cheap, and dirty politics my friend, politics!
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #3013
IU
->

Quote:
Originally Posted by devendra1 View Post
Aarree Bhai Mera Post Kisne Delete Kiya. Kitne Mehenat se likha tha. Is it possible to delete some one else's post
No post has been deleted. Maybe your post didn't come through or you closed the browser/tab before it actually got posted.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #3014
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
however as an airport mumbai airport has been getting better ratings ever since GMR took ever at skytrax
gmr runs delhi. bombay is gvk
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #3015
parthochoudhury

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
They are supposed to get one this year.
By October, to be precise.....
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #3016
The Mentalist
BANNED

Quote:
s the 1,100-metre Juhu airstrip be expanded by at least 900 metres to make it feasible for operations
That is impossible unless they extend runway over the sea.
The Mentalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #3017
parthochoudhury

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mentalist View Post
That is impossible unless they extend runway over the sea.
over Juhu beach??? nah.....Jairam Ramesh will tear his remaining hair apart, if he even overheard this one.....
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #3018
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthochoudhury View Post
over Juhu beach??? nah.....Jairam Ramesh will tear his remaining hair apart, if he even overheard this one.....
I strongly suspect he wears a wig.

honestly.
Old July 6th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #3019
p2p4

Likes (Received): 1398

Quote:
I strongly suspect he wears a wig.

honestly.
Ichi / Partho - Ramesh is the only hope for environmental concerns in India. He may be off on his targets to curb environmental rape that goes on all over the country (with anti-environmental morons having a field day ******* this country left and right , with scant disregard for what really matters - environmentally).

All other environmental ministers have been mere MDCs without a straight spine !!!!!
p2p4 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #3020
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2p4 View Post
Ichi / Partho - Ramesh is the only hope for environmental concerns in India. He may be off on his targets to curb environmental rape that goes on all over the country (with anti-environmental morons having a field day ******* this country left and right , with scant disregard for what really matters - environmentally).

All other environmental ministers have been mere MDCs without a straight spine !!!!!
I agree with that. But still think he wears a wig.

On the issue of Juhu runway being extended into the sea.

I personally dont see how it can be expanded by another 900 metres?

the real question to the airport and runway experts out there is

surely this is a case of bad reporting. 1100 metres (as is already the case) is enough for a 30 seater private plane to land?

Last edited by IchimaruGin1; July 6th, 2010 at 12:49 PM.

Tags
mumbai

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: