daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average.
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #81
neohistoryman

Likes (Received): 8

Thumbs up Library officially opened

http://news.chennaionline.com/chenna...9586f046bb.col

Chennai, Sep 15: Chief Minister M Karunanidhi today inaugurated a multi-storeyed high-tech library, built at a cost of over Rs 170 crore here. The complex, built on 3.75 lakh square feet at Kotturpuram here, will have more than two lakh books and also subscribe to over 10,000 e-magazines, officials said.

The library has separate sections for children and senior citizens and an open air theater with a capacity of more than 1,200 people.

A Braille section on the ground floor, to benefit of the visually challenged users, will have at least 25,000 titles and also "talking books". The fourth floor has been dedicated to Dravidian and other Indian languages.
neohistoryman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #82
satishanu

Likes (Received): 729

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...icle811453.ece
satishanu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #83
Arasu
The King

Likes (Received): 564

The government of TN should consider building atleast ten such libraries in major towns of the state. Atleast the top ten cities in the state deserve such facilities if not each district headquarters. Building a big library such as this one would lead to a major spread of knowledge and information. Indians are not known to have such great libraries and such new libraries will inculcate a renewed interest in the young minds and will even make them travel a hundred or so kilometres to access such facilities when made available.
Arasu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #84
Arasu
The King

Likes (Received): 564

Coming to think about it, it will be great idea to shelve free veshti, saelai, palpodi, tv, etc schemes and implement providing libraries in the district hqrs. The people and the future generations will be ever greatful to the politicians of TN. Can Stalin/MK listen to this request and heed to it?

Besides some alangaara valaivugal, TNLA, the libraries will be another thing for which MK will be remembered if he makes arrangements for construction of libraries.
Arasu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #85
Indian Sun

Likes (Received): 320

I visited the library today.

The first thought that comes to you is, it's humongous. Landscaping and parking lot works are still underway.

The staff are polite and helpful. Even chatty at times. They assist you in English ,Tamil and Hindi. (Neenga moonu baashayum pesuvengala sir ? Neenga Chennai dhana illa vera ooril irundhu varengala sir ? is what they asked me)

The reception is beautiful - there is an ornate and huge traditional lamp, and a beautifully designed help desk, with, again, people who will gladly assist you.

Cameras are allowed, but mine currently has a lens problem. Sorry for the lack of pictures.

Only the first floor is open, works are still underway on the other floors.

The first floor has a journals/magazines section (good collections) and a children's section (the one with the tree). Only children (with one parent) can enter the latter - the age limit is 14.

Currently, the feedback forms are paper based, or one can mail to acl.chn@gmail.com.

The wood-flooring finish is incomplete in places, creaky in some. An assistant said they would be looked into.

Apparently, January 14th is official date for the complete opening.

As I left, the security person at the main concourse asked me my opinion of the library. I said it's too early to say, but the structure is very impressive. A good experience, overall. After Jan 14th, this would be a must-visit place.

Old October 17th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #86
darkprinz
DP

Likes (Received): 746

Do they have AUTOCAR , New scientist and all in magazines section ?
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #87
Indian Sun

Yes. They even stock magazines not available in India, like Buses, a UK magazine and the like.

Oh, and, though I think I'm the youngest member here, if there's anyone who, or whose child is preparing for IIT-JEE,AIEEE,CAT and other entrance exams, there's a lot of material, and a quiet modern ambience to study
Old October 17th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #88
bharathkasthuri

Likes (Received): 0

The library is pretty decent, modern. Only 1 floor operational, rest might take 2-3 months to open.

They should have planned for atleast 2 levels of underground car parking. THe empty space i(surrounding the building) s now used as car parking.

I think food court is not also open.
bharathkasthuri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #89
kongutamizhan

Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathkasthuri View Post
The library is pretty decent, modern. Only 1 floor operational.
Why is the current administration hell bent on opening uncompleted buildings? Why can't wait till completion? I hope they understand it also opens up safety issues.
kongutamizhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #90
dis.agree

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongutamizhan View Post
Why is the current administration hell bent on opening uncompleted buildings? Why can't wait till completion? I hope they understand it also opens up safety issues.
what is wrong with that? haven't you seen malls do soft opening. ampa mall was a bad experience for many months.

in this case, atleast they completed full floor and indian_sun says it was a good experience. infact it is good management practice to do such phased openings and ensure infrastructure is better used.
dis.agree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #91
kongutamizhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis.agree View Post
what is wrong with that? haven't you seen malls do soft opening. ampa mall was a bad experience for many months.

in this case, atleast they completed full floor and indian_sun says it was a good experience. infact it is good management practice to do such phased openings and ensure infrastructure is better used.
Nothing wrong in opening any buildings (be it library or restaurant) even room by room and no one will complain or notice safety issues until some bad thing happens because of their decision. (Like people are hurt or die). All our decision makers should be made to go back to school and read this story again and again till they get it in their head.

Phased opening are okay as long as buildings are apart. Opening restroom first, first-floor next, followed by 1/2 of second floor next etc... will not fall under phased opening.

And now to the story. I wish we act like "Plan Ahead" and not "Wait and see"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Three fish lived in a pond. One was named Plan Ahead, another was Think Fast, and the third was named Wait and See. One day they heard a fisherman say that he was going to cast his net in their pond the next day.

Plan Ahead said, "I'm swimming down the river tonight!

Think Fast said, "I'm sure I'll come up with a plan.

Wait and See lazily said, "I just can't think about it now!"

When the fisherman cast his nets, Plan Ahead was long gone. But Think Fast and Wait and See were caught!

Think Fast quickly rolled his belly up and pretended to be dead. "Oh, this fish is no good!" said the fisherman, and threw him safely back into the water. But, Wait and See ended up in the fish market.

That is why they say, "In times of danger, when the net is cast, plan ahead or plan to think fast!"
-------------------------------------------------------------
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #92
darkprinz
DP

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Sun View Post
Yes. They even stock magazines not available in India, like Buses, a UK magazine and the like.

Oh, and, though I think I'm the youngest member here, if there's anyone who, or whose child is preparing for IIT-JEE,AIEEE,CAT and other entrance exams, there's a lot of material, and a quiet modern ambience to study
am only 21 .. they have plans for including film making , cinema books in the library .. any website for the lib ?
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #93
ChennaiIndian

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Summa, ungala verupaethuvadharku thaan apadi seigeraargal!
ChennaiIndian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #94
karthikarthik

Likes (Received): 113

Yesterday there was a TV show(Kalaignar TV) with Cheran(Tamil Movie Director) taken in the Library.
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #95
Indian Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkprinz View Post
am only 21 .. they have plans for including film making , cinema books in the library .. any website for the lib ?
Ha, I'm 20. I dunno if there is any website, did not notice any sign showing an url.
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #96
Murali Bala

Likes (Received): 46

A freind of mine visited the libraray and was telling that almost 70% of the work is yet to be completed. Not sure why they open up just for the sake of opening up the Librarary. Still construction work and interiors is in progress in many floors.
Murali Bala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #97
kongutamizhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murali Bala View Post
A freind of mine visited the libraray and was telling that almost 70% of the work is yet to be completed. Not sure why they open up just for the sake of opening up the Librarary. Still construction work and interiors is in progress in many floors.
That's what I heard too. Wait till someone is injured or dies of construction activity inside. (or because of security lapse owing to construction). That's the time people will wake up and question.

Now we are proud to have a semi-constructed legislative assembly and a library fully opened and operational for public. Wow, this could happen only in India
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #98
jyas

Likes (Received): 4

MK is one who wants his name on every 'kalvettu'. I'm sure by now he will be thinking of when to open SS Canal before his last breath.

Quote:
That's what I heard too. Wait till someone is injured or dies of construction activity inside. (or because of security lapse owing to construction). That's the time people will wake up and question.

Now we are proud to have a semi-constructed legislative assembly and a library fully opened and operational for public. Wow, this could happen only in India
jyas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #99
kongutamizhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyas View Post
MK is one who wants his name on every 'kalvettu'. I'm sure by now he will be thinking of when to open SS Canal before his last breath.
sshh!! Don't be loud with your idea. If he hears it, he'll call Thottatharani, build a cineset of SS canal at Tuticorin and announce a grand opening within a month with kuthu dances and kalaigner kavi arangams
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #100
Indian Sun

Ok, before you guys run away with it, let me tell you the truth - the areas open to the public are finished, and the areas which aren't finished are off limits. I don't see anyone getting injured or dying unless you set up a murder trap there.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: