daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Miami

Miami Includes Broward and Palm Beach Counties » Development News

Old July 11th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #81

Likes (Received): 920

You're just being gay.

Ehhrm, your avatar and your "canadian"-thing makes me think you're actully gay.
To bad for you. Coming from Ohio, being gay, living in Canada and just lost LeBron.

Oh, I just don't wanna be you!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 11th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #82
theEmbarcadero

Likes (Received): 2147

Oh how I wish Clevelander's (and the ESPN crew) would get over themselves about being humiliated and embarrassed on national TV!!!

Do you even have any perspective about life? This includes everyone from the owner, to the losers who burned jerseys?

Do you know what it is like to lose a son in Afghanistan?

Do you know what it is like to go a week in Port Au Prince with no water?

Do you know what it is like to have lost a loved one in a tsunami and their body never recovered?

Do you know what it is like to lose your job and have to come home and tell your wife and kids?

Everytime I see Americans come out of a disaster safely, they quickly tell the cameras that the only important thing is that they are ALIVE and SAFE...yet they go back home and go ballistic if an athlete moves on.

If a basketball player leaving town legally is what humiliates you---I think you need to re-think things!

As spellbound said (and we were both in Miami when it happened), we know what it is like to have the guts ripped out of us? The Dolphins were at the top of the football world...3 straight Super Bowls...2 SB wins..a perfect season...only to see 3 of our biggest stars "take their talents" elsewhere.

But we survived...went back to our lives...our jobs...our girlfriends...our wives...our children and our Dophins. We had a pretty good 20 year run after that.....Woodstrock...and then Marino...who brought in the most exciting passing that the NFL had ever seen.

I read many comments from Cavs fans about how this would have been unecessary if they could hav just gotten Bosh...with no thought that they would gladly do to Toronto what Miami did to Cleveland.

I can't see how Clevelanders feel humiliated, at all! I will say nothing to disparage your city and state, so please refrain from doing the same to mine. I love my beautifully flawed city as much as you love yours. And it is a weak argument to proclaim the LeBron James should stay loyal to the Cavaliers just because he is a hometown kid. Are you nuts? I would venture to guess that almost every person who reads my post will be someone who left their hometown for better opportunities. I am the biggest fan of the City of Miami in this forum--yet I moved away when my calling and passion took me away. And that is exactly the same thing that drew most of you TO Miami!

I love my Hurricanes, Dolphins, Heat, Marlins, and Panthers more than anyone I know....!! I get joy from when they win and sadness when they lose, no question.

But I have lost far more precious loved ones in my lifetime than any professional athlete who doesn't even know my name....

Blessings!

Last edited by theEmbarcadero; July 11th, 2010 at 04:09 AM.
theEmbarcadero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #83
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
You're just being gay.

To bad for you. Coming from Ohio, being gay, living in Canada and just lost LeBron.

Wow, and you're just being a moron! It says on here my location is Columbus, not Canada. And I don't know to many straight men who have that avatar. So yeah, logic would dictate that there is a good chance I'm gay. But my question is this, why do you care if I'm gay? You seen awfully interested in my sexuality. Are you looking for a date or something? I suggest you go to one of those crappy gay bars in South Beach. Closet case! LMAO

Last edited by Chadoh25; July 11th, 2010 at 04:22 AM.
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #84
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEmbarcadero View Post
Oh how I wish Clevelander's ( and the ESPN crew) would get over themselves about being humiliated and embarrased on national TV!!!

Do you even have any perspective about life? This includes everyone from the owner to the losers who burned jerseys?

Do you know what it is like to lose a son in Afghanistan?

Do you know what it is like to go a week in Port Au Prince with no water?

Do you know what it is like to have lost a loved one in a tsunami and their body never recovered?

Do you know what it is like to lose your job andhave to come home and tell your wife and kids?

If a basketball player leaving town legally is what humiliates you---I think youneed to re-think things!

As spellbound said (and we were both in Miami when it happened) we know what it is like to have the guts ripped out of us? The Dolphins were at the top of the football world...3 straight Super Bowls...2 SB wins..a perfect season...only to see 3 of ur biggest stars "take their talents" elsewhere.

But we survived...went back to our lives...our jobs...our girlfriends...our wives...our children and our Dophins. We had a pretty good 20 year run after that.....Woodstrock...and then Marino...who brought in the most exciting passing that the NFL had ever seen.

I read many comments from Cavs fans about how this would have been unecessary if they could hav just gotten Bosh...with no thought that they would gladly do to Toronto what Miami did for Cleveland.

I can't see how Clevelanders feel humiliated, at all! I will say nothing to disparage your city and state, so please refrain from doing the same to mine. I love my beautifly flawed city as much as you love yours.

I love my Hurricanes, Dolphins, Heat, Marlins, and Panthers more than anyone I know....!! I get joy from when they win and sadness when they lose, no question.

But I have lost far more precious loved ones in my lifetime than any professional athlete who doesn't even know my name....

Blessings!
WOW, and I thought I was dramatic! LOL I really don't see how Haiti or Afganistan has ANYTHING to do with this! Lebums behavior wasn't right. I think most people would agree with that. Of course you're the ones getting him so you wont see it that way. And just FYI, as I said before, I'm not a huge sports fan, so he did not humiliate me personally. But like I said, there are alot of upset people in Cleveland and NE Ohio and if Lebron was such a professional, as he claims to be, then he shouldn't not have dumped the Cav's on nationial TV. If I wanted to leave my job, I wouldn't do it on National TV. And when I did want to leave, I would do so by notifying my place of employment in advance.

Last edited by Chadoh25; July 11th, 2010 at 04:21 AM.
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 04:18 AM   #85
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 4497

LeBron owed nothing to Cleveland and how he breaks the news to a bunch of grown men should not matter! He did it on ESPN, if he would've done a 5 minute press conference it would be on ESPN and everyother news outlet in the country LIVE! There is no low key way someone like LeBron could've told a bunch of drunk softies in Cleveland.

Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #86
gixxer1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I'm originally from Columbus, Ohio. I have to agree with others here that if you seriously feel humiliated because a basketball player decided to play for a team in a different city then you have a messed up perspective on life.

Although I would agree that some people humiliated themselves by allowing the local news to show footage of them crying on tv because of this.

On a side note how is what Lebron did any different than the draft. You put a bunch of young kids dreaming of hitting the jackpot of playing in the NBA in a room and a bunch of teams pick and choose who they want on national television.

But a player takes control of the situation and turns it around against the owners and now he's the villain???

The people of Cleveland did not love or support Lebron. They came and cheered for a guy that helped their team win. If Lebron turned out to be a flop these same people would have thought nothing of the team trading him for a better player. Would that of been humiliating for him? Lebron helped take the Cavaliers farther then they've ever been and brought millions of dollars to the local economy. And even though he didn't win a championship he still negotiated a contract extension to continue playing and didn't leave the first chance he got.

The people complaining about his TV decisions would still be complaining had he done it any other way. So he promoted himself and helped a lot of kids who really need help in the process. I read that more people watched him during his decision than they did when he went to the NBA finals.

If anything it sounds like Lebron understands the business aspect of this game better than any other player.

Owners aren't about loyalty and sacrifice. This is a business and they run it as such. And the funny thing is that they do it off the backs of the players. But when a player treats it as a business they are some how disloyal cowards.

I'd like to know this, knowing what they know now would Cleveland fans prefer if Lebron never played for the Cavs??? Because it seems like any way they cut it they got a good deal. They got a guy that lifted their team and took it farther then it has ever been for the last 7 years and then got a lot of good first round draft picks now that he's gone. Any way you cut it Cleveland owes more to Lebron than Lebron owes to Cleveland, especially Dan Gilbert.
gixxer1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #87
clean_polo

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadoh25 View Post
LOL That's a good one. Did you come up with that gem all on your own? What I heard this morning sums it up best. What he did was equal to some guy dumbing his girlfriend via the jumbotron. He has no class (guess he'll fit in well in Miami) and doesn't deserve the respect of the good people of Ohio. I mean who the heck goes on National TV to tell the fans who have been cheering for him for all these years that he is now dumping them to go play in Miami. I'm sorry, but that was just wrong!
Yeah, because thats what someone with class says right? You seem a little jealous man, everything will be ok . You keep trying to act like this isn't affecting you at all but yet you call him "Lebum" lol. People in Cleveland need to move on, he broke your hearts, everybody sees that, but to sit there and drowned in your own tears isn't the way to handle all of this.

Last edited by clean_polo; July 11th, 2010 at 07:25 AM.
clean_polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #88
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Likes (Received): 4795

Quote:
You're just being gay.

C'mon, 1772. I found that response to be really disappointing. You can be better than this.

You happen to live in one of the most gay-friendly areas of the country and both Miami and South Florida in general have benefited TREMENDOUSLY by the large gay presence there.

South Beach, Morningside, the MiMo District, Wilton Manors, Las Olas, Miami Shores, Victoria Park...ALL of those places have seen great revivals largely because of the contributions of gay residents and investors. It's something all of us should be aware of AND grateful for.

Frankly, I'd have to question how much a Miamian or South Floridian knows about their own backyard if they are not cognizant of that. And respectful of it.

You are too smart and too adult (presumably) to be making an issue about sexuality. Aren't you?

spellbound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #89
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 12173

Quote:
You're just being gay.
I'm not sure what this means.

Quote:
Too bad for you. Coming from Ohio, being gay, living in Canada and just lost LeBron.

I think lots of guys in the forum have a different opinion about this and not just Spell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
C'mon, 1772. I found that response to be really disappointing. You can be better than this.

You happen to live in one of the most gay-friendly areas of the country and both Miami and South Florida in general have benefited TREMENDOUSLY by the large gay presence there.

South Beach, Morningside, the MiMo District, Wilton Manors, Las Olas, Miami Shores, Victoria Park...ALL of those places have seen great revivals largely because of the contributions of gay residents and investors. It's something all of us should be aware of AND grateful for.

Frankly, I'd have to question how much a Miamian or South Floridian knows about their own backyard if they are not cognizant of that. And respectful of it.

You are too smart and too adult (presumably) to be making an issue about sexuality. Aren't you?

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #90
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

With the Cleveland stuff, rather than respond to a bunch of posts I'll just say this:

First of all, like a LOT of people (including many Heat fans) I was also uncomfortable with the way LeBron went about all this. I thought the whole spectacle was ill-conceived and frankly kind of juvenile. I won't say otherwise just because I'm happy for the team. There are classier ways of doing it, and I wish it had been done that way.

And, yes, I certainly DO sympathize with the Cleveland fans. They are good, loyal folks who stick by their teams better than most places despite the countless frustrations. They have every reason to be disappointed and hurt. Had Dwyane Wade left for Chicago (as he nearly did) we Miami fans would be voicing many of the same sentiments right now, and nobody should kid themselves otherwise.

BUT It's equally true that LeBron didn't "owe" those fans anything at this juncture. He was a free-agent with the liberty to make his own choice of where he wished to continue his career, and the Heat (through very sound planning) was in position to make it happen. Hell, LeBron even TRIED to stay in Cleveland by recruiting Bosh, but it just didn't work out. It's not as if he was bad-mouthing the city and looking to escape at the first opportunity. It's his home and he has never said anything negative about it, even if some of those same fans who adored him just a few days ago are now portraying him as some kind of cross between Benedict Arnold and Satan incarnate.

And the city-bashing stuff is just beyond childish. I've heard it directed at Miami in any number of ways from talk-radio to newspaper columns (and, yes, I've been reading those comments in the online Cleveland Plain Dealer, too) and ALL of it is just the lowest kind of dumbass vitriol that bespeaks nothing so much as deflected self-loathing.

And, yes, I would say exactly the same thing about any Miamian doing the same---and it's what I think of them, too.

When people get into that kind of stuff it tells me they really have little confidence in where they live, because if you have to build someplace up by tearing another down then you really don't have much going on at all.

We can argue LeBron all day, but let's please stick to that. The "my city is better than your city" stuff is better suited for 5-year-olds.

Old July 11th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #91
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Quote:
WOW, and I thought I was dramatic! LOL I really don't see how Haiti or Afganistan has ANYTHING to do with this! Lebums behavior wasn't right. I think most people would agree with that. Of course you're the ones getting him so you wont see it that way. And just FYI, as I said before, I'm not a huge sports fan, so he did not humiliate me personally. But like I said, there are alot of upset people in Cleveland and NE Ohio and if Lebron was such a professional, as he claims to be, then he shouldn't not have dumped the Cav's on nationial TV. If I wanted to leave my job, I wouldn't do it on National TV. And when I did want to leave, I would do so by notifying my place of employment in advance.
I don't want to speak for Embarcadero (he's quite adept at it himself), but I think you really misconstrued his statements.

He used those examples simply as perspective on the type of things that are TRULY important---in contrast to some of the most extremist and vitriolic things coming from some quarters about this whole deal. I'm not saying YOU are behaving that way, but some surely are and it's a bit nauseating.

Aside from that, I think you'll find no lack of people (myself included) who don't really disagree LeBron should have handled this differently. It's just some of the hysteria and fury (including city bashing) emanating from this that many of us find so ridiculous and overwrought.

Old July 11th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #92
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
And the city-bashing stuff is just beyond childish. We can argue LeBron all day, but let's please stick to that. The "my city is better than your city" stuff is better suited for 5-year-olds.
Quote:
It's just some of the hysteria and fury (including city bashing) emanating from this that many of us find so ridiculous and overwrought.
Just so you guys know, I've already issued a couple of infractions regarding this. Don't you dare come into the Miami forum from somewhere talking trash and being uncivil.

My photo threads:

Old July 11th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #93

Quote:
Wow, and you're just being a moron! It says on here my location is Columbus, not Canada. And I don't know to many straight men who have that avatar. So yeah, logic would dictate that there is a good chance I'm gay. But my question is this, why do you care if I'm gay? You seen awfully interested in my sexuality. Are you looking for a date or something? I suggest you go to one of those crappy gay bars in South Beach. Closet case! LMAO
Naw... I didn't mean to hurt your fellings buddy boy, I was just trying to be funny.

And please... could you try not to be such a cliché and start yapping about "closet case"?
It's funny how gay people can always pull that one on anyone going against them.
Can sports fans do the same? "You don't like the Dolphins? Haha, you're a closet-Dolphin!"

Old July 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #94
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 792

I can see how Clevelanders could feel humiliated for LeBron James's leaving and the way he did it. People get embarrassed over all kinds of things that in the end matter little. Plus, the media has been full of statements akin to "Of course, he went to Miami. Who would want to play in Cleveland?" As if that were a valid question, even in its rhetorical form. By that logic, Peyton Manning should have signed with the Dolphins years ago.

But it's also not fair to blame LeBron for the situation. Many commentators have compared him to Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kobe, etc. saying that none of those guys would have approached this the way LeBron did. Well, you can't compare LeBron those guys; they don't play the same game. Jordan, Kobe, Magic and the rest played basketball. The only game LeBron has ever known is one where he's the face of a lucrative marketing campaign. LeBron didn't make his decision to come to Miami Thursday night; it was set in motion years ago by agents, probably when he was a sophomore in high school. The guy probably has the equivalent of an eighth grade education (let's face it - he probably didn't do a lot of learning at St. Vincent-St. Mary), so what do you expect him to do? He won't win championships to win championships; he'll do it to improve his brand. That's all he's ever been taught is the point of basketball. He never had a chance to strive for anything more noble than to follow the fame.

One more thing - I don't buy that Miami Thrice means guaranteed championships. Can you think of a team that won a championship without a supporting cast? If Stockton and Malone couldn't bring one back to Utah, it's never guaranteed.

PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #95
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 792

Also, for those of us who have dreamed for years of erecting a statue of Rony Seikaly outside of AAA, I fear it's now or never.

PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #96
clean_polo

Likes (Received): 116

I find it ironic that LeBron spent some time at The Clevelander the other night lol.

clean_polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #97
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Naw... I didn't mean to hurt your fellings buddy boy, I was just trying to be funny.

And please... could you try not to be such a cliché and start yapping about "closet case"?
It's funny how gay people can always pull that one on anyone going against them.
Can sports fans do the same? "You don't like the Dolphins? Haha, you're a closet-Dolphin!"
But you are offending a lot of people in trying to be funny. As Spell said, you can be better.

My photo threads:

Old July 12th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #98

Quote:

I was trying to be funny. Jeez, I'm sorry aight?!

Old July 12th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #99
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Quote:
I was trying to be funny. Jeez, I'm sorry aight?!
It's fine, dude. I just think it really didn't come across that way, but I don't believe you're a hateful person or anything like that.

Old July 12th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #100
Endeavor305
Registered Fool

Likes (Received): 1787

Endeavor305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote