search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala > Kollam

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #2061
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Likes (Received): 7547

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodfish View Post

K Mall, Kollam.
Quite Impressive one. Looks like a 8 - storeyed building.

The below article came in TradeKerala.com:

[IMG]http://i34.************/518vhl.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Reghu; August 27th, 2010 at 05:22 PM.
Reghu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #2062
zodfish

Likes (Received): 19

Kollam Beach{pics}:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reghu View Post
Zod, you are doing a commendable job. Being in Kollam you can contribute more to this forum than anybody else.

It is great that we have a 4-lane seaport road at Kollam. But the road should have been maintained properly with footpaths on either side and lights in the median.

Being a coastal marine drive road in the city, more beautification will make it one of the best roads in the city.
Thanks Reghu. But i have to go back soon, i have limited time only. I will try to enrich as much as i can.

Today I have been to kollam beach and i was surprised seeing the crowd in this place

This is the children's swimming pool.

zodfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #2063
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodfish View Post
Thanks Reghu. But i have to go back soon, i have limited time only. I will try to enrich as much as i can.

Today I have been to kollam beach and i was surprised seeing the crowd in this place

Excellent work again, Zod.

Seems there is a lot of beautification and drainage works pending to make the Kollam Beach & MG Road a prime tourst destination in South Kerala. Already, the Kollam Corporation has sought the help of Kerala Tourism Department for further assistance to complete the comprehensive beach beautification project.

Zod, could you please post some of the latest snaps of the Adventure park, Children's park, and Tangasseri Sea side park if you have any.

By the way, where in Kollam you are put up with. Are you working outside Kerala?
Old August 28th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #2064
Abhionline
Abhishek J

Likes (Received): 0

Nice construction along the beach side by Corporation
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #2065
navjot
Proud to be an Indian

Likes (Received): 1032

Quote:
The Ashramam - Kappanandimukku 4-lane road is getting ready for inaugration before the local body elections. The road works are almost complete except near the Kapplandimukku junction where land acquisition is not complete for widening the road.

The road has a width of around 18 metres with footpath.

[IMG]http://i33.************/xnumo9.jpg[/IMG]

Source - Deepika
excellent news.....
navjot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2066
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Punalur - Schencottah BG conversion work starts next week

The broad gauge conversion work of the Punalur - Schencottah stretch starts at Bhagavatipuram in Tamil Nadu next week. The MG services along this stretch will be stopped from September 30th.

[IMG]http://i37.************/n2e5oi.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i36.************/2d1a4bn.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Reghu; August 29th, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old August 29th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #2067
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Some snaps of the park that is coming up near Thankasseri Fort

The following snaps were taken during May 2010:

[IMG]http://i35.************/lg014.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i34.************/2aaf3bk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i35.************/t96scl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i34.************/2zhl7ja.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i33.************/345j7o3.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Reghu; August 29th, 2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #2068
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Solution to the traffic congestion in Kollam City soon: Collector A. Shajhan

The outgoing Kollam collector A. Shajhan said that the ongoing and the upcoming road infrastructure projects will ease the traffic congestion in Kollam City shortly.

The Chinnakada Underpass, SP office Flyover, new Kochupilamoodu bridge over Kollam canal, completion of Ashramam - Kadappakada - Kappalandimukku 4-lane road and the widening of the Iron bridge will ease the traffic congestion in Kollam City to a great extent.

[IMG]http://i34.************/t5qhax.jpg[/IMG]

Kollam Press Club accords farewell

KOLLAM: A. Shajahan relinquished office as Kollam District Collector on Monday.

The last file he signed related to the identification of five acres of land at Palliman in Nedumbana grama panchayat for housing the proposed mass communications centre that is funded by the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development.

Mr. Shajahan said this while addressing a send-off accorded to him by the Kollam Press Club on Monday.

He said the file had been forwarded to the State government. The land would be formally allocated for the centre after the government issued orders.

Last edited by Reghu; August 31st, 2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:06 AM   #2069
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Mass communication Institute at Pallimon in Kollam - Land acquision done

The outgoing collector A, Shajahan said that 5 acres of land has been earmarked out of the 15 acres available in Pallimon for the upcoming Mass Communication Institute at Pallimon in Kollam.

This was the last file that he has signed before leaving the office. The Mass communication Institute, an institute that is under the Central Hunam Resource Department starts their first institute in Kerala at Pallimon in Kollam.

Shajahan said that Refresher and Regular Mass Media cources will be there in the institute.

Shajahan added that the preliminary steps regarding the land acquisition for the Foreign Language Institute at Kulathupuzha in Kollam is also completed. 50 acres of land will be acquired for the Foreign Language Institute at Kulathupuzha.
Old September 1st, 2010, 03:19 AM   #2070
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Road-widening along Kollam Canal begins

KOLLAM: The works for developing and widening the road along the side of the Kollam Canal from Kallupaalam to Kochupilamoodu has begun. Road-widening has become necessary since a new bridge is coming up across the canal at Kochupilamoodu.

[IMG]http://i53.************/33cpt7c.jpg[/IMG]

The work is meant for easing traffic congestion along the Chinnakkada and to serve as a link for heavy vehicular traffic to and from the Kollam Port. The Rs.90-lakh road development work is expected to be completed in seven months. The road will be widened by erecting a new retaining wall from the side of the canal.

Families rehabilitated
Families living in hutments along the sides of the canal where the wall has to be constructed have been evicted and rehabilitated at a new colony at Eravipuram, constructed with funds under the Tsunami Rehabilitation Project. With the eviction, personnel from the Public Works Department have started construction of wall. PWD officials said the road to Vaddy from the Pukayila-Pandakasala Bridge is being widened to 12.5 metres. The plan for the widening work has been finalised.

The work will involve land acquisition and paper notification for the purpose will be shortly issued.

This road cuts through the Kallupaalam-Kochupilamoodu road at the Pandakasala bridge and will serve as yet another route for vehicles to pass without creating traffic snarls in the city.

Source - The Hindu

Last edited by Reghu; September 4th, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:22 AM   #2071
Reghu
Kollam Rising

33 crore Gas Insulated substation to come up for uninterupted power supply in Kollam city

• Minister to lay stone for substation

• Project to ensure uninterrupted supply

• New building for KSEB Olai section

KOLLAM: Electricity Minister A.K. Balan will on Saturday inaugurate a new building of the KSEB section office at Olai in the city.

The Minister will also unveil a plaque to mark the laying of the foundation stone for a 110 Kv gas insulated substation here.

The substation is being constructed at the Power House complex here at a cost of Rs.33 crore. The project is for ensuring uninterrupted power supply in Kollam city.

The substation will enable hassle free connections for industrial purposes thereby paving the way for industrial growth of the city.

The Olai section office was constructed at a cost of Rs.24 lakh. The building will have more facilities for consumers and staff. An enquiry counter for consumers has been set up at the building.

KSEB electrical circle deputy chief engineer S. Rajendran said the inaugural function would be resided over by Labour Minister P.K. Gurudasan. Mayor V. Rajendrababu would be the chief guest.

N. Peethambara Kurup and K.N. Balagopal, MPs, will speak.
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #2072
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Aranmula Airport Development - A good initiative that may boosts the district's development

The Reliance-Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (R-ADAG) has picked up a 15 per cent stake for Rs225 crore in a new international airport coming up at Aranmula in Pathanamthitta district of central Kerala. The investment was made a few months ago through one of the group's smaller investment companies at Rs486 per share, said executives of KGS Aranmula Airport.

Promoted by KGS Aranmula Airport Ltd at an investment of Rs2,000 crore, it is the first private sector airport in Kerala. The state already has three international airports: Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode. Aranmula airport received a go-ahead from the state government yesterday.

The airport will be situated in the Sabarimala hills, which houses the famous shrine of Lord Ayyappa. Anil Ambani and mother Kokilaben visited the temple in February last year. Over 550,000 devotees throng to Sabarimala between December and February.

The promoters of KGS Developers hold 51 per cent stake in the project, scheduled to be fully operational by December 2012. Aranmula Aviation Ltd, a company promoted by a consortium of Keralite organisations in North America and Mount Zion Trust promoted by local businessman Abraham Kalamannil, holds 30 per cent stake. The state government-owned Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation is also likely to pick up around 10 per cent stake, said P T Nandakumar, CEO, KGS Aranmula Airport Ltd.

The districts of Pathanamthitta, Aalappuzha, Kollam and Kottayam that will be served by the airport have 270,000 residents overseas, mainly in West Asia and the US. Another 600,000 Keralites have migrated to other states. The airport can serve tourists and pilgrims visiting the state, said executives.

R-ADAG’s 15 per cent stake will be in the airport's main promoter, Chennai-based KGS Developers, which is planning real estate projects worth over over Rs11,000 crore in south India, including a business district along the Chennai-Pondicherry corridor. R-ADAG is a 50 per cent partner in three large township projects planned by KGS, which also has a tie-up with Reliance Adlabs to set up shopping mall-cum-multiplexes at 30 locations in 17 cities.

R-ADAG is developing five small airports in Maharashtra through Reliance Airports Ltd, a subsidiary of Reliance Infrastructure.

Asked about the group’s investment in the Aranmula airport, Lalit Jalan, chief executive of Reliance Infrastructure, said: “My company is yet to associate with that airport project or the other real estate projects mentioned.”

"The first phase of the airport, with a runway of 1,800 meters, will be ready by next year. It will be extended to 3,000 meters by the end of December next year," said Nandakumar. In the first phase, planned at an investment of Rs500 crore, the airport can handle only small aircraft. On completing the second phase, wide-bodied aircraft like Airbus can land at the airport. It is expected to handle traffic of 50,000 passengers in first phase and 1.34 lakh every year on completion.

KGS Aranmula Airport is in possession of 350 acres of land and will acquire another 150 acres. Land has been levelled for the first phase and has obtained site clearance from the Ministry of Civil Aviation. The environmental impact assessment report will be submitted soon, said the CEO.

The project will also include 150 acres of real estate development, which will include a five-star hotel managed by the Taj Group, a three-star hotel, a single-star hotel, an international school, and a shopping mall-cum-multiplex. The airport is estimated to generate revenues of Rs10 crore per year.

Above News Source - Business Standard
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #2073
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Kollam - Theni NH 220 should be re-aligned to tap the Aranmula airport advantage

Quote:
The Reliance-Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (R-ADAG) has picked up a 15 per cent stake for Rs225 crore in a new international airport coming up at Aranmula in Pathanamthitta district of central Kerala. The investment was made a few months ago through one of the group's smaller investment companies at Rs486 per share, said executives of KGS Aranmula Airport.

Promoted by KGS Aranmula Airport Ltd at an investment of Rs2,000 crore, it is the first private sector airport in Kerala. The state already has three international airports: Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode. Aranmula airport received a go-ahead from the state government yesterday.

The airport will be situated in the Sabarimala hills, which houses the famous shrine of Lord Ayyappa. Anil Ambani and mother Kokilaben visited the temple in February last year. Over 550,000 devotees throng to Sabarimala between December and February.

The promoters of KGS Developers hold 51 per cent stake in the project, scheduled to be fully operational by December 2012. Aranmula Aviation Ltd, a company promoted by a consortium of Keralite organisations in North America and Mount Zion Trust promoted by local businessman Abraham Kalamannil, holds 30 per cent stake. The state government-owned Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation is also likely to pick up around 10 per cent stake, said P T Nandakumar, CEO, KGS Aranmula Airport Ltd.

The districts of Pathanamthitta, Aalappuzha, Kollam and Kottayam that will be served by the airport have 270,000 residents overseas, mainly in West Asia and the US. Another 600,000 Keralites have migrated to other states. The airport can serve tourists and pilgrims visiting the state, said executives.

R-ADAG’s 15 per cent stake will be in the airport's main promoter, Chennai-based KGS Developers, which is planning real estate projects worth over over Rs11,000 crore in south India, including a business district along the Chennai-Pondicherry corridor. R-ADAG is a 50 per cent partner in three large township projects planned by KGS, which also has a tie-up with Reliance Adlabs to set up shopping mall-cum-multiplexes at 30 locations in 17 cities.

R-ADAG is developing five small airports in Maharashtra through Reliance Airports Ltd, a subsidiary of Reliance Infrastructure.

Asked about the group’s investment in the Aranmula airport, Lalit Jalan, chief executive of Reliance Infrastructure, said: “My company is yet to associate with that airport project or the other real estate projects mentioned.”

"The first phase of the airport, with a runway of 1,800 meters, will be ready by next year. It will be extended to 3,000 meters by the end of December next year," said Nandakumar. In the first phase, planned at an investment of Rs500 crore, the airport can handle only small aircraft. On completing the second phase, wide-bodied aircraft like Airbus can land at the airport. It is expected to handle traffic of 50,000 passengers in first phase and 1.34 lakh every year on completion.

KGS Aranmula Airport is in possession of 350 acres of land and will acquire another 150 acres. Land has been levelled for the first phase and has obtained site clearance from the Ministry of Civil Aviation. The environmental impact assessment report will be submitted soon, said the CEO.

The project will also include 150 acres of real estate development, which will include a five-star hotel managed by the Taj Group, a three-star hotel, a single-star hotel, an international school, and a shopping mall-cum-multiplex. The airport is estimated to generate revenues of Rs10 crore per year.

Above News Source - Business Standard
Aranmula airport will be the second airport within a 65 -75 Kms distance from Kollam city. Though the proposed airport is in Pathanamthitta district, Kollam district is definitely going to reap the benefits especially the northern and eastern regions and the major towns located here. Major town in Kollam like Kottarakkara, Karunagapally, Pathanapuram and Shathancotta are just 60 to 70 Kms away from the proposed International airport. This will boost the development dreams of these towns as well.

The airport may pave the way for more industrial and technology parks in Pathanathittha, Kottyam and Kollam districts in the central and southern Tranvencore region.

The route of the proposed NH 220 Kollam - Theni should pass through the proposed airport site to reach Kottayam. This will reduce the distance considerably to the airport from Kollam and Kottayam cities. The existing alignment of the NH 220 is cutting accross the north-eastern regions of the district. Authorities should re-align the route to capitalize the airport potential as well.

Last edited by Reghu; September 4th, 2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #2074
alagesan

Likes (Received): 153

Chennai to Kollam train through nellai

HI Friends,

After gauge conversion is over from Nellai to Kollam,

HOw will be the patronage if Chennai to Kollam train through nellai is newly introduced?

Give your feedbacks.
alagesan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #2075
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 34

Kollam-Madras Express was running through this route for years, which was stopped once gauge conversion started in the route.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #2076
Kiru_PTA

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Aranmula airport will be the second airport within a 65 -75 Kms distance from Kollam city. Though the proposed airport is in Pathanamthitta district, Kollam district is definitely going to reap the benefits especially the northern and eastern regions and the major towns located here. Major town in Kollam like Kottarakkara, Karunagapally, Pathanapuram and Shathancotta are just 60 to 70 Kms away from the proposed International airport. This will boost the development dreams of these towns as well.

The airport may pave the way for more industrial and technology parks in Pathanathittha, Kottyam and Kollam districts in the central and southern Tranvencore region.

The route of the proposed NH 220 Kollam - Theni should pass through the proposed airport site to reach Kottayam. This will reduce the distance considerably to the airport from Kollam and Kottayam cities. The existing alignment of the NH 220 is cutting accross the north-eastern regions of the district. Authorities should re-align the route to capitalize the airport potential as well.
Hi Raghu,

I welcome your proposal to realign the NH 220 via Aranmula. But without NH also the connectivity to Aranmula will be improved in the near future. Please see some of the road development projects which will improve the connectivity to Aranmula:

1) M C Road (SH-1) - Phase-I (TVM- Chengannur) is nearing completion. Chenagannur- Muvattupuzha stretch will be developed under KSTP-II.
2) Punalur-Pathanamthitta-Muvattupuzha road (SH-8) - will be developed under KSTP-II. ( There is a proposal to convert this road as NH)
3) Thiruvalla - Kozhencherry - Pathanamthitta - Kumbazha (SH-7) - Will be developed under the Sabarimala heavy mainteanace project.
4) Pandalam - Aranmaula - Will be developed under the Sabarimala heavy mainteanace project. (It is part of the "Thiruvabharana patha")
5) Adoor - thumpamon - kozhencerry road - widening in progress. (This road will be the shortest one from Adoor to Aranmaula).
6) Mavelikkara - Chengannur- Aranmula- Kozhencherry (SH-10) - developed by KSTP two years back and the road is on good shape.

Also some roads which connect the airport site to different state highways have been included in the "Stimulus package - 2009" and widening is in progress.
The only road that is left out is the Kottayam - Kozhencherry Highway (SH-9). This road also should be widended to provide good connectivity to the eastern part of Kottayam district.
Kiru_PTA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #2077
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru_PTA View Post
Hi Raghu,

I welcome your proposal to realign the NH 220 via Aranmula. But without NH also the connectivity to Aranmula will be improved in the near future. Please see some of the road development projects which will improve the connectivity to Aranmula:

1) M C Road (SH-1) - Phase-I (TVM- Chengannur) is nearing completion. Chenagannur- Muvattupuzha stretch will be developed under KSTP-II.
2) Punalur-Pathanamthitta-Muvattupuzha road (SH-8) - will be developed under KSTP-II. ( There is a proposal to convert this road as NH)
3) Thiruvalla - Kozhencherry - Pathanamthitta - Kumbazha (SH-7) - Will be developed under the Sabarimala heavy mainteanace project.
4) Pandalam - Aranmaula - Will be developed under the Sabarimala heavy mainteanace project. (It is part of the "Thiruvabharana patha")
5) Adoor - thumpamon - kozhencerry road - widening in progress. (This road will be the shortest one from Adoor to Aranmaula).
6) Mavelikkara - Chengannur- Aranmula- Kozhencherry (SH-10) - developed by KSTP two years back and the road is on good shape.

Also some roads which connect the airport site to different state highways have been included in the "Stimulus package - 2009" and widening is in progress.
The only road that is left out is the Kottayam - Kozhencherry Highway (SH-9). This road also should be widended to provide good connectivity to the eastern part of Kottayam district.
Kiru PTA, my point was regarding the route alignement of the proposed NH 220.

The following news came in the The Hindu almost a year back regarding the row over the road route alignment and the route is not finalised yet. Since the Aranmula airport is going to be a reality, the NH 220 should touch the airport so that the districts of Kollam and Alleppy will also get the benefit apart from Pathanamthita. Future developments can be planned for these districts if the NH 220 road is in good shape.

Row over road route

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action council submits memo

Plea to retain finalised route

Council sees move to upset alignment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
KOLLAM: The Kollam-Theni National Highway Action Council has called upon people’s representatives to ensure that the first phase of the Kollam-Theni NH 220 passes only through the route finalised and proposed by the State government.

The alignment for the first phase proposed by the State government is Kollam- Anchalumoodu- Kundara- Perayam-Bharankavu- Charumoodu- Kollakadavu- Chengannur. The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways had been formally informed about it.

In a petition to Kollam MP N. Peethambara Kurup, Mavelikara MP Kodikunnil Suresh and Kundara MLA and Education Minister M.A. Baby, the council alleged that vested interests within the National Highway office were trying to upset this alignment and were promoting the Kollam- Kottarakara- Chengannur alignment. The State government had objected to it because the Kollam- Kottarakara section was already NH 208 and the Kottarakara- Chengannur section was State Highway No.1 which needed no further development.

The failure of the National Highway office in the State to recognise the State government’s proposal had converted the first phase of the NH 220 into a dispute. As a result, uncertainty looms large over the commissioning of the first phase. The second phase of NH 220 from Chengannur to Kumali and the third phase from Kumali to Theni had already become a full-fledged highway.

Action council chairman K.B. Mahendra alleged in the petition that following the State government’s rejection of the Kollam- Kottarakara- Chengannur alignment, vested interests in the National Highway office were now proposing a new alignment through Munroe Thuruthu. This was to deliberately sabotage the alignment proposed by the State government, the action council members said.

The petition urged the people’s representatives to urgently take up the issue with the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways so as to ensure the Centre’s clearance for the State government’s proposed alignment. Vice-chairman of the action council D. Sindhuraj said any move to divert the alignment would lead to a strong agitation.
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #2078
Kiru_PTA

Likes (Received): 3

Hi Raghu,

Got your point. The alignment via Bharanikavu is passing mainly through the villages of Kollam and Alappuzha districts. No major towns are there in this alignment. So if they approve this alignment it will bring development to a vast area.
Kiru_PTA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #2079
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru_PTA View Post

Hi Raghu,

Got your point. The alignment via Bharanikavu is passing mainly through the villages of Kollam and Alappuzha districts. No major towns are there in this alignment. So if they approve this alignment it will bring development to a vast area.
Yes, I agree to your point as well. But the alignment is not yet finalized especially the route in Kollam district as there is a row going on whether it should pass through the Anchalumoodu - Perumon - Bharanickavu or through the Anchalumoodu - Kundara - Bharanickavu route whereas
already a descent road exisits in the later case. The towns in the region should be linked to this NH 220 with good wide roads.
Old September 9th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #2080
ajithv

Likes (Received): 346

• The Punalur-Shengottai MG line will closed from September 20th for guage conversion

Source : Mathrubhumi

ajithv no está en línea   Reply With Quote