daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains » Development News | Includes all plains states, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #41
MilwaukeeMax

Likes (Received): 75

--deleted--

Last edited by MilwaukeeMax; August 11th, 2010 at 01:04 AM.
MilwaukeeMax no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 10th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #42
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 16

^ A quick look at the individual websites shows that indeed Mitchell has been busier than Indy, St.L, Cincy, Cleveland, but not K.C. All stats are self reported.

Total Passengers for June 2010
  • O'Hare 5,794,650 (May)
  • Minny 3,023,881
  • Detroit 2,976,230
  • Chi Midway 1,564,088 (May)
  • Kansas City MCI 945,892
  • Milwaukee Mitchell 922,984
  • Cleveland 885,365 (May)
  • Cincy CVG 714,939
  • Indy 675,519
  • St.Louis 656,286
  • Omaha 415,914
  • Des Moines 171,036
  • Columbus 161,038
  • Dayton 121,514

Last edited by jpIllInoIs; August 10th, 2010 at 11:56 PM.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #43
MilwaukeeMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
^ A quick look at the individual websites shows that indeed Mitchell has been busier than Indy, St.L, Cincy, Cleveland, but not K.C. All stats are self reported.

Total Passengers for June 2010
  • O'Hare 5,794,650 (May)
  • Minny 3,023,881
  • Detroit 2,976,230
  • Chi Midway 1,564,088 (May)
  • Kansas City MCI 945,892
  • Milwaukee Mitchell 922,984
  • Cleveland 885,365 (May)
  • Cincy CVG 714,939
  • Indy 675,519
  • St.Louis 656,286
  • Omaha 415,914
  • Des Moines 171,036
  • Columbus 161,038
  • Dayton 121,514
okay, so it's a bit inaccurate perhaps (to compare different months of traffic with each other), but the numbers from the BTS website through April 2010 added to the additional month (May or June) as indicated by JPIllinois above, total passengers (with one month missing) for 2010 for these midwestern airports is as follows:

ORD 57.8 mil
MSP 31.6 mil
DET 30.4 mil
MDW 18.3 mil
STL 12.4 mil
MCI - 10.9 mil
CVG - 10 mil
MKE - 10 mil
CLE - 9.9 mil

IND 7.9 mil
CMH - 6.2 mil
OMA - 4.6 mil
DSM - 1.8 mil

So, it would appear that MKE has leapfrogged Cleveland, Indianapolis, Columbus, and (most likely by now) Cincy. Perhaps Kansas City by the end of the year too. Interesting to note that St. Louis' airport, while still in the 4-spot for total passengers, has been having a steady decline in traffic and is shrinking in size in terms of these numbers by about 6%. Cleveland has lost about 8%. Cincy has been losing passengers even more drastically and has shrunk by about 20%, while MKE has been growing by 25% or more in that time period.
Old August 11th, 2010, 02:41 AM   #44
Crankbaiter
Crankbaiter

Likes (Received): 38

Looks like quite a tussle for 5th place. The trends are good for KC and MKE but with such a huge population of Northern IL and a sizable outstate WI and MKE collar counties to draw on, MKE may get the nod at #5. Pretty big gap between #5 and #4 though.

Having 8 lanes of expressway between Chicago and Milwaukee, plus Amtrak, plus Metra Regional Rail makes the inter-connectivity between the two cities a plus for Mitchell. Air Tran and Southwest are in MKE to make big growth!
Crankbaiter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #45
Steely Dan
facist lord of the cosmos

Likes (Received): 117

^chicagoland's 3 northenmost counties (lake, mchenry, & Kenosha) total over 1.2 million people, and if you add that figure to Milwaukee's CSA population of 1.7 million, then we're looking at a potential MKE market closing in on 3 million people. With destinations increasing and prices decreasing, I'd say MKE does have a real shot at number 5 in the Midwest. Midway will be a tougher hill to climb.
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #46
Crankbaiter
Crankbaiter

Not to mention that the collar counties of Walworth, Jefferson, Sheboygan, Fond du Lac, and Dodge add another 500,000. Realistically, the Census Bureau should add these counties to MKE's CSA.

I also see in the 2040 NE Illinois Transportation Plan, widening the 5 mile stretch of I-94 between IL173 and the WI-IL state line to 4 lanes is recommended.
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #47
perilouspete

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^chicagoland's 3 northenmost counties (lake, mchenry, & Kenosha) total over 1.2 million people, and if you add that figure to Milwaukee's CSA population of 1.7 million, then we're looking at a potential MKE market closing in on 3 million people. With destinations increasing and prices decreasing, I'd say MKE does have a real shot at number 5 in the Midwest. Midway will be a tougher hill to climb.
Kinda nit-picky but I'm pretty sure Kenosha is counted already in Milwaukee's 1.7 million.
perilouspete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #48
Jesse276

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by perilouspete View Post
Kinda nit-picky but I'm pretty sure Kenosha is counted already in Milwaukee's 1.7 million.
It's not, Milwaukee can count 1.7 million even without adding Racine Co. Kenosha is firmly in the Chicago metro.
Jesse276 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #49
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 16

UHG not another MSA taffy pull....

perilouspete I just noticed your location; Milwacky.. haeehaeehaee its funny cause its true.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #50
mbradleyc
Not Sure

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
It's not, Milwaukee can count 1.7 million even without adding Racine Co. Kenosha is firmly in the Chicago metro.
I revile anything to do with Chicago. We are proud cheeseheads in K-Town. FIBs can go home.
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #51
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 36

Yeah just like others have said, Kenosha is NOT (officially) part of the Milwaukee MSA.
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #52
perilouspete

Likes (Received): 10

maaaaaaaaight so i'm wrong.
perilouspete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #53
Crankbaiter
Crankbaiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
Yeah just like others have said, Kenosha is NOT (officially) part of the Milwaukee MSA.
According to my calculations on 2009 commuter data (Economic Exchange) supplied by the Census Bureau, Walworth and Jefferson and Dodge Counties have a good chance of being included in both the Milwaukee MSA and CSA. The statisticians at the Bureau will have to settle that one. I can't get anyone at the CB to provide the exact calculation to verify mine.

Interesting to note that Kenosha technically meets the criteria for inclusion into the Milwaukee CSA but it has even a higher exchange with the Chicago CSA, so Chicago takes it.

Separate topic, but possible for Milwaukee and Chicago could be combined into one mega CSA like Baltimore and Wash DC.
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #54
MilwaukeeMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbaiter View Post
According to my calculations on 2009 commuter data (Economic Exchange) supplied by the Census Bureau, Walworth and Jefferson and Dodge Counties have a good chance of being included in both the Milwaukee MSA and CSA. The statisticians at the Bureau will have to settle that one. I can't get anyone at the CB to provide the exact calculation to verify mine.

Interesting to note that Kenosha technically meets the criteria for inclusion into the Milwaukee CSA but it has even a higher exchange with the Chicago CSA, so Chicago takes it.

Separate topic, but possible for Milwaukee and Chicago could be combined into one mega CSA like Baltimore and Wash DC.
i'd like a "who gets Kenosha" topic on here sometime. i think it's ridiculous that Chicago claims it in their metro area-- if anything, I'd put Racine/Kenosha together as independent of both Milwaukee and Chicago. Separating Kenosha from Racine just seems wrong to me. They belong together. If Racine is part of metro Milwaukee, Kenosha ought to be part of metro Milwaukee. It seems that Chicago often thinks it's bigger than it actually is.
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #55
Crankbaiter
Crankbaiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMax View Post
i'd like a "who gets Kenosha" topic on here sometime. i think it's ridiculous that Chicago claims it in their metro area-- if anything, I'd put Racine/Kenosha together as independent of both Milwaukee and Chicago. Separating Kenosha from Racine just seems wrong to me. They belong together. If Racine is part of metro Milwaukee, Kenosha ought to be part of metro Milwaukee. It seems that Chicago often thinks it's bigger than it actually is.
The CB stats guys claim that Kenosha has more "economic exchange" with Lake County, IL, hence the Kenosha-Lake County CBSA. I think this just proves that everything between SW Michigan and Sheboygan is basically one long string of interconnected cities.

Isn't there a thread on that somewhere?
Old August 13th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #56
Steely Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMax View Post
i think it's ridiculous that Chicago claims it in their metro area

It seems that Chicago often thinks it's bigger than it actually is.
i've already explained this to you in another thread, the city of chicago has absolutely NOTHING to do with "claiming" kenosha county as part of its metro area, it's the doing of the census bureau, they are the people who draw the boundaries around MSAs and CSAs by looking at commuter exchange percentages and other data. the census bureau has put kenosha county into chicago's MSA because the commuter exchange between kenosha county and the rest of chicagoland is high enough to warrant doing so. it's really just as simple as that. you might not like that fact, but its an absolutely asinine reason to get mad at chicago for because chicago had nothing to do with it. if you want kenosha added to milwaukee's CSA, then go tell people in kenosha county to leave their jobs in IL and get jobs in metro milwaukee counties. if enough people do that, then the census bureau will flip kenosha to a milwaukee CSA county.
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #57
Jesse276

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i've already explained this to you in another thread, the city of chicago has absolutely NOTHING to do with "claiming" kenosha county as part of its metro area, it's the doing of the census bureau, they are the people who draw the boundaries around MSAs and CSAs by looking at commuter exchange percentages and other data. the census bureau has put kenosha county into chicago's MSA because the commuter exchange between kenosha county and the rest of chicagoland is high enough to warrant doing so. it's really just as simple as that. you might not like that fact, but its an absolutely asinine reason to get mad at chicago for because chicago had nothing to do with it. if you want kenosha added to milwaukee's CSA, then go tell people in kenosha county to leave their jobs in IL and get jobs in metro milwaukee counties. if enough people do that, then the census bureau will flip kenosha to a milwaukee CSA county.
Good point... sometimes people take this stuff too personal. It's all numbers, like it or lump it.
Jesse276 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #58
Steely Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
Good point... sometimes people take this stuff too personal. It's all numbers, like it or lump it.
yes, it's very, very silly to take this stuff personally.

if anything, kenosha's inclusion in chicago's MSA just points to the ever increasing integration of chicagoland and metro milwaukee. the two poles are far enough away from each other to maintain their independence, but that gray middle area, of which kenosha county is ground zero, is now, and will continue to be, ever more muddled and ambiguous.
Old August 13th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #59
Tom in Chicago

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
I revile anything to do with Chicago. We are proud cheeseheads in K-Town. FIBs can go home.
I grew up in K-Town. . . most people from Kenosha would disagree with you. . .

. . .
Old August 14th, 2010, 03:43 AM   #60
mbradleyc
Not Sure

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Chicago View Post
I grew up in K-Town. . . most people from Kenosha would disagree with you. . .

. . .
Well, I grew up here and I like my story better. There are more Brewer fans and far more Packer fans than invaders.
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote