daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Old September 8th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #61
woodgnome
CEO, Dingly Dell Corp.

Likes (Received): 311

BUJ Architects tweaks Docklands tower

-- Link to BD Online article --

BUJ Architects is making a second attempt to win planning for a skyscraper on the Isle of Dogs. Its first application for a glazed hotel standing up to 40 storeys tall was thrown out by Tower Hamlets’ strategic development committee this spring, against the wishes of council officers.

A slightly whittled down version of the project – a 305 room boutique hotel, now standing up to 39 storeys (124m) tall – will face the committee again next week (September 16th). If approved, the building will become part of a new cluster of skyscrapers planned for an area close to Canary Wharf.

The original scheme was thrown out in May, after the committee decreed the proposals too tall and bulky. Cabe said the new application has “come forward prematurely” and has raised concerns that the design does not satisfy “the stringent quality requirements” necessary for a tall building in the location. It is also concerned about the “awkward” internal layout. However council design officers are delighted by the “refined and well considered” new design.

The building is visually separated into two sections – a nine storey plinth and an interlocking tower. Its glazed cladding is made up of saffron-hued glass panels with horizontal aluminium channels at alternate levels.

Other towers planned for the site include Foster & Partners’ City Pride tower which, at 63 storeys and 209m, will be one of the tallest residential towers in the UK.

Original design (not revised):
London is not a city. It is more like a country, and living in it is like living in Holland or Belgium. Its completeness makes it deceptive - there are sidewalks from one frontier to the other - and its hugeness makes it possible for everyone to invent his own city. My London is not your London, though everyone's Washington, DC is pretty much the same.
The London Embassy - Paul Theroux
woodgnome no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #62
Madman
London 2012

Likes (Received): 7

Hmm not being a graphical snob but I get slightly uneasy at any architectural practice designing a major tower that willingly releases plain unadultered sketchup imagery as means to sell the scheme - combined with hints at randomised cladding, it all makes me a bit uneasy about this one.
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #63
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgnome View Post
Other towers planned for the site include Foster & Partners’ City Pride tower which, at 63 storeys and 209m, will be one of the tallest residential towers in the UK.
Would love to hear more about this one soon.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #64
Madman
London 2012

^ other than it receiving planning late last year not much to hear - I have suspicions it might end up like another Columbus...
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #65
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Hmm not being a graphical snob but I get slightly uneasy at any architectural practice designing a major tower that willingly releases plain unadultered sketchup imagery as means to sell the scheme - combined with hints at randomised cladding, it all makes me a bit uneasy about this one.
I disagree. I often find the renders released are confusing and attempt to hide the details of the building behind surrounding buildings. When you see a sketchup image like that it's much easier to work out the overall shape and proportion the building will have, as well as noticing some of the details usually hidden in fancier renders, like that window cleaning arm.

Obviously there should always be high quality renders, but I'd love to see more of the basic renders that allow the eye to focus more on the overall shape and proportion of a building than on the facade and materials.

Flickr

Pinterest
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #66
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1444

Is that top 'deck' on the curved portion going to be public outdoor space for the sky restaurant?

Last edited by DarJoLe; September 9th, 2010 at 06:04 AM.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #67
delores

Likes (Received): 110

this really is a filler building isn't it?
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #68
london lad

Likes (Received): 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post

Yes, it's no better or worse than what will surround it ( i.e. 40MW & Arrowhead Quay) so its all the more curious why TH have such a problem with it. I mean how can this be rejected for being to tall for the area when it will be surrounded by taller buildings eventually and in any of the longer views it will just merge into the mass of the taller towers.

You really have to question TH logic sometimes.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #69
potto

Likes (Received): 1315

and why is there a height reduction when the original complaint was that it was too bulky?!
potto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #70
Team Brian GB

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
It does appear to have quite a significant soar factor as opposed to much of the Docklands.

And is it me or is there a slight overhang on the lefthand side of the render?
Team Brian GB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM   #71
woodgnome
CEO, Dingly Dell Corp.

Likes (Received): 311

Permission granted

-- Link to The Pint of Milk article --

Permission was granted yesterday (17th Sept) for a 39 storey hotel in Docklands on Marsh Wall. The scheme will comprise 305 hotel beds and include a swimming pool, spa and gym on the 35th floor. Included in the S106 payments are £424,627 towards Crossrail, £30,000 towards the Olympic volunteering programme, £108,000 towards the council's 'leisure marketing and promotion' as well £30,250 towards Tower Hamlets 'business tourism marketing'. In total £1,660,000 will be offered in S106 contributions, an increase of £400,000 since last year when a similar scheme was refused. The developer is Marsh Wall Chelsea, a joint venture between parties which should hopefully become more obvious in time.
London is not a city. It is more like a country, and living in it is like living in Holland or Belgium. Its completeness makes it deceptive - there are sidewalks from one frontier to the other - and its hugeness makes it possible for everyone to invent his own city. My London is not your London, though everyone's Washington, DC is pretty much the same.
The London Embassy - Paul Theroux
woodgnome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:07 PM   #72
connorwilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Looks a bit like 1/3 of Tower 42
connorwilliams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:20 PM   #73
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 52

That's good news and the juicy bit of that article is the following -

"In other docklands news and just along the road, lies the City Pride pub. Glenkerrin bought the site for £32million back in 2007. They then got Norman Foster to design what would be the tallest residential development in the UK (if built of course), it will provide 430 residential units along with 203 hotel rooms. It's now thought Glenkerrin want to sell the site and have been quietly marketing it to a number of investors, looking for at least £30m. Tomorrows EG has the full story."
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:23 AM   #74
Supertall Robbo
on Clapham Common

Likes (Received): 4

Good filler for canary wharf, will hopefully expand the skyline a bit more. hoping to see this one rising
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:26 AM   #75
london lad

Likes (Received): 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertall Robbo View Post
Good filler for canary wharf, will hopefully expand the skyline a bit more. hoping to see this one rising
Its not in CW but South Quay and its another small scale developer so I doubt it will be starting anytime soon. Still on to add to the ever expanding pipeline.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:30 PM   #76
Waynflete

Likes (Received): 1

http://www.gerardnolan.co.uk/property/40-marsh-wall

This site is currently being advertised for sale.
Waynflete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:39 PM   #77
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2234

Terrible looking tower...definitely a filler to me.

***LET'S STOP PET ABANDONMENT***, SIGN HERE
Jex7844 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:50 PM   #78
CheekySlut
BANNED

[deleted]

Last edited by CheekySlut; January 21st, 2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: double post
CheekySlut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:52 PM   #79
CheekySlut
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
Ugh.... I hate random cladding!!
Yup. I can, generally, understand differences in taste; but I really can't understand how anyone finds random cladding aesthetically pleasing. It reminds me of those sickly multicoloured fabrics on old coach seats, or train seats.
CheekySlut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:16 PM   #80
dutchsnookerfan

we need fillers if we have enouf of them and some 200m + canary wharf will look like toronto!

i think it doesnt look so bad only the color is not oke.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: